Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfers
What are we hearing about kids possibly Transfering schools
What I’m hearing is it’s goina happen and people will likely bitch about it lmao
[-] The following 4 users Like Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • #GoCougs, Bluecat, FootballFan1999, Jack Lambert
(12-17-2022, 05:09 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: What I’m hearing is it’s goina happen and people will likely bitch about it lmao
Give me the low down
I hear Greenup has about 7 or 8 transferring to Raceland and THEN holding back
Rumor has it if changes aren’t made a bunch of kids will be going back to their original schools in the 13th.
(12-17-2022, 05:14 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: I hear Greenup has about 7 or 8 transferring to Raceland and THEN holding back
Stir that pot Scotty
Not my fault they can’t keep their kids down there
I heard Bo Jackson moved into Raceland and his boy will be playing for the Rams
Hearing 6 starters from Corbin is transferring to Williamsburg……….and 2 from Whitley county………..it could be a rumor tho
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!
Wait ….never mind!! You can’t live in Raceland and play there
As long as Pikeville is in 1a raceland can get all the transfers they want and still loose to the mighty panthers. Pikeville owns 1a period!
(12-17-2022, 05:14 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: I hear Greenup has about 7 or 8 transferring to Raceland and THEN holding back

One of these seasons, the Rams will collect enough 19 year olds from all over Greenup County to compete with those 19 year olds from Pike County.

Going to be hard to do, though, as the population of Greenup County is 35,000 while the population of Pike County is 57,000.
I ain’t bitching about hold backs. We had a ton. But I’d like to know the average age of the 15th region juniors and seniors in programs like Pikeville, JC, LC, Belfry, etc. Reason I ask is there were several games this year that the team we played was seemingly as prepared as they could be in terms of how to defend our offense or attack our defense. This was the first year I have seen us just look “older/more mature”. They just simply didn’t have the man power. That’s been the case for the Rams late in the playoffs and in title games a lot of the times.
(12-18-2022, 01:53 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: I ain’t bitching about hold backs. We had a ton. But I’d like to know the average age of the 15th region juniors and seniors in programs like Pikeville, JC, LC, Belfry, etc. Reason I ask is there were several games this year that the team we played was seemingly as prepared as they could be in terms of how to defend our offense or attack our defense. This was the first year I have seen us just look “older/more mature”. They just simply didn’t have the man power. That’s been the case for the Rams late in the playoffs and in title games a lot of the times.

I agree.  The same principal applies in high school as it does in your first little league draft.  It’s always best to have the oldest team, particularly in boys sports.  I see no fault in making sure every boy in a school exhausts his eligibility with regards to age. 15th region and Ohio teams have been doing it for a long time.  The first time I’ve heard of it en masse in the 16th is with Raceland football and Boyd basketball.  It works and there is nothing wrong with doing it.  It creates some good fodder for meaningless jabs on here, on social media, and gives kids something to write on their signs at football games, but it’s not a bad idea to let kids extend their high school days as long as possible.  The real world isn’t as fun as it promises to be.
To comment on another’s post, it’s a big difference maker for Pikeville, they are in a 3A sized school environment/area and they have really found their stride bc of it. They are on a similar run like Belfry was a few years back. They just keep developing and churning out Legit D1 LBs, RBs, and WRs. Couple that with D2 and major NAIA OL and QBs and it’s hard to compete with that.
Especially in 1A
(12-19-2022, 04:23 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: To comment on another’s post, it’s a big difference maker for Pikeville, they are in a 3A sized school environment/area and they have really found their stride bc of it. They are on a similar run like Belfry was a few years back. They just keep developing and churning out Legit D1 LBs, RBs, and WRs. Couple that with D2 and major NAIA OL and QBs and it’s hard to compete with that.

I don't even know what this means? If they were in a 3A school size environment/area they would be a 3A school?
Pikeville football is great for all the reasons Coach McNamee states at the end of that video posted in this thread. Not because of population trends or geography.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
Raceland has a fantastic program and their coach seems to be a great person and mentor for the kids, not too mention the success on the field speaks for itself and there were years that Raceland would have won Class A with the team the Rams fielded this year. Most realized that the Panthers had a team this season that was one of the most talented Class A teams in a while and as the season played out it became more clear. Having said that, while the Panthers will once again have a talented team they will be replacing some great players and will be closer to the rest of the top 5 in class A as far as talent goes. Raceland will have a legit chance next season to win their first state title and if the Panthers don't get another 3-peat then I hope the Rams win it. 2024 will be Pikeville's year again IMO, it's wide-open next year though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Slic Ric
I heard that Ashland's former basketball coach was recruiting hot and heavy for Ashland. Heard they have a few guys coming over from Marshall and I heard of at least from Ironton. But who knows if this is true.

I also heard that Corbin has hit the recruiting trail really hard as has Pikeville and Perry Central. I heard that all of them increased there recruiting budgets up to 100K and guaranteed jobs to entire families oh and a home and cars

and just so you know that was all non sence on my part. I just wanted to make myself laugh a little
There will be new faces at different places. Nothing anyone can do about it.
Honor
Integrity
Loyalty
Those words are seldomly applied to athletes today. However there are still a few that choose to shun the easy path. To be proud of where they were raised. To stay and represent the community that supports them. To these young men, you are true student athletes, and your character will serve you well in life!!!!!
(12-19-2022, 10:00 PM)Beagle1 Wrote: Honor
Integrity
Loyalty
Those words are seldomly applied to athletes today.  However there are still a few that choose to shun the easy path. To be proud of where they were raised.  To stay and represent the community that supports them.  To these young men,  you are true student athletes, and your character will serve you well in life!!!!!

Wonder if we could get the recruiting coordinators at UPIKE, Jr College and BurgundyOrange Devil Rams to help UK find something in the transfer portal to get their offense out of the quagmire????
I wonder how this new state law works?
Must not be much to it, because this fall a girl volleyball player left Pikeville and was literally playing for another 15th region team within 2 weeks of transferring. Im 100% there was no move involved and I’m 100% that Pikeville didn’t fight it and probably just released her.
But I thought by the new state law enacted that she would have to sit out a full year no matter about the schools concerns.
But I guess that only applies when someone transfers somewhere that everyone else doesn’t want them to be at? Where’s the transfer police when you need them?
And for what’s it worth I don’t care, I think kids should be able to go wherever the hell they want. Parents decision and just roll with it. But why enact some kind of law on the first place?
(12-19-2022, 06:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 04:23 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: To comment on another’s post, it’s a big difference maker for Pikeville, they are in a 3A sized school environment/area and they have really found their stride bc of it. They are on a similar run like Belfry was a few years back. They just keep developing and churning out Legit D1 LBs, RBs, and WRs. Couple that with D2 and major NAIA OL and QBs and it’s hard to compete with that.

I don't even know what this means? If they were in a 3A school size environment/area they would be a 3A school?
Pikeville football is great for all the reasons Coach McNamee states at the end of that video posted in this thread. Not because of population trends or geography.

Bad use of words on my part JP. Pikeville is a 1A school. Their area is nearly 2x the size of Racelands. But enrollment depicts classification not city numbers. Pikeville has a bigger area to pull from, but THEN what they do with development is off the charts. My statement wasn’t meant to be degrading or off putting. Just making a point that Pikeville is the favorite year in and out for a reason. Area resources coupled with player development and you have the machine that is the Panthers right now.
I have to disagree Scotty, Raceland has a bigger draw opportunity than Pikeville. I believe Ashland is bigger than Pikeville and Greenup county is probably more populated than Pike county and then drawing them across the river isn’t a bad thing either. Now I know Pikeville has transfers as a lot of other schools and as much as I hate to agree with Micro brew it to me doesn’t matter I also think that’s the parents call and the young person that transfers. In my days of playing football we had close to if not a hundred players out for football but besides a few conference championships in those days and a few playoff games we never won any state championships. Personally I also believe that making laws to keep parents and young people away from a school they want to attend is wrong whether it be educational reasons or sports reasons. I personally would want my child being at the school he wants to be attending and playing for. I do believe the in the part of some posters have made about loyalty to your school which I was a part of but these days have changed with all the social media and stuff. In the old days of college sports there was no transfer portal and yes even then young people left one school for another but not like in today’s world. I believe in what’s best for the kids is what should be what everyone wants. No matter where they attend school just let them enjoy their life and make memories that will last a lifetime and to me it’s not all about winning (but it would have been nice) championships but what makes them who they are and how to approach life in the future.
[-] The following 2 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Micro-Brew
Pike Co has a population of 57k as of 2021 while Greenup Co has 36k as of the same year. None of this matters though. It’s not about the resources, it’s about what you do with those resources. Raceland and Pikeville both do a great job in that regard. None of my original statements were meant as a slight to Pikeville.

Beagle1 I have to agree with you to an extent….be right back…okay I had to go vomit. Saying that made me sick lol. Anyway, there is something to be said for kids who stay the course and stay put. That being said, even though I commend those kids, and hopefully my kids are one of them, but should they decide they want to go somewhere else and in doing so, puts them at a higher percentage of being successful, it’s a disservice to them to not encourage that. Is it not? Should someone continue working for one company out of loyalty even though another a mile up the road has better benefits and opportunities?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Patriot1
If you look at the whole counties, then Pike outnumbers Greenup 57,000 to 36,000. However, the population around Raceland High School is more concentrated than the population around Pikeville High School. Here are the driving times to each school from surrounding schools. It could be that some are willing to exceed more than 30-some minutes driving time to go to school. For example, I recall when the Lemaster family drove from Paintsville to Ashland for years to go there. I would think, though, that the list below would encompass the majority of the transfer possibilities for both Pikeville and Raceland.

Pikeville
Pike County Central - 11 min
Shelby Valley - 14 min
Betsy Layne - 18 min
East Ridge - 31 min
Prestonsburg - 32 min
Belfry - 34 min
Floyd Central - 36 min

Raceland
Russell - 10 min
Ironton (OH) - 11 min
Fairview - 13 min
Greenup County - 15 min
Coal Grove (OH) - 16 min
Ashland - 20 min
Rock Hill (OH) - 21 min
South Point (OH) - 24 min
Wheelersburg (OH) - 25 min
Boyd County - 28 min
Portsmouth (OH) - 31 min
Symmes Valley (OH) - 32 min
East Carter - 34 min
Spring Valley (WV) - 34 min
Huntington (WV) - 37 min

Now, of course, as others have mentioned, getting players from these schools requires your school becoming the cream of the crop in these areas, something that Pikeville is only challenged on by Belfry, and something that Raceland faces more challengers on in Ironton (OH), Ashland, Wheelersburg (OH), and Spring Valley (WV).
[-] The following 2 users Like 16thregioner's post:
  • Micro-Brew, wolfcat
Awesome post on drive times.
Convenience matters.
Very good breakdown on drive time. This is the type of chatter that interest me. For the love of god let it not turn into the same old bs lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Patriot1
If I were a kid close to Pikeville I would be knocking their door down to come play football. They have it all great coach, great tradition and facilities that some college teams would be envious of.
What 14-18 year old won't want to e in that environment?