Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My state champions this year
Thats another thing, Coach Haddix plays his best athletes both ways if he thinks it will help the team be better. So you see the athletes making plays not only on offense, defense but special teams. A few takeaways from last years championship game that will factor in to a matchup this season is Corbin could pin you deep with Jacob Baker. Corbin had a weapon in that young man. He was a baller. But not being able to pin Boyle to a touchback every return or most returns will be a factor if there is another matchup. High Viz is spot on with the Speed of Boyle and there talent.

Corbin has talent as well. Now if the Twiins were on offense all of a sudden and West was on defense and some other kids playing possibly both ways, you could make the case for Corbin.

But you are asking does Corbin have a chance, you better believe they do. Corbin runs a offense that plays into the strengths of Kid Elam.

Corbin absolutely does not have the speed that Boyle has across the board.

Here is another thing, if Corbin does not get a game, there rpi is shot. So Corbin as of right now is looking to play on the road in the 3rd round. The opponent will either be Boyle County or Covington Catholic. If I was a betting man, I'll say Covington Catholic on the road. Boyle plays a tuff schedule but the teams they have scheduled in there non district usually push there RPI over the top because of there OWP, and there OOWP.

Also, Im talking about just knowledge of what I have seen so far. Boyle is for real. I have said that all along. I want to lay eyes on Corbin and see whats really going on with the defense and offense. Corbin may be closer than what I think, but I'll know when I see them play a couple of guanlet games. Those games will tell the tell. LC, FD, JC.
If a team has depth, platooning is the way to go. Great teams have great depth. You don't have to have your best athletes playing both ways if there is not a big drop-off in talent when you platoon. Fatigue is a factor, and tired players will make more mistakes than fresh ones. If Corbin lacks depth, then they should definitely be playing the Smith twins both ways and keep them as fresh as possible through substitutions. But maybe the Smiths don't want to play both ways and maybe UK doesn't want them doubling their risk of serious injury. I doubt that their eligibility came without some conditions.
(08-30-2023, 10:24 AM)Lucas Wrote: If a team has depth, platooning is the way to go. Great teams have great depth. You don't have to have your best athletes playing both ways if there is not a big drop-off in talent when you platoon. Fatigue is a factor, and tired players will make more mistakes than fresh ones. If Corbin lacks depth, then they should definitely be playing the Smith twins both ways and keep them as fresh as possible through substitutions. But maybe the Smiths don't want to play both ways and maybe UK doesn't want them doubling their risk of serious injury. I doubt that their eligibility came without some conditions.

If a team gets there players in shape in the offseason, then they can handle it. I watched Boyle players looked ready all game long and never came out, I looked at the platoon of LCA and they were gassed. Bending over and just not in shape as Boyle County.
DADDY BALL keeps alot of kids from playing both ways..
(08-30-2023, 10:28 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 10:24 AM)Lucas Wrote: If a team has depth, platooning is the way to go. Great teams have great depth. You don't have to have your best athletes playing both ways if there is not a big drop-off in talent when you platoon. Fatigue is a factor, and tired players will make more mistakes than fresh ones. If Corbin lacks depth, then they should definitely be playing the Smith twins both ways and keep them as fresh as possible through substitutions. But maybe the Smiths don't want to play both ways and maybe UK doesn't want them doubling their risk of serious injury. I doubt that their eligibility came without some conditions.

If a team gets there players in shape in the offseason, then they can handle it. I watched Boyle players looked ready all game long and never came out, I looked at the platoon of LCA and they were gassed. Bending over and just not in shape as Boyle County.
If platooning were a bad idea, then college and NFL teams would be platooning. Instead, they may occasionally plug their best athlete into the lineup for special situations, as Dallas did with Deion Sanders. Better conditioning is not a factor if you play a deeper team whose players are equally well conditioned but are deployed in two platoons. Platooning is also how a coaching staff develops depth.

There is no right answer when it comes to platooning. Sometimes, a team just does not have the numbers to effectively platoon and it is absolutely necessary to play players both ways. A good 6A program should rarely play players on both offense and defense. Most good 1A programs do not have the luxury of full platooning.
(08-30-2023, 10:40 AM)Lucas Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 10:28 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

If platooning were a bad idea, then college and NFL teams would be platooning. Instead, they may occasionally plug their best athlete into the lineup for special situations, as Dallas did with Deion Sanders. Better conditioning is not a factor if you play a deeper team whose players are equally well conditioned but are deployed in two platoons. Platooning is also how a coaching staff develops depth.

There is no right answer when it comes to platooning. Sometimes, a team just does not have the numbers to effectively platoon and it is absolutely necessary to play players both ways. A good 6A program should rarely play players on both offense and defense. Most good 1A programs do not have the luxury of full platooning.

Were in High School, not college or NFL.. Smile I'll agree with you on what you said.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Patriot1
(08-30-2023, 01:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 09:00 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 07:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 12:27 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I agree, Dougie. 100% .  I hope the sarcasm dripping from my post above was evident. Smile

It was evident. I'm an expert when it comes to sarcasm Smile

Agree .   I'm a white sarcasmist.   Smile

(08-28-2023, 12:52 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Covington Catholic isn’t close to Boyle… I have a big gap between 1st and 2cd in 4A.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

4. Johnson Central/Ashland/Paducah Tilghman/Franklin County.

What would you say is the reason for the big gap between 1 and 2.  You watch a lot more football than I do. So I value your opinion more than I do mine. You know player personnel a lot better.  Is it the overall team speed that worries you most? Is Corbin's secondary suspect again like it has been for what seems like decades? What makes Boyle so much better than Corbin(besides coaching, of course)?  I know the last time I saw Corbin and Boyle play, Corbin appeared to be as good , or better, as far as overall talent in that game.
The Championship game is a game can be somewhat misleading because of nerves. It will make a game closer just because its the last game. Now in saying that. I do believe Corbins last years team was just as talented as Boyle. 

This years main theme is TEAM SPEED. Boyle is fast. I don't know who Corbin has that can matchup with Quisenberry and Brown out in the open field.

Corbin is loaded for bear again this season especially with the field vision of Kid Elam. Im not concerned with the offense of Corbin. Bart Elam proved he can flat out call a good offense worthy to win a State Championship film don't lie. Then I have to give all the Line coaches and Dline coaches some credit because they do a very good job and second to none. They were good coaches to my son when he was there and they did there jobs, film don't lie. 

Now here is my constructive criticism or concern for Corbin. It will come down to defense just like last year, the year before that and you get the picture... Its a never ending story that will come back to bite you every single time. I pay attention to the adjustments and types of defenses that are ran. Final scores will tell you alot. If you get beat, did your offense do its job or did the defense lay a egg? You have to be able to make adjustments on the fly. This is the main difference I see in Boyle and Corbin. 

If all things are equal, talent, size, speed, then the deciding factor is the chess match between coaches. (This is with any teams playing), This is why I put Boyle in a couple spaces seperating them from the pack. Haddix is like Kriss Kross on the sidelines jumping making adjsutments. LOL..He don't waste no time..  *All things are not equal. Boyle has too much SPEED..

Now to give Corbin a fair shake, Like I said, I am not worried about the offense, Kid Elam will handle that part. What I won't to see is the adjustments made under pressure when the different packages are thrown at Corbin. I also want to see the 2 Smith Twins and how they will impact a big time atmosphere game. I know everyone has told me how good they are and I want to see them. 

[Video: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk]

Is your gap between Boyle and Corbin 3 or 4 TDs big or more like 1 TD big?

(08-29-2023, 09:36 PM)HighViz Wrote:
(08-29-2023, 07:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 12:27 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I agree, Dougie. 100% .  I hope the sarcasm dripping from my post above was evident. Smile

It was evident. I'm an expert when it comes to sarcasm Smile

Agree .   I'm a white sarcasmist.   Smile

(08-28-2023, 12:52 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Covington Catholic isn’t close to Boyle… I have a big gap between 1st and 2cd in 4A.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

4. Johnson Central/Ashland/Paducah Tilghman/Franklin County.

What would you say is the reason for the big gap between 1 and 2.  You watch a lot more football than I do. So I value your opinion more than I do mine. You know player personnel a lot better.  Is it the overall team speed that worries you most? Is Corbin's secondary suspect again like it has been for what seems like decades? What makes Boyle so much better than Corbin(besides coaching, of course)?  I know the last time I saw Corbin and Boyle play, Corbin appeared to be as good , or better, as far as overall talent in that game.

Boyle has a major advantage to team speed. 

Boyle has 4 offensive players that can take it to the house at any point in the game. 2 of those 4 can’t be covered by Corbin. Quissenberry and Brown. If you double team them both the QB and the RB will have a field Day.  Dawson and Bodner.  Quissenberry and Brown will still even make plays being double teamed. See Lex Christian. These 2 earned MVP and scholarships from Power 5 schools. Advantage Boyle

Defensively for Boyle. They tackle well. Obviously they will hit you in the mouth. They make adjustments. #0, #20, #2, #5, #10 are key players. These guys play both ways. 4 of these guys have power 5 offers.  Boyle still has a couple that still hasn’t got eligible that will be impact players.  Secondary and linebackers advantage Boyle

Corbin has 2 power 5 guys that absolutely are great! Better than any 2 on Boyles Line. Edge and DLine advantage Corbin. 

Special Teams. Advantage Boyle. You simply can’t kick it to 4 of the upbacks. And Corbin can’t put it in the end zone this year. 

Coaching. Cox or Justin. 
Advantage Boyle

I know you don’t value my opinion maybe like Bulls. But change my mind on the points above. Corbin has 4-5 players that would start for Justin of the 22 players, O and D.

Sounds like a pretty good assessment. I would like to see if Bull agrees with your last sentence.  Are 17 or 18 of Boyle's starters better than Corbin's? If that's true, then Corbin has little to no chance.  I believe Corbin has a chance.
Corbin definitely has a chance of beating Boyle in a rematch as long the rules allow teams to commit turnovers. A well executed game plan with a couple of fortunate bounces of the ball, and the Red Hounds could put their title drought in the rear view mirror.
(08-27-2023, 03:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: You all are underestimating Tom E. Greer. The guy is a defensive guru, a mad scientist on defense. Some say there is no substitute for speed. But dammit, I say Boyle's speed has met its match in the mind of Corbin's Minister of Defense. He wanted me to tell you Doubters of Thomas that it's not about him but it's about the "C". And then it's about his "D".
Never forget who Greer’s daddy is.

Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like TrojanMan69's post:
  • Bull got out!, HighViz, Ned Gremlin, Rebel55
(08-30-2023, 04:13 PM)TrojanMan69 Wrote:
(08-27-2023, 03:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: You all are underestimating Tom E. Greer. The guy is a defensive guru, a mad scientist on defense. Some say there is no substitute for speed. But dammit, I say Boyle's speed has met its match in the mind of Corbin's Minister of Defense. He wanted me to tell you Doubters of Thomas that it's not about him but it's about the "C". And then it's about his "D".

That image makes both of those men look very, very creepy when, from what I've heard,  only one of them is creepy.

(08-30-2023, 10:00 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Thats another thing, Coach Haddix plays his best athletes both ways if he thinks it will help the team be better. So you see the athletes making plays not only on offense, defense but special teams. A few takeaways from last years championship game that will factor in to a matchup this season is Corbin could pin you deep with Jacob Baker. Corbin had a weapon in that young man. He was a baller. But not being able to pin Boyle to a touchback every return or most returns will be a factor if there is another matchup. High Viz is spot on with the Speed of Boyle and there talent.

Corbin has talent as well. Now if the Twiins were on offense all of a sudden and West was on defense and some other kids playing possibly both ways, you could make the case for Corbin.

But you are asking does Corbin have a chance, you better believe they do. Corbin runs a offense that plays into the strengths of Kid Elam.

Here is another thing, if Corbin does not get a game, there rpi is shot. So Corbin as of right now is looking to play on the road in the 3rd round. The opponent will either be Boyle County or Covington Catholic. If I was a betting man, I'll say Covington Catholic on the road. Boyle plays a tuff schedule but the teams they have scheduled in there non district usually push there RPI over the top because of there OWP, and there OOWP.

Also, Im talking about just knowledge of what I have seen so far. Boyle is for real. I have said that all along. I want to lay eyes on Corbin and see whats really going on with the defense and offense. Corbin may be closer than what I think, but I'll know when I see them play a couple of guanlet games. Those games will tell the tell. LC, FD, JC.

Please tell me that Greer is playing Guy Bailey both ways. He is a fine athlete. Track, state champion wrestler.  Please, please tell me he's playing defense, as well as offense!
(08-30-2023, 04:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

That image makes both of those men look very, very creepy when, from what I've heard,  only one of them is creepy.

(08-30-2023, 10:00 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Thats another thing, Coach Haddix plays his best athletes both ways if he thinks it will help the team be better. So you see the athletes making plays not only on offense, defense but special teams. A few takeaways from last years championship game that will factor in to a matchup this season is Corbin could pin you deep with Jacob Baker. Corbin had a weapon in that young man. He was a baller. But not being able to pin Boyle to a touchback every return or most returns will be a factor if there is another matchup. High Viz is spot on with the Speed of Boyle and there talent.

Please tell me that Greer is playing Guy Bailey both ways. He is a fine athlete. Track, state champion wrestler.  Please, please tell me he's playing defense, as well as offense!

Old School, the sad thing is, most of the time, you have those athletes who have the "It" factor. If a coach just doesn't have the eyes to see the talent and I am shocked, there are alot of coaches that can't see whats in front of them. To put a kid who is capable of changing the game with a huge play when the pressure is on. I would be trying all my guys to go both ways and seeing who is my game changers.
(08-30-2023, 05:45 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 04:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Old School, the sad thing is, most of the time, you have those athletes who have the "It" factor. If a coach just doesn't have the eyes to see the talent and I am shocked, there are alot of coaches that can't see whats in front of them. To put a kid who is capable of changing the game with a huge play when the pressure is on. I would be trying all my guys to go both ways and seeing who is my game changers.

I might be wrong but I think the defining difference between the Corbin and Boyle programs is this.  At Boyle, the motto is "Whatever is best to help the team win." If that means the best athletes play on both sides of the ball, then that's the way it is. You play when and wherever in order to maximize the chances of the team success in winning a championship. At Corbin,  you play whenever and wherever the coach wants, daddy wants, or Cox wants. Agendas take priority over maximizing team success. GOB politics matters more than doing whatever is necessary to win titles.  Hence, 40 years and counting... Someone tell me I'm wrong.
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!, HighViz, Hound05
^^Yep!! And I’ll include the known fact, personnel will bend to greers philosophy, tactics, etc. instead of a coach looking at the skills and adjusting to them. You can’t tell me for 5 years now we’ve had the same kind of players at the same positions. Because our offense hasn’t changed or evolved one bit. Same plays, same everything. We’ve got size and speed, use it!! Imagine having smith twin on the edge and frank as DT on that side!! We’ve got height in WRs to go up and get it. And we have to have someone with some speed that can play in on of the DB spots. (You all know what I’m referring to! Not outing the kid, it’s not his or anyone’s fault, they do their best)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!
Corbin and CovCath are both definitely in the discussion for a state title. I still like Corbin more than CovCath but all three teams could win it. Elam is the real deal and the twins obviously raises the bar for Corbin. I just really trust Haddix to score on just about anyone. If Boyle's defense can get better as the season goes, they will be hard to beat.
[-] The following 3 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hatz, HighViz
Boyle only gave up 6 to Gibson Southern first game, and stepped up for stops a couple times in that game when they were knocking on the door again. In fairness to anyone playing LCA, I don’t know that how you do against them is going to be the true judge of your defense going against Boley with the offensive line they have this year. Boyle gave up 18 less than BG did against them, and made the stops they had to make in the 2nd half to win the game. I’ll be curious to see how many they put up on some other teams coming up over the next few weeks. LCA is really, really good this year
[-] The following 3 users Like CC117's post:
  • BEChargers, Bull got out!, Rebel55
Corbin can win a championship if they can come up with a defensive guru. If they can't find a coach that coach in a game better than Coach Cal they will have the same results as last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-27-2023, 11:20 PM)hawksby90 Wrote: LCA wins 2A in stride

i wouldn’t be so sure of that! They said that the last three years! But the title went back to Ft Mitchell!