Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 too early champion predictions
Question for those of you that have posted Cov Cath in the 4A title game, what leads you to that conclusion, just curious.
(02-15-2023, 01:11 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Question for those of you that have posted Cov Cath in the 4A title game, what leads you to that conclusion, just curious.

Covington Catholic beat Pikeville, Lexington Catholic and looked to play Frederick Douglass about as good as Boyle did last year. I think they are a team to be considered. Why wouldn’t they be?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(02-15-2023, 04:32 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 01:11 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Question for those of you that have posted Cov Cath in the 4A title game, what leads you to that conclusion, just curious.

Covington Catholic beat Pikeville, Lexington Catholic and looked to play Frederick Douglass about as good as Boyle did last year. I think they are a team to be considered. Why wouldn’t they be?
Great response, also played Cincinnati Elder, Ryle and Beechwood, there is not a team in 4A that plays or is willing to schedule the teams they do, I didn't realize how tough there schedule is/was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • Bull got out!
(02-15-2023, 05:33 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Great response, also played Cincinnati Elder, Ryle and Beechwood, there is not a team in 4A that plays or is willing to schedule the teams they do, I didn't realize how tough there schedule is/was.

So let me see if I understand this:  While Boyle isn't playing Elder, then again, Boyle isn't that close a drive to Cincy.  

But 4 A Boyle is playing:  Gibson Southern Indiana who finished last year 10-1.  

Boyle is likewise playing Lex Cath and Frederick Douglas.  

And they have added 5A Scott County.  

Last year Boyle played:  Bryan Station, Lex Cath, Henderson County, Freddie D, and Bowling Green.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hatz's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Jack Lambert
A-Pikeville-May struggle early but still the best team, any Class A team better beat them in 2023
AA-Beechwood-New coach next season but same great program, hopefully a rematch will happen in Lexington
AAA-Belfry-Took their lumps last season but the Pirates are looking very good the next few years
AAAA-Boyle County-Boyle is a machine, hoping for a Corbin/Boyle rematch in Lexington
AAAAA-Bowling Green-Great program that returns a ton of talent from a state runner-up team
AAAAAA-Male-Been so close lately and they are undoubtedly due
(02-15-2023, 06:53 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: A-Pikeville-May struggle early but still the best team, any Class A team better beat them in 2023
AA-Beechwood-New coach next season but same great program, hopefully a rematch will happen in Lexington
AAA-Belfry-Took their lumps last season but the Pirates are looking very good the next few years
AAAA-Boyle County-Boyle is a machine, hoping for a Corbin/Boyle rematch in Lexington
AAAAA-Bowling Green-Great program that returns a ton of talent from a state runner-up team
Humpty you are correct, single A schools better get Pikeville this year because 2024, 2025, and 2026 they will be loaded. If and it’s a big if, they could pull off the 3 peat this year,  then 6 in a row is def on the table. And trust me I’m the most reserved Panther fan there is. No pressure Juniors lol. But guess what, I believe in you and that staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(02-15-2023, 06:53 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: A-Pikeville-May struggle early but still the best team, any Class A team better beat them in 2023
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Bowling Green lost 4 of 5 offensive linemen and 5-6 on defense, yes they have all there skill back but they do not having many returning as some think, and didn't Male beat Scott County 4 yrs ago for the 6A  state title?
  • Bull got out!
(02-15-2023, 08:41 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Bowling Green lost 4 of 5 offensive linemen and 5-6 on defense, yes they have all there skill back but they do not having many returning as some think, and didn't Male beat Scott County 4 yrs ago for the 6A  state title?

I didn’t realize Bowling Green had that heavy of graduation. So 5A might be wide open.
I think Male beat Scott County in the championship game in 2018, they've had a few runner-up finishes since then. That game last year was a classic, had to be tough to be on the losing side. Losing Woo Spencer last season might have been the difference between a state title and not. Playing across the river in Indiana instead of Male his senior season seemed very odd.

I didn't realize the Purples lost so much on the LOS, they obviously have to get some solid play out of the kids replacing the graduated players to reach their goals. I was very impressed with their young QB last season, he is going to be a stud the next few years.
Don’t sleep on JC. One of the top backfields in the state. O-line still mostly intact with the addition of a couple of horses added. Lost 3 defensive players 2 in the secondary and 1 D lineman. Tough couple of scrimmages. Open with Madison Central then Pike County bowl against Pikeville week 2.
(02-15-2023, 09:25 PM)Football Hack Wrote: Don’t sleep on JC. One of the top backfields in the state. O-line still mostly intact with the addition of a couple of horses added. Lost 3 defensive players 2 in the secondary and 1 D lineman. Tough couple of scrimmages. Open with Madison Central then Pike County bowl against Pikeville week 2.

I honestly don’t think anyone would be sleeping on Johnson Central. But It’s Boyles to lose at this point. I think it’s going to be a brawl for who gets to play them. You have Johnson Central no doubt loaded. Corbin loaded. Covington Catholic loaded. Franklin County who is always a tuff Out in the 4th round. That’s my top 5 teams for 4A. JC has a very good chance to go to Kroger Field as anyone. 3rd round is no cupcake for anyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • BEChargers

Cov Cath QB of the future left and took 2 skill kids with him to Ohio, they lost 3 or 4 of the Offensive Linemen to graduation, their Head coach is more than likely leaving, he's interviewing for 2 openings now.  2 of the main assistant coaches are in the running for HC openings.   The talent of Cov Cath isnt the talent of old.  Granted they are in a weak district in 4A and should win that district (Mason Co is probably the only competition for them).
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(02-16-2023, 11:54 AM)plantmanky Wrote:

Cov Cath QB of the future left and took 2 skill kids with him to Ohio, they lost 3 or 4 of the Offensive Linemen to graduation, their Head coach is more than likely leaving, he's interviewing for 2 openings now.  2 of the main assistant coaches are in the running for HC openings.   The talent of Cov Cath isnt the talent of old.  Granted they are in a weak district in 4A and should win that district (Mason Co is probably the only competition for them).

If all that happened, they are in trouble. I’ll agree with you.

Henderson, Bowling Green, Frederick Douglass, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station are a much more difficult schedule than the schedule that Cov Cath put together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(02-16-2023, 04:03 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

Henderson, Bowling Green, Frederick Douglass, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station are a much more difficult schedule than the schedule that Cov Cath put together.

I don’t think anyone would argue with you about that. But respectfully IMO Covington Catholic last year would have competed with the 4A teams if they were in 4A based on the results of last year’s schedule. Now if they lost everything that was mentioned in the off season and possibly the coach to boot, then they might be trending downward.

Cov. Cath had the 3rd hardest schedule in the state last year, behind Trinity and Male, Boyle's was not in the top 10.
  • Bull got out!
(02-16-2023, 04:42 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Cov. Cath had the 3rd hardest schedule in the state last year, behind Trinity and Male, Boyle's was not in the top 10.

Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 
Douglass: 141, BG: 724, Bryan Station: 1026, Henderson Co: 1575, Lex Cath: 1659

Cov Caths top ranked teams:
Elder: 126, Pikeville: 984, Beechwood: 1219, Lex Cath: 1659, Ryle: 2620
[-] The following 2 users Like Waitaminute's post:
  • Hatz, Jack Lambert
Bowling Green may have lost some beef, but I truly don't see anyone in 5A other than Owensboro who will match up with them athletically.

And please don't come at me saying a large county Somerset school or Scott County. The gap is that big.
(02-16-2023, 08:00 PM)Fade Wrote: Bowling Green may have lost some beef, but I truly don't see anyone in 5A other than Owensboro who will match up with them athletically.

And please don't come at me saying a large county Somerset school or Scott County. The gap is that big.
I personally have Bowling Green as the team to beat for 2023 in 5A but Scott County definitely is worthy to make a deep run.
(02-16-2023, 08:00 PM)Fade Wrote: Bowling Green may have lost some beef, but I truly don't see anyone in 5A other than Owensboro who will match up with them athletically.

Since you are getting a little snappy for some reason. Well I'm coming to you like that- I've been to the last 2 scrimmages Scott Co vs. BG and the talent level isn't that big as you say beside the QB- BG talent is at WR and Scott's are in the backfield. Not sure but I think you are basing your opinions on SW beating Scott last year and BG beating up on SW, and that is legit. Scott was up 22-7, at half but those 5th year Seniors just wore Scott's Sophomore's down. I seen somewhere that Scott County has every kid back that scored a point last year that's crazy to think about. so yes I think they can beat anyone in 5A. If you go by athletically as you stated- Boyle Co probably would have zero state titles because most times that I have seen them play in the state finals(besides this year) teams are more athletically than them. I love talking off season football because it's all opinions doesn't mean squat haha ?
  • Bull got out!
I'm going to pick
A-Pikeville
2A-Mayfield
3A-Central
4A-Boyle
5A-FD
6A-St X
(02-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 04:32 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Covington Catholic beat Pikeville, Lexington Catholic and looked to play Frederick Douglass about as good as Boyle did last year. I think they are a team to be considered. Why wouldn’t they be?

Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 

True but Cov. Cath also played 3 state champions

(02-16-2023, 09:45 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm going to pick
A-Pikeville
2A-Mayfield
3A-Central
4A-Boyle
5A-FD
6A-St X
FD was moved to 6A
  • jetpilot
(02-16-2023, 11:27 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 05:33 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: Great response, also played Cincinnati Elder, Ryle and Beechwood, there is not a team in 4A that plays or is willing to schedule the teams they do, I didn't realize how tough there schedule is/was.

Boyles top ranked teams: 

Douglass, Bowling Green, and Bryan Station would beat the 1A and 2A state champs that they played.
[-] The following 2 users Like Waitaminute's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Hatz
(02-17-2023, 02:13 AM)Waitaminute Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 04:03 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Henderson, Bowling Green, Frederick Douglass, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station are a much more difficult schedule than the schedule that Cov Cath put together.

Boyles top ranked teams: 

Douglass, Bowling Green, and Bryan Station would beat the 1A and 2A state champs that they played.
I would say Pikeville would have put a running clock on 2 out of the 3 plus beat the other one too am I right Jet
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-16-2023, 04:03 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Henderson, Bowling Green, Frederick Douglass, Lexington Catholic, and Bryan Station are a much more difficult schedule than the schedule that Cov Cath put together.

Boyles top ranked teams: 

Agree! ...but Cov. Cath would have went 14-1 also with Boyle's schedule in my opinion.
If Pikeville is as dominant as most seem to think, why not move out of a "watered down" 1A, and play up in 2A. Lets be honest, since Beechwood and Mayfield went to 2A, 1A isn't what it used to be. I'm not saying that Pikeville couldn't beat either team, but why not play up where there is competition.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cat Daddy's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Hatz
(02-17-2023, 11:23 AM)Patriot1 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 04:42 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: Cov. Cath had the 3rd hardest schedule in the state last year, behind Trinity and Male, Boyle's was not in the top 10.

Boyles top ranked teams: 

I would say Pikeville would have put a running clock on 2 out of the 3 plus beat the other one too am I right Jet

The Pikeville team that lost their 2 first games to the 2 best teams on their schedule including one that Boyle would defeat in the Title game.  
Love the humor.   Big Grin

(02-17-2023, 12:54 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 04:42 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: Cov. Cath had the 3rd hardest schedule in the state last year, behind Trinity and Male, Boyle's was not in the top 10.

Boyles top ranked teams: 

Agree! ...but Cov. Cath would have went 14-1 also with Boyle's schedule in my opinion.

So you think CC would have handled Bowling Green?  Boyle lost a big lead to Lex Cath and lost by 1.  Cov Cath beat LC by 1.  Oh, yeah.  Then Boyle hammered the Knights 41-21 in the Playoffs.   Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(02-17-2023, 03:50 PM)Hatz Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 11:23 AM)Patriot1 Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 

The Pikeville team that lost their 2 first games to the 2 best teams on their schedule including one that Boyle would defeat in the Title game.  
Love the humor.   Big Grin

(02-17-2023, 12:54 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: Well that number is going to be skewed because teams like anderson and bourbon. I’m assuming you got your data off of Cal Preps. So here’s the top 5 teams from each. So to say “there’s not a team in 4A willing to play or willing to schedule the teams they do” .. I think that’s a false statement. 

Boyles top ranked teams: 

So you think CC would have handled Bowling Green?  Boyle lost a big lead to Lex Cath and lost by 1.  Cov Cath beat LC by 1.  Oh, yeah.  Then Boyle hammered the Knights 41-21 in the Playoffs.   Big Grin
Yes I do think CC would have beat BG, Watched the Boyle- BG game, Boyle dominated them at BG. Boyle beat LC the second time around, CC didn't get a second chance, because they were in 5A so that's a wash.  FD 33 CC 6 @FD: FD 39 Boyle 6 @ Boyle. Not trying to diminish Boyle at all that would be crazy, but I think some are dismissing CC.
Personally I would love to see Pikeville move up to 2A.

I think most years they would compete with Beechwood, LCA, and Mayfield and they would get to put a running clock on Shelby Valley and Pike Central every year in district play.
Everybody deals with it all season I get it but BC lost 2 key players right in the middle of the LexCath game during the first matchup. And still was a false start penalty away from winning it with under a minute left. The truer comparison last season for those 2 teams was the second matchup, in my opinion
[-] The following 2 users Like CC117's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull, Jack Lambert