Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Derossett Named Head Football Coach At Magoffin Co
I would love to see the new re-alignment. Is it finalized anywhere?
(01-07-2022, 02:08 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Doesn't Belfry drop back to 2A in the next realignment?
I haven’t heard that. That would be crazy.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
(01-07-2022, 02:08 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Doesn't Belfry drop back to 2A in the next realignment?

While I think their enrollment could potentially support a drop to 2A......I don't see it happening.
(01-07-2022, 02:49 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

While I think their enrollment could potentially support a drop to 2A......I don't see it happening.
I heard the same thing,  Belfry going to 2A
(01-07-2022, 04:21 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 02:49 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

I heard the same thing,  Belfry going to 2A
I know that Coach Haywood has always been against moving back down to 2A......but.....who knows?   The average male enrollment consistently teeters right on the line between 3A and 2A.    There are a lot of potential changes that could come about with realignment.  Should be interesting.   BTW....Hearing Ashland will once again find themselves in 4A.
I have no idea if Belfry will go to 2a or stay in 3a but if they went to 2a they'd go into that diatrict with East Ridge, Shelby Valley, Pburg, Martin County and I'd say West Carter and Bath would move out. I know those schools would not want to have Belfry in their district

I think John can do a great job as long as his gets the support he needs and the athletes to play. I know Barnett quit before ladg season was over so he needs to make sure he gets him back out.
(01-07-2022, 05:06 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I have no idea if Belfry will go to 2a or stay in 3a but if they went to 2a they'd go into that diatrict with East Ridge, Shelby Valley, Pburg, Martin County and I'd say West Carter and Bath would move out. I know those schools would not want to have Belfry in their district

I think John can do a great job as long as his gets the support he needs and the athletes to play. I know Barnett quit before ladg season was over so he needs to make sure he gets him back out.
I heard Aiden approached DeRossett at school and told him he’s playing.  DeRossett got a few more players that didn’t play last year interested also.
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • Red and Black, Redneck
(01-07-2022, 05:43 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 05:06 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I have no idea if Belfry will go to 2a or stay in 3a but if they went to 2a they'd go into that diatrict with East Ridge, Shelby Valley, Pburg, Martin County and I'd say West Carter and Bath would move out. I know those schools would not want to have Belfry in their district

I heard Aiden approached DeRossett at school and told him he’s playing.  DeRossett got a few more players that didn’t play last year interested also.

He's pretty good at that, among other things. It's a good time to be a football fan in Magoffin County.

(01-07-2022, 02:33 PM)Redneck Wrote:

I have been hearing from people in northeast Pike that the new Mingo Central HS has taken alot of students away from Belfry, which will likely put them below the 3A threshold and drop them back into Pburg's district at the next realignment, which I think is in 2024. If so, I think Derossett will feast.
(01-07-2022, 10:28 PM)Red and Black Wrote:

He's pretty good at that, among other things. It's a good time to be a football fan in Magoffin County.

I have been hearing from people in northeast Pike that the new Mingo Central HS has taken alot of students away from Belfry, which will likely put them below the 3A threshold and drop them back into Pburg's district at the next realignment, which I think is in 2024. If so, I think Derossett will feast.
We have had and will continue to have 2a numbers at Belfry. And we will continue to play up in 3a as long as KHSAA allows it. Would be very surprising to people how close the official turned in enrollment is between Belfry and Pikeville.

Yeah….not sure about all of that.  The economy is certainly in the pits…which has prompted folks to leave.  I’ve not heard anything regarding the Mingo Central stuff. The population has been dwindling for years.   2022 is the last year for the current alignment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Red and Black
(01-07-2022, 11:58 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

Yeah….not sure about all of that.  The economy is certainly in the pits…which has prompted folks to leave.  I’ve not heard anything regarding the Mingo Central stuff. The population has been dwindling for years.   2022 is the last year for the current alignment.
That would suck for Prestonsburg if Belfry went back to 2A in that District.  Pburg wouldn't win a District title.  Will be an interesting re-alignment in 2023
I don't see Belfry dropping to 2A, even if they could.

I'm pretty certain Prestonsburg will be traveling to Salyersville week 2 of next season. Should be a fun game for both programs and one I know coach John would love to win in his first year at Magoffin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • The Real Guru2
(01-10-2022, 04:05 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I don't see Belfry dropping to 2A, even if they could.

I'm pretty certain Prestonsburg will be traveling to Salyersville week 2 of next season. Should be a fun game for both programs and one I know coach John would love to win in his first year at Magoffin.
With the weapons Magoffin returns, I don’t think it will be much of a matchup.  Aiden Barnett will be back along with a bunch of others.  

As long as Prestonsburg doesn’t cancel, it will be a packed house im sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • The Real Guru2
First off-season workout starts today.
Has anyone heard if James Derossett will be joining John at Magoffin Co?
45 young men showed up today
Good deal!
(01-11-2022, 05:49 PM)Westside Wrote: Has anyone heard if James Derossett will be joining John at Magoffin Co?

I'm sure he will.  Great group showed up today, I’m sure the numbers will keep rising.  There’s a lot of excitement on the hill.  These kids are motivated.  

Whitaker, Lafferty and Barnett are on board.  Watch out!!!
(01-12-2022, 12:27 AM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 05:49 PM)Westside Wrote: Has anyone heard if James Derossett will be joining John at Magoffin Co?

I'm sure he will.  Great group showed up today, I’m sure the numbers will keep rising.  There’s a lot of excitement on the hill.  These kids are motivated.  

So...what are you predicting here?  Anything? nothing?  A changing of the guard district wise?  Is the talent there for Magoffin the climb that mountain?   Just curious.
(01-12-2022, 08:34 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 12:27 AM)papabear02 Wrote:

So...what are you predicting here?  Anything? nothing?  A changing of the guard district wise?  Is the talent there for Magoffin the climb that mountain?   Just curious.
Not sure my comment is referring to a prediction.  I’m just stating that your athletes are on board and ready to take last years success a little further.
Do not expect immediate success for new Coach. By success I mean how they perform against top competition like Belfry, Lawrence County etc. Excitement is good for now but that will fall off. What to expect is a change in the way football is approached. Off season workouts, spring practice, summer conditioning and 7 on 7 type activities. But most importantly structure and discipline with good fundamentals. With these changes he has. 2 to 3 year window to really see improvement, to get the middle school kids into his system and hopefully have them buy in. MC will never be Belfry but hopefully will produce highly competitive teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kai's post:
  • The Real Guru2
It will take some time for Coach Derossett to build a "winning culture" at Magoffin. Now with that being said, I look for a noticeable improvement next year, and years to come. Coach Derossett will have his hands full competing against the likes of Belfry and Lawrence County on a yearly basis in District play. I think Magoffin will solidify themselves as the third best team in their district, but it's asking a lot to compete with Belfry on a year in, year out basis. I have heard Magoffin has a good feeder system in place, and in due time, the Hornets could be competing for a District championship.
Magoffin County done about as good as they can possibly do with this hire. Congratulations to Coach Derossett and good luck!
(01-13-2022, 02:34 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: It will take some time for Coach DeRossett to build a "winning culture" at Magoffin. Now with that being said, I look for a noticeable improvement next year, and years to come.    Coach DeRossett will have his hands full competing against the likes of Belfry and Lawrence County on a yearly basis in District play. I think Magoffin will solidify themselves as the third best team in their district, but it's asking a lot to compete with Belfry on a year in, year out basis. I have heard Magoffin has a good feeder system in place, and in due time, the Hornets could be competing for a District champions
 I agree.  It will take a few years for the program and kids to adapt to his coaching style.  They seem to be in good spirit right now but thats the introduction.  When the program is on a year to year basis with a routine then we will start seeing some competition between Lawrence and Belfry but I wouldn't rule MC out against those teams...DeRossett has beat those teams with less talent in the past.  I'm not saying they will dominate those teams...but I am saying they wont get beat by 40.  

Again, I agree with the few years to get on track...Its definitely not going to be immediate success...although, MC has some real deal kids lifting right now...we all may be surprised on what happens!!