Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
14 region preseason Top 5 Teams,coaches, Players
DukeBoy the only 3 Legit Coaches to ever coach in the 14th Region were Randy Napier, Dickie Adams, and Bill Fannin. None of the current coaches have won a game at the state tournament. Start winning some games at the Show and I will say this one or that is great coach. Got to stop making excuses about the school sizes. Maybe 14th region players just dont do what it takes to get better than the kids in the other regions. Only got to put 5 out there at a time in basketball
basketball. I dont think the school size matters that much.
(08-13-2022, 01:41 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: DukeBoy the only 3 Legit Coaches to ever coach in the 14th Region were Randy Napier, Dickie Adams, and Bill Fannin.  None of the current coaches have won a game at the state tournament. Start winning some games at the Show and I will say this one or that is great coach.  Got to stop making excuses about the school sizes.  Maybe 14th region players just dont do what it takes to get better than the kids in the other regions.  Only got to put 5 out there at a time in basketball
basketball.  I dont think the school size matters that much.
I disagree. School sizes matters a lot. Check the sizes of the schools at the state tournament. Unless they are a private school that collects players from a wide area or a school that has some quality transfers then most of the Sweet 16 schools are 1000-2000+ in enrollment. It only makes sense that if a coach is at a school with 1500 enrollment that gives access to a pool of girls of 750 that leads to an advantage over a school with 300 total and a girl amount of 150 to mold a team from. This old “You gotta work harder and coach em up” or “stop making excuses” is nonsense. Small schools may have a few studs but the larger schools have a better chance of having more Thorobreds and quality depth. 
Occasionally we have our Milan, Indiana stories, or in recent years Paintsville and Shelby Valley, but it’s very rare. 
That being said I still love the no class Sweet 16 the way Kentucky does it. I’m happy with the All A Classic tournament for the small schools, and who knows periodically one of them wins the Big Show. Hazard’s girls won both All A state and KHSAA state in the same year about 25 years ago, so it does happen. But the odds are against it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Justthefacts1
Most problems in the 14th is most of the people here want INSTANT SUCCESS. Just don’t happen that way. Starts at such a very young age. 1000s of games and learning how to become a TEAM. To many Stat Hunters in the 14th. All we really remember are the winners. Not many people care that a kid averaged 50 a game and played on a losing team. Every time a parent gets butt hurt over a game they either transfer their kid or make a rude Facebook post about the kids coaches. There’s so much competition out there. People need to work really hard and strive to get better. Appreciate what they have and build on it. Like your post Lookyanner. You make some valid points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
Lol school size has a lot to do with it. Hazard won the State with Breathitt County’s best player in Charlotte Sizemore, MC Napier had a recruit or 2 on there championship team. Without recruiting small schools only have so many girls to choose from. I don’t think it’s fair to say a school with 400-500 girls doesn’t have a better chance of finding 5 girls to play. Also getting to the state tournament and winning doesn’t make you a great coach. I’ve watched a lot of games at the state tournament and seen several coaches that got there because they had a lot more talent than most teams. The Jimmy’s and Joe’s are a lot more important than the X’s and O’s.
(08-13-2022, 07:18 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Lol school size has a lot to do with it. Hazard won the State with Breathitt County’s best player in Charlotte Sizemore, MC Napier had a recruit or 2 on there championship team. Without recruiting small schools only have so many girls to choose from. I don’t think it’s fair to say a school with 400-500 girls doesn’t have a better chance of finding 5 girls to play. Also getting to the state tournament and winning doesn’t make you a great coach. I’ve watched a lot of games at the state tournament and seen several coaches that got there because they had a lot more talent than most teams. The Jimmy’s and Joe’s are a lot more important than the X’s and O’s.
You’re right on target RedsFan. I pretty much said the same thing in my earlier post.
[-] The following 2 users Like LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Bulldogs4Ever, Justthefacts1
I think you have to be a pretty good coach in order to get to state and especially win some games to advance. It does take talent to prevail but you have to be able to coach talent and take care of egos. Winning at the show takes excellent coaches and the teams that advance usually have that. Not quite as hard to win in the 14th because all the schools are relatively small and don’t have a lot to choose from. But Redfans I agree with you. I can see what you mean in your post.
I know it’s a long ways away but here’s how I rate the region.

1. Perry- If Gayheart is there.
2. Leslie
3. LCC
4. Owsley
5. Not sure about this one.
Summer basketball is not always a good indicator of how the season will shake out but this summer Owsley County did not lose a game to any regional teams they played. They defeated Knott, Leslie, Hazard, Wolfe (twice), Buckhorn (twice) and Breathitt. They defeated out of region teams Whitley Co, Clay Co, and Greenup Co.
Lost at Floyd Central by 4, lost at Prestonsburg in OT, lost to Jackson Co by 2 at Corbin after leading for 95% of the game, lost to Pulaski Co by 7, and lost three times to 13th region champ Corbin by 7, 9 and 12. The only team that beat them handily was Bell Co at Corbin where the Lady Cats won by over 20.
I don’t know where the team ranks in the upcoming season in the 14th region but they return 4 starters and looked pretty darn good this summer.
(08-13-2022, 01:41 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: DukeBoy the only 3 Legit Coaches to ever coach in the 14th Region were Randy Napier, Dickie Adams, and Bill Fannin.  None of the current coaches have won a game at the state tournament. Start winning some games at the Show and I will say this one or that is great coach.  Got to stop making excuses about the school sizes.  Maybe 14th region players just dont do what it takes to get better than the kids in the other regions.  Only got to put 5 out there at a time in basketball
basketball.  I dont think the school size matters that much.
Breathitt County won a game at the state tournament under Peggy Gay Moore. I think it was 2008. And it was a long time ago but Breathitt County was runner-up in the state tournament when Irene Moore played there and was Miss Basketball in 1978. Joyce Mayes was their coach. 
To be a legit coach doesn’t require winning a game at the state tournament, though. There’s a lot of great coaches that’s never done that. It’s very difficult to do and the bracket draw has to be favorable. Most mountain schools don’t get past the first round of the state tournament in girls or boys basketball in most years. It’s a rarity when they do, and if they do they usually go out in the second round. Clay County, Paintsviile and Shelby Valley’s boys were an exception as was MC Napier and Hazard’s girls. And Pikeville’s boys last year did well at Rupp.
I think from what I been hearing I'd put Gary Browns lady Wolves in number 5 Dukeboy?
Fine by me Turnover. I’m sure Noble girls will help a lot.
(08-15-2022, 12:33 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I know it’s a long ways away but here’s how I rate the region. 

1.  Perry- If Gayheart is there.
2.  Leslie
3.  LCC
4.  Owsley
5.  Not sure about this one.
1. Leslie 
2.Perry
3. Owsley 
4. LLC
5. Powell

I think Leslie is alone at the top of the region this year. Plus the regionals will be held there. Owsley and Perry just behind them. I think Perry can be really good if Gayheart stays and if the chemistry is there. Owsley is always gonna be in the mix. Travis Smith is one of the top coaches in the region. Carly Smith is one of the top players in region the last few years. After those 3 teams it’s kinda a toss up in my opinion. LLC is always good! Couch will be one of top players in region this year. Powell has some returning starters with a good mix of young players. Caudill will be a major player in region. Wolf could be top 3 by seasons end with a good core of veterans. I wouldn’t rule out Hazard in the mix aswell with the players they have added. This could be one of the most competitive seasons we have seen in many years
Leslie will have a really hard time replacing the left handed kid that graduated. Can’t remember name right off but she was very talented and competitive. Can’t be on top without her very easily.
(08-18-2022, 12:28 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Leslie will have a really hard time replacing the left handed kid that graduated. Can’t remember name right off but she was very talented and competitive.  Can’t be on top without her very easily.
Bowling kid, yes she was good player. They return probably preseason POY in Hoskins. Two of the best bigs in region and the return of Napier at guard. Two good roll players off the bench, so I would say future looks bright for them. Not to mention Sparks who is one of the best. Owsley could give them a run for their money by tournament time. If Perry can find a way to make everyone happy they could be a team that could beat Leslie in tournament
[-] The following 1 user Likes WWW's post:
  • DukeBoy
(08-20-2022, 07:03 AM)WWW Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 12:28 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Leslie will have a really hard time replacing the left handed kid that graduated. Can’t remember name right off but she was very talented and competitive.  Can’t be on top without her very easily.
Bowling kid, yes she was good player. They return probably preseason POY in Hoskins. Two of the best bigs in region and the return of Napier at guard. Two good roll players off the bench, so I would say future looks bright for them. Not to mention Sparks who is one of the best. Owsley could give them a run for their money by tournament time. If Perry can find a way to make everyone happy they could be a team that could beat Leslie in tournament
I don’t know if Leslie had all their players (Owsley had 2 out) but the Lady Owls beat them this summer, I think around 10 points. 
Of course summer ball doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things when the season starts. Coaches are experimenting with different lineups and as mentioned sometimes all players are available. 
Leslie will definitely be good this year. They have most their team back from last season.
A small school with a good coach recruits itself Easier to get away from politics
This will be the most competitive season in many years. There at least 7 teams that could compete.
My Top 5
1. Leslie- this group has to find a way to win big games they have a ton of talent
2. Perry- Pressure is on with the whole team coming back
3. Owsley- the 2 new additions help the lose of Lynch
4. Letcher- coach Baker always has his team ready 
5. Knott- new coach will have to replace Maggard's scoring

Wolfe is the team no one will want to play come tournament time. It will take Coach Brown some time to gel everything together but he has a very dangerous roster this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reds#1Fan's post:
  • TheStickyBandit
You read my mind Reds fan. Couldn’t said it any better.
Didn't John High coach in 14 th. region.
Coach High was at Whitesburg a long time.
(10-07-2022, 02:15 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Coach High was at Whitesburg a long time.
He also coached at Breathitt County for a few years following his Whitesburg days. 

One thing I remember about John High is he would beat teams as bad as possible. He had very good teams that for several years were State contenders, and he had most region teams outclassed from the tip. It didn’t matter if they had only 6 players he would play his starters for 90% of the game and press. If the final score was 120-20 so be it.
He was a heck of a good coach but that running up the score mentality was the one area of his coaching that left many people shaking their heads.
Coach Smith has done a great job at Owsley.
(10-10-2022, 11:37 AM)BaseballPirate Wrote: Coach Smith has done a great job at Owsley.
In my opinion he’s one of the best in the business.
Coach Smith is a real good coach. Got to agree.
(06-10-2022, 12:32 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Neace is a better all around player than the four JRs you mentioned.  She’s does more for her team.  To me that’s how you base a player on.  Neace does more than just score or just jack up threes.  Plays both sides of the floor.  Don’t get me wrong the 4JRs you mentioned are excellent players.  But I’d rather have the Neace girl from Perry.  Hoskins is a  good choice for POY.  Girl can play.
If you’re talking strictly junior class I would have to rate Owsley’s Carly Smith at the top of that list. She is the best all around guard in the region in shooting, passing dribbling and is a very good defender. And a very smart player. I’ve seen her over the summer and she has added some muscle and quickness. 
She would also be in the running for the region POY as well. She already has over 1300 career points with 2 years remaining of eligibility.
(10-15-2022, 11:20 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 12:32 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Neace is a better all around player than the four JRs you mentioned.  She’s does more for her team.  To me that’s how you base a player on.  Neace does more than just score or just jack up threes.  Plays both sides of the floor.  Don’t get me wrong the 4JRs you mentioned are excellent players.  But I’d rather have the Neace girl from Perry.  Hoskins is a  good choice for POY.  Girl can play.
If you’re talking strictly junior class I would have to rate Owsley’s Carly Smith at the top of that list. She is the best all around guard in the region in shooting, passing dribbling and is a very good defender. And a very smart player. I’ve seen her over the summer and she has added some muscle and quickness. 
She would also be in the running for the region POY as well. She already has over 1300 career points with 2 years remaining of eligibility.
I should have added to the above post that most of the POY awards are reserved for seniors, such as the KHSAA one that hands out their awards at the state tournament, and a junior isn’t eligible for it. I think there is one other POY, though, that is awarded regardless of class. 
These kind of discussions in preseason are sometimes slanted toward ones biases but imo Carly Smith has been one of the better regional players for the past 3 years dating back to her 8th grade year.
I think Owsley will be really good but will be a lot easier to defend without the long lefty Lexy Lynch. Hard to stop a good lefty. Especially in the 14th.

I think we will see a Leslie vs Perry region final this year. Owsley, Letcher, Knott could upset Leslie or Perry. Should be a great season of girls BBall.
(10-15-2022, 11:20 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
No question she is one of the top players in the region and has been for the past few years. That class is loaded with some very good players.

Smith and Caudill is tops in the jr class in my opinion.
Top 10 JRs.

1. Neace - PCC
2. Gayheart - Knott
3. Caudill - Powell
4. Smith - Owsley
5. Napier - Leslie
6. Fletcher - Knott
7. Fannin - Perry

Who are the other 3? Brains not working this morning.