Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
77.50%
Raceland
22.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville vs Raceland (1A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)
This will be a tough game but feel like history repeats itself and we he panthers bring home another state title. If the rams were to win I’d also be ok with that. They’ve worked and worked to get to this point each year. This brings me to my question. If Raceland doesn’t get it done this year, how much longer would they have to wait to possibly look at another state championship? What’s their future looking like after this really good class graduates?
(11-25-2023, 02:47 PM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote: This will be a tough game but feel like history repeats itself and we he panthers bring home another state title. If the rams were to win I’d also be ok with that. They’ve worked and worked to get to this point each year. This brings me to my question. If Raceland doesn’t get it done this year, how much longer would they have to wait to possibly look at another state championship? What’s their future looking like after this really good class graduates?
We will definitely take a step back after this season but the cupboard won’t be completely bare either.  I would expect the 2024 version of Raceland to be similar to what Sayre or Middlesboro were this season.
When it comes to rematches, I’ll take a Paul Sullivan defense every time. Add Anthony, the best player in Class A IMO, into the mix this time around on both sides of the ball.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • jetpilot
We attended the first Pikeville-Raceland game and since that warm September night, Pikeville's kicking game has greatly improved with the addition of Looney. Anthony's return has been a huge factor.
Penalties and missed tackles, however, will need improvement to win against a physical Raceland.
This will be a great game. I'm thinking a classic close game with Pikeville having "home field advantage," but Raceland will exploit any mistakes, and Raceland will attempt onside kicks and a trick play, so Pikeville must be prepared.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The 99's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Pikeville through out the playoffs has had the approach of Stop Anthony if you can and no one has as of yet. If Raceland allows him 200+ yards there is no way to win. Make someone else beat you or Panthers are bringing trophy home again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Truewords's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(11-25-2023, 04:46 PM)Truewords Wrote: Pikeville through out the playoffs has had the approach of Stop Anthony if you can and no one has as of yet. If Raceland allows him 200+ yards there is no way to win. Make someone else beat you or Panthers are bringing trophy home again.
Anthony is a runaway freight train hauling tanks. Opposing coaches say "wrap up on him" Easier said than done! Btw, just a junior
Raceland wins by 10 (24-14). Both teams will be ready for the moment but I just believe the Rams have the program this year and have responded to the challenges ahead of them. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Pikeville wins.
Raceland will be taking a step back for a season while their youth gets their footing next year. But they will be right in the thick of it to get to Kroger again. I just don’t see enough from anyone else to challenge Raceland or Pikeville other than Raceland or Pikeville over the next 4 or 5 years. Maybe even longer (pending alignment changes of course). Cville, KCD, Sayre, Paris, basically every top ten team outside of Raceland and Pikeville lose huge classes. Raceland and Pikeville lose big classes, but replace them with a lot of skill, size, ability, and big game experience. I just don’t see anyone challenging them in this alignment.
Anthony runs for 250 plus and Panthas by 4 scores
(11-25-2023, 11:13 AM)Patriot1 Wrote: If Pikeville plays the way they have in the last 2 games Rams by 14 because if the defense can’t stop the offense they have faced in the last 2 weeks they definitely won’t be able to stop Racelands running game but who knows what these young men will do on the big stage
Correct sir.
(11-25-2023, 08:40 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: This one is bound to be a slobber knocker. It’s the game both fan bases wanted. Hell it’s the game that 90% of the state wanted. Round 2 is higher scoring but not by a huge amount. Still weighing my thoughts on the outcome…

I mean no disrespect to either school but 90% of the state doesn't flying flock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Walt Longmire
(11-26-2023, 08:12 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 08:40 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: This one is bound to be a slobber knocker. It’s the game both fan bases wanted. Hell it’s the game that 90% of the state wanted. Round 2 is higher scoring but not by a huge amount. Still weighing my thoughts on the outcome…

I mean no disrespect to either school but 90% of the state doesn't flying flock.

Yet Corbin fans are reading the thread. How's basketball practice going?
[-] The following 11 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Belichick, Deuce8, Glory_Days, Humpty Dumpty, Jarons, Orange Blaze, Ramcat77, Redneck, The 99, VoR_58, Waitaminute
Lmao JP!!!
My "laid-back" retirement job is taking me out of town this week. I'm a Ram fan and I feel this is truly a toss up. I just want them to have fun, take in the experience, and know their community is proud no matter the outcome. I've come to respect the Pikeville program so if we lose then congratulations to Pikeville. If I return home to a town painted more orange than it already is then that's just the icing on the cake. That's all I got for this week before heading to church and then hitting the road. God bless and keep both teams safe and injury free.
[-] The following 2 users Like i82much's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty, Patriot1
First let’s be honest neither team is any way as good as last years teams. That just proves that this is probably minus RPI issues your title matchup for the next few years . With that said Pikeville has a great back in Anthony but Raceland has Wallace and he has never been given the ball this much in the playoffs . He is a load and will drag guys for extra yards all day . Honestly if both teams run as often as they have been this game will be over in about an hour.Give me the Rams 14-13 but it is not going to be easy.
(11-26-2023, 12:38 PM)Ramfan04 Wrote: First let’s be honest neither team is any way as good as last years teams. That just proves that this is probably minus RPI issues your title matchup for the next few years . With that said Pikeville has a great back in Anthony but Raceland has Wallace and he has never been given the ball this much in the playoffs . He is a load and will drag guys for extra yards all day . Honestly if both teams run as often as they have been this game will be over in about an hour.Give me the Rams 14-13 but it is not going to be easy.

Good first posts, I agree with you on most points.

I picked my Panthers 34-21 but admittedly picked with my heart.

Personally the last 2 times Pikeville and Raceland played in the playoffs I was very confident the Panthers would win, this year I really do see a game that could go either way.

Last year Raceland HAD to limit Birchfield to have a chance, that ended about 10 seconds into the game.  This year they NEED to limit Anthony imo and he's been on a heck of a run the past several games so the Rams run defense needs to have a good game.
I agree talent level is closer this season. After watching a couple of Raceland games in person and seeing Campbellsville in person last week, I think Campbellsville was the tougher game for Pikeville. I’ve gone back and watched a few other games of all those teams and they are honestly all close and could beat each other on any given day. I wouldn’t have said that before seeing them in person but Campbellsville belonged in that conversation. Pikeville is the most talented, complete, best team or whatever you wanna call it in 1A but that team doesn’t always win. I can’t see Raceland running as effectively as they have the past couple weeks against lesser defenses. Rams weren’t able to move the ball well the first meeting and Pikeville had several drives but shot themselves in the foot or didn’t finish. In the end, Raceland won that first meeting. They have great players but not the speed of some of the Eagles or even a couple of Middlesboro kids. Both teams have to do a better job hanging onto the rock. Several fumbles last couple of weeks from both. Turnovers will be huge. Watch special teams. Raceland almost got on a couple of squib kicks that bounced Pikeville’s way that first meeting. Also, Raceland won on a blocked XP first meeting. Pikeville missed an XP this week. That is the one area I think Raceland has a clear advantage. Hidden yardage to be found there also. It’ll be a good game but I’m sticking with my Pikeville pick 28-14.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Neither team will score 28 in my opinion but if one team does they win this game but I see it a lot like the first game low scoring game
(11-26-2023, 12:38 PM)Ramfan04 Wrote: First let’s be honest neither team is any way as good as last years teams. That just proves that this is probably minus RPI issues your title matchup for the next few years . With that said Pikeville has a great back in Anthony but Raceland has Wallace and he has never been given the ball this much in the playoffs . He is a load and will drag guys for extra yards all day . Honestly if both teams run as often as they have been this game will be over in about an hour.Give me the Rams 14-13 but it is not going to be easy.
He had 25 carries against Sayre for 210 yards & he had 15 for 128 against KCD. He didn't need to carry it much against Frankfort. Keep in mind he's playing both ways, & is just as important on defense in my opinion. Having said all of that, I think the way the game is going will dictate how many carries he gets.
i agree with the poster who said pikeville matches up better with raceland than their last two opponents. i think pikeville wins this going away. if im raceland, i sell my soul to contain anthony and if duty beats me i go to sleep knowing anthony didn't. that young man eats bricks and nails, by the way.

pikeville 36-7
What’s the match up differences people are seeing to give Pikeville the advantage? Just interested to hear opinions on what makes Mboro and Cville tougher match ups for Pikeville than what Raceland does. Not arguing…just finally in a thread with some logical people who will talk some football lol
This one is going to be a lot different than their first meeting with Brenden Anthony being in the Panther linep

Panthers 28
Rams 14
I think Pikeville is an alight favorite but Raceland winning wouldn’t be an upset to me. I think this game will come down to about 2-3 plays. Last year Raceland was driving and had a fumble that was returned for a td and then the Hail Mary right before halftime. If anything like that happens either way that will decide the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Orange Blaze
Raceland hangs around longer in this final than last time, but Pikeville pulls away. Raceland barely avoids the clock.
(11-27-2023, 12:12 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: What’s the match up differences people are seeing to give Pikeville the advantage? Just interested to hear opinions on what makes Mboro and Cville tougher match ups for Pikeville than what Raceland does. Not arguing…just finally in a thread with some logical people who will talk some football lol
I think maybe what people are eluding to Scotty is that CV and MB had a few more explosive type athletes than what they feel Raceland has. But as a whole, I personally think Raceland is a much better “Team” than either CV or MB. Both MB and CV allowed some pretty explosive plays to Pikeville which I’m betting will be much tougher to bust against Raceland, even with Anthony. I think this game will be very similar to the first game, lots of grind it out type drives that eat clock. Also can Pikeville hit any of those big plays over the top that they missed in the first game, because you gotta think that Raceland is going to have to get a few more defenders up closer to the LOS so the opportunities are going to be there and if you hit them it could be the difference in the game. Also, and here’s where I think most are talking about matchup type deal, Pikevilles defense gave up some big yardage type plays to CV and even a few to MB due to those explosive athletes. Not sure if Raceland has that dude who can take it to the house on any given play, obviously you think Wallace is probably the closest to that……But if Raceland has to go on a 12-15 play drive to score it gives many more opportunities for something to go wrong….one bad play, a holding call , a bobbled snap, whatever and it screws an entire drive. To me the last two weeks Pikevilles defense has been uncharacteristically allowing teams to have success on the edges and with that QB counter, now is that due to missed assignments, personnel,  or just due to those more explosive type athletes that CV had? That’s going to be the question, if Pikeville holds Raceland to 7 points again then I’d say it’s a given that Pikeville wins #8, because I just don’t see Raceland holding Pikeville under 14 this time. Can Raceland pop some big plays too like CV did, and get some quick scores? Guess we get to see. I honestly think Raceland can definitely win, if they can score 21 or more. I expect this to be a great game, hope both teams play their best and let the chips fall where they may. I’m a Pikeville guy obviously and will be pulling for the Panthers! I was glad to see the Panthers have to play a full game hard, I think they needed that in preparation for Raceland. This game will certainly be the toughest test that each have faced throughout the playoffs, so these people talking about matchups shouldn’t diminish that in any way. The two best teams in Single A are playing, thank God for the RPI hahaha.

Why do I always write novels?
(11-27-2023, 01:13 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 12:12 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: What’s the match up differences people are seeing to give Pikeville the advantage? Just interested to hear opinions on what makes Mboro and Cville tougher match ups for Pikeville than what Raceland does. Not arguing…just finally in a thread with some logical people who will talk some football lol
I think maybe what people are eluding to Scotty is that CV and MB had a few more explosive type athletes than what they feel Raceland has. But as a whole, I personally think Raceland is a much better “Team” than either CV or MB. Both MB and CV allowed some pretty explosive plays to Pikeville which I’m betting will be much tougher to bust against Raceland, even with Anthony. I think this game will be very similar to the first game, lots of grind it out type drives that eat clock. Also can Pikeville hit any of those big plays over the top that they missed in the first game, because you gotta think that Raceland is going to have to get a few more defenders up closer to the LOS so the opportunities are going to be there and if you hit them it could be the difference in the game. Also, and here’s where I think most are talking about matchup type deal, Pikevilles defense gave up some big yardage type plays to CV and even a few to MB due to those explosive athletes. Not sure if Raceland has that dude who can take it to the house on any given play, obviously you think Wallace is probably the closest to that……But if Raceland has to go on a 12-15 play drive to score it gives many more opportunities for something to go wrong….one bad play, a holding call , a bobbled snap, whatever and it screws an entire drive. To me the last two weeks Pikevilles defense has been uncharacteristically allowing teams to have success on the edges and with that QB counter, now is that due to missed assignments, personnel,  or just due to those more explosive type athletes that CV had? That’s going to be the question, if Pikeville holds Raceland to 7 points again then I’d say it’s a given that Pikeville wins #8, because I just don’t see Raceland holding Pikeville under 14 this time. Can Raceland pop some big plays too like CV did, and get some quick scores? Guess we get to see. I honestly think Raceland can definitely win, if they can score 21 or more. I expect this to be a great game, hope both teams play their best and let the chips fall where they may. I’m a Pikeville guy obviously and will be pulling for the Panthers! I was glad to see the Panthers have to play a full game hard, I think they needed that in preparation for Raceland. This game will certainly be the toughest test that each have faced throughout the playoffs, so these people talking about matchups shouldn’t diminish that in any way. The two best teams in Single A are playing, thank God for the RPI hahaha.

Why do I always write novels?
I understand those points but KCD had some really good athletes as well.  That team wasn’t a slouch either and they had a lot of talent on the field.   Their QB is committed to Southern Illinois and has been clocked at a 4.41 in the 40. They also had a receiver that has several D1 offers as well. Raceland has done a good job playing good team football and has a pretty good group of athletes.  I think Pikeville and Raceland will match up really good this week and I expect this game to be decided by 19 points or less either way.
I wasn’t per say talking about the athletes that Raceland has faced. I have no doubt that KCD and Sayre even , had good athletes. I’m saying in the past fast, twitchy athletes in space have seemed to give Pikevilles defense more fits than just a power straight ahead rushing attack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • Orange Blaze
Most people across KY don't know who Anthony is or how good he is.

They will after this weekend.

Pikeville 26-14
This season, Pikeville's offense averaged almost 33 ppg.
Raceland's offense averaged almost 37 ppg.
Defensively, Pikeville gave up a little less than 13 ppg. Raceland gave up a little more than 18 ppg.
1A Classic right here

Pikeville 34
Raceland 27