Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Somerset job (Open)
(11-30-2022, 05:46 AM)Shogun Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 09:53 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the stronger candidates for the Danville job would be interested in the Somerset job, maybe more interested.

Just my opinion but if I were a coach looking to plant some roots I think Somerset looks like a much better situation. The administration seems to be very dedicated to the athletic programs and it has a decent pipeline of talent and solid feeders. The only real appeal of Danville right now IMO, outside of the history, is that you can walk through the halls at any time and pick out enough talent to win a state championship.
That's a pretty good appeal !!!
There’s talent at Somerset but here’s my thought.

They need someone who’s name, success and attitude makes people want to be there. I can’t speak on the coaching they had as there is a championship in recent years, but they need someone people will believe can help elevate their program. When you have two successful programs in the county that play winning football, you have to give kids a reason to want to be part of the Somerset program.
I'm hearing that Clevenger has applied.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Deuce8
If Clevenger has applied does that immediately make him the front runner
[-] The following 1 user Likes #1catsfan's post:
  • Deuce8
(12-09-2022, 12:32 AM)#1catsfan Wrote: If Clevenger has applied does that immediately make him the front runner

Not at all.
Clevenger would be my pick. Hard nose coach, loves the grind, loves his kids, loves the weight room, and holds kids accountable. Also won championship in 2017, Runner up in 16, should've went in 2015 when the Ads had 2 Tds called back again Newport Central Catholic. He knows how to build a program. Last couple of years he's been coaching at Centre College under one of the best coaches in Andy Frye, so I'm sure Clays even a better coach now. Hire him!! He'll beat the brakes off Danville and I would love to see it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Footballfan33's post:
  • Deuce8
(12-09-2022, 12:32 AM)#1catsfan Wrote: If Clevenger has applied does that immediately make him the front runner

Depends on who else Somerset is pursuing or who else might be interested in the job. I've heard that Somerset has been very aggressive in their pursuit for their next coach, and if some of the names I've heard are true then Clevenger would not be the frontrunner. That said, I think Clevenger would definitely be near the top of the list for them if both parties were interested, and Somerset couldn't do much better IMO. Good coach and seems to be a really good guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Deuce8
Hope Somerset gets this right. Coach Lucas was one of the best coaches to work with in the state. Very genuine and built a very solid program back to a state champion and state contender! Wish the jumpers the best moving forward! Clay is also a class act if he winds up
Being the guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MHSJacketsFan's post:
  • Deuce8
Who all Has Interviewed So Far That we know of
(12-09-2022, 03:27 PM)Footballfan33 Wrote: Clevenger would be my pick. Hard nose coach, loves the grind, loves his kids, loves the weight room, and holds kids accountable. Also won championship in 2017, Runner up in 16, should've went in 2015 when the Ads had 2 Tds called back again Newport Central Catholic. He knows how to build a program. Last couple of years he's been coaching at Centre College under one of the best coaches in Andy Frye, so I'm sure Clays even a better coach now. Hire him!! He'll beat the brakes off Danville and I would love to see it!

Clevenger and Somerset have an interesting history.  Back when he took the Henderson County job, it looked like he was going to be at Somerset.  Jay Cobb had decided to take the Henderson County job himself and it seemed like Clevenger was going to be his replacement.  When Cobb backed out of the Henderson County job, Clevenger was hired instead.  
Then, after the 2009 season, when Coach Lucas led the Jumpers to the 3A State Finals as an interim coach when Cobb resigned right before the season, Clevenger was the pick of the Administration in place. The parents however, wanted to keep Coach Lucas. It ended up working out for everyone as both coaches won rings.  
Perhaps this time Somerset and Clevenger match up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8
That could be a winning combination.
Who is the Leading Candidate as of today
Any ideas? Job is scheduled to go offline this week.
(12-11-2022, 09:07 PM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: Any ideas? Job is scheduled to go offline this week.

Last I heard is there were interviews that would probably not be completed until after school breaks for Christmas.  So I would guess that there are still interviews to be done the week of the 19th.  I have no idea who the frontrunner is.
Any Updates on the search
(12-14-2022, 09:32 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: Any Updates on the search
Like I said before, I was told that there were interviews that couldn't get done until school is out next week.  So nothing new.
Boyle's DC Travis Burns has been thrown around for this job any validity to this rumor

#1catsfan 

The Name travis Burns has been thrown around for this job is their any truths to this rumor
(12-15-2022, 08:36 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: Boyle's DC Travis Burns has been thrown around for this job any validity to this rumor

#1catsfan 

The Name travis Burns has been thrown around for this job is their any truths to this rumor

Spoke with someone in the area about what they are hearing a week or so ago. All that they could confirm was that there were A LOT of applicants for this job. I would bet that most young up and coming coaches in South Central Kentucky would be throwing their name in the hat for this job. Issue is going to be that there are probably a few proven coaches gunning for this job as well.
Twice I have seen a Boyle County assistant mentioned in the thread. Who knows what’s accurate. A couple people in this have said there’s little rush and could be next week. I’m unsure what to expect.

Hard to imagine that if Clevenger applied that his credentials haven’t pushed him to the top.
I have heard from multiple people that Jason Foley is at the top of this list. Very interesting hire, if so. I don't expect a hire next week answering the post above.
Also, I would not be expecting Clevenger in the mix here, wouldn't expect him to have applied. Just going from what I have heard over time as far as he goes.
Big hire for the future of the Somerset program!
(12-16-2022, 10:25 AM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: I have heard from multiple people that Jason Foley is at the top of this list. Very interesting hire, if so. I don't expect a hire next week answering the post above.
Also, I would not be expecting Clevenger in the mix here, wouldn't expect him to have applied. Just going from what I have heard over time as far as he goes.

Why don't you think so? If he's applied for this job multiple times in the past as was stated above, what would be deterring him from doing so this time?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Deuce8
(12-16-2022, 10:25 AM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: I have heard from multiple people that Jason Foley is at the top of this list. Very interesting hire, if so. I don't expect a hire next week answering the post above.

Wouldn't this be a lateral move, at best, for Foley. He's already in the county at a bigger school & having really good success there. I guess maybe the thought would be that a State Championship is more realistic for Somerset in 2A than Southwestern in 5A? I'm not from the area, so I don't know, just looking at it from the outside in.
(12-16-2022, 11:52 AM)#GoCougs Wrote:

Wouldn't this be a lateral move, at best, for Foley.  He's already in the county at a bigger school & having really good success there.  I guess maybe the thought would be that a State Championship is more realistic for Somerset in 2A than Southwestern in 5A? I'm not from the area, so I don't know, just looking at it from the outside in.

I think you hit it exactly. The idea of winning in 2A vs 5A. Although, 5A lost a few powerhouses to 6A now so I'm not sure.
I don't know if the same principal is at SW or not, but that could be a reason to move from SW to Somerset. Support for extracurricular. Made several promises to another coach that used to be there and didn't follow through with hardly any of them.
(12-16-2022, 02:12 PM)BEChargers Wrote: I don't know if the same principal is at SW or not, but that could be a reason to move from SW to Somerset.  Support for extracurricular.  Made several promises to another coach that used to be there and didn't follow through with hardly any of them.

I have heard through the grapevine that Foley's job hasn't been secure at SW since he got there. Maybe there's something to that.
(12-16-2022, 05:22 PM)Shogun Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 02:12 PM)BEChargers Wrote: I don't know if the same principal is at SW or not, but that could be a reason to move from SW to Somerset.  Support for extracurricular.  Made several promises to another coach that used to be there and didn't follow through with hardly any of them.

I have heard through the grapevine that Foley's job hasn't been secure at SW since he got there. Maybe there's something to that.

The County system makes no secret about which school it favors in football.  Take a look at where the superintendent's son plays.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • BEChargers
(12-16-2022, 10:25 AM)IOldBallCoach1 Wrote: I have heard from multiple people that Jason Foley is at the top of this list. Very interesting hire, if so. I don't expect a hire next week answering the post above.

foley is not getting the job
Than who is in the running for this job
(12-18-2022, 07:19 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: Than who is in the running for this job

As I've said before, a lot of the interviews won't be done until this coming week.  I don't have a list of names, but I know that they have several to interview.
Interviews start tomorrow.