Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1A Sleeper?
(10-29-2023, 11:59 PM)Buford T Justice Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 11:31 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I was kind of making a joke.

I expect Pikeville to win Class A.
Raceland has a decent shot.
Campbellsville is a longshot but it's not unfathomable.
Everyone else is unfathomable.
I wouldn’t hardly call campbellsville a long shot they are legit they will beat that ass if you sleep on them

Campbellsville will get  their hind ends smoked in the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Deuce8
(10-30-2023, 01:23 AM)Old School 18 Wrote: Paris & KCD

LOL! Big Grin
(10-30-2023, 05:48 AM)Old School 18 Wrote: How rude!

Life ain't fair. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Old School 18
1A sleeper was probably Brutus the Barber Beefcake with 1B being Rowdy Roddy Piper.

What I liked about Beefcake is when he put yo ass to sleep, he pulled out those scissors and gave you a free haircut.

Thumbnail(s)

(10-31-2023, 09:26 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: 1A sleeper was probably Brutus the Barber Beefcake with 1B being Rowdy Roddy Piper.

What I liked about Beefcake is when he put yo ass to sleep, he pulled out those scissors and gave you a free haircut.
1C Macho Man Randy Savage. It's not the flying elbow but his sleeper was something to behold.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Eminence's post:
  • Old School Hound
There could be a "sleeper" that makes a playoff run, but the only teams beating Raceland or Pikeville are Raceland or Pikeville. Lol. Its just a shame this game could very well happen before Kroger Field
(10-31-2023, 10:00 AM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 09:26 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: 1A sleeper was probably Brutus the Barber Beefcake with 1B being Rowdy Roddy Piper.

1C Macho Man Randy Savage. It's not the flying elbow but his sleeper was something to behold.
Did you know the Macho Man played professional baseball in the Reds minor league system?

[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Deuce8, The Red Eminence
(10-31-2023, 10:21 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Did you know the Macho Man played professional baseball in the Reds minor league system?
To quote the man himself: oooooooooooh yeah! I remember watching him and his brother Leaping Lanny on ICW. Used to fight tag teams by himself to train for the championship. Poffo was a dangerous dude.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Eminence's post:
  • Old School Hound
There is no sleeper in 1A. The 2 best teams are Raceland and Pikeville and it isn’t particularly close. Not saying they couldn’t stub their toe but they would have to beat themselves. Assuming the teams are fairly healthy, I think the Panthers win it again and leave no doubt.
Does anyone see KCD or Cville falling earlier than expected? I believe one of them going down is all it takes to keep Raceland and Pikeville from meeting at Kroger field
(10-31-2023, 10:37 AM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 10:21 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

To quote the man himself: oooooooooooh yeah! I remember watching him and his brother Leaping Lanny on ICW. Used to fight tag teams by himself to train for the championship. Poffo was a dangerous dude.

Loved Lanny! Incredible athlete. Some of his acrobatics in the ring were amazing.
Lynn Camp
Leapin’ Lanny will tear your head off and sh!t down your neck
(10-31-2023, 05:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Leapin’ Lanny will tear your head off and sh!t down your neck
He was one of my favorites back in the day because of his athleticism. Dude must have had an incredible vertical leap. Did back flips in the ring. Fun guy to watch. Plus, he was extremely intelligent. Genius-level, one might say.
Not expecting a champion outside Raceland or Pikeville this season.

But the question was asked

1A Sleepers
Campbellsville - Has been impressive in winning 4 Quad 1 or Quad 2 games (Somerset, Bethlehem, Lou. Holy Cross, Kentucky Country Day) to 1 L (Hart Co.) and was competitive against Hart Co. Once again not stating the Eagles beat Raceland or Pikeville but why they should be considered a "sleeper". Take Hart Co. vs. Ashland Blazer in comparison on Raceland schedule does Hart not compete against the Tomcats.

Paris - Some got caught scoreboard watching the Paris-Raceland game, this was a ball game deep into the 3rd before Raceland wore Paris down, and I think the homefield advantage got to the Hounds. Paris gets a few scores up on the scoreboard early who's to say what can happen. They have the athletes to do so. Not saying they do once again.

I'd say the gaps are like this...

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>
Kentucky Country Day/Sayre
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nations Elite's post:
  • Old School 18
(11-01-2023, 12:24 AM)Nations Elite Wrote: Not expecting a champion outside Raceland or Pikeville this season.

1A Sleepers
Campbellsville - Has been impressive in winning 4 Quad 1 or Quad 2 games (Somerset, Bethlehem, Lou. Holy Cross, Kentucky Country Day) to 1 L (Hart Co.) and was competitive against Hart Co. Once again not stating the Eagles beat Raceland or Pikeville but why they should be considered a "sleeper". Take Hart Co. vs. Ashland Blazer in comparison on Raceland schedule does Hart not compete against the Tomcats.

Paris - Some got caught scoreboard watching the Paris-Raceland game, this was a ball game deep into the 3rd before Raceland wore Paris down, and I think the homefield advantage got to the Hounds. Paris gets a few scores up on the scoreboard early who's to say what can happen. They have the athletes to do so. Not saying they do once again.

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>

KCD should be a few hairs above Paris, the only 1A teams on their schedule were their district foes which include Campbellsville, Holy Cross, and Bethlehem. Whoever comes out of that region will be the sleeper. 

Raceland vs Paris, was more Raceland self inflicted, then Paris being on that level.  If Raceland doesn't throw an End zone INT and executes in the red zone on their first drive, its at least 28-0 at halftime. 

"Scoreboard Watching" would be when it was only 14-7 in the 3rd quarter because Paris got the ball before coming out of half and scored, Raceland follows that up with a score of their own making it 21-7 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd(one possession each) Raceland then scores again to start the 4th quarter and make 28-6.  You won't convince me that a game that had over 300 yards of offensive discrepancy was close.

Paris and Sayre will be the most interesting matchup, though it won't matter as both will get blasted by Raceland in the 3rd Rd, regardless if Raceland is the visitor.
No sleepers in this class this year imo. It’s either Pikeville or Raceland and since Raceland has already beat Pikeville this year, you have to consider them the favorite. It will be a great game when they do meet, but I would go with the Panthers this next time.
Beating Pikeville by one point imo, without their best weapon on offense, doesn’t make Raceland a favorite. It definitely changes the complexity of that game for the Rams though. They had went a long time since being on the winning side of that game and had never won at Hambley. So seeing that they CAN win that game makes a big difference. The Ashland series has been close minus the Tomcats title run a few years back. It took Raceland beating Ashland 3 years in a row for that series to truly be competitive. So the one point win over Pikeville doesn’t make Raceland the favorite. But it does help the rams mentality should they meet again. Imo, Pikeville is still the favorite.
(11-01-2023, 01:25 PM)Thrillex Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 12:24 AM)Nations Elite Wrote: Not expecting a champion outside Raceland or Pikeville this season.

1A Sleepers

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>

KCD should be a few hairs above Paris, the only 1A teams on their schedule were their district foes which include Campbellsville, Holy Cross, and Bethlehem. Whoever comes out of that region will be the sleeper. 

Raceland vs Paris, was more Raceland self inflicted, then Paris being on that level.  If Raceland doesn't throw an End zone INT and executes in the red zone on their first drive, its at least 28-0 at halftime. 

"Scoreboard Watching" would be when it was only 14-7 in the 3rd quarter because Paris got the ball before coming out of half and scored, Raceland follows that up with a score of their own making it 21-7 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd(one possession each) Raceland then scores again to start the 4th quarter and make 28-6.  You won't convince me that a game that had over 300 yards of offensive discrepancy was close.

Paris and Sayre will be the most interesting matchup, though it won't matter as both will get blasted by Raceland in the 3rd Rd, regardless if Raceland is the visitor.

I watched this game on Youtube ... Let's not leave out that it was 4th and 14 when the Fannin kid caught the ball in the concession stand and was ruled in bounds by the Back judge and out of bound by the side judge.  Somehow the Back judge over ruled the call from the middle of the field.  Setting up 1st and goal inside the 2 Raceland up 14-7 deep in the third.  I also wouldn't ignore the fact that Raceland started the game with a trick play for 60 yards getting them down inside the 10  and was held without points. Paris messed up by not keeping the ball on the ground IMO I looked at the stats and the running back averaged 5.5 ypc the overall stats are construed because the quarterback ran for his life most of the game instead of getting rid of the ball.  If the Paris staff learns and gets Raceland at home, it wont be easy pickings.

Raceland is the better team, but to act like the game wasn't close for 3.5 quarters is laughable. Might not matter though I think you'll find out more about Paris in the first 2 weeks of the playoffs than you did the whole year.  I have no clue how Eminence lost to Frankfort, but they are not going to be a gravy first round.  Sayre is unknown but undefeated and probably matches up well athletically and scheme wise with Paris.  If I had to put my house on it I would say that Raceland and Sayre matchup in week 3.
(11-02-2023, 09:56 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

1A Sleepers

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>

I watched this game on Youtube ... Let's not leave out that it was 4th and 14 when the Fannin kid caught the ball in the concession stand and was ruled in bounds by the Back judge and out of bound by the side judge.  Somehow the Back judge over ruled the call from the middle of the field.  Setting up 1st and goal inside the 2 Raceland up 14-7 deep in the third.  I also wouldn't ignore the fact that Raceland started the game with a trick play for 60 yards getting them down inside the 10  and was held without points. Paris messed up by not keeping the ball on the ground IMO I looked at the stats and the running back averaged 5.5 ypc the overall stats are construed because the quarterback ran for his life most of the game instead of getting rid of the ball.  If the Paris staff learns and gets Raceland at home, it wont be easy pickings.

Raceland is the better team, but to act like the game wasn't close for 3.5 quarters is laughable. Might not matter though I think you'll find out more about Paris in the first 2 weeks of the playoffs than you did the whole year.  I have no clue how Eminence lost to Frankfort, but they are not going to be a gravy first round.  Sayre is unknown but undefeated and probably matches up well athletically and scheme wise with Paris.  If I had to put my house on it I would say that Raceland and Sayre matchup in week 3.
If that side judge is motioning incomplete pass with his arms above his head, that's the totally wrong signal for an incomplete pass, and is a stoppage of play call. The back judge never makes a signal, they just converse. No call was made until they conversed.  It won't matter if Steve Parker widens out right and Paris has Bill Arnsparger calling defense, they're not in the same stratosphere as Raceland or Pikeville. Let's also not leave out Ransom made the catch of the year to set up their other scoring drive.  Paris and Sayre will be the top game of any class, but both will get throttled by Raceland.
Courier-Journal picks Campbellsville over Raceland in the state championship game.
(11-02-2023, 11:51 AM)Thrillex Wrote:

1A Sleepers

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>

If that side judge is motioning incomplete pass with his arms above his head, that's the totally wrong signal for an incomplete pass, and is a stoppage of play call. The back judge never makes a signal, they just converse. No call was made until they conversed.  It won't matter if Steve Parker widens out right and Paris has Bill Arnsparger calling defense, they're not in the same stratosphere as Raceland or Pikeville. Let's also not leave out Ransom made the catch of the year to set up their other scoring drive.  Paris and Sayre will be the top game of any class, but both will get throttled by Raceland.

I gotcha ... so you believe that Paris played their best and Raceland it's worst for 3.5 quarters which is why the game was so close going into the 4th?
(11-02-2023, 12:33 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

1A Sleepers

Raceland/Pikeville
Campbellsville
>
Paris
>

I gotcha ... so you believe that Paris played their best and Raceland it's worst for 3.5 quarters which is why the game was so close going into the 4th
Correct, Paris' 3 biggest plays came on the QB just chucking it in the air while getting licks by Raceland all in the second half. 

4th Quarter
Raceland is up 21-7 going into the 4th,
They score 36 seconds into the 4th Q
Paris gets the ball 28-7 11:24 to go in the 4th
Jakari Ransom makes an insane miraculous catch for 26 yards with Paris QB getting hit and throwing off his backfoot(probably greatest catch I've seen in high school football)
Two plays later a pass interference on Raceland, giving Paris another 15 yds.

It was 28-7 with 8:35 left in the 4th Q,
Paris scores 28-13 with 8:32 left in the 4th Q,
Raceland scores 40 seconds after makes it 35-13 with 7:55 left in the 4th Q, and that constitutes a close game?
Raceland could of scored at will, 

Raceland had a missed FG on the 6yd line(23yd FG?), a fumble on the Paris 35 yard line, an Endone interception from the 12 yard line, all in the 1st half...Raceland probably should of had 2 more scores from tha,  at the least 21-0 or 17-0 at halftime.

This game can be at Paris or wherever, but the next time these two play, don't be surprised if it's closer to a running clock.
(11-03-2023, 12:03 PM)Thrillex Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 09:56 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I watched this game on Youtube ... Let's not leave out that it was 4th and 14 when the Fannin kid caught the ball in the concession stand and was ruled in bounds by the Back judge and out of bound by the side judge.  Somehow the Back judge over ruled the call from the middle of the field.  Setting up 1st and goal inside the 2 Raceland up 14-7 deep in the third.  I also wouldn't ignore the fact that Raceland started the game with a trick play for 60 yards getting them down inside the 10  and was held without points. Paris messed up by not keeping the ball on the ground IMO I looked at the stats and the running back averaged 5.5 ypc the overall stats are construed because the quarterback ran for his life most of the game instead of getting rid of the ball.  If the Paris staff learns and gets Raceland at home, it wont be easy pickings.

I gotcha ... so you believe that Paris played their best and Raceland it's worst for 3.5 quarters which is why the game was so close going into the 4th
Correct, Paris' 3 biggest plays came on the QB just chucking it in the air while getting licks by Raceland all in the second half. 

4th Quarter
Jakari Ransom makes an insane miraculous catch for 26 yards with Paris QB getting hit and throwing off his backfoot(probably greatest catch I've seen in high school football)

Raceland scores 40 seconds after makes it 35-13 with 7:55 left in the 4th Q, and that constitutes a close game?

Raceland had a missed FG on the 6yd line(23yd FG?), a fumble on the Paris 35 yard line, an Endone interception from the 12 yard line, all in the 1st half...Raceland probably should of had 2 more scores from tha,  at the least 21-0 or 17-0 at halftime.

This game can be at Paris or wherever, but the next time these two play, don't be surprised if it's closer to a running clock.

There you go I fixed it for you.  With 9 minutes to go it was a 2 score game.  A game in which Raceland ran 3 trick plays, was unable to score multiple times when given the ball inside the redzone, and had 2 touchdowns in the first 3 quarters as a direct result of a judgement call that went in their favor at home.  All that it mind it only sounds logical that if they have to travel to Paris they will win by 70.
Don't sleep on NCC...they are healthy and have a new QB that is more athletic than the Smith kid.
(11-03-2023, 02:23 PM)KIDZFIRST Wrote: Don't sleep on NCC...they are healthy and have a new QB that is more athletic than the Smith kid.
I’ve seen crazier things happen but I can’t see them turning around the 40-14 game against Raceland a few weeks ago.  They could possibly  compete with teams like Sayre or Paris but not teams like Pikeville and Raceland.
(11-03-2023, 12:21 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 09:56 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I watched this game on Youtube ... Let's not leave out that it was 4th and 14 when the Fannin kid caught the ball in the concession stand and was ruled in bounds by the Back judge and out of bound by the side judge.  Somehow the Back judge over ruled the call from the middle of the field.  Setting up 1st and goal inside the 2 Raceland up 14-7 deep in the third.  I also wouldn't ignore the fact that Raceland started the game with a trick play for 60 yards getting them down inside the 10  and was held without points. Paris messed up by not keeping the ball on the ground IMO I looked at the stats and the running back averaged 5.5 ypc the overall stats are construed because the quarterback ran for his life most of the game instead of getting rid of the ball.  If the Paris staff learns and gets Raceland at home, it wont be easy pickings.

4th Quarter

There you go I fixed it for you.  With 9 minutes to go it was a 2 score game.  A game in which Raceland ran 3 trick plays, was unable to score multiple times when given the ball inside the redzone, and had 2 touchdowns in the first 3 quarters as a direct result of a judgement call that went in their favor at home.  All that it mind it only sounds logical that if they have to travel to Paris they will win by 70.

.....And with 8 minutes to go it was 21 point game... 
....And with  6 minutes to go it was a 28 point game.

Raceland scored with Paris in the 2nd half, 

Paris put up 67 yards rushing...not counting sacks, to Raceland's 200+, please tell me how that is a ref's judgement call? Paris show offensive inepititude,
The punter being able to run for 22 yards(10 behind the LOS) "trick play" or the trick play where Paris tried to pass it off three times and fumbled it?

Look at it this way...let's pretend the 2nd half is the 1st half....
Paris receives the ball
Paris scores-7-0
Paris recovers the onside 7-0 $ and out... Has Raceland had the ball yet? No
"It's a close game!?!?!?!" 
Raceland finally gets the ball and scores on their first possession of the second half at 6:30 minutes left
7-7
Paris gets the ball has to punt with 4 minutes left
Raceland gets the ball has it the rest of the quarter
3rd Q-Paris Possessions-3 Raceland Possessions-2

4th Q
Raceland Scores 30 seconds in the fourth Q 14-7
Paris gets the ball scores with makes it 14-13 with 8:32 left
Raceland scores  less than a minute later 22-13  7:50 left 
Paris gets the ball, with the only positive yardage coming from a PF on Raceland end up fumbling
Raceland scores on their first play 29-13
Paris gets the ball back and goes for and out at 4:30 with a 4th & 20+
Raceland gets the ball back and just rans out the clock for 4 minutes
4th Q Paris Possesions-3 Raceland Possesions-3

Paris possesses the ball for 1 more time than Raceland, and comes away with 2 less scores, with Raceland just getting to Red zone again as time expired

It was only considered close because Paris had the ball first and scored. That's it, and that's all.
(11-03-2023, 05:49 PM)Thrillex Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 12:21 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:
(11-02-2023, 11:51 AM)Thrillex Wrote: If that side judge is motioning incomplete pass with his arms above his head, that's the totally wrong signal for an incomplete pass, and is a stoppage of play call. The back judge never makes a signal, they just converse. No call was made until they conversed.  It won't matter if Steve Parker widens out right and Paris has Bill Arnsparger calling defense, they're not in the same stratosphere as Raceland or Pikeville. Let's also not leave out Ransom made the catch of the year to set up their other scoring drive.  Paris and Sayre will be the top game of any class, but both will get throttled by Raceland.

4th Quarter

.....And with 8 minutes to go it was 21 point game... 
....And with  6 minutes to go it was a 28 point game.

Raceland scored with Paris in the 2nd half, 

Paris put up 67 yards rushing...not counting sacks, to Raceland's 200+, please tell me how that is a ref's judgement call? Paris show offensive inepititude,
The punter being able to run for 22 yards(10 behind the LOS) "trick play" or the trick play where Paris tried to pass it off three times and fumbled it?

Look at it this way...let's pretend the 2nd half is the 1st half....
Paris receives the ball
Paris scores-7-0
Paris recovers the onside 7-0 $ and out... Has Raceland had the ball yet? No
"It's a close game!?!?!?!" 
Raceland finally gets the ball and scores on their first possession of the second half at 6:30 minutes left
7-7
Paris gets the ball has to punt with 4 minutes left
Raceland gets the ball has it the rest of the quarter
3rd Q-Paris Possessions-3 Raceland Possessions-2

4th Q
Raceland Scores 30 seconds in the fourth Q 14-7
Paris gets the ball scores with makes it 14-13 with 8:32 left
Raceland scores  less than a minute later 22-13  7:50 left 
Paris gets the ball, with the only positive yardage coming from a PF on Raceland end up fumbling
Raceland scores on their first play 29-13
Paris gets the ball back and goes for and out at 4:30 with a 4th & 20+
Raceland gets the ball back and just rans out the clock for 4 minutes
4th Q Paris Possesions-3 Raceland Possesions-3

Paris possesses the ball for 1 more time than Raceland, and comes away with 2 less scores, with Raceland just getting to Red zone again as time expired

It was only considered close because Paris had the ball first and scored. That's it, and that's all.
Paris’ big issue in that game was their lack of discipline.  They had burned through all of their timeouts because they couldn’t get their offensive personnel lined up.  Offensively they looked like they were just playing backyard football without a game plan and just relied on their athleticism.  

Defensively they played well but got worn down late in the game.  If they play again Raceland will have to earn it but I still think Raceland would win by at least 3 scores especially if Paris doesn’t make adjustments to fix the big mistakes they made in the first game.
(10-30-2023, 03:33 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Middlesboro hasn’t beaten a team with a pulse. They will get a running clock put on them in Round 3.
In 1998 Middlesboro started a little slow kinda like this yr.  Lost to Bell Co in week 3 then went into district which happens to be the same as now.  The jv played the 2nd half of about every game after week 3.  Back then people said...Oh they ain't played anybody with a pulse, not as good as ya think etc etc.  Went to Pikeville and hung 78 on em at Pikeville and destroyed Beechwood and Mayfield.  Not saying this team is that team or as good as that team but when u beat the teams you should by 50 that says alot too.  I'm not saying this team will win State I do think Pikeville, Raceland and some others are likely better but they ain't getting a running clock put on em friend..I've seen them play from game 1 til now and I'm sure you haven't
Well I can assure you this , and maybe we can talk further in a week from now, but the Middlesboro team that lost by 22 to Shelby Valley better not show up if you expect them to not get clocked by Pikeville. Hopefully we get to find out not by just internet talk.