Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1A 2022 Predictions?
Theres a helluva lot more to acheduling than meets the eye. I totally get that. But I honestly believe that consistent home and home series' with the traditional 1-4A top 10 teams will make a big difference. Especially with the tallent we have coming through right now. Belfry is a prime example of what scheduling can do for you. True, they have Haywood. But they were 0-5 with many people writing their demise as a certainty. They won a title. I also believe if you replace Pikevilles games with LCA and Madison Central, with someone like Middlesboro or Somerset and teams of that level of competition, they would not have won the title game. 1 or 2 games of that nature can make a huge difference. Raceland really doesnt gain anything by playing West Carter, Greenup, or the random Lincoln County, WV. Fairview and Betsy Lane are nowhere near the level of Raceland. The gap between Raceland and Paintsville this year, was pretty wide as well. We need stiffer competition in non district schedule.

Speaking of Paintsville, I spoke with some Tigers at the middle school basketball game this weekend and they seemed to be a bit on the fence in terms of how the new HC is going to fair over the next few years. There is definitely a change of culture since Chirico left.
I’ve watched about 4 Russellville games now and how Pikeville didn’t beat them by a hundred is beyond me. They must have played their super bowl when they beat Raceland. We tend to bring that out in people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAM-A-DEVIL's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(12-13-2021, 03:00 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: I’ve watched about 4 Russellville games now and how Pikeville didn’t beat them by a hundred is beyond me. They must have played their super bowl when they beat Raceland. We tend to bring that out in people.
And we've enjoyed it eleventy billion times since then. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
(12-13-2021, 03:00 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: I’ve watched about 4 Russellville games now and how Pikeville didn’t beat them by a hundred is beyond me. They must have played their super bowl when they beat Raceland. We tend to bring that out in people.
All jokes aside I thought Pikeville played much better against Raceland than Russellville.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
I gotta agree. Im still suprised at the way the title game went. Pikeville looked like a team with something to prove the week before. In the title game they came out hot and then seemed to just coast. Gove Russellvilles defense credit though. That was a stellar 2nd half.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(12-14-2021, 12:25 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
All jokes aside I thought Pikeville played much better against Raceland than Russellville.
Gotta agree jp. It's like they were playing not to lose. A win is a win and I appreciate that, but more effort was needed. Jmo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
(12-14-2021, 09:13 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: I gotta agree. Im still suprised at the way the title game went. Pikeville looked like a team with something to prove the week before. In the title game they came out hot and then seemed to just coast. Gove Russellvilles defense credit though. That was a stellar 2nd half.
Give Pikeville credit too. Had to shut Russellville out last 21+ minutes I believe or we would be sitting here with 5 titles right now.
I watched the NCC game and I’m still not sure what happened. That game was 0-0 mid 4th at Russellville. And let’s be honest, NCC was not good this year. Beechwood could have scored 100 in their game.
Pikeville definitely didn't bring their A game or probably their B game for that matter but you gotta give Russellville credit as they battled and left it all on the field.

Pikeville's defense made plays when they had too. The offense and especially the playcalling was very frustrating most of the season atleast for me. Very little creativity but when it's all said and done a state title is sweet regardless of how it plays out. That 2021 will look very nice sitting next to 1987, 1988, 1989, 2015, and 2019 on signs and shirts around town.
Russellville was 0-9 on converting 3rd down. They absolutely played their best game of the year in the championship game. They did not have one sustaining drive the entire first half and still put up points. It was just big plays and they had more then what I thought they would have. As for next year Pikeville will be tough, those D-lineman leaving will hurt but I got a feeling they will be ok. As long as they stay committed to the weight room in the off season Pikeville will have a stingy defense next year. Raceland will be WAY better and that loss left a bad taste in their mouth, RPI is gonna be HUGE next year in that one.Hazard will be interesting, with their young QB coming back they will definitely be able to throw the ball. To me Paintsville is a huge question mark... Dont know much about Bethlehem but they played Russellville extremely well, not sure who they have coming back.
(12-14-2021, 03:14 PM)2000PHS Wrote: I watched the NCC game and I’m still not sure what happened. That game was 0-0 mid 4th at Russellville. And let’s be honest, NCC was not good this year. Beechwood could have scored 100 in their game.
I hear you loud and clear but the only thing we are absolutely positive about is Pikeville is state champs. I know that sounds arrogant but there was one goal and only one team achieved that goal. Wasn't pretty but the gold trophy says state champions and doesn't say wasn't pretty.
(12-14-2021, 03:14 PM)2000PHS Wrote: I watched the NCC game and I’m still not sure what happened. That game was 0-0 mid 4th at Russellville. And let’s be honest, NCC was not good this year. Beechwood could have scored 100 in their game.

Not good because of one game? That’s laughable. Got news for ya that Beechwood team would pretty much run over any team in 1A with no problem bet on that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sportsdadof2's post:
  • jetpilot
(12-15-2021, 12:29 AM)Sportsdadof2 Wrote:

Not good because of one game? That’s laughable. Got news for ya that Beechwood team would pretty much run over any team in 1A with no problem bet on that.
Things are looking up for NCC for playing Russellville close at Russellville with a young team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(12-15-2021, 12:38 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Things are looking up for NCC for playing Russellville close at Russellville with a young team.
NCC was a power in 2-A for a long time, then dropped to 1-A and was a power then, but  always seemed to be in the shadow of that big red machine from Ft. Mitchell. Now, since that shadow is no longer there, they just might feel they can start flexin a little muscle again.

Glad you got a good laugh. I said what I said. I don’t think any title contender in 1A should get beat 7-70 by a 2A school.
(12-13-2021, 10:53 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Theres a helluva lot more to acheduling than meets the eye. I totally get that. But I honestly believe that consistent home and home series' with the traditional 1-4A top 10 teams will make a big difference. Especially with the tallent we have coming through right now. Belfry is a prime example of what scheduling can do for you. True, they have Haywood. But they were 0-5 with many people writing their demise as a certainty. They won a title. I also believe if you replace Pikevilles games with LCA and Madison Central, with someone like Middlesboro or Somerset and teams of that level of competition, they would not have won the title game. 1 or 2 games of that nature can make a huge difference. Raceland really doesnt gain anything by playing West Carter, Greenup, or the random Lincoln County, WV. Fairview and Betsy Lane are nowhere near the level of Raceland. The gap between Raceland and Paintsville this year, was pretty wide as well. We need stiffer competition in non district schedule.

Speaking of Paintsville, I spoke with some Tigers at the middle school basketball game this weekend and they seemed to be a bit on the fence in terms of how the new HC is going to fair over the next few years. There is definitely a change of culture since Chirico left.
Just catching up here. A couple things, I don’t think Racelands scheduling was a major issue. Adding just one or two quality games would help. But for instance last year when Pikeville lost to Hazard in the playoffs, Pikeville had played Belfry, LCA, and 2 6A schools having lost to one of them. I just don’t think the kids had really had enough playoff experience as a whole after the 2019 group had graduated. So sometimes it’s not necessarily just scheduling but a conglomeration of multiple factors. I’m just not sure Raceland kids were ready this year no matter the schedule. As for Paintsville’s coach, I don’t know the guy so I can’t really speak for him as a person or coach or what type of culture he’s instilling. I just don’t think Paintsville has the kids to compete currently. The Phelps kid is a solid player, but that’s about it. Their numbers are really low due to them being such a small school. And let’s be honest without the huge influx of the 2020 class from other schools, Chirico probably doesn’t win a title and then the well would’ve dried on him too. I’m not crying over them getting those kids just stating my opinion. Back to Raceland, a little better schedule and the experience from the Pikeville game this year may be enough to propel them but I’m sure the Pikeville kids will have a little say in that. I’ve already heard they are hard back at it in the weight room. I’ve also heard a few other interesting tidbits that could potentially be compelling for the trajectory of 1A football next year. Whether facts or rumors, I’m not sure so I’ll keep it to myself.
(12-15-2021, 10:36 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Glad you got a good laugh. I said what I said. I don’t think any title contender in 1A should get beat 7-70 by a 2A school.
I did thanks! I never claimed NCC to be a title contender this year. I’m not taking anything away from either team that played in the state game both deserved to be at Kroger field. To claim NCC was not good is a little bit of a stretch based on one game. With only 5 seniors and a lot of sophomores starting and playing on Friday night think we did okay. We did hold the state runner up to zero points for most the game at Russellville. I stand with what I said above that Beechwood team would beat any team in 1A and many other classes. Beechwood is a fantastic program and continues to draw kids because of the reputation they have.