Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Co Football 2022 Season Predictions
(12-31-2021, 01:32 AM)MountainMusic Wrote: Living in this county all my life and watching these teams here’s my take: this is a big season for brewer and Prestonsburg. They need to show improvement. I don’t think we need to rush to remove brewer as I don’t know what kind of quality applicants we would attract. BL will be better but jarrell didn’t make any friends this year that’s for sure. I don’t seem them being able to compete with Raceland or Paintsville as both have better talent and coaches with much better resumes and experience that a school like BL can’t attract. They are much better with jarrell and look forward to more successful seasons by their standards. Floyd central will always struggle in that district. Should be better than this past season. They trick is this county needs to keep its athletes. But with JC, Pikeville, and paintsville all close that will be tough because all are in better situations than any team in this county and I don’t see how that’s debatable? Again, I could see BL having a similar record, Prestonsburg and Floyd central both improve their record.

- I still think Prestonsburg will always be a attractable job. Heck, they almost pulled off stealing Matney away from Johnson Central when they let Derossett go. JC just matched the offer, so he stayed. Pburg has been good at football for decades and has consistently produced good athletes. You have a great boosters club and great facilities. It's also probably one of the best football programs in the state to never win a state championship.

- Bingo. Keeping kids in Floyd County and Prestonsburg is the biggest thing. If we can keep our kids here we can compete with anyone in the mountains at nearly every sport.
(12-31-2021, 02:48 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 01:32 AM)MountainMusic Wrote: Living in this county all my life and watching these teams here’s my take: this is a big season for brewer and Prestonsburg. They need to show improvement. I don’t think we need to rush to remove brewer as I don’t know what kind of quality applicants we would attract. BL will be better but jarrell didn’t make any friends this year that’s for sure. I don’t seem them being able to compete with Raceland or Paintsville as both have better talent and coaches with much better resumes and experience that a school like BL can’t attract. They are much better with jarrell and look forward to more successful seasons by their standards. Floyd central will always struggle in that district. Should be better than this past season. They trick is this county needs to keep its athletes. But with JC, Pikeville, and paintsville all close that will be tough because all are in better situations than any team in this county and I don’t see how that’s debatable? Again, I could see BL having a similar record, Prestonsburg and Floyd central both improve their record.

- I still think Prestonsburg will always be a attractable job. Heck, they almost pulled off stealing Matney away from Johnson Central when they let Derossett go. JC just matched the offer, so he stayed. Pburg has been good at football for decades and has consistently produced good athletes. You have a great boosters club and great facilities. It's also probably one of the best football programs in the state to never win a state championship.

- Bingo. Keeping kids in Floyd County and Prestonsburg is the biggest thing. If we can keep our kids here we can compete with anyone in the mountains at nearly every sport.
In your opinion, how do you keep kids in Floyd Co? 

Its not only Prestonsburg its Betsy Layne also...The parents get mad at one person and they transfer...The parents are the biggest cry babies when it comes to transfers...they think their kid is an all american and should play at the position they think they should play and when they dont, they say ok he will just transfer...I mean, If Floyd County schools isn't good enough for you to go to school in, then why do you still live in the county? Move your house too...dont just take the pizza toppings, take the crust too...
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • clipperw
Kids transferring because of playing time or not playing certain positions is not the problem. In fact, I don’t know of anyone doing that.

You have a lot more families living in Floyd County that have never sent their kids to a Floyd Co school and that’s because those families either believe the neighboring districts are a better option or they work there and it’s just easier to send their kids near where they work. That falls on the Floyd County board of education. I mean there was a article that came out last year or the year before stating that the county was losing over $1 million in tax money because over 400 kids that lived in Floyd County where going to school in neighboring counties. Folks that falls back on your school board not making the necessary progress it should have years ago.

Right now Prestonsburg Elementary can’t keep teachers because of politics. Parents aren’t going to keep sending their kids to a school that keeps losing some of its best teachers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black
(12-31-2021, 11:06 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Kids transferring because of playing time or not playing certain positions is not the problem. In fact, I don’t know of anyone doing that.

You have a lot more families living in Floyd County that have never sent their kids to a Floyd Co school and that’s because those families either believe the neighboring districts are a better option or they work there and it’s just easier to send their kids near where they work. That falls on the Floyd County board of education. I mean there was a article that came out last year or the year before stating that the county was losing over $1 million in tax money because over 400 kids that lived in Floyd County where going to school in neighboring counties. Folks that falls back on your school board not making the necessary progress it should have years ago.

Right now Prestonsburg Elementary can’t keep teachers because of politics. Parents aren’t going to keep sending their kids to a school that keeps losing some of its best teachers.
There are families that live right here in Prestonsburg and they have kids attend a neighboring school out of Floyd county that recently transferred in the past year.  I know of multiple families that transferred their kids to neighboring counties and most of them or 90% of them were athletes...Not going to buy the "oh the neighboring districts are a better option or they work their and its easier"  Come on, you been around here long enough to know how it works...I know you better than that.
(12-31-2021, 11:16 AM)papabear02 Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 11:06 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Kids transferring because of playing time or not playing certain positions is not the problem. In fact, I don’t know of anyone doing that.

There are families that live right here in Prestonsburg and they have kids attend a neighboring school out of Floyd county that recently transferred in the past year.  I know of multiple families that transferred their kids to neighboring counties and most of them or 90% of them were athletes...Not going to buy the "oh the neighboring districts are a better option or they work their and its easier"  Come on, you been around here long enough to know how it works...I know you better than that.
Like I said, I don’t know of anyone leaving because they weren’t getting playing time or their way is what I’m saying. Are kids transferring for sports? Yeah. Never said they weren’t. 

The biggest problem is there’s 400+ Floyd County kids going to neighboring county schools. That’s my main point. That bleeding has to slow down and I believe it will with the new Floyd Central high school. Updates made at Prestonsburg. Betsy Layne getting a new gymnasium and baseball field. Etc.

Like I said, I don’t know of anyone leaving because they weren’t getting playing time or their way is what I’m saying. Are kids transferring for sports? Yeah. Never said they weren’t. 

The biggest problem is there’s 400+ Floyd County kids going to neighboring county schools. That’s my main point. That bleeding has to slow down and I believe it will with the new Floyd Central high school. Updates made at Prestonsburg. Betsy Layne getting a new gymnasium and baseball field. Etc.
(01-01-2022, 12:09 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:

From what I have seen in the program (field wise), they could use some help on the defensive side of the coaching staff.  I think they have a good set on the offensive side, but I'm not confident in the defensive production.  I would like to see them add one or two defensive minded assistants specifically at DB and Linebacker.  

Offensively I'm not used to all the movement up front, to me that is just a recipe for disaster but they have been successful at it so I guess its not too bad.  Would also like to see them balance out the play calling some, you caould tell other teams didnt even respect the passing game last year when they removed their deep safety  and brought him in right close to the LB's...This team isnt Belfry or JC and they sure dont have the athletes like them.
(01-03-2022, 07:45 PM)papabear02 Wrote: From what I have seen in the program (field wise), they could use some help on the defensive side of the coaching staff.  I think they have a good set on the offensive side, but I'm not confident in the defensive production.  I would like to see them add one or two defensive minded assistants specifically at DB and Linebacker.  

Offensively I'm not used to all the movement up front, to me that is just a recipe for disaster but they have been successful at it so I guess its not too bad.  Would also like to see them balance out the play calling some, you caould tell other teams didnt even respect the passing game last year when they removed their deep safety  and brought him in right close to the LB's...This team isnt Belfry or JC and they sure dont have the athletes like them.

From what I've been told, the plan going forward is to run a shotgun wing-t. Brewer ran this offense in 2017 at Powell County with Jon Brooks at QB and they finished the season at 8-5 and went to the region championship in 3A. According to the KHSAA website, they threw for 121 yards a game and rushed for 281. They haven't really had a drop back passer yet since Brewer took over. They have one coming up that'll more than likely start in 2023 as a freshman, but as of right now they're going to try sophomore Alex Harris at it and see if he can handle it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life
(01-03-2022, 10:22 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 07:45 PM)papabear02 Wrote: From what I have seen in the program (field wise), they could use some help on the defensive side of the coaching staff.  I think they have a good set on the offensive side, but I'm not confident in the defensive production.  I would like to see them add one or two defensive minded assistants specifically at DB and Linebacker.  

From what I've been told, the plan going forward is to run a shotgun wing-t. Brewer ran this offense in 2017 at Powell County with Jon Brooks at QB and they finished the season at 8-5 and went to the region championship in 3A. According to the KHSAA website, they threw for 121 yards a game and rushed for 281. They haven't really had a drop back passer yet since Brewer took over. They have one coming up that'll more than likely start in 2023 as a freshman, but as of right now they're going to try sophomore Alex Harris at it and see if he can handle it.

I like the pistol set in the wing formation.  I think it will give the QB more time to make a decision and see what's going on.  The Wing-T isn't a bad offense but you have to have the right personnel to run it effectively.   Brewer is well seasoned with the Wing offense and I believe moving to the pistol formation would open up quick screens, qb draws and a whole new arsenal of threats for the opposing defense.  

Speaking of defense, it follows the same principal, you have to have the right personnel to run a 3-3.  Some athletes on the outside and some good DB's...Prestonsburg will face some passing teams again next year and I hope the DC adjusts from last year....I know everyone wants a "system", we are going to run this and that's it!! kind of mentality...but sometimes you just have to think outside the box, take what the opposing offense gives you and adjust...

Prestonsburg has the tools, but I'm not sure they are properly used at the moment.

To be honest, Brewer hasn't had a true QB during his time at the Prestonsburg. He has implemented an offense that suits his personal. Being up front about it, Prestonsburg hasn't produced any game changers as far as athletes since Brewer has been at the helm. It's been a mixture of kids transferring out, or simply the better athletes not playing football. A big hurdle for Brewer and his coaching staff over the next couple of years will be trying to get these kids on the field.
(01-06-2022, 11:54 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:

To be honest, Brewer hasn't had a true QB during his time at the Prestonsburg. He has implemented an offense that suits his personal. Being up front about it, Prestonsburg hasn't produced any game changers as far as athletes since Brewer has been at the helm. It's been a mixture of kids transferring out, or simply the better athletes not playing football. A big hurdle for Brewer and his coaching staff over the next couple of years will be trying to get these kids on the field.

Not sure you could compare 2017 Powell with 2022 Prestonsburg, Powell had some good athletes that year not sure Prestonsburg has the same type of athletes coming into 2022.   Just because it worked at Powell, doesnt mean it will work at Prestonsburg.  But, if it works, it works...Good luck to them...Would love to see this program back in mix.
I would say Akers and Jarvis were traditional Prestonsburg game changing players this year, they just didn't have the role players on defense that used to make Prestonsburg competitive every year. I think the talent is there, they just don't have the size, strength, or culture that they need yet.
Does anyone think since Magoffin hired DeRossett that some of his former players might send their kids to Magoffin to play for him now?
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
YES! The one thing Salyersville and Prestonsburg always had in common was good looking redneck women who loved the tanning bed and Mary Kay- a lot of them packed pistols, too. Now, they have Derossett!!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like ROTC's post:
  • Red and Black, Redneck
(01-07-2022, 02:12 PM)Red and Black Wrote: I would say Akers and Jarvis were traditional Prestonsburg game changing players this year, they just didn't have the role players on defense that used to make Prestonsburg competitive every year. I think the talent is there, they just don't have the size, strength, or culture that they need yet.
I agree. One thing you can agree on is that when DeRossett was at Pburg, if they didn’t have the role players…they developed them!   

the size is one thing that has lacked at Prestonsburg…Pburg is going to hurt losing Akers but I believe they may survive offensively, but defensively I think they will struggle a lot.  

with Prestonsburg going to Magoffin this year. Magoffin returns some athletes at the receiver position. I see a lot of points being scored in MC favor in this matchup.
(01-07-2022, 02:41 PM)Redneck Wrote: Does anyone think since Magoffin hired DeRossett that some of his former players might send their kids to Magoffin to play for him now?

I don't think so, but then again, I didn't think former Prestonsburg players would send their kids to Paintsville, either. So, I'm not sure. I think he will bring in at least a couple of former players to help as assistant coaches who will likely enroll their kids at MC, but I don't see any more than that.

Speaking personally, I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if it happened because we all have a huge amount of love and respect for Derossett, but I think most of us love our hometown more. We're pretty committed to the rebuild, at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, BlackcatPride32
(01-07-2022, 10:24 PM)Red and Black Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 02:41 PM)Redneck Wrote: Does anyone think since Magoffin hired DeRossett that some of his former players might send their kids to Magoffin to play for him now?

I don't think so, but then again, I didn't think former Prestonsburg players would send their kids to Paintsville, either. So, I'm not sure. I think he will bring in at least a couple of former players to help as assistant coaches who will likely enroll their kids at MC, but I don't see any more than that.

Speaking personally, I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if it happened because we all have a huge amount of love and respect for Derossett, but I think most of us love our hometown more. We're pretty committed to the rebuild, at this point.

Most or some of DeRossetts former players have a mix in age of kids.  Some took their kids to Paintsville and JC that are still playing.  Im with R&B, it was a surprise when some pretty good alumni from the 90's took their kids to Paintsville but I honestly dont see that happening this time around...yes, there is loyalty to the man and most respect him, but I think the current ones enrolled are afraid of moving like that.   

Prestonsburg is banking on this "new addition" to the football complex that would attract and retain players. those facilities don't win football games.
Can someone post their 2022 schedule?
(02-02-2022, 01:18 PM)jgreenlhc Wrote: Can someone post their 2022 schedule?
Who’s schedule are you wanting?
Prestonsburg 2022 Football Schedule

8/19 Betsy Layne
8/26 @ Magoffin Co.
9/2 @ Phelps
9/9 @ Powell Co.
9/16 Floyd Central
9/23 @ East Ridge (district)
9/30 Shelby Valley (district)
10/7 @ West Carter (district)
10/14 Bath Co. (district)
10/21 Martin Co. (district)
I need Floyd Central, Belry and Pike County Central if you have their schedules
(12-27-2021, 12:46 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: - Betsy Layne graduates 11 players including Howell and Mimms. They return Brady Robinson and Reese Music. It'll be interesting to see what Jarrell decides to do with the group he's returning. Does he move someone like Robinson to QB? Does coach Parsons son, Carter come in and play quarterback as a freshman?

I still expect BL to finish 3rd in district and likely be out of the playoffs after the 1st round. They're still really far behind Raceland and Paintsville. But the program is definitely headed in the right direction. They have some good players coming up.

- Floyd Central graduates just 3 players. Returns all their best players, but IMO the best athletes at FC aren't playing football. I think they'll be better, but how much better? We'll see. I think they're capable of beating Magoffin County and giving Pike Central a run for their money in district. Don't see the Jags competing with Belfry and Lawrence County.

- Prestonsburg graduated 7 guys, with the biggest loss being Carter Akers. He led the team in tackles and rushing yards. Outside of losing Akers, they return basically the rest of their key players from 2021. Sounds like sophomore Alex Harris will take over at quarterback. He's more mobile than what they had last year at the position. I think offensively the Blackcats will be fine, however the defense worries me. They're going to need some guys to really step up on that side of the ball.

This will be year 5 for coach Brandon Brewer and he's going to be fielding his most talented team he's had so far at Pburg. I'll put my bias for Pburg aside and say that a 3rd or 4th seed seems to be the most realistic expectation for 2022 in district. District play should be very competitive.