Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne 33 Prestonsburg 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Congrats Bobcats.  This is the first time in school history the Bobcats have started a season 6-0.  The Betsy Layne offensive and defensive lines just dominated the Blackcats and Betsy Layne was just too athletic.
If I counted correctly Betsy Layne had 3 touchdown wiped off the scoreboard with penalties.

Prayers for all the injured Blackcats.
Congratulations Betsy Layne!!!
Betsy Layne was bigger at every position and more athletic at every position. Bobcats played very physical football tonight! First time since 1986 they’ve got that Pburg monkey off their back so tonight is a very big night for this program. Congratulations to everyone involved!

Hard to celebrate this one too hard though cause a player for Pburg had to be taken out in ambulance. So prayers out to that young man. Give us an update if you all don’t care. Never like to see that.
(09-23-2023, 12:09 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Final
They started 6-0 just two years ago.

(09-23-2023, 12:16 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats Bobcats.  This is the first time in school history the Bobcats have started a season 6-0.  The Betsy Layne offensive and defensive lines just dominated the Blackcats and Betsy Layne was just too athletic.
Respnding to this post, not the other.  6-0 two years ago
Betsy Layne was just better tonight. They looked great from start to finish and when it seemed like Pburg had a stop on 3rd or 4th down the Bobcats found a way to get the first down. Much different looking team than the one I seen play Bath and Knott. They’re really clicking right now.

I thought Carter Parsons played great. He’s really good at baiting defenders and finding open receivers on the run. His line blocked well for him and his receivers made plays. Defensively the Bobcats made it a point to take away Dalton Elliott and they did so very successfully. Kudos to Isaiah Allen. Pburg tried getting Elliott the ball in different ways but he was always bottled up and never could get going. Just a good game plan from BL.

Blackcats just had a bad night. Mostly because of Betsy Layne playing so well, but the injury bug took some key starters out of the game. Lost leading rusher Jacob Rose, starting center and nose tackle Logan Hall, and DL Nick Adams left in an ambulance with what was feared to be a neck injury, but turns out it’s just a concussion (PTL). Some questionable PI calls during crucial parts of the game (yet again with this crew). Just a tough night all around.

Prestonsburg has a lot to learn from a game like this. Most of the problems we’ve seen from the first 5 games showed up again tonight. I think a lot
Is just from inexperience. We forget that there’s a lot of freshman and guys out there that haven’t played many snaps of varsity football before this season. No excuses though. Just have to get better because district play begins next week at Martin County. A district championship is very much on the table. Team just needs to regroup and prepare for a hard nosed football game next Friday in Inez.

Congratulations to the Bobcats. This team is for real and probably one of the best BL teams ever. Definitely the best I’ve seen.

Go Blackcats!
Great game from the bobcats. They looked great last night. They have so many weapons on offense. Parsons is a great qb and Allen is a great WR. Good game plan from Jarrell and it was executed perfectly.

Pburg looked like they came out flat out of the gate and never really recovered. Playing flat and unmotivated seems to be the perfect recipe for injuries, which is what happened. Great personal efforts from some, but mostly a lackluster performance from the fellas. It's a common issue with very young teams, so I expected a few games like this one this year. They'll get the ship righted, I have no doubts.

Congrats, bobcats!
Carter Parsons has matured immensely at the QB position. He never seemed rattled, due in large part to the boys up front giving him time and the hands of his receivers (very few dropped balls and some really good catches tonight from Mccutchen, Allen, Williams and Howell made a dandy catch in the end zone that was called back). But one 4th down on the goal line Parsons rolled out and found Allen in the back of the end zone (high pressure situation).

The Big guys up front controlled the line; defense didn’t give up a lot of first downs; BL just controlled the tempo and the game from the get go.

After the first drive was stopped for the Bobcats it looked like it was going to be a long game for them. but Allen gets the takeaway on what could’ve been a big play for Pburg (uncovered wr) and that seemed to flip the switch (all downhill from there).
Congrats Bobcats
Prayers for the young man who had to leave.
Is QB related to former head coach, Red?
Carter Parsons played an amazing game. He played with confidence and poise. I excited to see him play the next couple years.

Jarredd Jarrell has done an absolutely amazing job at Betsy Layne. When he was named head coach, I made a comment on this site that I thought he would be more comfortable coaching at Prestonsburg since that is where he played. Looking back on it, that was a ignorant perspective for me to take. I am very glad that he accepted the job as Bobcat coach. I hope he stays at the school for a long time.
(09-23-2023, 10:12 AM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]Is QB related to former head coach, Red?

Yes, Carter is Red's son.
Well, that’s kinda cool.
Time for a new coach at pburg!
(09-24-2023, 11:54 AM)Ballbuster Wrote: [ -> ]Time for a new coach at pburg!

I was wondering about that.  Is Brewer the answer Prestonsburg was looking for?  I wonder how the fan base will react to this loss.
(09-24-2023, 03:35 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

I was wondering about that.  Is Brewer the answer Prestonsburg was looking for?  I wonder how the fan base will react to this loss.

Brewer has won 18 games since he took over in 2018. It’s been time to move on from him but they haven’t from an outsider looking in.
The administration won’t get rid of him. They couldn’t care less about football.
(09-24-2023, 09:44 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: [ -> ]The administration won’t get rid of him. They couldn’t care less about football.

That's a disservice to students there and kids will start to leave
(09-24-2023, 09:51 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2023, 09:44 PM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: [ -> ]The administration won’t get rid of him. They couldn’t care less about football.

That's a disservice to students there and kids will start to leave

Very much so. I believe another exodus is coming.

Coach Brewer has yet to host a playoff game at Prestonsburg and that’s just unacceptable. If you lose to Floyd Central, then you’re last place…in the county. Idk how many coaches could survive that at PBurg, so we shall see.

Hats off to Betsy Layne though. They were the much better team, this was no fluke. They were more physical and had more athleticism than PBurg for probably the first time ever.

I must admit, it stings more seeing familiar faces on the Betsy Layne sideline. Best of luck to them the rest of the year.
Hope not, we need Prestonsburg to get back to being a good team. It's good for eastern Kentucky.
(09-24-2023, 03:43 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

Brewer has won 18 games since he took over in 2018. It’s been time to move on from him but they haven’t from an outsider looking in.
Since he’s been there has Pburg beat a team who won a playoff game in the same season? Have they won a playoff game in the current coach tenure?
(09-24-2023, 11:12 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2023, 03:43 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

Since he’s been there has Pburg beat a team who won a playoff game in the same season? Have they won a playoff game in the current coach tenure?

Last playoff game they won was with John Derossett in 2017
Prestonsburg is fine and will be fine.

Idk why some of you are surprised at BL winning this game? They beaten Adams a lot for a county championship in recent years and they’re keeping their kids at BL and those kids aren’t transferring to Pikeville & Pburg. Also, the school seems to actually care about something other than basketball. I’m happy for them.

As for Pburg and Brewer, everything will be fine. This is a young and very inexperienced team. I mean 3 starters went down Friday night that played crucial roles for this team. The younger guys showed their inexperience at times. It is to be expected.

The expectations at Prestonsburg will always be high. Everyone including these coaches know this, but the ones that make the decisions and have power to influence decision making at Pburg know the hand that was dealt and know that this program is finally overcoming and moving forward.

Prestonsburg football has a bright future, but so does Betsy Layne. That’s good for Floyd County and this rivalry.

I hope we can meet again in the playoffs.

Best of luck to BL on the rest of the season.

Go Blackcats!
(09-24-2023, 11:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Prestonsburg is fine and will be fine.

Idk why some of you are surprised at BL winning this game? They beaten Adams a lot for a county championship in recent years and they’re keeping their kids at BL and those kids aren’t transferring to Pikeville & Pburg. Also, the school seems to actually care about something other than basketball. I’m happy for them.

As for Pburg and Brewer, everything will be fine. This is a young and very inexperienced team. I mean 3 starters went down Friday night that played crucial roles for this team. The younger guys showed their inexperience at times. It is to be expected.

The expectations at Prestonsburg will always be high. Everyone including these coaches know this, but the ones that make the decisions and have power to influence decision making at Pburg know the hand that was dealt and know that this program is finally overcoming and moving forward.

Prestonsburg football has a bright future, but so does Betsy Layne. That’s good for Floyd County and this rivalry.

Go Blackcats!

I ain't surprised Betsy Layne won.  They are bigger, faster, stronger and have the better athletes.
(09-24-2023, 11:30 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2023, 11:23 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Prestonsburg is fine and will be fine.

Go Blackcats!

I ain't surprised Betsy Layne won.  They are bigger, faster, stronger and have the better athletes.
I think it’s pretty close in all those attributes. BL has more experience in the fact that these boys have been playing together for their entire football career. They’re a really talented group. BL also treated this game like their Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this game all season. You think Brewer and this Pburg team have been thinking about Betsy Layne the way they think about them? No.

It’s all good for the rivalry and good for Floyd County football.
(09-24-2023, 11:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]

Go Blackcats!

I think it’s pretty close in all those attributes. BL has more experience in the fact that these boys have been playing together for their entire football career. They’re a really talented group. BL also treated this game like their Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this game all season. You think Brewer and this Pburg team have been thinking about Betsy Layne the way they think about them? No.

Well since Betsy Layne and Prestonsburg are long time Rivals and in County Rivals at that, Yes I 100% believe they've thought about the Bobcats all Season. Also Betsy Layne is the BEST team on The Blackcats Schedule with Breathitt Co coming in second. Betsy Layne is the best 2A Football team in all of Eastern Kentucky this Year.
(09-25-2023, 12:11 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2023, 11:56 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]I think it’s pretty close in all those attributes. BL has more experience in the fact that these boys have been playing together for their entire football career. They’re a really talented group. BL also treated this game like their Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this game all season. You think Brewer and this Pburg team have been thinking about Betsy Layne the way they think about them? No.

Well since Betsy Layne and Prestonsburg are long time Rivals and in County Rivals at that, Yes I 100% believe they've thought about the Bobcats all Season.

I can say with confidence that Prestonsburg coaches and players haven’t been obsessing over that game the way BL was. Bigger fish to fry. Hopefully these two meet again when it really matters.

Go Blackcats!

I’d say that coach better think about it a little more next year. It might’ve been BL’s Super Bowl, but we came out flat like it was a preseason game.

Going back to the Martin County game last year, PBurg has came out flat in every big game. The talent was there to beat Martin Co and Middlesboro last year and certainly Paintsville this year. It’s not the kids fault. It starts at the top. This is too talented of a bunch to be stuck with an inadequate coach.

If he can win the district, I’ll gladly eat crow. I just want what’s best for our program. If Brewer is the best we can do, then we aren’t who we used to be.
(09-25-2023, 12:29 AM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: [ -> ]

Go Blackcats!

I’d say that coach better think about it a little more next year. It might’ve been BL’s Super Bowl, but we came out flat like it was a preseason game.

Going back to the Martin County game last year, PBurg has came out flat in every big game. The talent was there to beat Martin Co and Middlesboro last year and certainly Paintsville this year. It’s not the kids fault. It starts at the top. This is too talented of a bunch to be stuck with an inadequate coach.

If he can win the district, I’ll gladly eat crow. I just want what’s best for our program. If Brewer is the best we can do, then we aren’t who we used to be.

I don’t think Prestonsburg come out flat. They stop BL on 4th down via a Nick Adams sack on the opening drive off the game. Second play for Pburg the QB and RB feet get tangled and QB throws a pick 6. It’s unfortunate, but that immediately shifted all the momentum Pburg got from the sack. Fast forward to the end of the half, you get a stop there then it’s 13-8 at the half with Pburg set to receive. BL made the plays and done their job. I’m not making excuses. But when you’re inexperienced in a rivalry game and things don’t go your way, it gets tough. It was a good learning experience.

But, if what you’re saying is true, then why did they beat BL and Floyd Central last year since they come out flat for big games? 

I enjoy talking ball, but I ain’t getting on a message board and calling for a high school coach and teachers job. Especially someone I see put in the time like Brewer does at Prestonsburg. Dude was dealt a tough hand to start and he’s close to getting this thing back to competing for district titles again.

Prestonsburg football is going to be fine.
Those 2 games you mentioned were at home.
Pages: 1 2