Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 too early champion predictions
(02-17-2023, 05:59 PM)CC117 Wrote: Everybody deals with it all season I get it but BC lost 2 key players right in the middle of the LexCath game during the first matchup.  And still was a false start penalty away from winning it with under a minute left.  The truer comparison last season for those 2 teams was the second matchup, in my opinion
Well if you go by that, even though I think Boyle would have still won. LC leading rusher #24 and there leading tackler #16 was out injured the last few games of the regular season and most of the playoffs, so not even close to 100%. Works both ways, so not sure if was a good comparison.
If you believe CC would have beaten BG last year that is comedy in of itself.

Covington Catholic got dominated by Highlands at home. Highlands turned the ball over four times in the first half and still won by multiple scores. Highlands was no world beater last season either.
I don't know how anybody can say Boyle dominated BG. It was a one score game through pretty much the duration of the game. Bowling Green was tied 7-7 with Douglass at half and thoroughly outgained them. A credit to the broncos for flipping the switch in the second half but this has gotten out of hand. Bowling Green was the clear number two last season in 5A. There are no rewards for that. People like to come on here and rewrite history. Comedy
(02-17-2023, 06:39 PM)Fade Wrote: If you believe CC would have beaten BG last year that is comedy in of itself.

Covington Catholic got dominated by Highlands at home. Highlands turned the ball over four times in the first half and still won by multiple scores. Highlands was no world beater last season either.
I don't know how anybody can say Boyle dominated BG. It was a one score game through pretty much the duration of the game. Bowling Green was tied 7-7 with Douglass at half and thoroughly outgained them. A credit to the broncos for flipping the switch in the second half but this has gotten out of hand. Bowling Green was the clear number two last season in 5A. There are no rewards for that. People like to come on here and rewrite history. Comedy

As far as what I am saying about Covington Catholic going to class 4A is that they will compete and be in the top 5 easy IMO. So with them being put in the east in class 4A, that tells me that they should be one of the 4 teams playing in round 3 looking to make a deep run and making the playoffs more interesting. They have a very comparible wins to some 4A teams that played at Kroger field. Facts.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Fade
(02-17-2023, 06:47 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 06:39 PM)Fade Wrote: If you believe CC would have beaten BG last year that is comedy in of itself.

As far as what I am saying about Covington Catholic going to class 4A is that they will compete and be in the top 5 easy IMO. So with them being put in the east in class 4A, that tells me that they should be one of the 4 teams playing in round 3 looking to make a deep run and making the playoffs more interesting. They have a very comparible wins to some 4A teams that played at Kroger field. Facts.
I agree with that assessment and think that is a sound take. If you go to my first post on the thread I have Cov Cath as my 4A representative. This post was strictly speaking on as it pertains to last season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fade's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Bull got out!
(02-17-2023, 06:50 PM)Fade Wrote:

I agree with that assessment and think that is a sound take. If you go to my first post on the thread I have Cov Cath as my 4A representative. This post was strictly speaking on as it pertains to last season.

I think Bowling Green after watching the championship game looked like a different animal from the beginning of the season. If Frederick Douglass coached hadn't switched and started blitzing, Bowling Green may have won that game. But thats a matter of opinion.  I have told many people this offseason that 5A looks to be Bowling Greens to lose. Now thats saying if they can makeup the losses to graduation and they seem to always do. Covington Catholic when I look at the record comparing to say Corbin and Boyle looks to be right there, now thats not throwing shade at Bowling Green. Bowling Green seems to win class 5A about every 3 years and its that time again. I think this redistricting benefited Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic and maybe a few other teams. Time will tell.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Fade
(02-17-2023, 06:56 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

I think Bowling Green after watching the championship game looked like a different animal from the beginning of the season. If Frederick Douglass coached hadn't switched and started blitzing, Bowling Green may have won that game. But thats a matter of opinion.  I have told many people this offseason that 5A looks to be Bowling Greens to lose. Now thats saying if they can makeup the losses to graduation and they seem to always do. Covington Catholic when I look at the record comparing to say Corbin and Boyle looks to be right there, now thats not throwing shade at Bowling Green. Bowling Green seems to win class 5A about every 3 years and its that time again. I think this redistricting benefited Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic and maybe a few other teams. Time will tell.
Time will absolutely tell. It's opinions, that's all. After digging in to it, Bowling Green lost seven starters this off season. They return 15/22. I'd say those are still very favorable numbers knowing the type of feeder that Bowling Green Independent has and their history of reloading.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fade's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Bull got out!

The problem with your logic is that the 2nd round playoff game will be Johnson Central or Ashland more than likely.  You are saying Cov Cath beats them?
(02-17-2023, 07:45 PM)plantmanky Wrote:

The problem with your logic is that the 2nd round playoff game will be Johnson Central or Ashland more than likely.  You are saying Cov Cath beats them?
I don’t believe either one of those schools has defeated Covington Catholic in it’s history. Don’t quote me on that. That being said, I have no idea what either of them return.  Like I said earlier, this post was strictly in reference to last year and how it pertains to who would’ve beat BG. I’m not caught up on whether they would beat JC or Ashland, although I’m sure it would be a good game.
I think CC is a very good team. But to act like they schedule head and shoulders better than anyone that was what my original reply was to.
As I said in my post, everybody deals with the injuries… but also since the comparison’s been made to how CC played Frederick Douglass compared to BC, when BC played them that was about BC’s rock bottom point of the season for injuries. Starting RB moved to QB when Sage got hurt & I don’t think Avery had taken a snap since middle school. Boyle was as battered that game as any all year. Full strength I still think FD wins but BC would have at least competed.

After looking I was wrong on JC. They have beaten them. Apologies
(02-17-2023, 08:22 PM)Fade Wrote:

Dude I was going to leave this alone, but seems like you are trying to rewrite history. Douglas outgained BG by almost 100yds and a halftime score is the most unuseful score in sports but thats really beside the point final score is all that matters 28-7. Boyle beat BG 35-21 @ BG by multiple scores, I will give you credit for the Highlands vs CC game because I watched it. I also watched the FD-CC game and was impressed with CC for the most part. BG QB is a problem but besides that they are just regular (ask STX,) to me so yes I think CC could have beat them.
Johnson Central will probably be favored over Covington Catholic next season if they meet in the playoffs, assuming that both teams manage to remain fairly healthy for the playoffs. CovCath leads the all-time series 4-3 but the Colonels have won the last three.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Hatz
(02-17-2023, 03:50 PM)Hatz Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 11:23 AM)Patriot1 Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 02:13 AM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 11:27 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 
Douglass: 141, BG: 724, Bryan Station: 1026, Henderson Co: 1575, Lex Cath: 1659

Cov Caths top ranked teams:
Elder: 126, Pikeville: 984, Beechwood: 1219, Lex Cath: 1659, Ryle: 2620
True but Cov. Cath also played 3 state champions

Douglass, Bowling Green, and Bryan Station would beat the 1A and 2A state champs that they played.
I would say Pikeville would have put a running clock on 2 out of the 3 plus beat the other one too am I right Jet

The Pikeville team that lost their 2 first games to the 2 best teams on their schedule including one that Boyle would defeat in the Title game.  
Love the humor.   Big Grin

(02-17-2023, 12:54 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 02:13 AM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 11:27 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 
Douglass: 141, BG: 724, Bryan Station: 1026, Henderson Co: 1575, Lex Cath: 1659

Cov Caths top ranked teams:
Elder: 126, Pikeville: 984, Beechwood: 1219, Lex Cath: 1659, Ryle: 2620
True but Cov. Cath also played 3 state champions

Douglass, Bowling Green, and Bryan Station would beat the 1A and 2A state champs that they played.
Agree! ...but Cov. Cath would have went 14-1 also with Boyle's schedule in my opinion.

So you think CC would have handled Bowling Green?  Boyle lost a big lead to Lex Cath and lost by 1.  Cov Cath beat LC by 1.  Oh, yeah.  Then Boyle hammered the Knights 41-21 in the Playoffs.   Big Grin
Don’t get upset Hatz just because my opinion is different from yours but actually I was just trying to get JetPilot flying and let him drop a few bombs because it’s a long off season and he just needs to fly a little
[-] The following 3 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • BEChargers, Big Five-0-, Hatz
(02-17-2023, 07:00 PM)Fade Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 06:56 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Time will absolutely tell. It's opinions, that's all. After digging in to it, Bowling Green lost seven starters this off season. They return 15/22. I'd say those are still very favorable numbers knowing the type of feeder that Bowling Green Independent has and their history of reloading.
I always do my research before I post something stupid- according to there 2 deep roster in the finals they only return 9/22- they return 6 on Offense and 3 on Defense.
Might want to do your math again. There are 7 on offense alone….

Bailey, Huddleston, Barlow, Barber, Fields, Elliott, Sweeney.

I’ll let you count the defense and get back to me.

?
https://khsaa.org/football/2022/5aflipcardweb.pdf
(02-17-2023, 10:38 PM)Fade Wrote: Might want to do your math again. There are 7 on offense alone….

Bailey, Huddleston, Barlow, Barber, Fields, Elliott, Sweeney.

I’ll let you count the defense and get back to me.

?
https://khsaa.org/football/2022/5aflipcardweb.pdf
I Stand corrected they do return 7 on Offense and 4 on Defense- Green, Axson, Newman, Dotson so 11/22
(02-17-2023, 12:58 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: If Pikeville is as dominant as most seem to think, why not move out of a "watered down" 1A, and play up in 2A. Lets be honest, since Beechwood and Mayfield went to 2A, 1A isn't what it used to be. I'm not saying that Pikeville couldn't beat either team, but why not play up where there is competition.

I don't think most people are saying Pikeville is dominant. What is wrong with staying in your class and letting the competition come to you. Still can play teams from all classes like Pikeville does every year...
(02-17-2023, 12:58 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: If Pikeville is as dominant as most seem to think, why not move out of a "watered down" 1A, and play up in 2A. Lets be honest, since Beechwood and Mayfield went to 2A, 1A isn't what it used to be. I'm not saying that Pikeville couldn't beat either team, but why not play up where there is competition.
Why move up if its not necessary? Its not like Pikeville is scheduling cupcakes year in and year out. The schedule speaks for itself and when a school schedules a team in each class, all the way up to 6-A that is a clue where this team wants to be in late November. Btw, there's no doubt in my mind that if Pikeville was in 2-A last season the big boys on the block both Beechwood and Mayfield would have gone down to defeat. Iif you say 1-A is watered down, take a look at 2-A and 3-A, watered down too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • Micro-Brew
I got a better question for you CD, if your team had been in the same watered down 1A over the last 10 years how many titles would your team have won? I bet I can ballpark it for you.
(02-18-2023, 05:55 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

I don't think most people are saying Pikeville is dominant. What is wrong with staying in your class and letting the competition come to you. Still can play teams from all classes like Pikeville does every year...
No doubt Pikeville has been on a roll.  Honestly….I see no need in changing classifications.  Pikeville is playing in their legitimate class.  We all understand 1A isn’t what it used to be….but neither has 3A over the past few years.  Most of the classes have went thru down periods over the past 10-15 years.  At some point Mayfield, Beechwood or a combination of other schools will class down or improve and challenge.   But Pikeville isn’t to blame for the class’s overall poor performance.  They’re just dominant right now.   Give credit where credit is due.  No need in playing up IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Hatz
Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth but I believe Boyle and Corbin both would have beaten Covington by 3 TD’S at seasons end last year once again just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions ?
[-] The following 4 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hatz, Maroon Beech, plantmanky
(02-20-2023, 11:45 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth but I believe Boyle and Corbin both would have beaten Covington by 3 TD’S at seasons end last year once again just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions ?

I will double down you and say both games would be running clock in the 4th Jack.  Cov Cath is not the Cov Cath of old, and is going to struggle to get past the regional playoff game in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(02-17-2023, 09:11 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Dude I was going to leave this alone, but seems like you are trying to rewrite history. Douglas outgained BG by almost 100yds and a halftime score is the most unuseful score in sports but thats really beside the point final score is all that matters 28-7. Boyle beat BG 35-21 @ BG by multiple scores, I will give you credit for the Highlands vs CC game because I watched it. I also watched the FD-CC game and was impressed with CC for the most part. BG QB is a problem but besides that they are just regular (ask STX,) to me so yes I think CC could have beat them.
Out of curiosity, what were you most impressed by? The constant QB keepers up the middle, into the waiting arms of the FD nose guard?

Seriously though, that CC linebacker that signed with Army is the real deal. Aside from that, what impressed you about a CC team unable to cross mid-field against FD?
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2022StateChamp's post:
  • Hatz

Outside of CAL I think Pikeville would have beaten everyone in 1A-3A last season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(02-22-2023, 12:59 AM)2022StateChamp Wrote:

Out of curiosity, what were you most impressed by? The constant QB keepers up the middle, into the waiting arms of the FD nose guard?

Seriously though, that CC linebacker that signed with Army is the real deal. Aside from that, what impressed you about a CC team unable to cross mid-field against FD?
It was more or less their Defense and how well they were coached considering the huge talent gap. They scored first, it stayed 6-0 deep into the second Q. It was 14-6 at the break, which still gave themselves a chance, that's better than most teams can say against FD, and even though they couldn't really move the ball they just didn't seem that intimidated. By the way FD probably had the best biggest/strongest/fastest Defense I have seen in Kentucky HS football other than maybe some of those Trinity teams from like 2010-2015. Yes that #55 for CC was a beast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • Bull got out!
(02-22-2023, 12:41 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

Outside of CAL I think Pikeville would have beaten everyone in 1A-3A last season.
Might agree, but even at that i think the score would have been very close.

Bailey is a good QB, but St.X beat BG like a Cherokee drum this last season. He virtually posed 0 problems for them. If the news recalls, the halftime score of that game was 28-0. FD didn't do any better against them either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Real Badman's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
1A Pikeville/Raceland
2A Beechwood/Mayfield
3A Lexington Catholic/Central/Belfry
4A Boyle County/Corbin/Johnson
5A Bowling Green
6A Male/St X/ Trinity/Douglas

I'm just going by what Pikeville fans have stated on social media, and what a few have stated on here after winning the title by a large margin this year! Numerous Pikeville fans were saying they could have won a championship in all classes outside of 5A and 6A. Those aren't my words, those are your fanbase's words. If you can win in all four classes, why waste time in 1A?

(02-18-2023, 01:52 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I got a better question for you CD, if your team had been in the same watered down 1A over the last 10 years how many titles would your team have won? I bet I can ballpark it for you.
Maybe one or two, if you take Pikeville out of the equation. With Pikeville, probably zero. Breathitt may have given Pikeville a game in 2019, but who knows. Outside of Pikeville, 1A is watered down. Basically you have Hazard, Paintsville, and Raceland. I'm not knocking Pikeville, and as I have said in the past, I don't blame local kids at all for transferring to Pikeville, but with resourced Pikeville has at it's disposal, they should never lose another game in 1A.