• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture and Program Building
(11-06-2023, 12:10 PM)ROTC Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 11:46 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-05-2023, 09:31 PM)ROTC Wrote: Boooooo!  F-

Read the original thread post.

(11-05-2023, 09:31 PM)ROTC Wrote: Boooooo!  F-

Read the original thread post.
I already know the benefits of “no rules” mentality.  Look at Class 4A.

I mean doing it honestly; within the parameters of “the rules”.

Do you really believe schools that compete for state every year are honest?
Duh, no- I know they are not.  Being competitive may not mean actually being in the finals.  You know only six teams end their season with a W.
It definitely begins with youth and fundamentals. coaches that  are quality people. feeder schools.  community support and boosters. administration that gives a good coach full control over the program with no outside interference. Never forget it's supposed to be a game that is fun or the kids will lose interest. I think Highviz summed it up pretty good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • HighViz
(11-06-2023, 12:32 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:14 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-05-2023, 10:48 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-05-2023, 10:38 PM)ROTC Wrote: I’m just curious about specific actions taken to build.  I know what SHOULD be happening in HS football.  HOW?

Okay- I’ll give you guys a REAL-hypothetical situation(pardon the oxymoron)!!

In 1967, Coalfield High won a third state title and had 20 or so boys who would knock your D straight!  Fast forward to 2023, same school is struggling to dress 20 guys, population has dwindled, tax base is dropping every year, and facilities have changed very little since that last nine win team in 1981.

OKAY- what must happen here to re-build football?
You answered your own question.  The population decline and lack of resources make it very difficult to rebuild simply because there really aren’t any people or money available to rebuild it. In the scenario you described I can’t see a rebuild being possible because of the poor economic conditions which in turn led to the talent drying up.
Coalfield and Raceland are probably similar?
Raceland is closer to areas with more job opportunities than Coalfield.  The majority of people in this area work in Ashland, Huntington, or in Ohio.  If Raceland wasn’t close to areas like that then they wouldn’t be successful and wouldn’t be able to pull kids from other districts.

Majority of people in Coalfield probably work in Oak Ridge and Knoxville. I don't see the disadvantage.
Raceland also recruits heavily so that helps too.
admin support number one
feeder system alignment
money for cool stuff
it has to be hard and people have to understand why
set the standard and chase it.
(11-06-2023, 01:01 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:32 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:14 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:04 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-05-2023, 10:48 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: You answered your own question.  The population decline and lack of resources make it very difficult to rebuild simply because there really aren’t any people or money available to rebuild it. In the scenario you described I can’t see a rebuild being possible because of the poor economic conditions which in turn led to the talent drying up.
Coalfield and Raceland are probably similar?
Raceland is closer to areas with more job opportunities than Coalfield.  The majority of people in this area work in Ashland, Huntington, or in Ohio.  If Raceland wasn’t close to areas like that then they wouldn’t be successful and wouldn’t be able to pull kids from other districts.

Majority of people in Coalfield probably work in Oak Ridge and Knoxville. I don't see the disadvantage.
Raceland also recruits heavily so that helps too.
surely not. lol
Obviously no simple/easy answer to this. A lot of things have to come together to become a successful program and build the culture of winning. Here's my take.

1- The administration from the top down has to support the program/coach. All have to be on the same page. POLITICS!!!!
2- Coach. This will/can attract players and player development (off season/in season/ weights/ style of play calling)
3- Boosters/funds. This will/can attract players. Money makes the world go round.
4- PLAYERS PLAYERS PLAYERS. I've never seen a coach take a single snap, run a play, or score a td.. Have to have the players. (See 2,3,4,& 5)
5- Local support from fans/town/businesses (everyone has to buy in)
6- Tad bit of LUCK- This means luck to get 1-5 to line up.

To get all of those to line up is d$mn near impossible. Some programs have 2-3/6 but few have 5-6/6.

That should be every program's baseline/goal on how to build a successful culture/program.

The above steps are simple observations of the greats in KY via STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS RINGS (Highlands/Trinity/St. X/Beechwood/Boyle/Danville/Mayfield/Belfry).

But what do I know.. LOL.
You know a lot SIR; for an average JOE!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • AverageJoe