Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking ahead: Class 1A 2023
I agree, Pikeville wins the title in A, no matter who or who doesn’t transfer in.
Agreed. Pikeville's line  will be where the coaches want it to be by Nov,. whether transfers or not. No question marks for the skilled unit this season. They are going to be exciting to watch. Just have to watch for injuries in the start of the season.
I'm surprised Pikeville hasn't requested to play up with as dominant as they've been and the talent pool there. Staying in 1A seems to be a bit of a waste as the team isn't really being challenged outside of a handful of regular season games.
(06-29-2023, 02:35 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I'm surprised Pikeville hasn't requested to play up with as dominant as they've been and the talent pool there. Staying in 1A seems to be a bit of a waste as the team isn't really being challenged outside of a handful of regular season games.
Then they would t be able to call themselves state champions at the end of each year. There are two major competitors in 2A that would give Pikeville more then all the want
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Waitaminute
(06-29-2023, 02:35 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I'm surprised Pikeville hasn't requested to play up with as dominant as they've been and the talent pool there. Staying in 1A seems to be a bit of a waste as the team isn't really being challenged outside of a handful of regular season games.
If Pikeville played a cupcake schedule, your comment would hold some merit, but take a look at last season's schedule. 1.At Corbin 2.Cov. Cath 4.Belfry 5.LCA 6.Mad.Central 7. At Sayre 8.Hazard. 9.Lynn Camp 10.Harlan 11.Paintsville 12. New Cath 13. Raceland(state Championship) That is one of the most rigid schedules statewide especially for a 1-A school. What else can Pikeville do, schedule Trinity, Male, Boyle co., etc? There's a reason Pikeville schedules teams like this. It's located in the trophy case at PHS.

(06-29-2023, 02:44 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
Then they would t be able to call themselves state champions at the end of each year. There are two major competitors in 2A that would give Pikeville more then all the want
So your saying that's the reason Pikeville hasn't moved up to 2-A? (Beechwood-Mayfield) If you knew anything about Pikeville's football team, you would know that it doesn't run from any competition. Again, look at last season's schedule.
Beechwood and Mayfield are glad Pikeville isn't 2A...
Plus nothing wrong with teams in any class giving each other all they want. That's what makes it awesome...
(06-29-2023, 10:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
Plus nothing wrong with teams in any class giving each other all they want. That's what makes it awesome...
I saw Beechwood play twice last year before Berger was injured and I think Pikeville was 2 Td’s better.
I think Pikeville is glad Beechwood and Mayfield aren’t 1A. Pikeville is very good and on a great run, but last year is the only year they may have won 2A since Beechwood moved up. In 19 Somerset, LCA, and Mayfield were all very good and as good as Pikeville was that year, they weren’t beating any of those teams. They certainly weren’t beating Beechwood or LCA in 20 or 21. Last year would have been the year Pikeville could have won 2A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Orange Blaze
So is it confirmed those lineman are at Pikeville?
(06-29-2023, 09:47 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
If Pikeville played a cupcake schedule, your comment would hold some merit, but take a look at last season's schedule. 1.At Corbin 2.Cov. Cath 4.Belfry 5.LCA 6.Mad.Central 7. At Sayre 8.Hazard. 9.Lynn Camp 10.Harlan 11.Paintsville 12. New Cath 13. Raceland(state Championship) That is one of the most rigid schedules statewide especially for a 1-A school. What else can Pikeville do, schedule Trinity, Male, Boyle co., etc? There's a reason Pikeville schedules teams like this. It's located in the trophy case at PHS.

So your saying that's the reason Pikeville hasn't moved up to 2-A? (Beechwood-Mayfield) If you knew anything about Pikeville's football team, you would know that it doesn't run from any competition. Again, look at last season's schedule.
Just curious Big-Five-O, how close are Pikeville's numbers to being a 2A school? I wouldn't think that they'd be close. If they ever moved to 2A it would be by their choice, correct?
(06-30-2023, 09:20 AM)Slic Ric Wrote:

Just curious Big-Five-O, how close are Pikeville's numbers to being a 2A school? I wouldn't think that they'd be close. If they ever moved to 2A it would be by their choice, correct?

Pikeville was at 177.5 last year. 1A is 0-190
(06-29-2023, 11:55 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:
I think Pikeville is glad Beechwood and Mayfield aren’t 1A. Pikeville is very good and on a great run, but last year is the only year they may have won 2A since Beechwood moved up. In 19 Somerset, LCA, and Mayfield were all very good and as good as Pikeville was that year, they weren’t beating any of those teams. They certainly weren’t beating Beechwood or LCA in 20 or 21. Last year would have been the year Pikeville could have won 2A.
Pikeville wins 2A in 2019 going away. finished undefeated and won championship game 43-0, finished 7th overall Calpreps.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Patriot1
(06-30-2023, 10:40 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote:

I think this will answer your question SR. Enrollment should be quite a distance from 2-A numbers.

I would think that is correct, by choice SR.

They lost their first two games then blew out literally everyone else they played. They are a mile ahead of 1A right now with all the kids transferring in, that's my whole point 1A isn't a challenge for them. But as was stated they want to call themselves "State Champs" so moving up doesn't make sense I suppose, why risk it. Their schedule was not that challenging Belfry and LCA definitely are good opponents but neither team last year was at the top of their game.
Time to end this discussion, KHSAA just voted no more playing up in classification.
(06-30-2023, 01:17 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

(06-29-2023, 02:44 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Then they would t be able to call themselves state champions at the end of each year. There are two major competitors in 2A that would give Pikeville more then all the want

I think this will answer your question SR. Enrollment should be quite a distance from 2-A numbers.

Thanks for the info. Personally I like them in 1A because I like the competition & rivalry they bring, not to mention they're a class act. I'd rather Raceland have to go through them to win their 1st title than to do it through someone else because they moved up in class.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slic Ric's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(06-30-2023, 02:12 PM)Slic Ric Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 01:17 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 09:47 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote: If Pikeville played a cupcake schedule, your comment would hold some merit, but take a look at last season's schedule. 1.At Corbin 2.Cov. Cath 4.Belfry 5.LCA 6.Mad.Central 7. At Sayre 8.Hazard. 9.Lynn Camp 10.Harlan 11.Paintsville 12. New Cath 13. Raceland(state Championship) That is one of the most rigid schedules statewide especially for a 1-A school. What else can Pikeville do, schedule Trinity, Male, Boyle co., etc? There's a reason Pikeville schedules teams like this. It's located in the trophy case at PHS.

(06-29-2023, 02:44 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Then they would t be able to call themselves state champions at the end of each year. There are two major competitors in 2A that would give Pikeville more then all the want
Thanks for the info. Personally I like them in 1A because I like the competition & rivalry they bring, not to mention they're a class act. I'd rather Raceland have to go through them to win their 1st title than to do it through someone else because they moved up in class.
Agreed. That would be such a competitive game in the semi finals, not to mention Raceland being the 3rd game on the schedule. Going to be an exciting season for both teams.
I know we all have are ifs but if Jackson Hensley hadn’t got hurt in 2018 Becchnits would be short 1 state championship trophy
(06-30-2023, 10:16 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I know we all have are ifs but if Jackson Hensley hadn’t got hurt in 2018 Becchnits would be short 1 state championship trophy

And if Ethan Stringer and Trevor Soward don’t get hurt in the playoffs in 2015, Pikeville is short one title. Stringer was leading 1A in rushing when he got hurt and him and Soward were 2 of their 3 starting LBs. Beechwood had to start a freshman at RB and a 3rd string guy at MLB that game. We can play this what if game all night long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
(06-30-2023, 10:59 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 10:16 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: I know we all have are ifs but if Jackson Hensley hadn’t got hurt in 2018 Becchnits would be short 1 state championship trophy

And if Ethan Stringer and Trevor Soward don’t get hurt in the playoffs in 2015, Pikeville is short one title. Stringer was leading 1A in rushing when he got hurt and him and Soward were 2 of their 3 starting LBs. Beechwood had to start a freshman at RB and a 3rd string guy at MLB that game. We can play this what if game all night long.
Beechwood moved Slusher to RB and didn't miss a beat. Pikeville steamrolled the Beechies for over 500 yards in that game and 
scored 28 straight to win going away. Daric Pugh had 243 yards rushing. Beechwood could have played Stringer at RB and 12 on defense and Pikeville was still winning big.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42
(06-30-2023, 01:43 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

They lost their first two games then blew out literally everyone else they played. They are a mile ahead of 1A right now with all the kids transferring in, that's my whole point 1A isn't a challenge for them. But as was stated they want to call themselves "State Champs" so moving up doesn't make sense I suppose, why risk it. Their schedule was not that challenging Belfry and LCA definitely are good opponents but neither team last year was at the top of their game.

As of today "all the kids transferring in" = zero confirmed...
(07-01-2023, 04:26 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 10:59 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:

Beechwood moved Slusher to RB and didn't miss a beat. Pikeville steamrolled the Beechies for over 500 yards in that game and 
scored 28 straight to win going away. Daric Pugh had 243 yards rushing. Beechwood could have played Stringer at RB and 12 on defense and Pikeville was still winning big.

Beechwood moved Slusher to RB and didn’t miss a beat?!!
Absolutely delusional comment!!
By moving Slusher to RB when they went to the I or the Wildcat it took their best receiver out of the passing game. When they were in the spread they had to put a freshman at RB because Slusher was at WR. Pikeville was able to sit in a 3-2 in the box because they did not fear the running game out of the spread. I can assure you if you sat in that 3-2 with Stringer back there he would have absolutely carved up your defense. When that happens you have to add a guy back to the box, which in turn opens up the passing game. To say Beechwood didn’t miss a beat without Stringer or Soward is just ridiculous. That game was tied at 21-21 heading into the 4th quarter, and Beechwood just wore down,. Pugh was a great back, and so was Stringer. His absence was huge in this game.
Wasn't just Pugh. Blake Charles dominated. Battaile dominated. 28-0 with game on the line. Men vs boys in that game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42

men vs boys
(07-02-2023, 01:02 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

men vs boys

Pikeville flat out controlled the line of scrimmage while on offense and defense. From what the tape shows, it wouldn’t have mattered who Beechwood had at RB. Then you add in that Pikeville was a way way more physical team combined with outstanding LB play. Regardless of the score at the half, you could see this game was over when it started because of the domination of the Pikeville line. That’s just my .02 and I agree with jetpilot on men vs boys.
(07-01-2023, 12:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Wasn't just Pugh. Blake Charles dominated. Battaile dominated. 28-0 with game on the line. Men vs boys in that game.
When at 100% Pikeville and Paintsville were evenly matched and were the two  best teams in Class A that year.  If Kash Daniel played in the Semi’s Paintsville might have gotten their first title a few years earlier.
You can tell it’s the offseason when we are arguing a game from eight years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(07-02-2023, 12:16 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote: You can tell it’s the offseason when we are arguing a game from eight years ago.
The fact that this was 8 years ago is mind blowing.  It seems like those teams were just playing.  I coached kids from that era and several have gone on to earn masters degrees and some have even have finished medical school. It’s just wild to think about how fast time went by.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Panther Thunder
Any one know any information or got any thing for the 2023 season?
(07-02-2023, 10:45 PM)bac2369 Wrote: Any one know any information or got any thing for the 2023 season?
Coming into this season this is my preseason top 5.

1.Pikeville 
2. Raceland
3. Hazard
4. NCC
5. Williamsburg
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • 16thregioner