Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Somerset job (Open)
When their community suffers such a loss with their coach passing away, it’s hard to start a thread discussing who may be considered. 

I was told and then looked to notice the job is officially posted on the school website so it’s maybe less insensitive to discuss potential suitors for their job. 

I assume they hire from within their staff first? I don’t know what direction they’re leaning but I do think the job is very attractive and could be something that either an established coach or up and coming coach wants to apply for. 

Not many Somerset fans posted during the season. I’m hoping someone down there can give some thoughts about the way the administration might be leaning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreyStoke's post:
  • Bull got out!
Prayers for the community and hopefully they hit a homerun hire! Good luck in the search..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Deuce8
A lot of rumors are swirling around, probably based on a lot of wishful thinking. Just from my observation, I would doubt that they end up going internal on this job, although I'm sure Swearingen will get the opportunity to interview for it if that is his desire.

Only thing I'll say for certain is that on the other site there are some names being thrown around, and every single one of them that has been mentioned I have heard mentioned around town.

Somerset is still in the planning phase of a major indoor multi-sport practice facility and field house project where the current field house sits, something to the tune of ~$8 million was the last I'd heard. This is a job that will certainly attract some suitors statewide I would think, they've got a great administration in place right now that will be willing to invest in success. We'll see how it shakes out. Somerset hasn't had to search for a new head football coach since 1998 so who knows how things will unfold.
(11-29-2022, 04:05 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: A lot of rumors are swirling around, probably based on a lot of wishful thinking. Just from my observation, I would doubt that they end up going internal on this job, although I'm sure Swearingen will get the opportunity to interview for it if that is his desire.

Only thing I'll say for certain is that on the other site there are some names being thrown around, and every single one of them that has been mentioned I have heard mentioned around town.

Somerset is still in the planning phase of a major indoor multi-sport practice facility and field house project where the current field house sits, something to the tune of ~$8 million was the last I'd heard. This is a job that will certainly attract some suitors statewide I would think, they've got a great administration in place right now that will be willing to invest in success. We'll see how it shakes out. Somerset hasn't had to search for a new head football coach since 1998 so who knows how things will unfold.

The new practice facility is on hold. Most likely permanently.   The rise in construction costs did it in.
(11-29-2022, 09:04 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 04:05 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: A lot of rumors are swirling around, probably based on a lot of wishful thinking. Just from my observation, I would doubt that they end up going internal on this job, although I'm sure Swearingen will get the opportunity to interview for it if that is his desire.

The new practice facility is on hold. Most likely permanently.   The rise in construction costs did it in.

Maybe. I was told in the past couple weeks that it was "shelved" but that they still were looking to build it sometime in the not too distant future.
I think there's a strong chance that Somerset takes a look at the South side of town.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Corbin
(11-29-2022, 03:02 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Prayers for the community and hopefully they hit a homerun hire! Good luck in the search..

I love Somerset!!!  Always enjoy going over there.  Hope they continue to build on the success that the previous coach had. I have some great memories of Corbin-Somerset games.  Some great Somerset teams back in the seventies and eighties.
Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the stronger candidates for the Danville job would be interested in the Somerset job, maybe more interested.
Whitley County admin read this post. I've been saying you need an indoor practice facility and new field house. pay attention and keep up with these other schools Smile > This Somerset job would be good for Clevenger or Smith Smile
Hearing Stoney
(11-29-2022, 11:16 PM)BEChargers Wrote: Hearing Stoney

Not what we're hearing in Somerset.  Not even in the top 4.
(11-29-2022, 11:18 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

Who are you hearing? Smile

I've been wrong  before.

I am hearing Somerset's making a big push for Foley.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Walt Longmire
(11-29-2022, 09:53 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the stronger candidates for the Danville job would be interested in the Somerset job, maybe more interested.

Just my opinion but if I were a coach looking to plant some roots I think Somerset looks like a much better situation. The administration seems to be very dedicated to the athletic programs and it has a decent pipeline of talent and solid feeders. The only real appeal of Danville right now IMO, outside of the history, is that you can walk through the halls at any time and pick out enough talent to win a state championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • Danville Blue Devil
Right now there’s no names that surprise me in this thread. But there’s also no names that make me go “whoa”. If the job posting is still in its infancy, there’s a long way to go yet? Maybe.
Would seem premature that a school has a top 4 when the position has been posted for 3 days. With that said, I think there will be a good handful of coaches apply here, maybe taking away from the Danville applicant pool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldBallCoach1's post:
  • GreyStoke
(11-30-2022, 10:16 AM)OldBallCoach1 Wrote: Would seem premature that a school has a top 4 when the position has been posted for 3 days. With that said, I think there will be a good handful of coaches apply here, maybe taking away from the Danville applicant pool.

I'm obviously not the school. But Stonebreaker has not been mentioned anywhere near being a top option.
What are the big names we we are hearing?
It has been shockingly quiet about this job, and the Danville job as well. Surely there is some info out there!
we should start hearing names for danville soon the Advocate Messenger reported the school wants a coach by christmas and which is 3 weeks away
(12-04-2022, 07:05 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: we should start hearing names for danville soon the Advocate Messenger reported the school wants a coach by christmas and which is 3 weeks away

Update on Danville’s search; ??????

(12-05-2022, 01:32 AM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 07:05 PM)#1catsfan Wrote: we should start hearing names for danville soon the Advocate Messenger reported the school wants a coach by christmas and which is 3 weeks away

Update on Danville’s search; ??????

Sorry about that. I see that emojis don’t post. Let me give the update in words. 

Circus tent. Clown car. Clown. Clown. Clown. Clown.
Hearing Boone Goldsmith is meeting at Slim Chickens later today for an unofficial interview.
(12-05-2022, 02:17 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Hearing Boone Goldsmith is meeting at Slim Chickens later today for an unofficial interview.

Why an unofficial interview?
Any Follow ups on the Interview
I can’t see anyone interviewing at Slim Chickens of all places. Not sure that’s how you woo a coach. I’d say that’s just nonsense in a message.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreyStoke's post:
  • Walt Longmire
I don't think this will be done before the holidays.
(12-06-2022, 11:58 PM)GreyStoke Wrote: I can’t see anyone interviewing at Slim Chickens of all places. Not sure that’s how you woo a coach. I’d say that’s just nonsense in a message.
Would White Castle be a better spot?
I wouldn't be shocked if interviews have started, but I don't think it would be public info yet. This is a very intriguing spot.
I will say if there is a First Year Head Coach to hire for a program like Somerset Coach Goldsmith is the guy I have been around his teams for a while know and his offense Is very well run Coach Goldsmith will help somerset in the best way that he can and help with the community
[-] The following 2 users Like #1catsfan's post:
  • BEChargers, Walt Longmire