Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: My state champions this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1A- Pikeville
2A- Lexington Christian
3A- Lou. Christian Academy
4A- Corbin
5A- Bowling Green
6A- Fredrick Douglass
Not seen some of those teams. But I’d be surprised to find a team better than LCA in 2A
I’m betting against you in 4A. I’ll take Boyle County. The rest I agree with until further notice. Speed is the difference.
(08-27-2023, 01:49 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]I’m betting against you in 4A. I’ll take Boyle County. The rest I agree with until further notice. Speed is the difference.

Boyle with too much speed for the Hounds?
(08-27-2023, 01:51 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 01:49 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]I’m betting against you in 4A. I’ll take Boyle County. The rest I agree with until further notice. Speed is the difference.

LCA is not the team they were last year. They are heads and tails a different animal. Boyles defense flat out laid the wood to Hensley. Boyles offense is tuff. I’ll give a honest answer later in the season. Frederick Douglass matchup will tell the story. Lexington Catholic game next week will tell us a lot about Corbin. They smacked Madison Central. Madison Central almost beat Johnson Central. I won’t bet against Haddix again.

Yea but it’s ok. We got something to neutralize it. A 4-4 with no blitzing!! Lol.
(08-27-2023, 02:13 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yea but it’s ok. We got something to neutralize it. A 4-4 with no blitzing!! Lol.

Smile Thats the stuff I see honestly, no blitzing, no playing players on both sides of the ball. No Changing defenses. What I do like is allowing Elam to throw and control the game with his arm. Hats off to Bart Elam because he has definitely put the play calling to another level. That is one thing I thought LCA should have done more of is letting the QB throw more short passes instead of bombs every throw.. Then Hensley is a good enough target to get the ball in the open field, he would be dangerous off a short pass. Boyles speed is better than last year. Boyle is a better overall team than last year. Their defense is better than the score indicates, and I'll prove that by saying this. LCA plays some worthy opponents over the next few weeks. Pay attention to how many points LCA scores on Pikeville, CAL, and Lexington Catholic. AS for too much speed for the Hounds, I said it the first 7x7 that there was a separation from 1st to 2cd in 4A. Because of what I saw, Speed. Boyle is fast. I don't know how to describe it any better. They are for real Mrs. Jackson..

You all are underestimating Tom E. Greer. The guy is a defensive guru, a mad scientist on defense. Some say there is no substitute for speed. But dammit, I say Boyle's speed has met its match in the mind of Corbin's Minister of Defense. He wanted me to tell you Doubters of Thomas that it's not about him but it's about the "C". And then it's about his "D".
(08-27-2023, 02:47 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 02:13 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]

Smile Thats the stuff I see honestly, no blitzing, no playing players on both sides of the ball. No Changing defenses. What I do like is allowing Elam to throw and control the game with his arm. Hats off to Bart Elam because he has definitely put the play calling to another level. That is one thing I thought LCA should have done more of is letting the QB throw more short passes instead of bombs every throw.. Then Hensley is a good enough target to get the ball in the open field, he would be dangerous off a short pass. Boyles speed is better than last year. Boyle is a better overall team than last year. Their defense is better than the score indicates, and I'll prove that by saying this. LCA plays some worthy opponents over the next few weeks. Pay attention to how many points LCA scores on Pikeville, CAL, and Lexington Catholic. AS for too much speed for the Hounds, I said it the first 7x7 that there was a separation from 1st to 2cd in 4A. Because of what I saw, Speed. Boyle is fast. I don't know how to describe it any better. They are for real Mrs. Jackson..

I agree. I said to, speed in the secondary will be our achilles heel. Last year boyle had the best player on the field on both O and D. But I still think we had more talent, as far as number wise. This year, NOPE. We’ve got some damn good players. Players that can win. But it takes a lot more than just talent as we have seen these past 4 years. We squandered it away playing…. Well you know what they did. Daddy, buddy, political, etc ball. but I said it a couple weeks ago, Elam is a better coach than what we see. The game plan/philosophy holds his abilities coaching wise back. We could have aired it out the last couple years to give our very talented backs some room. But it goes against the “bust them in the mouth, 46 power, 1980s football”. Watching the LCA vs BC game tonight just brought back memories from 5/6 years ago and how exciting, how unpredictable our offense was. It was just the vibe. It felt like our guys walked out and knew we are gonna smack you, air it on you, and have you guessing where you’re even at! And making them like it. Now it reminds me of UK basketball. You know where gonna sprint down the court, then slow it down, and wait until the last 10 seconds to run a play which is always the same few in different sets. One thing I notice about haddix, and other great ones. They adjust their system to their personnel, not the personnel to the system. Seems to be working out for them.
That is exactly what I don’t like about most teams. Is that last sentence. They try to make a player play a role they see in their head instead of looking at the athlete’s capabilities and adjusting the playbook to maximize the athlete’s potential. But I question sometimes some of the stuff I see on high school fields by some teams coaches. I ask myself, didn’t they watch film? Do they realize their players potential? Why not call plays that will play into the strength of your athletes. Then the other big thing is playing kids both ways. I see teams having talent that can make a difference on both sides of the ball. Haddix is a master at taking a player and putting that player on defense and offense. That coach wants to win championships. The other coaches I see want to win daddies and political nods for playing little Johnny where they wanted him. I don’t like watching a team that’s got issues but won’t fix the problem because of that kid’s parents or political connections. Then here is a domino affect. Team suffers. Players see the issues. Non fixes end up running players off the greener pastures. 

As for the picks by the poster. You can’t go wrong with your picks. Those teams have proven to be able to win a championship or multiple championships. One team is long overdue but talent wise should have had a couple championships already in my opinion. You put Haddix on the Corbin sideline, Corbin wins a championship or arguably 2 championships in the last 3 seasons. FACT.
LCA wins 2A in stride
(08-27-2023, 11:20 PM)hawksby90 Wrote: [ -> ]LCA wins 2A in stride
Maybe, but most folks thought they would last year, not many teams will match their talent but it takes more than just talent.  I believe mayfield, beechwood and Owensboro Catholic will have a day in the matter, you don’t want to play any of those 3 at their house.
Boyle wins 4A. LCA wins 2A
(08-27-2023, 03:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]You all are underestimating Tom E. Greer. The guy is a defensive guru, a mad scientist on defense. Some say there is no substitute for speed. But dammit, I say Boyle's speed has met its match in the mind of Corbin's Minister of Defense. He wanted me to tell you Doubters of Thomas that it's not about him but it's about the "C". And then it's about his "D".

If Corbin really had a good defensive guru they'd win the state championship.
(08-28-2023, 07:46 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 03:53 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]You all are underestimating Tom E. Greer. The guy is a defensive guru, a mad scientist on defense. Some say there is no substitute for speed. But dammit, I say Boyle's speed has met its match in the mind of Corbin's Minister of Defense. He wanted me to tell you Doubters of Thomas that it's not about him but it's about the "C". And then it's about his "D".

I agree, Dougie. 100% .  I hope the sarcasm dripping from my post above was evident. Smile
(08-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree, Dougie. 100% .  I hope the sarcasm dripping from my post above was evident. Smile

It was evident. I'm an expert when it comes to sarcasm Smile
1A Pikeville close 2nd Raceland
2A Lex Christian
3A CAL close 2nd Lex Catholic
4A Boyle Co close 2nd Cov Catholic
5A Bowling Green close 2nd Scott Co
6A St. X
And what I mean bout close 2nd (the dark horse).
6A is so close… I got to watch more games.
Covington Catholic isn’t close to Boyle… I have a big gap between 1st and 2cd in 4A.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

4. Johnson Central/Ashland/Paducah Tilghman/Franklin County.
(08-28-2023, 02:38 AM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2023, 11:20 PM)hawksby90 Wrote: [ -> ]LCA wins 2A in stride
Maybe, but most folks thought they would last year, not many teams will match their talent but it takes more than just talent.  I believe mayfield, beechwood and Owensboro Catholic will have a day in the matter, you don’t want to play any of those 3 at their house.

As an LCA fan, I would prefer LCA remain an underdog. Please rank them 5th  Cool
Starting off slow but count out Belfry in 3A. Will close the season with a bang.
(08-29-2023, 06:45 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]Starting off slow but count out Belfry in 3A. Will close the season with a bang.

Count out Belfry.
1A pikeville/raceland
2A lca/mayfield
3A Lexington catholic/ ashland blazer
4A Corbin/Boyle county
5A Dont know
6A dont know
1A Pikeville
2A Lexington Christian
3A CAL
4A Covington Catholic/Boyle County
5A Scott Co.
6A Trinity/St. X
(08-29-2023, 03:33 PM)Old School 18 Wrote: [ -> ]1A pikeville/raceland
2A lca/mayfield
3A Lexington catholic/ ashland blazer
4A Corbin/Boyle county
5A Dont know
6A dont know

Ashland is 4A now.
(08-28-2023, 12:27 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Agree .   I'm a white sarcasmist.   Smile

(08-28-2023, 12:52 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Covington Catholic isn’t close to Boyle… I have a big gap between 1st and 2cd in 4A.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

What would you say is the reason for the big gap between 1 and 2.  You watch a lot more football than I do. So I value your opinion more than I do mine. You know player personnel a lot better.  Is it the overall team speed that worries you most? Is Corbin's secondary suspect again like it has been for what seems like decades? What makes Boyle so much better than Corbin(besides coaching, of course)?  I know the last time I saw Corbin and Boyle play, Corbin appeared to be as good , or better, as far as overall talent in that game.
(08-29-2023, 07:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

(08-28-2023, 12:52 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Covington Catholic isn’t close to Boyle… I have a big gap between 1st and 2cd in 4A.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

What would you say is the reason for the big gap between 1 and 2.  You watch a lot more football than I do. So I value your opinion more than I do mine. You know player personnel a lot better.  Is it the overall team speed that worries you most? Is Corbin's secondary suspect again like it has been for what seems like decades? What makes Boyle so much better than Corbin(besides coaching, of course)?  I know the last time I saw Corbin and Boyle play, Corbin appeared to be as good , or better, as far as overall talent in that game.
The Championship game is a game can be somewhat misleading because of nerves. It will make a game closer just because its the last game. Now in saying that. I do believe Corbins last years team was just as talented as Boyle. 

This years main theme is TEAM SPEED. Boyle is fast. I don't know who Corbin has that can matchup with Quisenberry and Brown out in the open field.

Corbin is loaded for bear again this season especially with the field vision of Kid Elam. Im not concerned with the offense of Corbin. Bart Elam proved he can flat out call a good offense worthy to win a State Championship film don't lie. Then I have to give all the Line coaches and Dline coaches some credit because they do a very good job and second to none. They were good coaches to my son when he was there and they did there jobs, film don't lie. 

Now here is my constructive criticism or concern for Corbin. It will come down to defense just like last year, the year before that and you get the picture... Its a never ending story that will come back to bite you every single time. I pay attention to the adjustments and types of defenses that are ran. Final scores will tell you alot. If you get beat, did your offense do its job or did the defense lay a egg? You have to be able to make adjustments on the fly. This is the main difference I see in Boyle and Corbin. 

If all things are equal, talent, size, speed, then the deciding factor is the chess match between coaches. (This is with any teams playing), This is why I put Boyle in a couple spaces seperating them from the pack. Haddix is like Kriss Kross on the sidelines jumping making adjsutments. LOL..He don't waste no time..  *All things are not equal. Boyle has too much SPEED..

Now to give Corbin a fair shake, Like I said, I am not worried about the offense, Kid Elam will handle that part. What I won't to see is the adjustments made under pressure when the different packages are thrown at Corbin. I also want to see the 2 Smith Twins and how they will impact a big time atmosphere game. I know everyone has told me how good they are and I want to see them. 

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

Boyle has a major advantage to team speed. 

Boyle has 4 offensive players that can take it to the house at any point in the game. 2 of those 4 can’t be covered by Corbin. Quissenberry and Brown. If you double team them both the QB and the RB will have a field Day.  Dawson and Bodner.  Quissenberry and Brown will still even make plays being double teamed. See Lex Christian. These 2 earned MVP and scholarships from Power 5 schools. Advantage Boyle

Defensively for Boyle. They tackle well. Obviously they will hit you in the mouth. They make adjustments. #0, #20, #2, #5, #10 are key players. These guys play both ways. 4 of these guys have power 5 offers.  Boyle still has a couple that still hasn’t got eligible that will be impact players.  Secondary and linebackers advantage Boyle

Corbin has 2 power 5 guys that absolutely are great! Better than any 2 on Boyles Line. Edge and DLine advantage Corbin. 

Special Teams. Advantage Boyle. You simply can’t kick it to 4 of the upbacks. And Corbin can’t put it in the end zone this year. 

Coaching. Cox or Justin. 
Advantage Boyle

I know you don’t value my opinion maybe like Bulls. But change my mind on the points above. Corbin has 4-5 players that would start for Justin of the 22 players, O and D.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

I think Corbin has the talent to win  it all. They don't have a defensive guru.
(08-29-2023, 09:00 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2023, 07:46 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]If Corbin really had a good defensive guru they'd win the state championship.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

The Championship game is a game can be somewhat misleading because of nerves. It will make a game closer just because its the last game. Now in saying that. I do believe Corbins last years team was just as talented as Boyle. 

This years main theme is TEAM SPEED. Boyle is fast. I don't know who Corbin has that can matchup with Quisenberry and Brown out in the open field.

Corbin is loaded for bear again this season especially with the field vision of Kid Elam. Im not concerned with the offense of Corbin. Bart Elam proved he can flat out call a good offense worthy to win a State Championship film don't lie. Then I have to give all the Line coaches and Dline coaches some credit because they do a very good job and second to none. They were good coaches to my son when he was there and they did there jobs, film don't lie. 

Now here is my constructive criticism or concern for Corbin. It will come down to defense just like last year, the year before that and you get the picture... Its a never ending story that will come back to bite you every single time. I pay attention to the adjustments and types of defenses that are ran. Final scores will tell you alot. If you get beat, did your offense do its job or did the defense lay a egg? You have to be able to make adjustments on the fly. This is the main difference I see in Boyle and Corbin. 

If all things are equal, talent, size, speed, then the deciding factor is the chess match between coaches. (This is with any teams playing), This is why I put Boyle in a couple spaces seperating them from the pack. Haddix is like Kriss Kross on the sidelines jumping making adjsutments. LOL..He don't waste no time..  *All things are not equal. Boyle has too much SPEED..

Now to give Corbin a fair shake, Like I said, I am not worried about the offense, Kid Elam will handle that part. What I won't to see is the adjustments made under pressure when the different packages are thrown at Corbin. I also want to see the 2 Smith Twins and how they will impact a big time atmosphere game. I know everyone has told me how good they are and I want to see them. 

Is your gap between Boyle and Corbin 3 or 4 TDs big or more like 1 TD big?

(08-29-2023, 09:36 PM)HighViz Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2023, 07:46 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]If Corbin really had a good defensive guru they'd win the state championship.

1. Boyle

2. Corbin
3. Covington Catholic

Boyle has a major advantage to team speed. 

Boyle has 4 offensive players that can take it to the house at any point in the game. 2 of those 4 can’t be covered by Corbin. Quissenberry and Brown. If you double team them both the QB and the RB will have a field Day.  Dawson and Bodner.  Quissenberry and Brown will still even make plays being double teamed. See Lex Christian. These 2 earned MVP and scholarships from Power 5 schools. Advantage Boyle

Defensively for Boyle. They tackle well. Obviously they will hit you in the mouth. They make adjustments. #0, #20, #2, #5, #10 are key players. These guys play both ways. 4 of these guys have power 5 offers.  Boyle still has a couple that still hasn’t got eligible that will be impact players.  Secondary and linebackers advantage Boyle

Corbin has 2 power 5 guys that absolutely are great! Better than any 2 on Boyles Line. Edge and DLine advantage Corbin. 

Special Teams. Advantage Boyle. You simply can’t kick it to 4 of the upbacks. And Corbin can’t put it in the end zone this year. 

Coaching. Cox or Justin. 
Advantage Boyle

I know you don’t value my opinion maybe like Bulls. But change my mind on the points above. Corbin has 4-5 players that would start for Justin of the 22 players, O and D.

Sounds like a pretty good assessment. I would like to see if Bull agrees with your last sentence.  Are 17 or 18 of Boyle's starters better than Corbin's? If that's true, then Corbin has little to no chance.  I believe Corbin has a chance.
Pages: 1 2