Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfers
Whoever timed 11 minutes from Pike Central to Pikeville must have been stopped at the Buckley's Creek intersection for atleast 5 minutes.
Transfers....Bump..
Had a parent tell me Woodford county is working hard on snapchat approaching lots of kids in sorrounding areas.
It’s reload season!
Talent Pool Flow...

Every successful program (or school) in the State benefits from it to some extent and any program wanting success tries to tap into it.

You have a pool of eligible athletes within a 30 minute or less drive. Some are in your district, some are not.

People who are ignorant chalk it up to "RECRUITING!!!!!!!!!", but that is not the case at all in the vast majority of instances.

Most transfers are decisions made by families, often at younger ages, and often involving an actual move. Others are reactionary later once it becomes realistic that there is a potential positive gain for the student or player.

- What school/program gives my child the best chance for success?
- What school/program gives my child the opportunity to attend college?
- What school/program gives my child the best opportunity to attend college with a scholarship?
- What school/program gives my child stability and the best chance to grow as person?
- What school/program allows all of this within our financial means and works within our schedules/logistics?

The schools who are best able to position themselves as the option to these questions above will almost always benefit by drawing the talent pool their way. The vast majority of these moves don't even really need an active engagement. Does "RECRUITING!!!!" exist? Unfortunately, of course it does.

What might shock people is I think you see more programs recruit who struggle to answer these questions as well as another school in that talent pool and need to try and overcome that deficit. If schools/programs can draw the talent just by existing on their own passive accord, you see a more active pursuit to try and counter balance and draw the talent to compete. Pike Central comes to mind under John Chapman. Pike Central was pulling kids from outside of the 30 minute radius because they were actively looking to get around the rules and they got caught. Why? Because in their talent pool all the talent was flowing to Belfry and Pikeville.

Someone made a good point above. The answer to powerhouse programs & schools is raising your own water line to be the answer to those questions. When you have more schools/programs in that talent pool capable of being that option then the talent pool flows in more parity. Look at larger school football in Northern KY as a good example. Highlands dominated... DOMINATED... for decades.

Why has Highlands stopped dominating? It is an elite school system, with elite tradition, elite resources, a well developed feeder system in a talent rich area...

1. Their legendary coach retired and with his retirement they have struggled to sustain stability in their program.
2. Other larger NKY schools have risen with solid programs and great academics that logistically are more beneficial. There are more options for great school districts in thriving neighborhoods.
3. Cincinnati area football still continues to be powerful with their own elite schools.
4. Highlands stopped challenging themselves to grow at the feeder level and chose to play exclusively local instead of statewide.
5. Highlands basically capped the number of students in their district and subsequently capped the growth of families moving into Fort Thomas.

In other words, look at those questions I posed... For decades Fort Thomas and Highlands High School was positioned as the best answer for many families in NKY and was a district families fought to move into... now there are other options on almost every question and as a result you have seen the talent pool flow more evenly. Beechwood keeps dominating because they are a smaller school who still have positioned themselves as the best answer for many of these.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • 16thregioner, Bull got out!
For the record, this is EVERYWHERE. Not just Kentucky. EVERYWHERE.

Why do rural County schools almost everywhere in the country struggle? Well it's because their talent pool of 30 minutes basically only covers their own district and as a school they usually are at best a mediocre district because just like football and basketball players, teacher and administrator talent quality also follows this model.

Why does almost every major city only have one or two inner city schools capable of consistently winning while all the other teams struggle? Because even though their talent pool may be massive, they are not positioned based on those questions to be the answer compared to either a private school or the top tier suburban school that can draw from the same pool.

Why are some independent school districts capable of excelling? They have more flexibility to make moves easier and shape their identity as a school or program more easily than a County school.

Why are other independent school districts almost always struggling to compete? The same reasons that benefit some independent schools can also be troublesome for others. If the budget from tax dollars is shrinking or there are too many hands in the cookie jar with no real direction it may prove a worse option than even the County school (Danville vs. Boyle County recently anyone?)
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Bull got out!
Is the hold back still in effect. I had heard it was only for the 2020-2021 school year.
The Kentucky High School Transfer Portal is on fire!
(01-04-2023, 09:45 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: The Kentucky High School Transfer Portal is on fire!

Who’s on the move here in the 13th?
(01-04-2023, 09:45 AM)Grannyshot Wrote: The Kentucky High School Transfer Portal is on fire!
We say this as a joke but wait a few more years when this pay to play takes hold of at the high school level.Big time programs throughout the country with big time player will be moving all over the place for the green!!
(12-17-2022, 06:21 PM)64SUR Wrote: Hearing 6 starters from Corbin is transferring to Williamsburg……….and 2 from Whitley county………..it could be a rumor tho

Heard one maybe coming to Boyle. Haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks, but his dad is a assistant at Corbin. Could just be rumors. Only time will tell.
(12-19-2022, 11:32 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I wonder how this new state law works?
Must not be much to it, because this fall a girl volleyball player left Pikeville and was literally playing for another 15th region team within 2 weeks of transferring. Im 100% there was no move involved and I’m 100% that Pikeville didn’t fight it and probably just released her.
But I thought by the new state law enacted that she would have to sit out a full year no matter about the schools concerns.
But I guess that only applies when someone transfers somewhere that everyone else doesn’t want them to be at? Where’s the transfer police when you need them?
And for what’s it worth I don’t care, I think kids should be able to go wherever the hell they want. Parents decision and just roll with it.  But why enact some kind of law on the first place?
There is a kid that played on Bryan Station's state semi-final game against Bullitt East, that is now on Clark County's basketball team, Has does that work?
(01-04-2023, 04:19 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
We say this as a joke but wait a few more years when this pay to play takes hold of at the high school level.Big time programs throughout the country with big time player will be moving all over the place for the green!!

If pay to play really does take hold at the high school level, then I will be very disappointed.  It has had a negative impact on college sports and has taken away a lot of the joy and interest of watching a group of players develop over years.  I already would rather watch a good high school game than most college games due to the rotating players and “me” attitudes.

I know this can be applied to many topics, but the love of money really does spoil everything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Iggyfan
(01-04-2023, 05:32 PM)True pioneer Wrote:
(12-17-2022, 06:21 PM)64SUR Wrote: Hearing 6 starters from Corbin is transferring to Williamsburg……….and 2 from Whitley county………..it could be a rumor tho

Heard one maybe coming to Boyle. Haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks, but his dad is a assistant at Corbin. Could just be rumors. Only time will tell.
I don't follow Corbin as close as I used to, but I only know of one Corbin coach with a kid old enough for high school football. IF that kid goes to Boyle, he will rewrite the KHSAA record book. IF.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesdeane's post:
  • Playcaller66
I heard Bo Jackson moved into Raceland and his boy will be playing for the Rams
(01-04-2023, 05:32 PM)True pioneer Wrote:

Above mentioned ain’t happening. The Hounds are reloading as we speak. I’m guessing the phrase “ once a Redhound always a Redhound is definitely true. My wife and I were out for a late evening drive yesterday evening and noticed the parents of a ex Corbin player talking and shaking hands with someone we didn’t expect… I’m hoping the kid transfers back to Corbin as he’s a great kid…. Go Hounds…
(12-20-2022, 03:28 PM)wolfcat Wrote: If I were a kid close to Pikeville I would be knocking their door down to come play football. They have it all great coach, great tradition and facilities that some college teams would be envious of.
What 14-18 year old won't want to e in that environment?
How about some loyalty to the place that raised you and understanding that not everywhere has the resources/money to provide the facilities that Pikeville does?
That’s the great thing about this big ol World. Everyone is different. Some want to remain loyal, some would rather win championships, some would rather be the big dog and be a stat monster, some would rather buy into a team type atmosphere, some would rather die as leave their high school friends and some would rather leave their buddies to maybe be in a program that strives to be the best.
No reason to besmirch any kid or their parents for whichever decision they ever choose.
Freedom!!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, BlackcatAlum, DukeBoy, HighViz, Panther Thunder
Can't hold it against a family as long as the transfer complies with the rules in place. The problem is, as with any rule, there are those who abuse it. You have to hope those in charge of enforcement have enough safeguards in place to identify anyone who breaks the rule and then punish them accordingly.
(01-05-2023, 02:58 PM)bobcatpride1 Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 03:28 PM)wolfcat Wrote: If I were a kid close to Pikeville I would be knocking their door down to come play football. They have it all great coach, great tradition and facilities that some college teams would be envious of.
What 14-18 year old won't want to e in that environment?
How about some loyalty to the place that raised you and understanding that not everywhere has the resources/money to provide the facilities that Pikeville does?
I applaud loyalty and encourage loyalty when it can be applied.

With that said: Should loyalty to imaginary lines on google maps or loyalty to where your tax dollars go weigh heavier if it means your child has to settle for less
- In the classroom?
- Where nepotism or "daddy ball" is rampant?
- Where a system and philosophy does not match their skill sets both academically or athletically?
- Where what is taught or practiced does not match your belief system?
- Results in fewer chances for exposure and/or development?

Loyalty is a big deal, but ultimately it is not the only factor when deciding what is the bets situation to ensure the success of our children. I will never fault someone for doing what is best for their kids. With that said, this also makes it harder for me to handle transfers Junior and Senior seasons rather than parents moving or transferring before High School. 

Holdbacks are also a sketchy conversation. In both cases the lines of "what does success for kids" means has a tendency to get blurred between short term glory and long term benefits which is scary.
[-] The following 4 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • Big Five-0-, BlackcatAlum, Bull got out!, Micro-Brew
So is Corbin staying in 4A?
(01-06-2023, 04:25 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: So is Corbin staying in 4A?

Yes
(01-06-2023, 04:31 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 04:25 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: So is Corbin staying in 4A?

Yes

Good makes 4A better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!
Guy Bailey headed to Corbin. I guess the veer wasn’t able to win him over to stay at Somerset.
(01-09-2023, 12:35 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Guy Bailey headed to Corbin. I guess the veer wasn’t able to win him over to stay at Somerset.

Interesting. I'm not familiar enough with Corbin, but will he be the premier back for them next year? Seems like he would have been at Somerset, unless maybe another RB is headed there?
(01-09-2023, 09:34 AM)Shogun Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 12:35 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Guy Bailey headed to Corbin. I guess the veer wasn’t able to win him over to stay at Somerset.

Interesting. I'm not familiar enough with Corbin, but will he be the premier back for them next year? Seems like he would have been at Somerset, unless maybe another RB is headed there?
good back . Hard working kid , turns the ball over often .
Hearing through the grapevine the Dawgs getting some key players
Better watch out with that kind of talk. Transfer Deputy Commodore will be getting his one bullet in his pistol heading your way shortly. Citizens arrest! Citizens arrest!

Somerset is going to run the veer?
Hearing now Jacob and Jerod Smith have been promised a furniture store to run in London to entice them to move back and go to Corbin. Let’s see if they’ll join Treyvon Longmire and Dakota Patterson as the newest pair of four star athletes to lose all their offers from Corbin.