Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What yearly matchup you would most like to see for your school?
kysportsguru Wrote:These are the games I would Like to see.

Shelby Valley / Pikeville
Belfry / Bell Co.
Belfry/Bell would be a great matchup yearin and yearout. A tough hardnosed game with a defensive struggle to stop the run.

Shelby Valley/Pikeville same as I posted on Pike Central/Pikeville. No need other than a good gate. Pikeville needs tougher non-district games..Valley has never really crossed that line as a legit tough team. They are trying to build a decent program, but will still be in the shadows of basketball.
Sv wanted to play p-vile this year and the panthers dclined their offer
Elwayfan Wrote:There would be no reason, other than a decent gate, for Pikeville to schedule Pike Central or Shelby Valley. Pikeville is in such a weak district they must schedule stronger non-district games to build on that year.

That is an excellent point. While it would be very nice to see Pikeville play the two schools located just down the road from them, I agree that these games would not help the Panthers prepare for the postseason as well as playing a team like Lexington Catholic. With the weak district slate they play each year, Pikeville must schedule some strong competition in their remaining games. While Pike Central and Shelby Valley are both improving, neither would provide the Panthers the same level of competiton as is needed. Hopefully someday, this will be a different story.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would love to see belfry play rockcastle co. that would be nice
Redneck Wrote:I would like to see Paintsville vs. Lawrence. Paintsville vs. Louisa use to be a big game back in the day, they should bring it back.

Johnson Central vs. Belfry every year.
JC vs. Breathitt would be good
JC vs. Russell

I agree with all these games. They would be great $$ for the respective schools, and GREAT competition for the players.
red_devils_rule Wrote:WV is the same class as Ky, Its ohio that is diffrent
No they are not the same. There are only 3 classes in WV. 1A, 2A, and 3A.
Somerset vs. Pikeville, Somerset vs. Corbin, and Somerset vs. Belfry in the playoffs but it will only be this year for that one.
Belfry @ Pikeville (see if its any difference)
Hazard @ Pikeville (always even skills)
I love the Blackcat vs. Pirate game !!!! I heard that Coach Haywood requested a scrimmage this year & was turned down by Coach D. What's up with that? This game has always been a tradition & this year the Blackcats have the team that would have given Belfry a run for their money. Very disappointed in Coach D in letting this one pass by.
Anybody in December.
Blackcat Flash Wrote:I love the Blackcat vs. Pirate game !!!! I heard that Coach Haywood requested a scrimmage this year & was turned down by Coach D. What's up with that? This game has always been a tradition & this year the Blackcats have the team that would have given Belfry a run for their money. Very disappointed in Coach D in letting this one pass by.

Belfry tried to schedule Pburg for a regular season game but was turned down.

This would have been a good game this year, but it wouldn't have been any closer than 14 points in my opinion.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Belfry tried to schedule Pburg for a regular season game but was turned down.

This would have been a good game this year, but it wouldn't have been any closer than 14 points in my opinion.

Bump...sorry I did the wrong thing:confused:
I also would like to see a Valley-Pikeville game.
kysportsguru Wrote:Sv wanted to play p-vile this year and the panthers dclined their offer
What would be the point? Weve already got enough of these types of teams that we have to play in district. We dont need anymore. Im sorry if I upset some folks on here but SV,PC,and East Ridge are just not teams that make you better if you play them. Id love to get to the point to where all these teams are competitive and we could have games with them and feel it would be beneficial to both teams. Im sure the crowds would be there but gate receipts dont help your team come playoff time.
I would like to see Jenkins play Paintsville
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:What would be the point? Weve already got enough of these types of teams that we have to play in district. We dont need anymore. Im sorry if I upset some folks on here but SV,PC,and East Ridge are just not teams that make you better if you play them. Id love to get to the point to where all these teams are competitive and we could have games with them and feel it would be beneficial to both teams. Im sure the crowds would be there but gate receipts dont help your team come playoff time.

Come on now, Valley is better than most of the teams in Pikeville's district. I believe they are better than Paintsville this year (based on their showing against common opponents Pike Central and P-Burg), and significantly better than the rest. Are they as good as Pikeville? No, the Panthers would definitely have to be favored, but Valley would have a shot to spring the upset.

However, I do understand the reasoning why Pikeville would not want to schedule SV. As has been mentioned before, with the new alignment their district slate is very weak, with only Paintsville capable of providing much challenge. Pikeville needs to play teams that are better than them talent-wise, such as LexCath and Belfry, in order to prepare for the latter rounds of the playoffs. And neither Valley or Pike Central would qualify as a step-up in talent.

I would say, though, that it is a shame that Valley and Pikeville haven't played in such a long time. Last time I can remember was SV's first year of existence, 1990. Have they played any other times I don't remember? And have they ever played Pike Central?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Come on now, Valley is better than most of the teams in Pikeville's district. I believe they are better than Paintsville this year (based on their showing against common opponents Pike Central and P-Burg), and significantly better than the rest. Are they as good as Pikeville? No, the Panthers would definitely have to be favored, but Valley would have a shot to spring the upset.

However, I do understand the reasoning why Pikeville would not want to schedule SV. As has been mentioned before, with the new alignment their district slate is very weak, with only Paintsville capable of providing much challenge. Pikeville needs to play teams that are better than them talent-wise, such as LexCath and Belfry, in order to prepare for the latter rounds of the playoffs. And neither Valley or Pike Central would qualify as a step-up in talent.

I would say, though, that it is a shame that Valley and Pikeville haven't played in such a long time. Last time I can remember was SV's first year of existence, 1990. Have they played any other times I don't remember? And have they ever played Pike Central?

SV & Pikeville would be a very good match up. SV should be at the point right now in their program to compete.
Pikeville defenately needs to stay away from teams like LexCath and Belfry year in and year out. This years Lex Cath. team is not as good as they've been in past years but they are still much better than Pikeville can play with.
how about Pville vs Russell?
thunderstruck Wrote:I would like to see Jenkins play Paintsville

This year I would have too, I think it woulda been a **** of a game.
kyrifle Wrote:SV & Pikeville would be a very good match up. SV should be at the point right now in their program to compete.
Pikeville defenately needs to stay away from teams like LexCath and Belfry year in and year out. This years Lex Cath. team is not as good as they've been in past years but they are still much better than Pikeville can play with.

I disagree completely. If Pikeville played in a district with stronger teams, then maybe you would be right, but their district slate is not good enough to adequately prepare them for the latter rounds of the playoffs. They absolutely need to play teams like LexCath and Belfry, which can only make them better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kyrifle Wrote:SV & Pikeville would be a very good match up. SV should be at the point right now in their program to compete.
So I guess your saying that a team should only schedule teams they know they can beat? You cant get any better by blowing out cupcake teams all the time. Our non district schedule WILL pay dividends at this time of year.
I think SV would compete for 1 or 2 quarters...but that's it. I don't think the skill level gap between the two schools is big enough to keep Pikeville from scheduling Valley. It would probably be a high scoring game...good practice for the playoffs.
Belfry vs. Johnson Central
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:So I guess your saying that a team should only schedule teams they know they can beat? You cant get any better by blowing out cupcake teams all the time. Our non district schedule WILL pay dividends at this time of year.
Not at all. Pikeville could schedule a Danville, CovCath or a team like Corbin and be pretty competive and see what they need to work on which would help come play off time.
I just think LexCath year in and year out is just too much of a team for them. Just my opinion.
I'd like to see Highlands play Newport Central Catholic again, Covington Catholic naturally, an Ohio team, a 6A Louisville Team, and Bell County/LexCath/Bowling Green. After those, whoever wants the challenge!!!!!
CakeEater88 Wrote:I'd like to see Highlands play Newport Central Catholic again, Covington Catholic naturally, an Ohio team, a 6A Louisville Team, and Bell County/LexCath/Bowling Green. After those, whoever wants the challenge!!!!!
Loading up with patsies huh? Big Grin
EkyLb Wrote:how about Pville vs Russell?
That's a no win situation for Russell. Just like Raceland. If Russell is gonna pick up a mountain team from Eastern Kentucky I would like to see them play up in class rather than down in class unless the lower team has a winning tradition and a rich history with Russell.

1A- Nobody! No win situation if you win ,.......("well they beat a 1A team big deal") If you lose. ("well they must be terrible a little ole 1A team kicked their butts") This can have a tremendous psychological effect on a football team. I.E. Ashland vs Raceland/Pikeville

2A- Maybe Corbin to start a series rather than just the 1 game last year for the Regional title. Corbin is a superb 2A team and has a winning tradition. I've had the pleasure of living in both of these football rich communities. And the programs are very similar.

3A- Nobody. I repeat, Nobody! Don't want to play someone we'll likely meet in the play-offs. Unless its a team from the west at a bowl game that we would only encounter later in Louisville.

4A- We got that covered. Boyd Co(They have a ton of young former Russell players/coaches out their that give Russell a great match-up because Boyd Co always scouts Russell as good as any team in the state) Greenup Co. City school vs the County school. Bowl Game- Tradition. Lawrence needs to be dropped. They've had problems out there for a few years now and that's just not a good situation until they get that straightened out and they're back to playing smashmouth Bull-dawg football.

5A- We have Ashland. Biggest rivalry in Eastern Ky. 5,000 plus attendance on every occasion. I would like to pick up a game here with maybe Letcher Co Central. Mainly because I wanna see their JumboTron!Smile But the old Whitesburg had a heck of a play-off game against Russell in 1994. WOW what a night.Sad <-Revenge is the key motive here.:p

6A- Simon Kenton is a good game and Russell has a history with them dating back to the 1960's.