Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyle Co 30 Johnson Central 13 (4A Championship Game)
Congratulations to Boyle County on #10!!! Very very impressive!!

I cannot imagine Coach Matney being any more proud of this team even if they had won this game. They played with discipline, courage and never ever quit. Those are definitely qualities that he taught and instilled in his team.
[-] The following 3 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hatz, Rebel55
Congratulations to Boyle County. JC simply got out-coached in this battle. Hopefully next year JC finds themselves a better coach, because Steve Trimble isn’t a head coach.
(12-04-2021, 11:17 AM)BigLew75 Wrote: Congratulations to Boyle County. JC simply got out-coached in this battle. Hopefully next year JC finds themselves a better coach, because Steve Trimble isn’t a head coach.

He didn’t ask to be head coach. Just unfortunate circumstances took place and forced him into a roll.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 3 users Like Spud6's post:
  • BEChargers, Diogenes, Iggyfan
(12-04-2021, 11:17 AM)BigLew75 Wrote: Congratulations to Boyle County. JC simply got out-coached in this battle. Hopefully next year JC finds themselves a better coach, because Steve Trimble isn’t a head coach.

I thought he did good considering what he was asked to do. I feel sorry for the Johnson Central fan base because a Jim Matney won't be replaced.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • BEChargers
Does anyone know who the frontrunner(s) are for the JC job? They certainly aren't going to replace Matney but, they'll need to make a great hire, if they want to keep the train rollin'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LCfootball's post:
  • BigLew75
Boyle County had a very powerful team, especially on the
 line of scrimmage.  They just overpowered Johnson Central.
(12-04-2021, 11:40 AM)LCfootball Wrote: Does anyone know who the frontrunner(s) are for the JC job? They certainly aren't going to replace Matney but, they'll need to make a great hire, if they want to keep the train rollin'.
I think that job, with what Matney has built, should attract some good candidates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LCfootball's post:
  • BigLew75
(12-04-2021, 11:40 AM)LCfootball Wrote: Does anyone know who the frontrunner(s) are for the JC job? They certainly aren't going to replace Matney but, they'll need to make a great hire, if they want to keep the train rollin'.
There will never be another Matney, but I believe Justin Arms would be the next best fit for that position. He knows how Matney coaches and would be the best for that position IMO.

(12-04-2021, 11:43 AM)LCfootball Wrote:
I think that job, with what Matney has built, should attract some good candidates.

I agree with you. 

A coach can’t win the LOS and that’s where Boyle won.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hatz's post:
  • BEChargers, Jack Lambert, Rebel55
(12-04-2021, 02:37 AM)Gold River Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 02:34 AM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 12:10 AM)Corbin Wrote: Congrats to Coach Haddix and the Rebels. A big part of Redhound Nation were pulling hard for you guys. I'm not entirely sure what the future has in store for the Rebels as I don't know much about the roster but I can guarantee you that Justin Haddix will have you in contention for the foreseeable future..

Also, hats off to Johnson Central on facing tons of adversity and tragedy and turning it into a very respectable state runner up finish. I know you guys wish you got to hoist the trophy but I can guarantee you that Coach Matney is smiling down proud as can be of his kids. Take all of his teachings, remember his words and use them in life. I guarantee you that he would want every young man to be better in life than on the football field. For those returning, remember his coaching, accept the new coaching and carry on his legacy with you every time you put those pads on.
From the visitor side it looked like all Corbin and Boyle fans sitting on Home Side. Maybe Corbin is missing Haddix. He sure had a lot of Corbin people there supporting him. Half of Corbin can’t be wrong? Congrats Boyle County on a great Win. Two in a row and Corbin hasn’t sniffed one since 1982. Someone at the game was quoted saying Boyle County is trying to play football while Corbin is playing games. Pretty good quote and very fitting..
A horde of Redhounds set on the visitors side close to me as well. I don’t know if  they where cheering for JC I think they just came in the gate on our side.

I talked to the group that sat on the JC side on the phone.  The rest of us sat on the Boyle side. I saw most the team there it seemed like. Lots of Corbin people there.
(12-04-2021, 02:47 AM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 12:10 AM)Corbin Wrote: Congrats to Coach Haddix and the Rebels. A big part of Redhound Nation were pulling hard for you guys. I'm not entirely sure what the future has in store for the Rebels as I don't know much about the roster but I can guarantee you that Justin Haddix will have you in contention for the foreseeable future..

Also, hats off to Johnson Central on facing tons of adversity and tragedy and turning it into a very respectable state runner up finish. I know you guys wish you got to hoist the trophy but I can guarantee you that Coach Matney is smiling down proud as can be of his kids. Take all of his teachings, remember his words and use them in life. I guarantee you that he would want every young man to be better in life than on the football field. For those returning, remember his coaching, accept the new coaching and carry on his legacy with you every time you put those pads on.
From the visitor side it looked like all Corbin and Boyle fans sitting on Home Side. Maybe Corbin is missing Haddix. He sure had a lot of Corbin people there supporting him. Half of Corbin can’t be wrong? Congrats Boyle County on a great Win. Two in a row and Corbin hasn’t sniffed one since 1982. Someone at the game was quoted saying Boyle County is trying to play football while Corbin is playing games. Pretty good quote and very fitting..
A horde of Redhounds set on the visitors side close to me as well. I don’t know if  they where cheering for JC I think they just came in the gate on our side.
The people working the gate that my wife and I came in at told us that there was more Corbin fans in attendance than Boyle County. That speaks volumes about Coach Haddix unless of course people were there just taking notes. Either way great turnout by the Redhounds.

Unfortunately, Corbin fans have now come to realize that this is as close as they will get to experiencing a state championship game. So why not vicariously experience a state title win through your former coach.  Justin was very popular with Corbin players,  families, and community.  But it was some of the Corbin "boosters" who apparently wanted him out and home boy Tommy Greer in. You've seen the result of letting boosters run and ruin your program.  Bodie Cox's brother should resign as Super and his replacement(hopefully someone that didn't grow up a couple hundred yards from the old high school) should clean house and dare a booster to come near the high school or Denes Stadium.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • BigLew75
JC got handled at time on defense last week too, Boyles defense is the real story here.
Congrats to Boyle County. They continue to dominate 4a and with Haddix as their coach I don’t see them slowing down any time soon. The good news for the rest of 4a is Jagger Gillis is graduating. He is a special, special player that can transform a good team into an elite team.

Proud of the effort by JC to keep fighting. They will return one of the best backfields they’ve had in the past 10-15 years. It will be a huge boost to get Mason Lawson back next year as he was averaging close to 150 rushing yards per game before injury. The trio of McCoart, Lawson, and Price will be really hard for teams to handle. They have a lot to replace on the offensive line especially Grant Bingham and they have to replace their QB.

JC will be right back in the thick of things next year but there is a gap between Boyle and the rest of 4a right now. It will take a special performance from JC or Franklin to topple them.
(12-04-2021, 12:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 02:47 AM)Playcaller66 Wrote:

The people working the gate that my wife and I came in at told us that there was more Corbin fans in attendance than Boyle County. That speaks volumes about Coach Haddix unless of course people were there just taking notes. Either way great turnout by the Redhounds.

Unfortunately, Corbin fans have now come to realize that this is as close as they will get to experiencing a state championship game. So why not vicariously experience a state title win through your former coach.  Justin was very popular with Corbin players,  families, and community.  But it was some of the Corbin "boosters" who apparently wanted him out and home boy Tommy Greer in. You've seen the result of letting boosters run and ruin your program.  Bodie Cox's brother should resign as Super and his replacement(hopefully someone that didn't grow up a couple hundred yards from the old high school) should clean house and dare a booster to come near the high school or Denes Stadium.
Corbin superintendent traded Haddix for Greer, Mills, and Mouser. Corbin will now regress to the Coach Jewell days where a lot of their good athletes transfer south and the Al Bundy's of Corbin will  be talking about scoring a touchdown in the state championship game 40 years ago. Haddix is young enough that by the time he retires he will hold just about any all time coaching record he wants.
If you ever want to see a perfect example of a complete idiot who posts on message boards, here is that perfect example.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bob Seger's post:
  • BEChargers, HOFER, Hoot Gibson, Rebel55

Joe Chirico
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • LCfootball
Congratulations to the Rebels and also to Jagger Gillis on two awesome years at BC. #9alwaysbeenourMVP

Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Candyman21's post:
  • Rebel55
(12-04-2021, 01:13 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Joe Chirico
No way….he would be on the list of the last people on earth JC would hire, he’s a great coach but not the man for this job. Front runners and more like than likely only people considered for the job Justin Arms, Jesse Peck, Blake gamble.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • BigLew75
(12-04-2021, 12:59 PM)Mister D Wrote: Congrats to Boyle County. They continue to dominate 4a and with Haddix as their coach I don’t see them slowing down any time soon. The good news for the rest of 4a is Jagger Gillis is graduating. He is a special, special player that can transform a good team into an elite team.

Proud of the effort by JC to keep fighting. They will return one of the best backfields they’ve had in the past 10-15 years. It will be a huge boost to get Mason Lawson back next year as he was averaging close to 150 rushing yards per game before injury. The trio of McCoart, Lawson, and Price will be really hard for teams to handle. They have a lot to replace on the offensive line especially Grant Bingham and they have to replace their QB.

JC will be right back in the thick of things next year but there is a gap between Boyle and the rest of 4a right now. It will take a special performance from JC or Franklin to topple them.

So other schools such as Lexington Catholic have no shot next  year?
(12-04-2021, 01:36 PM)Gold River Wrote:

Joe Chirico
No way….he would be on the list of the last people on earth JC would hire, he’s a great coach but not the man for this job. Front runners and more like than likely only people considered for the job Justin Arms, Jesse Peck, Blake gamble.
Hahahaha they would be head over hills for him.
Congratulations to Boyle County on another state championship. I disagree with those who say that the difference in the game was Boyle County's line. The difference in the game was Cole Lanter. Boyle County's defensive line may have outplayed JC's defensive line, but both played an excellent game. The play on which Lanter ran down McCoart from behind on a long run showed the difference in the game in a nutshell. I don't think that JC could have done a better job covering Lanter, but his presence in the game opened up opportunities for the rest of Boyle's offense and he still managed to break big plays of his own. Gillis also played a great game, as one would expect a great QB with his experience to do.

IMO, the absence of Mason Lawson from JC's offense and from their defense was also a big factor in last night's game. Lawson was rushing for 145 yards per game when he was lost for the season and was averaging 12.5 yards per carry. Lawson was also a key player in JC's defensive secondary. 

Johnson Central's defense feeds on the offense's ability to sustain long drives when necessary and Boyle County's ability to force two JC punts in the first quarter was a huge factor in the game. Against most opponents, JC's offensive line softened defenses pretty quickly and allowed the Golden Eagle backfield to dominate but with Boyle County's speed, especially Lanter and Zeismer, that never happened last night. Having Lawson available last night would have made the game much more competitive but injuries are a part of the game. Sometimes, your team suffers key injuries and sometimes they impact your opponent more. Hopefully, Lawson will return 100% next season to what should be one of the most explosive Johnson Central backfields in school history and the Golden Eagles will get a rematch with Boyle County.

I want to thank interim coach, Steve Trimble, and his staff for doing an outstanding job under very difficult circumstances this season. Coach Matney would be proud of the way that you worked together to allow his players to enjoy another very successful season and learn the lessons that only being part of cohesive teams can teach.
(12-04-2021, 02:03 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Joe Chirico
Joe Chirico did a great job at Paintsville and if Johnson Central decides to hire from outside, he would definitely be on their shortlist if he was interested - but there is no reason to look outside the district, IMO. Jim Matney delivered a recipe for successful football to Johnson Central that works and he left behind a staff that knows how to build teams. There is no reason to rebuild the program from the ground up unless there are no current or recent qualified staff members interested in taking the helm.

I will not voice a preference for the next JC head coach because I am not qualified to make that call, but Johnson Central's football program should be mature enough now to hire from within and avoid any political influences in making the hiring decision. There were good reasons for hiring outside the district when Bill Musick and Jim Matney were hired but hopefully, Johnson Central's current administration learned from the mistakes that administrations prior to Musick's hiring learned and will hire the best available man for the job. Johnson Central's football program is among the most successful in the state and there are undoubtedly multiple well-qualified candidates to succeed Jim Matney.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • BigLew75

Joe Chirico
Negative he’s a great coach but don’t bring to the table what JC needs, JC has what they need already. They have 3 previous head coaches on the staff that weren’t no slouches as coordinators and a slew of coaches who have learned from the best to ever do it. We’ll be just fine. I’m sure we still neeed a few games if the tigers wanna schedule us Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gold River's post:
  • BigLew75
(12-04-2021, 02:50 PM)Gold River Wrote:

Joe Chirico
Negative he’s a great coach but don’t bring to the table what JC needs, JC has what they need already. They have 3 previous head coaches on the staff that weren’t no slouches as coordinators and a slew of coaches who have learned from the best to ever do it. We’ll be just fine. I’m sure we still neeed a few games if the tigers wanna schedule us Smile
Besides Jesse Ray and Scotty, who else was a head coach before?

Joe Chirico

Who are the former head coaches and what was their record as a head coach?  How many district titles, region titles, state titles, etc?  I think hiring Joe Chirico would be a home run hire. He is a great leader and proven winner. He is one of the top head coaches in the state and would continue what Matney built.
All I’m saying is that if Chirico is interested, at all, JC should listen. If the administration already has the replacement on staff, then I wish them all the best. Too many people still live in 1990s and think we are still football rivals. I want what is best for JC and I KNOW Chirico would continue the greatness. That’s all I’m saying. To say that he “doesn’t have what JC needs” is just utter nonsense. Matney and Chirico aren’t that dissimilar in coaching beliefs.
(12-04-2021, 03:12 PM)BBN2021 Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 01:13 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Joe Chirico

Who are the former head coaches and what was their record as a head coach?  How many district titles, region titles, state titles, etc?  I think hiring Joe Chirico would be a home run hire. He is a great leader and proven winner. He is one of the top head coaches in the state and would continue what Matney built.
Chirico is a good 1A coach, I don’t think he’s the answer for JC. Plus he isn’t going to move back to Johnson County. We need to hire a coach from within our program like Arms.

Everyone drop the Chirico stuff. He left Paintsville because of his every day job that supports his family, he didn’t have a choice. He didn’t leave to become the head coach at GRC. His job prevents him from coming back to Eastern Kentucky.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • BigLew75, eagle8966
Boyle's gotta be heavy favorite next year as well

Chirico is a good 1A coach, I don’t think he’s the answer for JC. Plus he isn’t going to move back to Johnson County. We need to hire a coach from within our program like Arms.