Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Betsy Layne 33 Prestonsburg 14
I hope he can turn it around but I just don’t see it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ballbuster's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
But those two were big games, and you did not specify road games. I agree with BlackCat Alum, the Blackcats are gonna be fine, who knows you don't lose those three starters this game could be closer maybe a win. That game was hard fought and just panned out for the better team that night. Brewer is a good coach, fellas what he did at Powell County was a miracle he got a regional championship game at Powell against Corbin. Not to mention he has had to deal with a tough hand at Pburg since he got there because of the exodus created by Derossett. The Groundwork has been laid the past few years and is about to start showing.

Good luck to both teams in the future!
I should’ve specified road games but the examples I gave were road games. In my opinion it’s easy to come out hot at home for big games and a little harder to come off the bus hot.

As for the future, I hope you’re right. Like I’ve said, I’ll gladly eat crow. PBurg never lost these games before. My fear is it’s going to be more of the norm moving forward and not an outlier.

This game will be one to watch the next 6-7 years or so because both middle schools have solid talent to go along with the talent already in high school.

Best of luck to both teams the rest of the year!
(09-25-2023, 11:53 AM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: But those two were big games, and you did not specify road games. I agree with BlackCat Alum, the Blackcats are gonna be fine, who knows you don't lose those three starters this game could be closer maybe a win. That game was hard fought and just panned out for the better team that night. Brewer is a good coach, fellas what he did at Powell County was a miracle he got a regional championship game at Powell against Corbin. Not to mention he has had to deal with a tough hand at Pburg since he got there because of the exodus created by Derossett. The Groundwork has been laid the past few years and is about to start showing.

Good luck to both teams in the future!

No, the Blackcats were not winning on this night.  They were clear out matched with or without those starters.  The Bobcats pounded Prestonsburg physically and every other way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Fanatic42
(09-25-2023, 12:28 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 12:11 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 11:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think it’s pretty close in all those attributes. BL has more experience in the fact that these boys have been playing together for their entire football career. They’re a really talented group. BL also treated this game like their Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this game all season. You think Brewer and this Pburg team have been thinking about Betsy Layne the way they think about them? No.

It’s all good for the rivalry and good for Floyd County football.

Well since Betsy Layne and Prestonsburg are long time Rivals and in County Rivals at that, Yes I 100% believe they've thought about the Bobcats all Season.

I can say with confidence that Prestonsburg coaches and players haven’t been obsessing over that game the way BL was. Bigger fish to fry. Hopefully these two meet again when it really matters.
I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Sounds like BL’s coaches prepared better. As a coach you have to be obsessive. Right now Pburg needs an achievable goal and starting off at trying to be the best team in the county seems like a good goal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(09-24-2023, 11:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 11:30 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 11:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Prestonsburg is fine and will be fine.

Idk why some of you are surprised at BL winning this game? They beaten Adams a lot for a county championship in recent years and they’re keeping their kids at BL and those kids aren’t transferring to Pikeville & Pburg. Also, the school seems to actually care about something other than basketball. I’m happy for them.

As for Pburg and Brewer, everything will be fine. This is a young and very inexperienced team. I mean 3 starters went down Friday night that played crucial roles for this team. The younger guys showed their inexperience at times. It is to be expected.

The expectations at Prestonsburg will always be high. Everyone including these coaches know this, but the ones that make the decisions and have power to influence decision making at Pburg know the hand that was dealt and know that this program is finally overcoming and moving forward.

Prestonsburg football has a bright future, but so does Betsy Layne. That’s good for Floyd County and this rivalry.

I hope we can meet again in the playoffs.

Best of luck to BL on the rest of the season.

Go Blackcats!

I ain't surprised Betsy Layne won.  They are bigger, faster, stronger and have the better athletes.
I think it’s pretty close in all those attributes. BL has more experience in the fact that these boys have been playing together for their entire football career. They’re a really talented group. BL also treated this game like their Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this game all season. You think Brewer and this Pburg team have been thinking about Betsy Layne the way they think about them? No.

It’s all good for the rivalry and good for Floyd County football.
Back when I played, the Prestonsburg game was our Superbowl every season.  Unfortunately, we were like the Buffalo Bills.  We lost all 4 times.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Glory_Days
I don't know what needs to change, but something needs to be done. Never in my lifetime would I ever dream of Betsy Layne beating us in football. Never!!!
(09-27-2023, 01:13 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I don't know what needs to change, but something needs to be done. Never in my lifetime would I ever dream of Betsy Layne beating us in football. Never!!!

I knew that if Betsy Layne could keep most of their middle school players at the high school level, it was going to happen.  Betsy Layne  has had a good middle program for a while, and it keeps getting better.  I agree though, something needs to change at the Burg.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life, BlackcatPride32
(09-27-2023, 02:36 PM)Westside Wrote:
(09-27-2023, 01:13 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I don't know what needs to change, but something needs to be done. Never in my lifetime would I ever dream of Betsy Layne beating us in football. Never!!!

I knew that if Betsy Layne could keep most of their middle school players at the high school level, it was going to happen.  Betsy Layne  has had a good middle program for a while, and it keeps getting better.  I agree though, something needs to change at the Burg.

Betsy Layne's middle school team is very good this year too with their 7th grade class being very strong.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(09-27-2023, 02:36 PM)Westside Wrote:

No doubt Betsy Layne is headed in the right direction under Jarrell. If he can keep all of these kids together, they will field a solid team for the fore seeable future. 2A football in Eastern Kentucky isn't very strong, and Betsy Layne could very well compete for a regional title on a regular basis. It's a good time to be a Bobcat. Prestonsburg is going in the opposite direction in my honest opinion. There isn't a lot of excitement around the program, and there have been a lot of rumors about kids in the middle school and on the 5/6 grade B team who are possibly heading north and south on Hwy 23. I hope things get better, but I'm not very optimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • Westside
Prestonsburg loses to be best team in Betsy Layne history and folks are calling for a change? And there’s no excitement around the program?

I get it, the Betsy Layne folks would love nothing more than the rub this win in Pburg folks faces and the loyalists to the previous staff would love nothing more than to see the program crash and burn. A lot of adults from these two groups go hand in hand and are living their best life this week based on a football game. Sad.
(09-27-2023, 06:35 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Prestonsburg loses to be best team in Betsy Layne history and folks are calling for a change? And there’s no excitement around the program?

I get it, the Betsy Layne folks would love nothing more than the rub this win in Pburg folks faces and the loyalists to the previous staff would love nothing more than to see the program crash and burn. A lot of adults from these two groups go hand in hand and are living their best life this week based on a football game. Sad.

BlackcatAlum, I am not sure who you are directing your post at.  I have always thought you were on of the classiest members on this site.  If you think I'm trying to rub anything in anyone's face you are sadly mistaken. I am not.  Betsy Layne would have to win quite a few more and get close to evening the series.  That would take a long time.  But, yes, I am extremely happy Betsy Layne won the game.  It made my night.
I have watched Betsy Layne play several times this year. They are for real. It will come down to the Betsy Layne/ Shelby Valley game for the district championship. Regardless Betsy Layne will host a 1st round playoff game and if they win valley they might play 3 playoff games at home. Betsy Layne has great skill people and they are quick. They are big on both lines and the QB Parsons is playing at an elite level. Coach Jarrell has done an outstanding coaching job with this group of kids. Congratulations Bobcats keep your head on straight and play 1 game at a time. They are for real and exciting to watch play.

GO BOBCATS!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warriorhawk17's post:
  • Westside
(09-27-2023, 06:35 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Prestonsburg loses to be best team in Betsy Layne history and folks are calling for a change? And there’s no excitement around the program?

Idk if this is towards me but I’m far from a loyalist to the previous staff. I’m excited about the talent in PBurg, I just cannot get excited about the current staff. I wish them the best and will always root for PBurg.

I’ll gladly get on here and post about how well they did if they can beat Martin Co.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatPride32's post:
  • Westside
I ain’t aiming at anyone specifically and I apologize if it came off that way.

I’m happy for Betsy Layne and their fans. For far too long have we seen talent leave that school for others or not play football at all. I know Jarrell has coached this group of boys since he entered coaching and they’ve all developed and grown together and you see that when you watch this team.

Now I’m 100% loyal to Prestonsburg, but I like to think I’m also realistic. It’s easy to sit and look at a coaches overall record and draw conclusions. I think Brandon Brewer is a much better football coach than he gets credit for. I mean, look at what he done at Powell County. They beat a really good Leslie Co team opening week. But since the East Ridge game Prestonsburg can’t stay healthy, not to mention losing Nic Kidd second offensive play of the season. It’s hard to be consistent and good when you can’t keep your best players on the field. Leslie, Lewis, and Pike Central are really the only games where Pburg was at or near full strength. They’ve lost 2 guys for the season, have one out with a concussion this week, and three with injuries who are questionable for the Martin Co game. This team needs the bye week next week to get healthy and ready to make a run to end the season and hopefully secure a home playoff game. That’s continued steps in the right direction for the program

The expectations at Prestonsburg have to be realistic. I know a lot grew up in the 90s and early 2000s (like I did) and remember some great Pburg teams and want the same for their kids. I want these things for mine as well, but the only way we get that back or close to it is by keeping the kids at Prestonsburg and trusting the coaches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Westside
(09-27-2023, 11:45 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I ain’t aiming at anyone specifically and I apologize if it came off that way.

I’m happy for Betsy Layne and their fans. For far too long have we seen talent leave that school for others or not play football at all. I know Jarrell has coached this group of boys since he entered coaching and they’ve all developed and grown together and you see that when you watch this team.

Now I’m 100% loyal to Prestonsburg, but I like to think I’m also realistic. It’s easy to sit and look at a coaches overall record and draw conclusions. I think Brandon Brewer is a much better football coach than he gets credit for. I mean, look at what he done at Powell County. They beat a really good Leslie Co team opening week. But since the East Ridge game Prestonsburg can’t stay healthy, not to mention losing Nic Kidd second offensive play of the season. It’s hard to be consistent and good when you can’t keep your best players on the field. Leslie, Lewis, and Pike Central are really the only games where Pburg was at or near full strength. They’ve lost 2 guys for the season, have one out with a concussion this week, and three with injuries who are questionable for the Martin Co game. This team needs the bye week next week to get healthy and ready to make a run to end the season and hopefully secure a home playoff game. That’s continued steps in the right direction for the program

The expectations at Prestonsburg have to be realistic. I know a lot grew up in the 90s and early 2000s (like I did) and remember some great Pburg teams and want the same for their kids. I want these things for mine as well, but the only way we get that back or close to it is by keeping the kids at Prestonsburg and trusting the coaches.

I have asked this question before, and I'm not sure I have ever seen a response.  If I missed it,  I apologize.  Something that the Blackcat teams of the 90's didn't have to compete with that today's teams do is the school's soccer program.  What effect has soccer had on the football program?
(09-28-2023, 12:45 AM)Westside Wrote:
(09-27-2023, 11:45 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I ain’t aiming at anyone specifically and I apologize if it came off that way.

I have asked this question before, and I'm not sure I have ever seen a response.  If I missed it,  I apologize.  Something that the Blackcat teams of the 90's didn't have to compete with that today's teams do is the school's soccer program.  What effect has soccer had on the football program?
I think it hurts football some. Look at all your soccer schools, especially ones that are successful. They’re all either larger schools or private. 

A problem I’ve noticed mostly is Pburg isn’t getting all the better athletes to play football. There’s probably a dozen kids I could name right now that would help this team, but they play other sports. Your good football programs have their best athletes playing football. Fortunately one of those kids just come out and should be eligible soon and will help this offense.
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith, Westside
I like John as a person and coach, but I thought it was time for him to move on from the program six years ago. It just wasn't a good fit anymore. I liked Brewer as a hire, and as I said earlier, I told others to give him time to build a program. I don't want Brewer to fail, because if he fails the program fails. I'm just being realistic when I look at the overall picture of the program at this time. I believe this is as good as it's going to get under Brewer, and that is mediocracy. If people around town are satisfied with playing a watered down schedule, getting six or seven wins a year against weak competition, and not ever being a threat to get past the first round, then Brewer is the man for the job. I really hope I eat crow and Brewer turns it around, because I'm not rooting against him, because I want this program to eventually be what it once was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(09-28-2023, 09:32 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 12:45 AM)Westside Wrote:

I think it hurts football some. Look at all your soccer schools, especially ones that are successful. They’re all either larger schools or private. 

A problem I’ve noticed mostly is Pburg isn’t getting all the better athletes to play football. There’s probably a dozen kids I could name right now that would help this team, but they play other sports. Your good football programs have their best athletes playing football. Fortunately one of those kids just come out and should be eligible soon and will help this offense.
I played basketball at Prestonsburg in the ear;y 90's, did not play football. I really wish I had because to be honest Bill Letton was a good guy and treated me better than the basketball coach did, by far. He helped me after practice with weight training all on his own time...He got a lot from his players, they loved him. Then went to war for him.. All the best athletes played football then, no one thought of transferring to Johnson or Pike co. everyone wanted to be a part of it... I think the program is back on the right track but it will not be a short trip or an easy one back to where they were.. Some big hurdles to overcome and it might take a while