Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1A: Who is the Top Dog?
(09-19-2022, 02:17 AM)Hound05 Wrote: ^^^^ haha. Well it’s closer to awful than it is good. I’ll say that.

Also, I’ll also say that I sit down to pee. But only after Mexican or Japanese food.

Haha after eating Mexican food I go up in the hills to take a sh!t and take a rake to put it out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Hound05
That’s a good one. I’ll give you that!! ??
(09-19-2022, 02:12 AM)Hound05 Wrote: I’m sorry, got no dog in the fight, and being objective as possible, specifically, what in the hëll makes racelands schedule tough?
Ashland and Russell are usually two of the best teams on our schedule.  Ashland is just 2 years removed from a 3A state title and Russell is usually decent though not great.  Both of those programs are way down for their standards and that didn’t help our strength of schedule at all.  

Highlands was a good addition this year but after that I agree that our schedule is garbage.  Teams like Rowan and West Carter never help with anything other than stroking the ego.  Schedule padding has been the Rams downfall for several decades now and we always get exposed when we play a good team because we don’t get tested during the regular season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Patriot1
(09-19-2022, 09:20 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 02:12 AM)Hound05 Wrote: I’m sorry, got no dog in the fight, and being objective as possible, specifically, what in the hëll makes racelands schedule tough?
Ashland and Russell are usually two of the best teams on our schedule.  Ashland is just 2 years removed from a 3A state title and Russell is usually decent though not great.  Both of those programs are way down for their standards and that didn’t help our strength of schedule at all.  

Highlands was a good addition this year but after that I agree that our schedule is garbage.  Teams like Rowan and West Carter never help with anything other than stroking the ego.  Schedule padding has been the Rams downfall for several decades now and we always get exposed when we play a good team because we don’t get tested during the regular season.
Blaze…you keep posting things like this and you will be as hated as I am around Raceland message boards hahaha. I started saying these things 15 years ago and nobody wanted to listen. I believe most of the homers have left BGR so you should be safe hahaha
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Orange Blaze

I haven't been to a Raceland game in years so I don't have a "dog in the fight" either.  I'll stand by what I said, for a 1A team it's a tough schedule. Granted, with Ashland being down and Russell not showing up their strength of schedule has taken a hit. Also, going into the season this was supposed to be the year Lawrence County shows up. Not to mention Greenup is much improved this year. If you really want to be "objective as possible" go to the KHSAA website and look at the schedules of about 10-15 random 1A teams and then look at Raceland's schedule. That's what I did just a few minutes ago, so, trying to look at objective data to formulate my subjective opinion, Raceland has a tough schedule (for a 1A team). It's not an elite schedule but I didn't say or imply that....
(09-19-2022, 10:16 AM)i82much Wrote:

I haven't been to a Raceland game in years so I don't have a "dog in the fight" either.  I'll stand by what I said, for a 1A team it's a tough schedule. Granted, with Ashland being down and Russell not showing up their strength of schedule has taken a hit. Also, going into the season this was supposed to be the year Lawrence County shows up. Not to mention Greenup is much improved this year. If you really want to be "objective as possible" go to the KHSAA website and look at the schedules of about 10-15 random 1A teams and then look at Raceland's schedule. That's what I did just a few minutes ago, so, trying to look at objective data to formulate my subjective opinion, Raceland has a tough schedule (for a 1A team). It's not an elite schedule but I didn't say or imply that....
I get what you’re saying but I believe you are basing your opinion on the tradition of Assland and Russell and not the actual teams they are putting on the field. Then look at West Carter who starts 10 freshman. Rowan is never good and when you make a schedule for Raceland you have to account for the horrible district play. Now….I know you can’t do anything about how bad Assland and Russell is but what most of us are saying is Rowan and West doesn’t need to be on the schedule. Greenup should’ve been off the schedule years ago but let’s be honest. The powers that be like beating up on Greenup more then they wanna schedule a competitive game in their place. Raceland’s schedule has been bad for years. I’ve watched good Raceland teams get worse as the season goes do to the lack of competition. I can talk till I’m blue in the face about this. Nobody is gonna change my mind that Raceland has made a mamma papa schedule for years. Hell they do the same thing in baseball!
According to the RPI, Hazard is the Top Dog, followed by Bracken County, Holy Cross, Williamsburg, and Bethlehem. Raceland and Pikeville aren't even in the Top 10 lol.
(09-19-2022, 10:38 AM)Buffs19 Wrote: According to the RPI, Hazard is the Top Dog, followed by Bracken County, Holy Cross, Williamsburg, and Bethlehem.  Raceland and Pikeville aren't even in the Top 10 lol.
Gotta love a computer system that tells you who’s the best haha
No offense to any team, but the RPI is a joke. I used to say it was better than the old system, but I'm not so sure anymore. Hopefully it gets modified in the near future. An upper class team playing and beating a 1A team like Raceland, Pikeville or Hazard should carry more weight than beating a lower-ranked 1A team. Schools need an incentive to play 1A teams or scheduling will be more difficult than it is already.
[-] The following 2 users Like Buffs19's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Patriot1
(09-19-2022, 10:35 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 10:16 AM)i82much Wrote:

I get what you’re saying but I believe you are basing your opinion on the tradition of Assland and Russell and not the actual teams they are putting on the field. Then look at West Carter who starts 10 freshman. Rowan is never good and when you make a schedule for Raceland you have to account for the horrible district play. Now….I know you can’t do anything about how bad Assland and Russell is but what most of us are saying is Rowan and West doesn’t need to be on the schedule. Greenup should’ve been off the schedule years ago but let’s be honest. The powers that be like beating up on Greenup more then they wanna schedule a competitive game in their place. Raceland’s schedule has been bad for years. I’ve watched good Raceland teams get worse as the season goes do to the lack of competition. I can talk till I’m blue in the face about this. Nobody is gonna change my mind that Raceland has made a mamma papa schedule for years. Hell they do the same thing in baseball!

You are correct, they definitely have some easy games on their schedule. No one could argue that replacing these games with Ironton, Johnson Central, etc. would help them down the road. Sometimes scheduling these types of teams is easier said than done because they're trying to schedule up also. Scheduling a tough 1A team doesn't help them much. I don't know and I'm obviously not a Raceland insider and not as knowledgeable about their scheduling history as you are so I do respect your opinion.
People love to hate on the RPI but I can really only think of maybe two state championship games since the RPI started where the two best teams in the state didn't meet in the finals, and isn't that ultimately the goal of the RPI?
(09-19-2022, 02:30 PM)Shogun Wrote: People love to hate on the RPI but I can really only think of maybe two state championship games since the RPI started where the two best teams in the state didn't meet in the finals, and isn't that ultimately the goal of the RPI?
My argument with your statement is Kentucky doesn’t even have enough quality teams in each class to justify a RPI system. The same teams are gonna make it each year in all classes. What the RPI does is make it harder for small schools to schedule larger schools. The larger schools get nothing for scheduling down and it’s going to get harder and harder for small schools to fill out a schedule if you so happen to be a quality smaller smaller school. There’s no difference then playing Berea or Pikeville if you are a 4a school. So which school are you going to schedule?
(09-19-2022, 02:37 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 02:30 PM)Shogun Wrote: People love to hate on the RPI but I can really only think of maybe two state championship games since the RPI started where the two best teams in the state didn't meet in the finals, and isn't that ultimately the goal of the RPI?
My argument with your statement is Kentucky doesn’t even have enough quality teams in each class to justify a RPI system. The same teams are gonna make it each year in all classes. What the RPI does is make it harder for small schools to schedule larger schools. The larger schools get nothing for scheduling down and it’s going to get harder and harder for small schools to fill out a schedule if you so happen to be a quality smaller smaller school. There’s no difference then playing Berea or Pikeville if you are a 4a school. So which school are you going to schedule?
I can see the concern there, but do you really think that is the reality of what's actually happening though? Pikeville has played Covington Catholic and Corbin, Raceland has played Highlands, LCA has played Madison Central, and I don't think in any of those games the bigger schools went into them thinking it was going to be an easy win for their RPI, and vice versa for the smaller schools. Larger schools are still scheduling some of the best smaller schools, and the schools you are describing that might try to game the system in their favor rarely make it far enough in the playoffs to where RPI would be a factor anyways. Sure a better school might occasionally get stuck with a road game to visit a lesser opponent but I still think RPI is a better setup than East v. West. Regardless, week 5 is a little premature to be getting bent out of shape over it.
I have to disagree. Simply bc the RPI wont change a great deal after week 5, unless it actually gets worse Raceland has some bigger schools, but they arent great and could lose at any given time tbh. Pikeville has some bigger teams, but LCA seems to be trending down and even if Pikeville were to beat them, the more LCA loses, the more it hurts the Panthers in the long run. If Pikeville can get wins against LCA and Madison Co, it will go a long way.

Its going to boil down to the 1A-3A poweres or atleast the top 10 are going to be forced to play each other. Which imo, breeds better football than the washed out 6 class system. Because lets be honest, while Pikeville would have likely won a title or two the last 10 years in this classification, they wouldnt have had the run they have had. While Raceland, Hazard, and Williamsburg likely wouldnt have made it to the carpet in the first place. Nor would Paintsville, KCD, or Russellville.

I like the RPI for one reason. It was an attempt to make things better. Now they just need to tweak it a bit. The last couple of years with the RPI has done a fair job at getting the best two remaining teams in the title. That being said, if it doesnt work out this year, we can all refer back to this thread. If it does work out, i will eat my crow. But somebody thats playing damn good ball in november is going to end up on a 4 hour bus rude to play someone they will beat like a drum...that much is likely a given.
Bump
As bad as I hate to say it. After seeing Pikeville and BOTH teams are solid. Pikeville has some nice pieces but no where as close as dominant as some of the Pikeville teams in the past years. I believe this is Racelands year.
(09-20-2022, 01:57 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: As bad as I hate to say it. After seeing Pikeville and BOTH teams are solid. Pikeville has some nice pieces but no where as close as dominant as some of the Pikeville teams in the past years. I believe this is Racelands year.

36-0 running clock on Paintsville's field is as about as dominant as past years. 48-13 over Belfry is more dominant than past years. Close losses to #5 and #10 team overall in the first to games before they got their offense decided on strengthens the case for 1A.
(09-20-2022, 01:57 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: As bad as I hate to say it. After seeing Pikeville and BOTH teams are solid. Pikeville has some nice pieces but no where as close as dominant as some of the Pikeville teams in the past years. I believe this is Racelands year.

36-0 running clock on Paintsville's field is as about as dominant as past years. 48-13 over Belfry is more dominant than past years. Close losses to #5 and #10 team overall in the first two games before they got their offense decided on strengthens the case for 1A.

http://calpreps.com/2022/ratings/Kentucky_all.htm
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
The only weaker aspect I see with Pikeville this year is the QB play, even with Duty playing well, isnt as strong as a 2-3 year starter they have had in the past and the OL, while still huge, doesnt seem as mobile as in years past. That being said, i think they have more balance across the skill positions than they have had in the past.

The difference in This years Raceland team and any other year is the competitive grit they seem to have. We are more mature as well. Pikeville is still the te to beat. But i dont see a game with Raceland and Pikeville being anything but a damn good football game.

Sidenote, Hazard looks HUGE across the board lol
(09-20-2022, 02:21 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: The only weaker aspect I see with Pikeville this year is the QB play, even with Duty playing well, isnt as strong as a 2-3 year starter they have had in the past and the OL, while still huge, doesnt seem as mobile as in years past. That being said, i think they have more balance across the skill positions than they have had in the past.

The difference in This years Raceland team and any other year is the competitive grit they seem to have. We are more mature as well. Pikeville is still the te to beat. But i dont see a game with Raceland and Pikeville being anything but a damn good football game.

Sidenote, Hazard looks HUGE across the board lol

Duty 13-15 183 yards 2 TDs 0 INT vs Paintsville
Duty  9-11  200 yards 2 TDs 0 INT vs Belfry
 so 22-26 383 yards 4 TDs 0 INT since full-time starting QB and he is just getting going.

Kid is GOOD.

Edit: Pikeville went undefeated and won the title game 43-0 in I MacNamee's 1st year starting at QB as a Soph...