Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Raceland 7 Pikeville 6
Passing game is rough right now. Healthy we win by 2 scores.
This looked like an old Raceland Paintsville game to me. I always left those games feeling both teams had so much more to give but was held back a little by the coaches. Pikeville just isn’t the beast they were the last two seasons. That’s plain to see. Raceland …..if we don’t get things changed in the secondary this win will mean nothing cause next time we see Pikeville they will light us up in the passing game.
I’m shocked! Way to go Rams! RRR
Divine payback.
Not shocked but surprised. I said it last year that 2023 would be the year for Raceland to win a title if they were going to win it. They have the best player in 1A and Pikeville graduated a super senior class. Good thing for Raceland is this win should guarantee they don’t face Pikeville again until Kroger and if they met in the semis that game should be at their place.
Down goes Frazier!!!

I never saw this one coming and was so wrong. Raceland put everyone on notice that 1A is not a one man show. Congrats to Raceland
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • Diogenes
Way to go Rams!
Congratulations Raceland Ram and RAMDAD50…….and Scotty_Bronson where ever you’re at these days
Scotty’s right here under a new name…

Game started off like I thought it would. We traded punches. Then neither team could get out of its own way for the next 3 1/2 quarters. I bet both offenses didn’t combine to run about 10 different plays. Very vanilla game for both offensively. It looked to me like both sidelines felt they would see each other again (probably true) and didn’t want to show much. I did like the new jumbo set from Raceland and Mike fed Wallace the ball a lot more.

We have GOT to figure out the secondary situation though. We are going to eventually come across someone that’s just goina say to hell with it and throw the ball 30 times. If they do, we may get torched for 400 yards and 60 points by LCA.

This series of events…

TD called back for illegal procedure
Goal Line Stand after a bad snap
3rd and long
Old school Salmons sweep pass for a huge gain
Fumble
Pikeville connects on a bomb
Fumble

That was the most up and down few minutes I’ve ever seen on a Friday night.

I know a handful of players went down tonight. Cramps, hands, ankles, knees, you name it it looked like it was out there. I hope everyone heals up. And as long as Paris doesn’t play spoiler to one of these two teams, the rematch should be interesting. Pikeville isn’t quite the same without 35 on either side of the ball. This was one of the quickest games from start to finish I have ever watched, that wasn’t a running clock.

Both teams schedules don’t get any easier but That’s why they are tops in 1A.
I found a big sack of cash on side of 23 did a ram lose it leaving town?
[-] The following 2 users Like Gold River's post:
  • Diogenes, Woodshed
WOW! I was DEAD wrong in this one. I was one of those that said Pikeville would beat Raceland handily and, although I don't think I said it on here, I was thinking the Panthers put a running clock on the Rams after their loss last week. A HUGE congratulations to the Raceland Rams from this ol boy, you proved alot of people wrong tonight, especially me.
HUGE win for the Rams.

As for the excuse of players being out, that’s football. The tougher team whose players showed up to play won.

As for the excuse of vanilla play calling, I refuse to believe either team would tank this game due to their coach being a chess master playing the long game. Home field advantage in the playoffs may have been on the line.

Raceland beat Pikeville on their home field. The Rams should be number 1 in 1A now. That’s a 33 point turnaround from last year’s teams. This just shows that Pikeville hasn’t even come close to replacing what they lost off of last year’s team, because Raceland doesn’t have any significant new players. If anything, Raceland isn’t as good as they were last season.

Congratulations to Raceland.
Has anybody seen my little buddy Jett?? I’m worried about him. The last time Raceland beat Pikeville he went to the mountains and lived in a cave until the next season. I’m worried about my buddy ….ohhhhh Jett where are you ???
[-] The following 2 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • 64SUR, RamsFan
Actually I AM worried about him. He didn't submit picks this week.
(09-09-2023, 09:45 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Actually I AM worried about him.  He didn't submit picks this week.
I seen that …it got me thinking but I put my previous statement out as a filler. I hope everything is ok. He wasn’t in this weeks Pikeville Raceland thread either
(09-08-2023, 10:42 PM)Fanatic42 Wrote: Congrats to The Rams. You played a lot cleaner than Pikeville did. Lots to clean up this week. I will say that I thought the last play was for sure a catch. But either way that's not a Gurantee that Pikeville ends up scoring. We'll meet again at Kroger Field. Although Paris is a pretty dang good team, I'm curious to see the score of your First match up before you meet the Greyhounds in the Playoffs again.

Frosty Davis and the Pikeville announcers said they thought the ball skipped of the turf before it was caught.
kind of shocked on the score but both teams are good.
(09-08-2023, 10:40 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: I don’t understand why they didn’t kick a field goal when it was 4th and goal at the 1.  That would have probably won the game.  That is just a coaching blunder than I wouldn’t have expected from Pikeville.

I would have made the same call as Coach Mac.  You have to have confidence in your offense.  I thought Pikeville would score on the play.  Plus there was time left on the clock.  A touchdown would have almost certainly guaranteed  overtime at worst for Pikeville, but who knows.
(09-09-2023, 09:45 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Actually I AM worried about him.  He didn't submit picks this week.

It isn't unusual for Jet to not submit picks.  I think he has mentioned in the past he works out of town a lot.  He may have been traveling this week.  I do wish he would comment so we would know for sure he was ok though.
(09-09-2023, 10:24 AM)Westside Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 10:40 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: I don’t understand why they didn’t kick a field goal when it was 4th and goal at the 1.  That would have probably won the game.  That is just a coaching blunder than I wouldn’t have expected from Pikeville.

I would have made the same call as Coach Mac.  You have to have confidence in your offense.  I thought Pikeville would score on the play.  Plus there was time left on the clock.  A touchdown would have almost certainly guaranteed  overtime at worst for Pikeville, but who knows.
I see the logic behind that and tbh I thought they we would punch it in too.  The real MVP of that drive was the Raceland defender who had the shoe string tackle to stop Caudill from having a long touchdown run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Westside
I think this loss can be better than a win for Pikeville.  This loss can keep their heads out of the clouds and make them hungry for payback.  They are the hunters now instead of the hunted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Wow ! I think a lot of us were wrong. Hats off to the Rams on a hard fought win! Hope there were no serious injuries for either team. Imo, Pikeville is a work in progress. It can be a great team this season and I think it will, but it's got some growing to do. We cant expect this team to pick up where it left off back in early Dec. and not miss a beat, as much as we want it to. The young men on the O and D line still have to learn and learning sometimes takes patience. Win or lose, im proud of this team and we will get there.
I'm not surprised by this result. Pikeville lost several key offensive players to graduation. I will be shocked if the Panthers do not win the 1A state title again. Pikeville has the top 1A program in the state and this team just needs a little more experience to be the team that most were expecting. Early season expectations were unrealistically high but this team has a much higher ceiling than Raceland does, IMO.
Highlands up next for Raceland
https://www.dailyindependent.com/sports/...hmIQGs5dPI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Is the Bevins kid at Pikeville hurt or something?

(09-09-2023, 04:04 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote: WOW! I was DEAD wrong in this one. I was one of those that said Pikeville would beat Raceland handily and, although I don't think I said it on here, I was thinking the Panthers put a running clock on the Rams after their loss last week. A HUGE congratulations to the Raceland Rams from this ol boy, you proved alot of people wrong tonight, especially me.
Told people 2 years ago when Birchfield class graduates they’d take a big step back and I was right. 2 teams Pike like our running clocks on last year they’ve lost to this season

Is there anyone is 1A that can compete with these 2 teams? I hear Paris name thrown out there. They were terrible last year did they get a bunch of new players in or something? Are they like Russellville was a couple seasons ago?
(09-09-2023, 12:14 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Is the Bevins kid at Pikeville hurt or something?

(09-09-2023, 04:04 AM)#55PirateFan Wrote: WOW! I was DEAD wrong in this one. I was one of those that said Pikeville would beat Raceland handily and, although I don't think I said it on here, I was thinking the Panthers put a running clock on the Rams after their loss last week. A HUGE congratulations to the Raceland Rams from this ol boy, you proved alot of people wrong tonight, especially me.
Told people 2 years ago when Birchfield class graduates they’d take a big step back and I was right. 2 teams Pike like our running clocks on last year they’ve lost to this season

Is there anyone is 1A that can compete with these 2 teams? I hear Paris name thrown out there. They were terrible last year did they get a bunch of new players in or something? Are they like Russellville was a couple seasons ago?
Paris is a district game for Raceland.  We will see if they are legit on the field in a few weeks.

Raceland also has NCC and Hazard coming up. I know Hazard isn’t what they normally are but much Raceland’s schedule looks like a preview of what we might see in the Class A playoffs.
Gotta be honest, I don’t think anyone in 1A is beating either of these two teams. Both teams left points off the scoreboard and had important players out or banged up playing the game. Both teams flow really well sideline to sideline and tackle well. Both teams run the ball downhill really well. Both can throw the ball with and have really good dual threat QB play. Both of these teams looked like contenders this year. I’ve seen very little tape on Paris but unless they got a big influx of talent, size, speed, and strength, they can’t hang with these two teams. I think Campbellsville and NCC have a better shot at surprising one of them than Paris.
Paris is flying under the radar, either one of these two can beat them but they'd better not overlook them as they eye each other for a rematch.