Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kids switching schools
(01-31-2022, 10:32 PM)BillSelf Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 10:29 PM)jetpilot Wrote: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Entertaining post! Don’t take much to get the Pikeville homers riled up. What would their stance be on recruiting/transfers if a school like Betsy Layne or Shelby Valley enticed talent from their school to play for them? It’ll never happen though. Independent City schools will always have the upper hand when it comes to bringing in talent from other places.
(01-31-2022, 11:14 PM)Booger Branch Bandit Wrote: Entertaining post! Don’t take much to get the Pikeville homers riled up. What would their stance be on recruiting/transfers if a school like Betsy Layne or Shelby Valley enticed talent from their school to play for them? It’ll never happen though. Independent City schools will always have the upper hand when it comes to bringing in talent from other places.

When SV was winning at a high level in basketball, I can name three players off the top of my head that went from Pikeville to Shelby Valley and contributed. One on the 2010 State Championship team. 

But it will never happen!
(01-31-2022, 11:26 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 11:14 PM)Booger Branch Bandit Wrote: Entertaining post! Don’t take much to get the Pikeville homers riled up. What would their stance be on recruiting/transfers if a school like Betsy Layne or Shelby Valley enticed talent from their school to play for them? It’ll never happen though. Independent City schools will always have the upper hand when it comes to bringing in talent from other places.

When SV was winning at a high level in basketball, I can name three players off the top of my head that went from Pikeville to Shelby Valley and contributed. One on the 2010 State Championship team. 

And how did that make you feel? Lol
Funny you mention that Booger. Pretty sure K Friend left Pikeville to go to Valley for basketball along with a Ramey kid. Also a Tackett kid left to go to Valley and was an 1000 yard rusher. The Keathley kid left Pikeville and was possibly SV leading tackler. The Mims kid at BL left Pikeville and has had a great career at BL. There’s a Fuller kid at SV now and the rest of his family still attend Pikeville. Pretty sure the Pepsi guys daughter left Pikeville too a few years back for girls bball at SV. A lineman left Pikeville to go to Belfry during Belfry’s dominate football run. Anyway enough examples, the point?? Did you hear Pikeville fans crying and whining about any of those? Nope. Pikeville is more than happy to say Good Luck to you and sign right off on the transfer papers. I’d like for someone to post an example of Pikeville fighting a transfer, there very well could be or have been one but I’m sure not aware. When you cry and whine you look weak, so you guys should take your crying and whining to FB where it belongs along with all the other useless material. This site is for big boys.
[-] The following 3 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • 606CATS, jetpilot, Panther Thunder
I thank if the kids better there self by switching then they should mine switched this year for football ball and he is singing Wednesday with EKU and he wouldn’t have been singing with nobody if he had stayed where he was because he wouldn’t have got no help there because they never do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 606CATS's post:
  • Bull got out!
Players move everywhere now from the pros to pee wee. Independent schools do have the upper hand. Guess what, that is the way the world works. Most of the time they have more resources. Everyone talks about enforcing rules but realistically that is never going to happen and I for one would not want it to because it would really only end up penalizing kids that have parents that don't play the system. Let them go where they want. Schools will get a transfer here and there but if you have a school where a lot of players leave then you may need to take a look at why they are leaving.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRoadWarrior's post:
  • 606CATS
(01-31-2022, 11:28 PM)Booger Branch Bandit Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 11:26 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote:

And how did that make you feel? Lol

They/their families did what they felt was best for them.

While it hurts to lose kids who can contribute to your own school’s success, ultimately each individual and their family has the right to do what he or she feels is in his/her own best interest. 

One of the best examples was someone who ended up leaving Pikeville after junior high & having a great career at Pike Central. Everyone has their own circumstances to consider. I just hope student athletes end up making a decision that leaves them happy and well prepared for whatever comes next in life.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • 606CATS
(01-31-2022, 11:31 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Funny you mention that Booger. Pretty sure K Friend left Pikeville to go to Valley for basketball along with a Ramey kid. Also a Tackett kid left to go to Valley and was an 1000 yard rusher. The Keathley kid left Pikeville and was possibly SV leading tackler. The Mims kid at BL left Pikeville and has had a great career at BL. There’s a Fuller kid at SV now and the rest of his family still attend Pikeville. Pretty sure the Pepsi guys daughter left Pikeville too a few years back for girls bball at SV. A lineman left Pikeville to go to Belfry during Belfry’s dominate football run. Anyway enough examples, the point?? Did you hear Pikeville fans crying and whining about any of those? Nope. Pikeville is more than happy to say Good Luck to you and sign right off on the transfer papers. I’d like for someone to post an example of Pikeville fighting a transfer, there very well could be or have been one but I’m sure not aware. When you cry and whine you look weak, so you guys should take your crying and whining to FB where it belongs along with all the other useless material. This site is for big boys.
Excellent post.
I'm all for kids being allowed to transfer.

Families must do what's best for their children. If your kid is very passionate about something and is good at it, put them where they'll thrive. Don't hold them back and kill their passion at a school with a negative culture.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • 606CATS
It all comes down to the KHSAA bylaw on transfers. The KHSAA has became a joke. They allow kids to transfer without a Bonifide change of address. So it's the KHSAA'S FAULT. they are so scared of a lawsuit. Now to the worrix kid who transferred to Pikeville. Good kid, does well in the classroom and he is the one who stirs the drink for pikeville. Without him they DONT win the all A state tournament. They don't get by MURRAY. WITH WORRIX PIKEVILLE IS A LEGIT TOP 10 TEAM IN KENTUCKY. UNTIL THE KHSAA HAS BALLS TO ENFORCE THIER OWN BYLAWS ITS NOT GOING YO CHANGE. UNTIL THEN SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE PLAY OF THE WORRIX KID. HE IS THE TRUE DEFINITION OF WHAT A POINT GUARD IS SUPPOSE TO BE AND IM FOR ANY MOUNTAIN TEAM WHO SUCCEEDS.
I’ve said this numerous times on here when it comes to recruiting Betsy Layne kids to Pikeville being brought up.

As a Betsy Layne homer, and I’d be hard pressed to find three people that love Betsy Layne as much as me, Pikeville hasn’t had to recruit our kids from 2015-2020. We weren’t doing anything to entice them to stay at Betsy Layne. Our boys basketball team was in shambles when Jr retired. Our football hadn’t won 15 games from 15-20 and Pikeville just won their third state title in that time span I believe and the boys basketball team has been to Rupp. So Betsy Layne folks have no one to blame but ourselves, we have to be better across the board and I believe we are in the right direction.

Derrick Newsome has the boys competing for a regional title this season

Jarredd Jarrell turned the 1 win team into a 9 win team and had some promising quarters against Raceland and Paintsville.

So we are moving things in the right direction on the Hill but complaining about recruits from Betsy Layne to Pikeville is overplayed. We have to earn students respect to show them we care about winning and we are going to win or you’re going to lose kids to Pikeville or anywhere to win. Kids are only in HS for 4 years with the exception of covid year. So they have to do what they believe gives them the best shot at happiness and I’ll never hold thst against a kid.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 3 users Like Spud6's post:
  • 606CATS, BlackcatAlum, Grinch1
It’s not about recruiting guys.

It’s about players who graduated last year at a school.

Got an extra year due to a SB. Which stated you had to use it at the school you were enrolled at May 1.

I’m glad they got to play another year, BUT it should have been at the school they “graduated” from. Reason being, they wouldn’t have had that extra year in any other universe. No SB, no extra year.

SV could possibly be a top 3 team with Worrix.
(02-01-2022, 12:07 PM)BillSelf Wrote: It’s not about recruiting guys.

Got an extra year due to a SB. Which stated you had to use it at the school you were enrolled at May 1.

I’m glad they got to play another year, BUT it should have been at the school they “graduated” from. Reason being, they wouldn’t have had that extra year in any other universe. No SB, no extra year.

Kids can go where they want idc.   How do you even know Worrix would have even stayed at Valley and not just have Graduated and moved on with his life.   He has gotten at least two college offers since enrolling at Pikeville. I don’t think he had any before that.  He and his family made a good decision for them and it seems to have worked out.
(02-01-2022, 12:13 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

Kids can go where they want idc.   How do you even know Worrix would have even stayed at Valley and not just have Graduated and moved on with his life.   He has gotten at least two college offers since enrolling at Pikeville. I don’t think he had any before that.  He and his family made a good decision for them and it seems to have worked out.

Once again, I’m not saying any of that. 

I’m saying it should have went by rule. Use SB, stay at school you’re enrolled at.
(02-01-2022, 12:18 PM)BillSelf Wrote:

I’m saying it should have went by rule. Use SB, stay at school you’re enrolled at.
Blame KHSAA don’t complain on message boards.  They set a precedent during football season that they would allow the school change while holding back.  Some kids done it and got eligible and some didn’t.  If they ruled him eligible then that should be the end of the story.

Also if I’m not mistaken. LC got a kid from WV this year who also held back. He lived in a different state and did it if I’m not mistaken. No one ever mentions that on here because it isn’t Pikeville
(02-01-2022, 12:25 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

Blame KHSAA don’t complain on message boards.  They set a precedent during football season that they would allow the school change while holding back.  Some kids done it and got eligible and some didn’t.  If they ruled him eligible then that should be the end of the story.

Also if I’m not mistaken. LC got a kid from WV this year who also held back.  He lived in a different state and did it if I’m not mistaken. No one ever mentions that on here because it isn’t Pikeville

Well, that’s not right that all weren’t eligible then. 

Didn’t know LC kid was a holdback due to SB. But, did the kid from LC/WV move to KY before May 1?
I’m pretty sure I’ve heard complaints about recruits/transfers involving schools other than Pikeville. The Pikeville folks on here just seem to be a little more sensitive about the subject. I guess Paintsville, Breathitt, Perry Central, Belfry, Cordia, Pike Central, and etc fans are just not as fun to troll.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Booger Branch Bandit's post:
  • BillSelf
(02-01-2022, 01:01 PM)Booger Branch Bandit Wrote: I’m pretty sure I’ve heard complaints about recruits/transfers involving schools other than Pikeville. The Pikeville folks on here just seem to be a little more sensitive about the subject. I guess Paintsville, Breathitt, Perry Central, Belfry, Cordia, Pike Central, and etc fans are just not as fun to troll.
Not a Pikeville fan but this whole thread seems to be only about them.   If KHSAA has ruled a kid eligible then the kid is eligible period. That’s my stance on it.
(02-01-2022, 12:25 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

Also if I’m not mistaken. LC got a kid from WV this year who also held back. He lived in a different state and did it if I’m not mistaken. No one ever mentions that on here because it isn’t Pikeville

Grinch,sounds like you stole someone's Christmas ?.
I think Panther is exactly right. If you recruit and win all the time you don’t care and if you don’t then you do care. High school ball is supposed to be about the school you go to and grow up in. The transfer thing is becoming way to common these days. In college that is the way it’s supposed to be. But high school has become way to reliant on it. In some ways, it takes away the actual meaning of pride.
(02-01-2022, 03:05 PM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: I think Panther is exactly right. If you recruit and win all the time you don’t care and if you don’t then you do care. High school ball is supposed to be about the school you go to and grow up in. The transfer thing is becoming way to common these days. In college that is the way it’s supposed to be. But high school has become way to reliant on it. In some ways, it takes away the actual meaning of pride.
There are situations when a player has to leave/transfer to put themselves in a better position.  There are schools that don’t offer a program and opportunities for a young male/female to succeed.  Multiple coaching changes, poor coaching hires, school doesn’t support athletics, etc. are all good reasons to go elsewhere legally!  Just because you “grow up in a school” doesn’t mean it is the right fit.  Especially for an athlete that wants to play college ball. I don’t blame players and their family for putting the athlete in the best situation possible.  You only get 1 shot at it.  It has nothing to do with pride if you are removing yourself from a failed or rebuilding program.  Just my thoughts….
Half of Shelby Valleys starters two years ago came from Pike Central. Funny how ya had tons of 5th year kids transfer in football season and play (Pikeville had a starting linebacker come from Pike Central). All the sudden in basketball season everyone is enraged because basketball kids did the same thing? Would you be asking the same questions if it wasn’t Pikeville? Don’t know what’s worse, when Pikeville wins, or Pikeville loses… Either way it brings out the torches and pitchforks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hambley's post:
  • jetpilot
I think kids should be able to go wherever they want. Coaches do. People change jobs. etc!!! Just think of the kids who grow up in a area playing. Then a coach or someone close to the program recruits some kids in. Not the local kids fault. If they can go somewhere and play let them. I mean who wants to be on a team who has no dedication to them. Or vise versa If I'm a coach who isn't recruiting and a kid doesn't like my style of coaching then I'm good with it. Wish the kid the best. After all isn't it about the student athletes. It should be. Most often its not, its about some coach trying to stack his portfolio trying to move up the ranks and have his ego stroked!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BallAlcoholic's post:
  • 606CATS
Ballaholic, great response. Agree 100 percent.
(01-31-2022, 10:29 PM)jetpilot Wrote: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^Is that a teardrop
Maybe it's a snowflake
Well well well. I venture over to the boy's forum and what do I see? A lot of people say Pikeville is recruiting just like on the girl's boards. I guess there is nothing to see here.
(02-01-2022, 11:31 PM)KingCommodore Wrote: Well well well. I venture over to the boy's forum and what do I see? A lot of people say Pikeville is recruiting just like on the girl's boards. I guess there is nothing to see here.
Nothing to see but lies, and tears falling like rain.
(02-01-2022, 11:14 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

^^^Is that a teardrop
Maybe it's a snowflake

Wrong, it’s an asterisk  Smile
If a family decides that a program is a better fit for there child then
1. Its a compliment to that school that there doing something right.
2. Not so much from the school they came from.

Many things can be contributors to this. Politics being the biggest. Kids only get a short time to do whatever it is they are going to do. I say if there parents are able to make it happen for them then more power to them. A transfer is just a symptom.
Take care of the home front and give kids a reason to be proud of there school but in the meantime, mind your business and stop with the victim mentality. The easiest thing to do is always point the finger somewhere else and assign blame to some other person, any other person. Perhaps you are the problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Huck Fin's post:
  • 606CATS