Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
14 region preseason Top 5 Teams,coaches, Players
Terry of Owsley. Couch and Whitt of LCC, Banks of Wolfe
(10-16-2022, 08:07 PM)IDukeBoy Wrote: I think Owsley will be really good but will be a lot easier to defend without the long lefty Lexy Lynch.  Hard to stop a good lefty.  Especially in the 14th. 

I think we will see a Leslie vs Perry region final this year.  Owsley, Letcher, Knott could upset Leslie or Perry.  Should be a great season of girls BBall.
I’ll be the first to admit that summer ball means absolutely nothing in what will develop and play out when the real games get started in December through March, but with that being said, Owsley defeated two of the teams you mention in your post this summer,  Leslie and Knott. Actually, they didn’t lose a summer game to any 14th region teams they played, which also included Hazard, Wolfe, Buckhorn, and Breathitt.
Couch at Letcher is a Top 5 player easily. Kid is solid. Can’t believe I forgot about her. Whitt is a very strong/physical guard to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-18-2022, 11:15 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Couch at Letcher is a Top 5 player easily.  Kid is solid.  Can’t believe I forgot about her.  Whitt is a very strong/physical guard to.
Yes, both are very good players. I hate to recall the moment in time but Couch is the player that hit the come from behind winning overtime basket in the regional championship last year. 
I like the way her and Witt both play, with intensity and confidence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • DukeBoy
You got that right, them girls bring it every game.
I think kids on both ends of the region kinda gets left out. The focus has always been around the 54th district. Couch is definitely one of the top players.
Probably where Hazard is the Big City of the Region and it’s in the 54th. Lol. Place is huge.
Catspause is out with its annual UK and high school preview magazine.

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

1 Courtney Hoskins, Leslie, Sr
2 Abby Maggard, Hazard, Sr
3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
4 Keira Couch, Letcher, Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr
6 Kiley Gayheart, Perry, Jr
7 Jaylen Whitt, Letcher, Jr
8 Presley Fletcher, Knott, Jr
9 Mykyra Caudill, Powell, Jr
10 Emma Napier, Leslie, Sr

I believe Gayheart went back to Knott but was probably too late for this edition to correct.

I personally don’t see how Owsley’s Addie Terry isn’t a top 10 preseason choice based on her contributions to the Lady Owls last season. The freshman is a very good player.
(10-18-2022, 09:16 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Catspause is out with its annual UK and high school preview magazine.

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

I believe Gayheart went back to Knott but was probably too late for this edition to correct.

I personally don’t see how Owsley’s Addie Terry isn’t a top 10 preseason choice based on her contributions to the Lady Owls last season. The freshman is a very good player.
How in world Caudill and Gayheart not in top 5 is a mystery to me. No disrespect to the top 5 but in my opinion they are 2 of the best in region. No way Caudill should be that far down the list. Unbelievable!
(10-18-2022, 09:16 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Catspause is out with its annual UK and high school preview magazine.

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

Who would you replace with Terry then?

(10-18-2022, 09:57 PM)WWW Wrote:

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

How in world Caudill and Gayheart not in top 5 is a mystery to me. No disrespect to the top 5 but in my opinion they are 2 of the best in region. No way Caudill should be that far down the list. Unbelievable!
Which two players are you gonna take out of the top 5 in order to make room Caudill and Gayheart?
I honestly doubt they did a Power Rating on the players. Probably just said these are the Top 10. No particular order.
(10-19-2022, 06:52 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote:

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

Which two players are you gonna take out of the top 5 in order to make room Caudill and Gayheart?
Couch and Neach

Estill Hazard Wolf and Brethitt is not better than Powell either. This may be the weakest Estill team in years. Hazard only has Maggard. Wolf will be pretty good. Brethitt will be weak aswell. I think Wolf Powell and Knott are about equal after your top 4 teams

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

With list like these there’s very little difference between the top 5 and 6-10. With that said I would place Caudill and Gayheart somewhere in the 6-10 area. Both are very good point guards with quickness, scoring ability and talent. 
I personally think the best all around player in the region that scores, handles the ball, can create, and makes everyone around her better, is Carly Smith. And I won’t choose a player to remove from this list because these young ladies most likely get on BGR and read these type posts and I wouldn’t want to hurt feelings on an open discussion board discussing high school age kids, but someway/somehow Addison Terry is a top 10 regional player and should be on the list. Although the guard is only a freshman she started all last year and was the third leading scorer and second leading rebounder for Owsley behind Lexy Lynch and Carly Smith. She had a great summer of basketball and will be a big factor in Owsley’s chances at a regional title this year.
(10-19-2022, 09:48 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

With list like these there’s very little difference between the top 5 and 6-10. With that said I would place Caudill and Gayheart somewhere in the 6-10 area. Both are very good point guards with quickness, scoring ability and talent. 
I personally think the best all around player in the region that scores, handles the ball, can create, and makes everyone around her better, is Carly Smith. And I won’t choose a player to remove from this list because these young ladies most likely get on BGR and read these type posts and I wouldn’t want to hurt feelings on an open discussion board discussing high school age kids, but someway/somehow Addison Terry is a top 10 regional player and should be on the list. Although the guard is only a freshman she started all last year and was the third leading scorer and second leading rebounder for Owsley behind Lexy Lynch and Carly Smith. She had a great summer of basketball and will be a big factor in Owsley’s chances at a regional title this year.
Terry is absolutely a top 10 player. I totally agree. I disagree with ya on Caudill and Gayheart 6-10 but that’s what makes this page fun. All these girls are very talented. I think the McAlarnis girl is top 10 aswell
[-] The following 1 user Likes WWW's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-19-2022, 09:58 AM)WWW Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 09:48 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

The top 10:

1 Leslie
2 Perry
3 Letcher
4 Owsley
5 Knott
6 Estill
7 Hazard
8 Wolfe
9 Breathitt
10 Powell

Players:

3 Carly Smith, Owsley Jr
5 Emily Neace, Perry, Jr

Terry is absolutely a top 10 player. I totally agree. I disagree with ya on Caudill and Gayheart 6-10 but that’s what makes this page fun. All these girls are very talented. I think the McAlarnis girl is top 10 aswell
Yep, I'm not saying that I disagree with either of you, was just curious on who on that list you do not consider a top ten talent. 

I will disagree with you on the best player in the region. I think Hoskins from Leslie is the best player in the region. No disrespect to Carly Smith at all as she is a phenomenal ball player. Hoskins was top 50 in the state last year in scoring and I look for that to increase this year since Bowling graduated. Hoskins is also a good defender, passer, and has a high basketball IQ.
Whitt Fletcher and Napier not top 10 in my opinion. Couch would be 10 in my opinion. Post players are not ask to do as much as a PG or guard.
All the girls on the list are major contributors to their teams. It’s not all about their stats, it’s more about making everyone else around them better and that’s what I see in all those mentioned. The key to be the absolute best is being consistent night in night out against quality opponents. You could make Gayheart #1 one week, Hoskins #1 the next, Neace the next. All the kids are all really good. All them are very competitive from what I have saw. Hard to rank them in any particular order. Guess you would have to go by who wins the most and against good competition.
Wolfe will be much better than 8th in the region with the addition of Bailey Wright(3 year starter @ Lee) and the Noble twins(top young post player in region and a guard that has a ton of potential). Coach Brown will have 7 players that can play against anyone. I look for them to be a major threat by the end of the year. Wolfe returns for girls that all averaged double figures basically and played every minute of the season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reds#1Fan's post:
  • DukeBoy, WWW
(10-19-2022, 12:09 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Wolfe will be much better than 8th in the region with the addition of Bailey Wright(3 year starter @ Lee) and the Noble twins(top young post player in region and a guard that has a ton of potential). Coach Brown will have 7 players that can play against anyone. I look for them to be a major threat by the end of the year. Wolfe returns for girls that all averaged double figures basically and played every minute of the season.
I agree! Miller kid is a top 10 player aswell in my opinion.
(10-19-2022, 12:09 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Wolfe will be much better than 8th in the region with the addition of Bailey Wright(3 year starter @ Lee) and the Noble twins(top young post player in region and a guard that has a ton of potential). Coach Brown will have 7 players that can play against anyone. I look for them to be a major threat by the end of the year. Wolfe returns for girls that all averaged double figures basically and played every minute of the season.

Wolfe will be much improved with those additions.  But the best young post player in region is 6-2 8th grader Macey Brown at Owsley. Isn’t even close.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Streetoutlaw's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
Big Jackie Amis 6’2 7th grader from Perry will give her all she wants and then some if they ever play. Amis is a big nimble kid that’s very fundamentally sound with good touch. I will say this though, Brown is a fine player. Her and Amis will be a great matchup.
(10-19-2022, 11:22 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: All the girls on the list are major contributors to their teams.  It’s not all about their stats, it’s more about making everyone else around them better and that’s what I see in all those mentioned.  The key to be the absolute best is being consistent night in night out against quality opponents.  You could make Gayheart #1 one week, Hoskins #1 the next, Neace the next.  All the kids are all really good.  All them are very competitive from what I have saw.  Hard to rank them in any particular order.  Guess you would have to go by who wins the most and against good competition.
“You could make Gayheart #1 one week, Hoskins #1 the next, Neace #1 the next, and Smith # 1 the next.”

Fixed it for you. Lol. 

Just kidding around with you DukeBoy, but I definitely think Carly Smith is part of the #1 Player discussion. She has already amassed nearly 1400 points for her career with 2 years to go. She is a great 3 point shooter, great ball handler and passer, and good at getting to the rim or drawing fouls, which she converts at a high percentage.  And she is non-stop on defense. She’s a team leader and can be heard shouting out screens or keeping the other players focused on both ends of the floor.
I think when the season ends in the spring she is going to be 100% in the discussion as the region’s best player.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • DukeBoy, TheStickyBandit
Carly is one of the top players no doubt.
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-20-2022, 10:39 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 11:22 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: All the girls on the list are major contributors to their teams.  It’s not all about their stats, it’s more about making everyone else around them better and that’s what I see in all those mentioned.  The key to be the absolute best is being consistent night in night out against quality opponents.  You could make Gayheart #1 one week, Hoskins #1 the next, Neace the next.  All the kids are all really good.  All them are very competitive from what I have saw.  Hard to rank them in any particular order.  Guess you would have to go by who wins the most and against good competition.
“You could make Gayheart #1 one week, Hoskins #1 the next, Neace #1 the next, and Smith # 1 the next.”

Fixed it for you. Lol. 

Just kidding around with you DukeBoy, but I definitely think Carly Smith is part of the #1 Player discussion. She has already amassed nearly 1400 points for her career with 2 years to go. She is a great 3 point shooter, great ball handler and passer, and good at getting to the rim or drawing fouls, which she converts at a high percentage.  And she is non-stop on defense. She’s a team leader and can be heard shouting out screens or keeping the other players focused on both ends of the floor.
I think when the season ends in the spring she is going to be 100% in the discussion as the region’s best player.
Smith Caudill Gayheart Hoskins and Maggard is best players in region. One of those 5 will be POY for the next 2 seasons.
  • LOOKAYANNER
Opinions Vary WWW

Best 5 to me.

1. Neace - PCC
2. Couch - LCC
3. Hoskins- Leslie
4. Smith - Owsley
5. Maggard - Hazard

No disrespect to any kid not on my Top 5.
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-20-2022, 08:02 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Opinions Vary WWW

Best 5 to me.

1.  Neace - PCC
2.  Couch - LCC
3.  Hoskins- Leslie
4.  Smith - Owsley
5.  Maggard - Hazard

No disrespect to any kid not on my Top 5.
That’s the beauty of it Dukeboy everyone has their own opinion.
  • LOOKAYANNER