Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3A State Championship: Belfry vs. Paducah Tilghman
Rica, they have 3 really good backs. Not 1. Good luck.
No one that I know of in high school runs a offense like belfry, I’m sure they are other HS teams out there that does but I haven’t seen them, anyway getting back to belfry’s offense it’s a very very hard type offense to stop unless your very disciplined in your position on defense and even then you have to really stay focused on where the ball is going, even if you watch film on belfry and think well that’s nothing we will destroy them once you line-up against it for real it’s a hole new ballgame and very very hard to stop for any team, that being said I think belfry and PT has both made it when most thought they wouldn’t and it should be a high scoring game in my opinion. I think it will come down to which ever team makes the mistake first myself.

Prediction:>
Belfry 42
PT 28

Go Big Red
Don't know much about PT but could easily see this turning into what Belfry and Central was before they went to 4a. PT is loaded with athletes and from what I understand they have a lot of young talent just like Belfry.
Pirates 35-14
No one expected either team to be here. Both still have something to prove. I believe this might be 2nd best game of the weekend just behind LCA vs Beechwood. It will come down to who’s defense plays the biggest.
I have a lot of respect for both of these programs. Everyone knows these teams by name and their great history. I just love the story of #14 RPI vs #15 RPI playing in the state championship! This may be one of the higher scoring games played next weekend. I expect this game to be a great one! Good luck to both teams!
I don’t care who Glasgow’s RB is or how big he is. There is no comparison in 3A to Dixon.

With the emergence of Young and Hatfield, it only makes Dixon that much more lethal.

If we want to talk stats it is best to get the complete picture comparing a back to Dixon. For example the back from Glasgow not only has fewer yards, it took him nearly 50 more carries to get to that point. Dixon also did it in two less games against a superior schedule.

This doesn’t even take into account that Dixon also played QB for two games and basically only played half of those games due to cramps.

Tilghman may very well shut him down. I haven’t studied them too closely but anticipate I will see a ton of team speed and sideline to sideline pursuit. With that said, Dixon has seen some crazy talented defenses over his career at Belfry and fared well.

At the end of the day:
1. Who wins the LOS?
2. Who plays clean football and limits mistakes?
3. Who performs better on 3rd Down?

Whoever wins those questions above wins this game.
[-] The following 2 users Like EKUAlum05's post:
  • PirateNation71, skully03
(11-28-2021, 06:46 PM)Tica Wrote: I haven't seen a recent roster but I would assume Belfry outsizes PT at about every position. I'm not perfect either and I did not mean to imply that. I have typos too. Its just a name that is often spelled differently than it's pronunciation. I also grew up with an English teacher mom. Both teams have faced an improbable route to get to the finals. Two very different teams and styles of play.

I don't blame you on the pronunciation. I hate when the county I live in is called Whitely County.
(11-29-2021, 12:48 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 06:46 PM)Tica Wrote: I haven't seen a recent roster but I would assume Belfry outsizes PT at about every position. I'm not perfect either and I did not mean to imply that. I have typos too. Its just a name that is often spelled differently than it's pronunciation. I also grew up with an English teacher mom. Both teams have faced an improbable route to get to the finals. Two very different teams and styles of play.

I don't blame you on the pronunciation. I hate when the county I live in is called Whitely County.

Doug- What are you going to do this week with no Mayfield fans to get riled up?

My wife corrects me all the time, ?. I’m the world’s worst for getting in a hurry and misspelling something or typos. I honestly knew better. I have normal brain farts like 100 times a day lol.
(11-29-2021, 01:09 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

My wife corrects me all the time, ?. I’m the world’s worst for getting in a hurry and misspelling something or typos. I honestly knew better. I have normal brain farts like 100 times a day lol.

Just an OCD thing with people like me. it's a wonder I'm even here or able to spell. I was forced to learn  to spell and read. had it beat into me. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
(11-29-2021, 01:04 AM)Tica Wrote:

Belfry fans are easy to get riled. they probably already have steam coming out their noses. lol
(11-28-2021, 10:47 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: I don’t care who Glasgow’s RB is or how big he is. There is no comparison in 3A to Dixon.

With the emergence of Young and Hatfield, it only makes Dixon that much more lethal.

If we want to talk stats it is best to get the complete picture comparing a back to Dixon. For example the back from Glasgow not only has fewer yards, it took him nearly 50 more carries to get to that point. Dixon also did it in two less games against a superior schedule.

This doesn’t even take into account that Dixon also played QB for two games and basically only played half of those games due to cramps.

Tilghman may very well shut him down.  I haven’t studied them too closely but anticipate I will see a ton of team speed and sideline to sideline pursuit. With that said, Dixon has seen some crazy talented defenses over his career at Belfry and fared well.

At the end of the day:
1. Who wins the LOS?

The KHSAA does not put asterisks or explanations on stats. It is what it is. Otherwise - every player or coach would then have explanations as to why their stats were lower than they could or should have been. That's what boards like this are for-to support your favorite players and teams. I'm sure Dixon and the other rb's are as good as you say. They will soon have a public opportunity to prove it.
(11-29-2021, 04:39 PM)Tica Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 10:47 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: I don’t care who Glasgow’s RB is or how big he is. There is no comparison in 3A to Dixon.

Tilghman may very well shut him down.  I haven’t studied them too closely but anticipate I will see a ton of team speed and sideline to sideline pursuit. With that said, Dixon has seen some crazy talented defenses over his career at Belfry and fared well.

At the end of the day:
1. Who wins the LOS?

The KHSAA does not put asterisks or explanations on stats. It is what it is. Otherwise - every player or coach would then have explanations as to why their stats were lower than they could or should have been. That's what boards like this are for-to support your favorite players and teams. I'm sure Dixon and the other rb's are as good as you say. They will soon have a public opportunity to prove it.
What’s a “public opportunity”?   You lost me there..

I have to agree with EKU on the keys to the game.....turnovers, penalties and controlling the LOS.  All three will be huge components to determining the outcome.  With both teams having 6 losses....this is a hard game to get a good read on.  IMO, after watching some film, both teams have their strengths and weaknesses.    Belfry can’t afford to play behind the chains.  Tilghman’s balanced attack will definitely put pressure on The Pirate defense.     Gonna be interesting.

(11-29-2021, 02:33 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

Belfry fans are easy to get riled. they probably already have steam coming out their noses. lol
I actually think its just the normal snot  Smile  It is cold and flu season.  Heart
I think Paducah Tilghman wins it.
Belfry’s Defense has struggled with balanced teams that can throw and run well. Belfry’s defensive team speed isn’t what it usually is, they have a tendency to arm tackle and lack that over all nastiness. They have gotten better as the year has went on, but they sometimes look like they only play one half.

At this point Belfry’s offense is their best defense, keeping the ball for long sustained drives and the overall physicality of the offense wears down the opposing team.

After watching some film on PT, from what I could see they have good size and team speed. They spread the ball around and balance out both the pass and run. They have athletes and move to the ball well on Defense. A good comparison would be Pikeville.

Belfry will have to play a mistake free game and their Defense will have to make some plays. Belfry owes Tillman one. It was a great Tillman team in 1985 that beat Belfry in Haywood’s first ever State Championship appearance 29-14.

Belfry gets payback!

Belfry 35
Tillman 27
(11-29-2021, 08:04 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(11-29-2021, 04:39 PM)Tica Wrote:

At the end of the day:
1. Who wins the LOS?

What’s a “public opportunity”?   You lost me there..

I have to agree with EKU on the keys to the game.....turnovers, penalties and controlling the LOS.  All three will be huge components to determining the outcome.  With both teams having 6 losses....this is a hard game to get a good read on.  IMO, after watching some film, both teams have their strengths and weaknesses.    Belfry can’t afford to play behind the chains.  Tilghman’s balanced attack will definitely put pressure on The Pirate defense.     Gonna be interesting.

(11-29-2021, 02:33 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

I actually think its just the normal snot  Smile  It is cold and flu season.  Heart
A "public opportunity" is a football game scheduled for Saturday.
Belfry by 2 TDs. Both of these teams are similar to the NCC team in i think it was 2006 or 2007 that went 5-5 in the regular season against a brutal schedule. Only to win a title in the end. SOS is the difference in championship programs and everyone else.
(11-27-2021, 03:24 PM)bball_fan Wrote: I'd be surprised if any team in 3A this year would have won a game with Belfry's early schedule. 3A is way down. As for a passing team verse a ground and pound, if Belfry moves the ball... it will be difficult for Tilghman's offense to get in rhythm. However, Belfry have seen teams like this already this year with more talent than Tilghman has.

Pirates 42
Tornado 21
 Yeah becasue beating #1 Cal #2 Glasgow #6 Union County teams that are 32-6 combine are teams with no talent...lol
(11-30-2021, 02:10 PM)Spinado Wrote:
(11-27-2021, 03:24 PM)bball_fan Wrote: I'd be surprised if any team in 3A this year would have won a game with Belfry's early schedule. 3A is way down. As for a passing team verse a ground and pound, if Belfry moves the ball... it will be difficult for Tilghman's offense to get in rhythm. However, Belfry have seen teams like this already this year with more talent than Tilghman has.

Pirates 42
Tornado 21
 Yeah becasue beating #1 Cal #2 Glasgow #6 Union County teams that are 32-6 combine are teams with no talent...lol
Pulaski co
Covington Catholic 
Pikeville
Louisville Central 
Johnson Central
And even Lawrence co 

compared to those 2 teams. Come on you can’t be serious. I could care less where those teams are ranked in 3a. I’ve seen Union co and Glasgow........come on. I will give you credit for the CAL win though that’s very impressive.

Pirates 42
Tornado 21
Easy to play the win loss game when teams won’t play anybody that’s any good.
I can tell this thread is teetering on going off the rails. Posters are getting chippier and chippier.

Saturday will be interesting too say the least.
(11-30-2021, 03:42 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:

Pirates 42
Tornado 21
Pulaski co
Covington Catholic 
Pikeville
Louisville Central 
Johnson Central

And even Lawrence co 

compared to those 2 teams. Come on you can’t be serious. I could care less where those teams are ranked in 3a. I’ve seen Union co and Glasgow........come on. I will give you credit for the CAL win though that’s very impressive.

Pirates 42
Tornado 21

Honestly, listing a bunch of teams that beat Belfry by an average of 30+ isn't much of an argument.

On that note I still think Belfry wins this game.
(11-30-2021, 08:40 PM)Glory_Days Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:42 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:

Pirates 42
Tornado 21
Pulaski co
Covington Catholic 
Pikeville
Louisville Central 
Johnson Central

And even Lawrence co 

Pirates 42
Tornado 21

Honestly, listing a bunch of teams that beat Belfry by an average of 30+ isn't much of an argument.

On that note I still think Belfry wins this game.
Level of competition is their argument. So yes those teams are on a different level of competition than Glasgow and union county.
PT jus don’t know what’s about to hit them. Belfry wins comfortably. It’s called the Veer, and winning the line of scrimmage. Especially the second Half when you are wore down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HighViz's post:
  • skully03
(12-01-2021, 08:53 AM)HighViz Wrote: PT jus don’t know what’s about to hit them.  Belfry wins comfortably. It’s called the Veer, and winning the line of scrimmage.  Especially the second Half when you are wore down.

“I run 6 plays, split veer. like novocaine. Just give it time, it always works.”

[-] The following 1 user Likes skully03's post:
  • HighViz

Here is the link to the PT vs Glasgow game from last week. PT is athletic and the running back Malachi Rider runs hard. They have a lot of team speed. Belfry will have to play very good football to win Saturday. I think it will be a great game.
(12-01-2021, 08:53 AM)HighViz Wrote: PT jus don’t know what’s about to hit them.  Belfry wins comfortably. It’s called the Veer, and winning the line of scrimmage.  Especially the second Half when you are wore down.
 There is a way to stop the "veer"  DISCIPLINE!!!
(12-01-2021, 01:37 PM)Spinado Wrote:
After watching film we will be lucky to not get a running clock out on us. PT 42 Belfry 6. We don’t stand a chance. Too athletic and far superior to us in all aspects of the game. Just lucky and blessed to be on the same field as such great athletes and football players. Hopefully we can learn from this experience and grow.
(12-01-2021, 01:54 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 01:37 PM)Spinado Wrote:
After watching film we will be lucky to not get a running clock out on us. PT 42 Belfry 6. We don’t stand a chance. Too athletic and far superior to us in all aspects of the game. Just lucky and blessed to be on the same field as such great athletes and football players. Hopefully we can learn from this experience and grow.
 Makes me wonder if we should even waste our time driving to Lexington..... Big Grin
Anyone on here saying Glasgow isn’t a good team just doesn’t know football. I may be biased being a Glasgow fan but we beat Taylor Co. twice, the only team to beat Russellville who’s in the state finals and an undefeated Bardstown team with the top QB in 3a. What most of you don’t realize and I heard this from the coach speaking after the game was that out of 22 starters only 6 played all the games. Against PT we were down our fastest player, best linebacker and best lineman. I’m not taking anything away from PT because they have an outstanding team but our injuries caught up to us as two of those were injured in the game before against Bardstown. With that being said I don’t think Belfry has seen the team speed from all positions including lineman that PT will throw at them. I’d say PT by two scores