Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry County Central 29 Breathitt County 26
Ouch not the start I was expecting in Jackson but maybe they can get it turned around.

Everyone outside of Breathitt County knew WYMT had them overrated at #5 in their preseason poll but I really thought they probably deserved that 9 or 10 spot in their preseason poll but apparently that was even way too high.

I view Breathitt County similar to Prestonsburg in that mountain football is much better when both schools field real good football teams and hopefully both can get back to being able to compete with some of the mountains and 2As best teams.
(08-26-2023, 01:38 PM)Diablo Wrote: Sorry I haven’t memorized the rules West Side.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Breathitt probably be 2-0 if I Sperry played QB.  Could do whole lot with his feet.  I’m sure he can sling a ball sidearm as good as anyone in the have on the team now.  Don’t got to be pretty.

Nobody asked you to "memorize the rules".  But you do need to familiarize yourself with them.  I make concessions a lot for folks who are upset or misinformed or frustrated with their football team, but one thing I will not do is allow negative remarks toward a student athlete.

These kids work too hard and give of themselves.  The deal with injuries, frustrations and disappointments.  This is one rule that I refuse to compromise.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty, Walt Longmire
Was a great game, Breathitt is a solid team, but we need to give Perry a little credit, regardless what happens, if Perry wins its because, the referees cheated, or the other team just isn’t any good. Perry has got a good team, yea they not winning district, that’s Corbin’s, but they can win 7-8 games possibly, very solid QB with 1-2 offers already, 1 for sure from Upike,, 3-4 great recievers, great linebackers, solid secondary. My point, losing to Perry isn’t just this awful embarrassment.

Oh yea and 2 pretty dang good running backs
^Good point and one I didn't consider when first looking at the score.

It seems Perry County has elevated their program the past few years. Is the former Hazard coach, Coach Dixon, still the head coach at Perry County?

Are some kids that would have played at Hazard in years past now deciding to play at Perry County?

Perry County Football has a lot of potential in the future. It will be interesting to see where that program is in 10 or 20 years if things are done the right way. God willing I'll be here too see.
(08-26-2023, 02:43 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: ^Good point and one I didn't consider when first looking at the score.

It seems Perry County has elevated their program the past few years.  Is the former Hazard coach, Coach Dixon, still the head coach at Perry County?

Are some kids that would have played at Hazard in years past now deciding to play at Perry County?

Perry County Football has a lot of potential in the future. It will be interesting to see where that program is in 10 or 20 years if things are done the right way.  God willing I'll be here to see.
Coach Dixon is the head man yes, and not sure on the kids as far as hazard, I know Kizer our QB came from Knott to play for Dixon and there’s a lineman from Knott also
Perry is a solid team i agree, but they arent gonna get the respect on here, we could win 6-7 games i think and i agree, everyones playing for 2nd in the district
(08-26-2023, 11:08 AM)wolfcat Wrote: I'm not going 2 name the kids who should be in but watch the game 2 come 2 mind very quickly. Also not to mention any names but if I were Kyle Moore a certain starter would be off the team or at very least suspended for next game. This is 2 weeks in a row he has had bone headed plays. The personal foul on late punt return was horrendous. Also horrible clock management in that last drive, no sense of urgency and poor use of time outs.
As far as expectations go you return the entire team pretty much from a team that was a bad away from Regional champs. You expect at least as good result the following year.
Plus rightfully or wrongfully (wrongfully my eyes) this sophomore class has been called the best class since the John Radar,  Waylon Chapman, shorty combs group that won the 1st title at breathitt as seniors. Personally I disagree but I saw a better team than has been fielded so far.
As far as Coach Moore he built up a lot of security be leading the bobcats to Rupp last year so I dont see his job being in jeopardy. Should it be?
Agree with everything you said wolfcat. Clock management was terrible at the end. And play calling is terrible. Got to get sperry they ball. 

I heard the same thing about this sophomore class and I can tell you this class is nowhere near the class of 95. I went to school with all them boys and they are def a different breed than these boys.
What I saw was undisciplined players on both sides. Lots of dumb penalties. Poor clock management by Breathitt, especially end of game. Breathitt’s no. 4 looked like a real playmaker but didn’t get many opportunities. Perry’s QB throws a nice accurate ball. Let him loose!
(08-26-2023, 07:53 PM)mandan Wrote: What I saw was undisciplined players on both sides. Lots of dumb penalties. Poor clock management by Breathitt, especially end of game. Breathitt’s no. 4 looked like a real playmaker but didn’t get many opportunities. Perry’s QB throws a nice accurate ball. Let him loose!
They seem to only use the QB on 3rd and desperate, he has to bail them out a lot, I agree with you perry needs to let kizer throw more and especially on early down situations.  Just my opinion.
Well it’s good to see you mods finally deleting some of the negativity. I sure saw enough negativity given to the Breathitt County boys basketball team last year. Those posts stayed up forever when they should been instantly removed. Good to see things changing.
Kizer is a good QB.
WeElite has him in the top 20 players in the region and I agree. Kid had some good throws when they needed it yesterday. One he threw from the end zone under pressure.
I don’t know much about the We elite thing but I think he’s the one of the best QB in our area, yea I’m a Perry guy and have been for many years, I also think he may be committed to Upike but not 100% sure on that
kizer had 700 less passing yards and 7 less touchdowns last year than he did his sophomore year at knott and he did that in 2 less games. Knott let him air it out i think perry has athletes where 25 attempts a game would be efficient and more first down pass plays. Breathitt had a chance to win it at the end, horrible last 4 plays.
(08-26-2023, 11:27 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: kizer had 700 less passing yards and 7 less touchdowns last year than he did his sophomore year at knott and he did that in 2 less games. Knott let him air it out i think perry has athletes where 25 attempts a game would be efficient and more first down pass plays. Breathitt had a chance to win it at the end, horrible last 4 plays.
I agree.  They need to utilize the pass game more, they have the QB and the recievers to throw the ball more and put points up.  But they are old school and won’t use the passing game like they should.
(08-26-2023, 11:27 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: kizer had 700 less passing yards and 7 less touchdowns last year than he did his sophomore year at knott and he did that in 2 less games. Knott let him air it out i think perry has athletes where 25 attempts a game would be efficient and more first down pass plays. Breathitt had a chance to win it at the end, horrible last 4 plays.

Knott also just won two games and I would trust a fart with the flu as much as I trust Knott’s stats in 2021.

There were games where they credited more solo tackles to their kids than the other teams ran plays. It caught people’s attention and straightened up by the end of the year. Just looking at the first game of the season and I can see Knott reported Slone with almost 500 yards and Bath County reported they only gave up 369. Second game the other team left the defensive stats blank. Third game they reported Slone with 200 and Martin County said they gave up 150.

I would trust the touchdown stats since the points would have to add up but Knott wasn’t able to run the ball the way Perry can.
(08-27-2023, 01:29 PM)running_clock Wrote:

Knott also just won two games and I would trust a fart with the flu as much as I trust Knott’s stats in 2021.

There were games where they credited more solo tackles to their kids than the other teams ran plays. It caught people’s attention and straightened up by the end of the year. Just looking at the first game of the season and I can see Knott reported Slone with almost 500 yards and Bath County reported they only gave up 369. Second game the other team left the defensive stats blank. Third game they reported Slone with 200 and Martin County said they gave up 150.

I would trust the touchdown stats since the points would have to add up but Knott wasn’t able to run the ball the way Perry can.
I agree stats are padded at every school, there’s teams now that are turning in 200-300 passing yards a game when it’s 70-80 less, and I also agree Knott could not run the ball so slone had to pass a lot there. But I still think he’s one of the best QB’s in this area, and I think we need to throw the ball more on early downs, instead of putting kizer in 3rd down and long situations and expect him to bail us out like he had too a couple times against Breathitt and somerset, it’s just my opinion and it’s  not like anything I am Gonna say will change coach’s Dixon’s mind lol.
Hard to not run the ball when Jackson averages about 5 yards a game. Not like Perry has a stable of fast receivers. Kilburn being the fastest but he’s lucky to be a 4.9 five flat guy at best. If Sperry played at Perry, he’d get 10 catches a game for Kizer.

Meant Jackson averages about 5 yards a carry.
(08-27-2023, 01:50 PM)Diablo Wrote: Hard to not run the ball when Jackson averages about 5 yards a game.  Not like Perry has a stable of fast receivers.  Kilburn being the fastest but he’s lucky to be a 4.9 five flat guy at best.  If Sperry played at Perry, he’d get 10 catches a game for Kizer.

Meant Jackson averages about 5 yards a carry.
I heard from a friend Perry's hand timed 40's Kilburn was listed at around 4.6, Tyler Smith was listed at around a 4.75, and it just declines from there. Sperry, in that game he got targeted 5 or 6 times with 1 catch, the passes that went to him were either guarded by the corner or he just simply dropped them. I hope Breathitt utilizes him more, but it isn't looking good for the bobcats this year.
You may be right Heisman but I’d have to see with my own eyes. Cade Miller was a 4.6 guy and he could take it to the house at any time. Nobody on the team can run close to him. I’d think Derrick Fields is Perry’s best 40 guy.
(08-26-2023, 01:40 AM)Jet fighter Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 01:03 AM)HighViz Wrote: Still undisciplined. Embarrassing. Congrats Perry.

Poor QB play on both sides.
Not sure what game you watched but both QBs played very well
Compared to? They both missed many many easy passes.   that’s poor to me. If you can’t complete a WR or HB screen pass that’s poor.   The PCC QB is def better.  

would they play on your team(s)? That’s what I ask myself.  The answer is NO.  Can they get better? Will they do better? Yes.  

Is Breathitt all hype? Yes.  

Perry should have won by 21+.

To everyone that says Breathitt should line up in the bone and run belly and veer. They don’t have the personnel to do that either. Primarily running teams are great at their craft. See JC, Belfry, Scott co. They aren’t on that level. For them to play hard and mean, means to fight with pads on and get personal fouls.
Play-calling in the end cost Breathitt this game. Should have run the ball with 6 minutes to go, up a score close to midfield. But two pass plays in a row, one fumbled, and one incomplete. What a mess it was. Would not be such a big deal but it seems like these things happen more times than not in close games. End-of-quarter or end-of-game time management is not good.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

[-] The following 1 user Likes Poseidon's post:
  • Tailback44
Just noticed going back to 2010, Perry has won the last 10 meetings against Breathitt. Could be more than that because that’s as far back as he the page went. That’s a crazy streak for such a powerhouse program like Breathitt acts like they have
Breathitt hasn't beat perry in 20 years.
End of the game was just so poignant and pathetic. Clock management with the timeouts was awful. The last pass you got to give you receiver a chance to catch it. Sperry your best playmaker drops would across the middle of the field which could been the difference of the game. Tired of losing to Perry to be honest. I thought we had the best team last few years
As someone mentioned earlier it was a tale of two different halves. Breathitt looked composed, and surprisingly disciplined, while Perry wasn't composed and wasn't disciplined. Breathitt's Quarterback, Stacy, was managing the game and their defense looked to be improving. In the second half the script completely flipped. Breathitt was back to it's old tricks with being undisciplined and getting too many foolish penalties. Too many unsportsmanlike penalties, and too many missed assignments on defense. Offensively, Stacy got banged up and a bad snap and costly penalties put Breathitt behind the chains on an important drive to go up two scores. Perry capitalized and remained disciplined while the wheels came off for the Bobcats. Perry put the ball in the air, and Breathitt's corners could not cover. At the end of the game, their was poor clock management, which put Breathitt in a tough situation. Perry is a good football team, but this was a game Breathitt should have won, but you have to take your hats off to Perry and their coaching staff, for finding a way to grind out the win. On the other hand, the "culture" at Breathitt needs to change. If kids can't keep their emotions in check, it's the coaching staff's responsibility to put them on the sidelines. Breathitt has talent, but it seems like the culture of the program is having a negative impact on the team. Hopefully, it get worked out and the Bobcats can rebound and make a run!
[-] The following 2 users Like Cat Daddy's post:
  • Tailback44, wolfcat
(08-27-2023, 04:51 PM)Diablo Wrote: You may be right Heisman but I’d have to see with my own eyes.  Cade Miller was a 4.6 guy and he could take it to the house at any time.  Nobody on the team can run close to him.  I’d think Derrick Fields is Perry’s best 40 guy.
I have not been around that team enough to tell you how fast they are, but i can always tell ya 40 hand times are pretty much a scam. The best athletes in our area for years topped out at a 4.5-4.6 range. The guys from the mountains that break 4.4 end up in lexington or another d1 school. I can honestly say it’s rare to find a sub4.5 guy when the lasers are out.
It is great to see Perry Central off to a good start. It's bad enough to suffer my high school closing but I sure wish that the school that absorbed it would have a little more success. I wish that we could have held on to Haddix when we had him. Nobody wins a coaching musical chairs game. Maybe tthe PCC administration has learned its lesson and will give Coach Dixon all the time that he needs to build a great program at PCC. I would love to see them play in a 5A final before I die.
(08-30-2023, 01:54 PM)Lucas Wrote: It is great to see Perry Central off to a good start. It's bad enough to suffer my high school closing but I sure wish that the school that absorbed it would have a little more success. I wish that we could have held on to Haddix when we had him. Nobody wins a coaching musical chairs game. Maybe tthe PCC administration has learned its lesson and will give Coach Dixon all the time that he needs to build a great program at PCC. I would love to see them play in a 5A final before I die.
Perry is moving in the right direction, and will be competitve for most games, but with the district theyre in now it will be hard to win a playoff game , they can possibly win first round if they can get 2 seed, but i think that would be the end of the road.. And after losing 13 seniors this year, next year will be rebuild mode
[-] The following 1 user Likes the gambler's post:
  • Lucas
(08-26-2023, 11:39 AM)AverageJoe Wrote:
(08-26-2023, 11:08 AM)wolfcat Wrote: I'm not going 2 name the kids who should be in but watch the game 2 come 2 mind very quickly. Also not to mention any names but if I were Kyle Moore a certain starter would be off the team or at very least suspended for next game. This is 2 weeks in a row he has had bone headed plays. The personal foul on late punt return was horrendous. Also horrible clock management in that last drive, no sense of urgency and poor use of time outs.
As far as expectations go you return the entire team pretty much from a team that was a bad away from Regional champs. You expect at least as good result the following year.
Plus rightfully or wrongfully (wrongfully my eyes) this sophomore class has been called the best class since the John Radar,  Waylon Chapman, shorty combs group that won the 1st title at breathitt as seniors. Personally I disagree but I saw a better team than has been fielded so far.
As far as Coach Moore he built up a lot of security be leading the bobcats to Rupp last year so I dont see his job being in jeopardy. Should it be?

Not sure how a sweet 16 bball appearance is related to football at all?  Maybe you could start a team up Bethany and run the bone. WCW- Wolfe County Wolves  

Each year is an entirely different team.   If the coaches and kids don't put in the work.. it shows on friday nights.     

"Sophomore class has been the best class since 95"  who has ever claimed that? Zero college prospects and not a single player running under a 4.75.
James David Fugate in the Breathitt Times Voice has made that claim several times in the paper. I disagree totally. I can think of at least 3 classes I would take over this sophomore class.

As far as not having any college prospects I think that is far fetched. You telling me Gibson or Hall don't have opportunity to play college ball at U Pike or Centre

(08-26-2023, 04:24 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote:
Agree with everything you said wolfcat. Clock management was terrible at the end. And play calling is terrible. Got to get sperry they ball. 

I heard the same thing about this sophomore class and I can tell you this class is nowhere near the class of 95. I went to school with all them boys and they are def a different breed than these boys.

Yes they were. Some great players in that class for sure. Been some pretty good ones since then too. 96, 98, 02, 09. Big shoes 2 fill.
(08-31-2023, 11:29 AM)the gambler Wrote:
(08-30-2023, 01:54 PM)Lucas Wrote: It is great to see Perry Central off to a good start. It's bad enough to suffer my high school closing but I sure wish that the school that absorbed it would have a little more success. I wish that we could have held on to Haddix when we had him. Nobody wins a coaching musical chairs game. Maybe tthe PCC administration has learned its lesson and will give Coach Dixon all the time that he needs to build a great program at PCC. I would love to see them play in a 5A final before I die.
Perry is moving in the right direction, and will be competitve for most games, but with the district theyre in now it will be hard to win a playoff game , they can possibly win first round if they can get 2 seed, but i think that would be the end of the road.. And after losing 13 seniors this year, next year will be rebuild mode
I hope you're wrong about next season being a rebuilding year. PCC has been playing football long enough and has enough athletes to avoid rebuilding. They just need to stick with a coach and a system long enough to build a quality program that kids want to be part of. They've chased off and passed on enough good coaches to have built a great program. Some people are just slow learners and have to see good ole boy politics destroy a program over and over and others never do learn the lesson. Haddix could have built a dynasty at PCC by now if they had left him alone to do his thing.