Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Derossett Named Head Football Coach At Magoffin Co
Coach Derossett has announced on Facebook that he is the new the football coach and teacher at Magoffin County.  They got a good one.  Congratulations to him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • The Real Guru2, wolfcat
Congratulations!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • The Real Guru2
Congrats to coach Derossett

Magoffin County made the right decision.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • The Real Guru2, Westside
Great hire. Very happy for coach D. I think this is bv the hire that will finally put magoffin county football on the map. In 3 or 4 years that program will be completely different than it was the last 20 years.
[-] The following 2 users Like Red and Black's post:
BOOM! Finally made a decision. And the right one for the program. Wonder if Prestonsburg cancels their game like they did against Betsy Layne.

Anywho, congrats Coach DeRossett and watch out for MC Football!
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
Great hire, Magoffin!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Real Guru2's post:
  • Westside
He will do great
So is he in Magoffin already?
(01-04-2022, 12:44 PM)MissingBallot Wrote: So is he in Magoffin already?
Yes, teaching class, was hired as a teacher also.  He showed up for work at 6:30 this morning.
Great news. Always great to have another good mountain football team, which Magoffin will be soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • papabear02, Redneck
Great hire IMO. I know alot of people claim he has baggage and I’m
sure we’ve all heard stories. If any of that stuff is true, I believe Coach D has probably learned from what’s happened in the past. He brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table. The man knows football and knows how to turn young boys into young men. I don’t know anyone that actually played for him that doesn’t love the man and give him a lot of credit for helping turn them into the men that they are today. If the boys roaming the halls at Magoffin will come out, buy in to his beliefs and system, and drop the “I’m gonna be a UK basketball star” mentality and give this a chance, good/big things will happen for Magoffin County football.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • ekywildcat, Red and Black
Very excited to see the turn around he makes at magoffin
(01-04-2022, 05:16 PM)Redneck Wrote: Great hire IMO. I know alot of people claim he has baggage and I’m
sure we’ve all heard stories. If any of that stuff is true, I believe Coach D has probably learned from what’s happened in the past. He brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table. The man knows football and knows how to turn young boys into young men. I don’t know anyone that actually played for him that doesn’t love the man and give him a lot of credit for helping turn them into the men that they are today. If the boys roaming the halls at Magoffin will come out, buy in to his beliefs and system, and drop the “I’m gonna be a UK basketball star” mentality and give this a chance, good/big things will happen for Magoffin County football.
Couldn’t agree more.  This program should be excited.  

Coach is also building his coaching staff, I’m sure he will bring some former assistants with him that he had at Prestonsburg.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • Redneck
(01-04-2022, 09:30 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 05:16 PM)Redneck Wrote: Great hire IMO. I know alot of people claim he has baggage and I’m

Coach is also building his coaching staff, I’m sure he will bring some former assistants with him that he had at Prestonsburg.
It would be awesome if he could get Michael Burchett to come in this spring and summer to work with the QB’s.
(01-04-2022, 09:43 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 09:30 PM)papabear02 Wrote:

It would be awesome if he could get Michael Burchett to come in this spring and summer to work with the QB’s.

with his connections, I wouldn’t doubt that to happen and Mike would be on board 100%
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • Redneck
Excited to see what Coach D can do at MC. I don't know the guy, but most people seem to have a high opinion of him. Magoffin is a large county, should be a lot of kids to play. I've worked with lots of people from Magoffin over the years, all hard working trustworthy people. I'm sure their kids will make fine players if they can get them out.
(01-05-2022, 08:48 PM)ekywildcat Wrote: Excited to see what Coach D can do at MC.  I don't know the guy, but most people seem to have a high opinion of him.  Magoffin is a large county, should be a lot of kids to play.  I've worked with lots of people from Magoffin over the years, all hard working trustworthy people.  I'm sure their kids will make fine players if they can get them out.
I have a friend in Salyersville, his son plays football.  He said the meeting last night and the Energy throughout the school has changed about football already (of course its all new right now) but his son wasnt sure if he was going to play before DeRossett was hired, now thats all he talks about is playing.  

I think the community is excited about this one...
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • ekywildcat, Red and Black
This is a big hire for Magoffin County. Coach Derossett has always been able to develop players and is one of the best at teaching the game. It sucks that Magoffin is in the same district as Belfry and Lawrence County, but he will have the Hornets competing at a high level before long. I'm curious to see who will be on his staff.
(01-06-2022, 11:39 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: This is a big hire for Magoffin County. Coach Derossett has always been able to develop players and is one of the best at teaching the game. It sucks that Magoffin is in the same district as Belfry and Lawrence County, but he will have the Hornets competing at a high level before long. I'm curious to see who will be on his staff.

That is correct.  I have a friend that his son goes to Magoffin and plays football, he said there was only one assistant there last night, I don't remember his name...He also said DeRossett was interviewing and building the rest of the staff.  

My friend also mentioned that the energy was high in the meeting and the kids are excited...was really impressed with DeRossett and his assistant.
I can’t wait to see what kinda schedule we come up with now. Of course there needs to be some confidence building games, but I’d like to see some stiff competition on there besides the district games against Belfry & Lawrence.
(01-06-2022, 02:50 PM)Redneck Wrote: I can’t wait to see what kinda schedule we come up with now. Of course there needs to be some confidence building games, but I’d like to see some stiff competition on there besides the district games against Belfry & Lawrence.

I’m sure you have followed him for quite some time and you know how his scheduling is.  I can bet Phelps won’t be an opponent
(01-06-2022, 02:59 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 02:50 PM)Redneck Wrote: I can’t wait to see what kinda schedule we come up with now. Of course there needs to be some confidence building games, but I’d like to see some stiff competition on there besides the district games against Belfry & Lawrence.

I’m sure you have followed him for quite some time and you know how his scheduling is.  I can bet Phelps won’t be an opponent
I’d like to see Paintsville and Pikeville on the schedule. I know Pikeville has a couple open slots right now. Not sure what the Tigers schedule is looking like.
Would love to see them play Breathitt. It was scheduled this year bit cancelled due to COVID.
When Derrosett was at Prestonsburg they had a good rivalry with Breathitt for several years. Always respected his teams. Well coached and always played hard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Redneck
(01-06-2022, 09:48 PM)wolfcat Wrote: Would love to see them play Breathitt. It was scheduled this year bit cancelled due to COVID.
When Derrosett was at Prestonsburg they had a good rivalry with Breathitt for several years. Always respected his teams. Well coached and always played hard.
I assumed Breathitt would be on the schedule again this year, that’s why I didn’t mention them.
(01-06-2022, 09:56 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 09:48 PM)wolfcat Wrote: Would love to see them play Breathitt. It was scheduled this year bit cancelled due to COVID.
I assumed Breathitt would be on the schedule again this year, that’s why I didn’t mention them.
I’d say give it some time and you will see a good schedule.  He won’t throw these boys to the wolves right away but I’m sure he will have them prepared to compete at a very high level.  

he’s had some time to gather some more experience with his stint at UPIKE and Cabell.  

his main focus I assume is getting them in the weight room which I heard they haven’t had a disciplined weight program in some time.
They will have their coach’s attitude and personality. They always did at Pburg.
(01-07-2022, 09:01 AM)ROTC Wrote: They will have their coach’s attitude and personality.  They always did at Pburg.
You are correct. A winning attitude and a humble personality are contagious
Certainly reason to be excited in Salyersville. Derossett is an excellent coach and teacher. That being said....I would temper some expectations, One offseason won't be enough to fully change the culture at Magoffin. My guess is he'll let the schedule play itself out....and then slowly start adding some different opponents to evaluate the program. Will be interesting too see how the potential district alignment shakes out. Could Magoffin find themselves else?
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • The Real Guru2
(01-07-2022, 12:00 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Certainly reason to be excited in Salyersville.  Derossett is an excellent coach and teacher.  That being said....I would temper some expectations,  One offseason won't be enough to fully change the culture at Magoffin.  My guess is he'll let the schedule play itself out....and then slowly start adding some different opponents to evaluate the program.  Will be interesting too see how the potential district alignment shakes out.  Could Magoffin find themselves else?

(01-07-2022, 12:22 PM)ROTC Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 12:00 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: Certainly reason to be excited in Salyersville.  Derossett is an excellent coach and teacher.  That being said....I would temper some expectations,  One offseason won't be enough to fully change the culture at Magoffin.  My guess is he'll let the schedule play itself out....and then slowly start adding some different opponents to evaluate the program.  Will be interesting too see how the potential district alignment shakes out.  Could Magoffin find themselves else?
IMO- Magoffin typically produces big raw bones strong young men.  It’s in the genetics of the people there.  They drink all the testosterone out of the Licking River, and the Morgan Co. drinks what they flush out of their commodes!!!  LOL. But seriously, a scheme which is heavy run oriented; some easy RPO read plays with dump passes and screens to keep defenses honest; hard nosed sound defense; and discipline and hard work in the weight room will all bring them some legitimacy in a quick fashion.  Even when the McCoys had some moderate success running Tony Franklin stuff; I thought their talent may have been more suited towards power football.  Anyway, good luck Hornets, work hard, and listen to your coach.  He knows how to win!!!!

(01-07-2022, 12:22 PM)ROTC Wrote:
IMO- Magoffin typically produces big raw bones strong young men.  It’s in the genetics of the people there.  They drink all the testosterone out of the Licking River, and the Morgan Co. drinks what they flush out of their commodes!!!  LOL. But seriously, a scheme which is heavy run oriented; some easy RPO read plays with dump passes and screens to keep defenses honest; hard nosed sound defense; and discipline and hard work in the weight room will all bring them some legitimacy in a quick fashion.  Even when the McCoys had some moderate success running Tony Franklin stuff; I thought their talent may have been more suited towards power football.  Anyway, good luck Hornets, work hard, and listen to your coach.  He knows how to win!!!!
Doesn't Belfry drop back to 2A in the next realignment?