Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Looking ahead: Class 1A 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Class 1A
West
1- Ballard Memorial, Caverna, Fulton County, Russellville
2- Bethlehem, Campbellsville, Holy Cross (Louisville), Kentucky Country Day
3- Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Newport Central Catholic
4- Bishop Brossart, Holy Cross (Covington), Ludlow, Trimble County

East
5- Berea, Eminence, Frankfort, Sayre
6- Fairview, Nicholas County, Paris, Raceland
* 7- Harlan, Lynn Camp, Middlesboro, Pineville, Williamsburg
* 8- Hazard, Paintsville, Pikeville

Can anyone take down Pikeville? Who is the top teams in 1A?
(02-17-2023, 07:34 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Class 1A
West

East

If anyone is going to take down Pikeville this season, better give it your best because the next three after that they will be loaded scary good.
Pikeville might lose a couple close games early but will be steamrolling Class A teams in the playoffs...
West

East

Pikeville, Raceland-  Team to watch in the upcoming years is Sayre they are starting to get a few players that would go to Lex.Cath or LCA, what's hurting them know is facilities, they are so land locked right in the middle of downtown, not sure where they even practice, but there game field(literally) is about 8-10 miles from the school.
(02-18-2023, 11:15 AM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: [ -> ]
West

East

Pikeville, Raceland-  Team to watch in the upcoming years is Sayre they are starting to get a few players that would go to Lex.Cath or LCA, what's hurting them know is facilities, they are so land locked right in the middle of downtown, not sure where they even practice, but there game field(literally) is about 8-10 miles from the school.

You best watch them this year and next for sure.
I will watch Sayre and wish them well. As of today they have 6-8 TDs to make up to contend for a Class A title.
Sayre has a good staff and the ability to pull from some of the traditional Lexington powers. They have a long way to go though to be in the mix for a title
(02-19-2023, 03:06 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]Sayre has a good staff and the ability to pull from some of the traditional Lexington powers. They have a long way to go though to be in the mix for a title
I think expensive tuition at a start up program makes it a hard sell for higher caliber athletes when you have several less expensive and more established programs to choose from in the area.  I’m honestly surprised Pennington hasn’t been poached away by FD or Scott County.  I’m not sure what his ties are in Lexington and it probably won’t happen but I think he would be a steal for the Beechwood opening as well.
(02-19-2023, 04:05 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]I will watch Sayre and wish them well. As of today they have 6-8 TDs to make up to contend for a Class A title.

Yes for this past year. Now for 2023 it will mostly likely be the most wide open it’s been in sometime. Now u take Pikeville out from last year and it’s competitive. Sayre had Hazard on the ropes last season. Raceland/Hazard was a damn good game and went down to the very last play because Raceland didn’t want to give the ball back to Hazard. Newport Central Catholic probably matched up well with both Hazard and Raceland. I can’t wait to see how 2023 shakes up.
I agree bac, 2023 will be a fun and exciting year. Several teams in the mix and lots Pikeville Hazard and Raceland have excellent schedules.
(02-19-2023, 07:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]I agree bac, 2023 will be a fun and exciting year. Several teams in the mix and lots Pikeville Hazard and Raceland have excellent schedules.

Yes they do. Pikeville and Raceland are the front runners. Hazard will have some work to do. The good thing I like from Hazard is there front 3 defensively. The question is will they be on the field all game or can the offense get it going.
Pikeville wins 1A again
(02-19-2023, 03:06 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]Sayre has a good staff and the ability to pull from some of the traditional Lexington powers. They have a long way to go though to be in the mix for a title

Had is the correct wording, had a good staff.
Who did they lose from the staff?
(02-19-2023, 07:41 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2023, 07:32 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]I agree bac, 2023 will be a fun and exciting year. Several teams in the mix and lots Pikeville Hazard and Raceland have excellent schedules.

Yes they do. Pikeville and Raceland are the front runners. Hazard will have some work to do. The good thing I like from Hazard is there front 3 defensively. The question is will they be on the field all game or can the offense get it going.
Who are front 3 for Hazard. I thought Hazard D was awful last year but they looked good vs Raceland. Hazard is the wild card IMO
(02-19-2023, 10:04 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2023, 07:41 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]

Who are front 3 for Hazard. I thought Hazard D was awful last year but they looked good vs Raceland. Hazard is the wild card IMO

Every Class 1A team looked bad last year to Pikeville. Hazards front 3 are Kyle Barnett, Davion Strode and Kenyon Higgins.

Hazard has to show me they can be the wild card. I’m not saying they can’t, but they gotta prove it. New kids will have to step up. At this moment there in the bottom half of the top 10.
What does Newport and Middlesboro bring to class A this year? Is either team good enough to make some noise?
I don’t see them being anything beyond a bottom top 10 team at best. Middlesboro that is. They were the better of the 2, imo. But both Middlesboro and Newport lost to 1A Hazard and 1A NCC by 3 scores. If both teams return the house, then maybe they can make a push as a dark horse, but at best I see them being along the same lines as Nicholas Co, Paintsville, etc.
(02-20-2023, 08:24 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]What does Newport and Middlesboro bring to class A this year? Is either team good enough to make some noise?

Newport probably be in the 14-20+ range. The team to watch and keep an eye on is Covington Holy Cross. They return basically everyone.

Middlesboro is probably top 5 coming into the season. There season will depend on injuries. But I think there solidly at the 5 spot.
if injuries dont get middlesboro they can make a run coach french is bringing middlesboro back to the glory days
(02-28-2023, 02:34 AM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]if injuries dont get middlesboro they can make a run coach french is bringing middlesboro back to the glory days

Middlesboro lost to Williamsburg, Hazard (big) and Shelby Valley last year. They will get bulldozed in the Class A playoffs in 2023 as soon as they face a good team.
(02-28-2023, 09:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2023, 02:34 AM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]if injuries dont get middlesboro they can make a run coach french is bringing middlesboro back to the glory days

Middlesboro lost to Williamsburg, Hazard (big) and Shelby Valley last year. They will get bulldozed in the Class A playoffs in 2023 as soon as they face a good team.

mboro will be the best upfront that they've been in 20 years they have a few transfers that will make a soild differance
Bump
(02-28-2023, 09:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

They also lost their top 3 tacklers. Wilson can't do it all on that side, definitely gonna need some guys to step up on D for the Yellowjackets.
1- Pikeville

Grand Canyon of a gap

2- Raceland

Everyone else
im calling it now i know some gonna call me crazy but middlesboro will be a top 4 team in 1 a this year
I just don’t see anyone improving enough over one off-season, minus some UNREAL transfers, to beat Pikeville. They have just proven themselves year in and out to be at least 4 scores better than the next best team. When it comes to making it to the title game, the only team last year that played with Raceland in the playoffs, was Hazard. I kind of feel like it’s going to look a lot like that this year as well. It’s Pikevilles to lose, Racelands to take. Hazards to spoil. Imo.
Pikeville will probably lose a game or two early on while breaking in new linemen against a tough schedule.

However come playoff time good luck to the rest of 1A.

Pikeville vs Raceland rematch in early December.
(06-21-2023, 09:20 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: [ -> ]I just don’t see anyone improving enough over one off-season, minus some UNREAL transfers, to beat Pikeville. They have just proven themselves year in and out to be at least 4 scores better than the next best team. When it comes to making it to the title game, the only team last year that played with Raceland in the playoffs, was Hazard. I kind of feel like it’s going to look a lot like that this year as well. It’s Pikevilles to lose, Racelands to take. Hazards to spoil. Imo.

keep sleeping on middlesboro thats what we want not saying we are on pikeville level but we are on 2 on down level pikeville can win 1-3 a state championships this year imo
(06-23-2023, 02:52 AM)mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2023, 09:20 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: [ -> ]I just don’t see anyone improving enough over one off-season, minus some UNREAL transfers, to beat Pikeville. They have just proven themselves year in and out to be at least 4 scores better than the next best team. When it comes to making it to the title game, the only team last year that played with Raceland in the playoffs, was Hazard. I kind of feel like it’s going to look a lot like that this year as well. It’s Pikevilles to lose, Racelands to take. Hazards to spoil. Imo.

keep sleeping on middlesboro thats what we want not saying we are on pikeville level but we are on 2 on down level pikeville can win 1-3 a state championships this year imo

I hope Middlesboro is as good as you say. Class A needs more good teams.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5