Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First RPI is out.
(09-21-2021, 06:35 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 06:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 04:25 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The most likely scenario after it all plays out, and boyle not losing, would be something along these lines but is not limited to
game 1 wayne home
2 knox home
3 JC at home
4 a team from hopkinsville at home
5 boyle state

This class is so stacked in a few districts it’s ridiculous or this schedule would be even worse.

Thanks so much.   So Corbin will have four home games and then the state final against Boyle?  That's kinda what I was thinking  just wasn't sure who the third and fourth game opponent would be.

That's only if the playoffs started today. You are right that Corbin will have 4 home games as long as we win out, but I'm not sold on Boyle being the top RPI just yet either. If they lose one game, after a Math guru just told me, then it all changes. Boyle is at there highest RPI right now, they will lose points every week. Wait and see. Corbin will climb every week. By the end of the last night like always we will know for sure who is on top. But if Boyle wins out, they will stay where they are at, the top. But I wouldn't rule Corbin out as the #1 seed until its set in stone.

Not sure Boyle can’t get higher. Lex Cath and Douglass are going to keep raising their opponents win percentage. While teams like Simon Kenton, Campbell, and Lincoln are going to continue to drop Corbins OPW. And that’s weighted the same as your own win percentage.
(09-21-2021, 08:39 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 04:25 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: The most likely scenario after it all plays out, and boyle not losing, would be something along these lines but is not limited to
game 1 wayne home
2 knox home
3 JC at home
5 boyle state

This class is so stacked in a few districts it’s ridiculous or this schedule would be even worse.

Thanks so much.   So Corbin will have four home games and then the state final against Boyle?  That's kinda what I was thinking  just wasn't sure who the third and fourth game opponent would be.

That's only if the playoffs started today. You are right that Corbin will have 4 home games as long as we win out, but I'm not sold on Boyle being the top RPI just yet either. If they lose one game, after a Math guru just told me, then it all changes. Boyle is at there highest RPI right now, they will lose points every week. Wait and see. Corbin will climb every week. By the end of the last night like always we will know for sure who is on top. But if Boyle wins out, they will stay where they are at, the top. But I wouldn't rule Corbin out as the #1 seed until its set in stone.

Not sure Boyle can’t get higher. Lex Cath and Douglass are going to keep raising their opponents win percentage. While teams like Simon Kenton, Campbell, and Lincoln are going to continue to drop Corbins OPW. And that’s weighted the same as your own win percentage.

Just be patient my friend. You are right it does do what you say, but I'll bet you a bologna sandwich to a glass of water there RPI will drop over the next 5 weeks and Corbins will raise over the next 5 weeks.
(09-21-2021, 08:56 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
game 1 wayne home
2 knox home
3 JC at home
5 boyle state

Just be patient my friend. You are right it does do what you say, but I'll bet you a bologna sandwich to a glass of water there RPI will drop over the next 5 weeks and Corbins will raise over the next 5 weeks.

I like water I’ll take ya up on it.
[-] The following 2 users Like FootballFan1999's post:
  • Bull got out!, Jack Lambert
(09-21-2021, 09:08 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 06:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Thanks so much.   So Corbin will have four home games and then the state final against Boyle?  That's kinda what I was thinking  just wasn't sure who the third and fourth game opponent would be.

Make sure its good bologna then, I like pickled bologna LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • FootballFan1999
Hold on I like water and pickled bologna too, bunch of fun suckerz

Honestly I don’t care about all this RPI crap either you good enough or your not, I get the home field advantage but I just don’t think it matters all that much for the teams that are good enough to get to Kroger. Besides I’m not ready for the playoffs / cold weather, still enjoying my pool, flip flops, the grill, shorts, etc…and we still haven’t got any of Dougie’s bbq.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-21-2021, 09:09 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 08:39 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: [quote="Bull got out!" pid="2325932" dateline="1632260151"]

Make sure its good bologna then, I like pickled bologna LOL
[/

I like it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bossdaddy 4115's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-21-2021, 03:20 PM)Hound05 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 11:53 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: RPI is broken.  Frankfort beat Paris by like 50 and Paris is rated higher in the RPI lmao.
No not really. Like everyone says, RPI isn’t meant for the beginning or even 2/3’s of a the season. The more you play, the more it accurate. But even a majority of systems or metrics wouldn’t be right after 4-5 games. I do believe it does need some tweaking. But it’s so much better than cross dristric’ing. Now you have title games that are awesome for the most part.
I don't agree. RPI holds up as long as you keep beating crappy big schools. I have 4 words for RPI. Kentucky. Effing. Country. Day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!
game 1 wayne home
2 knox home
3 JC at home
5 boyle state

Bull,   how would Corbin being the #1 seed instead of Boyle affect Corbin's playoff path(if at all) ?
(09-22-2021, 12:28 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 11:53 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: RPI is broken.  Frankfort beat Paris by like 50 and Paris is rated higher in the RPI lmao.
No not really. Like everyone says, RPI isn’t meant for the beginning or even 2/3’s of a the season. The more you play, the more it accurate. But even a majority of systems or metrics wouldn’t be right after 4-5 games. I do believe it does need some tweaking. But it’s so much better than cross dristric’ing. Now you have title games that are awesome for the most part.
I don't agree. RPI holds up as long as you keep beating crappy big schools. I have 4 words for RPI. Kentucky. Effing. Country. Day.
Hahah. Oh yea I remember. No system is perfect. Even the ole BCS was garbage half the time. They do need to find a way to add in SoS. But scheduling cupcakes always comes back to bite that team in the end. Just like KCD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • jetpilot
(09-22-2021, 01:16 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
game 1 wayne home
2 knox home
3 JC at home
5 boyle state

Bull,   how would Corbin being the #1 seed instead of Boyle affect Corbin's playoff path(if at all) ?

Honestly, this is a unusual year with the heavy hitters in the top 5. They have a loss or two and a lower RPI than normal other than Boyle. Being number 1 just means you will play the lowest RPI in both of the 3rd, 4th round games. Like last year as a example, Boyle played teams in round 3 and 4 and won by a margin of 30 plus points, well maybe they had one game cancelled due to covid but it probably would have been like that too. Then Johnson Central being the #2 seed last year had to play at home Corbin, Franklin County and then Boyle County. So it really makes your path a little easier to get to Kroger in most years. But like TDHounds said, you need to be able to beat anyone to be a champion. Thats usually what I have seen since the RPI has been in play and thats how Class 4A has seemed to work out so far. This year the sad thing is, a unusual suspect could get in the mix and with the big teams having more losses than normal, you could see for example like a Boyle/Franklin or Central as well if they stay the top seed. But who knows, we all will know after week 10. It just makes for good bologna sandwiches and passing out water till then lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • FootballFan1999
After looking at the schedule and the numbers. And keep in mind I’m far from a quantitative analyst, I’m gonna have to agree with bull. I think corbins will go up somewhat significantly while boyles might come down a tad. Simon Kenton, if we win, will give us the multiplier. But I focused on the OOWP. And I believe that might be where the difference could be. Corbins could shoot up while Boyle’s could come down. All the while, when disctrict starts both of OPW should relatively stay following each other.
I don't understand why everyone thinks Boyle's will go down while Corbin's goes up. Simon Kenton and Frederick Douglas are similar opponents. Lex Cath is higher than Wayne or Knox and Lincoln is having a terrible year. Boyle has to bead FD obviously and that's not a given. I just don't see a huge difference in their schedules.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(09-22-2021, 08:53 AM)BEChargers Wrote: I don't understand why everyone thinks Boyle's will go down while Corbin's goes up.  Simon Kenton and Frederick Douglas are similar opponents.  Lex Cath is higher than Wayne or Knox and Lincoln is having a terrible year.  Boyle has to bead FD obviously and that's not a given.  I just don't see a huge difference in their schedules.
I agree with everything you said. But it’s obviously a fluid situation, way more to it than just looking at it on the surface like that. I believe boyles OOWP will go down, and corbins up. That’s my thought why the overall will change.

At no point in a season should a team who lost to another team by 50 be ranked above that team.  If the rest of their games were cancelled for Covid, Paris would have a better rating than Frankfort, and that is as broken of a system as you can have. 

On top of that RPI only effects 2 rounds of playoffs, Regardless of RPI a good team in a good district has less chance of making it to RPI based games than a bad team in a bad district.  If you want to fix the system then you need to do away with inner district playoffs and seed the entire playoffs based off RPI.  In order to make that work you have to fix the RPI to begin with.
(09-21-2021, 02:36 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 12:09 PM)Red and Black Attack Wrote: I'm surprised Mayfield is #2 and Beechwood #3. Neither team will be challenged the rest of the way with only District games remaining with Beechwood playing 1a NCC and Mayfield playing 4a Madisonville to end the season. If the Tigers have to make that 5 hour trip to West Ky., then that could be a very interesting game in the semi's.

I’ve been saying it for a while, I think Mayfield goes Krogering, if Beechwood has to go to War Memorial, that’s about like practicing dentistry with a grizzly bear….

War Memorial or not Beechwood still beats Mayfield this year by 2-3 TDs.
(09-22-2021, 11:35 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

At no point in a season should a team who lost to another team by 50 be ranked above that team.  If the rest of their games were cancelled for Covid, Paris would have a better rating than Frankfort, and that is as broken of a system as you can have. 

On top of that RPI only effects 2 rounds of playoffs, Regardless of RPI a good team in a good district has less chance of making it to RPI based games than a bad team in a bad district.  If you want to fix the system then you need to do away with inner district playoffs and seed the entire playoffs based off RPI.  In order to make that work you have to fix the RPI to begin with.
Respectfully I’m just gonna have to disagree with your first paragraph. That’s like saying in a basketball game, a horrible team makes the first couple of shots and goes up 6 to 0 in the first few minutes of the game, against the best team out there. The rest of the first qtr, and the other 3 qtrs will come into effect, and the truth will emerge. Imagine doing an NCAA basketball tournament with 64 teams 8 games in the season, and all the teams that would make it and the ones who should being left out. The more data you put in, the more accurate. 

i don’t understand your last statement. How is it easier for a bad team to make it?
(09-21-2021, 06:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Thanks so much.   So Corbin will have four home games and then the state final against Boyle?  That's kinda what I was thinking  just wasn't sure who the third and fourth game opponent would be.

I agree the math doesn’t add up.

(09-22-2021, 08:53 AM)BEChargers Wrote: I don't understand why everyone thinks Boyle's will go down while Corbin's goes up. Simon Kenton and Frederick Douglas are similar opponents. Lex Cath is higher than Wayne or Knox and Lincoln is having a terrible year. Boyle has to bead FD obviously and that's not a given. I just don't see a huge difference in their schedules.

Boyle plays the tougher schedule over the next 5 weeks, Corbin’s just gets weaker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!

The RPI is terrible. Pikeville will beat KCD by 50. Its like this every year, its not even a strength of schedule rating it simply means
you play bigger schools in the classification system. Personally, I don't care this year, just line em up in Class 1A and Pikeville is gonna 
SMOKE them.
wolfcat posted: War Memorial or not Beechwood still beats Mayfield this year by 2-3 TDs.

Certainly possible, but, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. This Mayfield team is starting to find it's identity and they have a lot of athleticism and skill players. The lines on both sides of the ball have been a pleasant surprise, very solid fundamentally. I'd like to see there secondary not give up as many big plays, but, in most of those, the DBs were in good position and the WRs just made plays. Been solid vs the run all year. QB play has improved tremendously from last year. Cartwright's still just a sophomore, so, he still has room to get even better, but, he's starting to put together a nice season with a high completion rate and Galbreath in the backfield is one of the tougher runners you'll see.
Jack, last year we had a gauntlet of a schedule and with a loss had taken the top spot till our cancellation the last game of the season while Boyle was undefeated if I remember correctly. I will agree with you that Corbin's teams we play are down this year, but it doesn't matter how weak the team is or how good the team is, what matters is the class 1-6A. That's all that matters.

(09-21-2021, 07:47 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: Maybe we will get to see the Tigers here at War Memorial in November.

That could be a very realistic reality. I bet it will be a record crowd if it happens.
Before everyone starts making plans for a HS championship weekend in Lexington. let the season play out. Many of these comments will not age well.

Everyone is down on JC, but a month ago JC was king of the mountain (no pun intended). Franklin County still has Moorman and Boyle County continues to play its starting QB at LB.

It only takes 1 "off day" in the playoffs and the season is over. These are HS kids (in the case of Boyle - some college freshmen), a romantic break up turns their world upside down in a hurry. Franklin County, Central, Johnson Central and Lex Cath are all more than capable of beating anyone in 4A on a given night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iggyfan's post:
  • Hatz
(09-22-2021, 09:06 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: Before everyone starts making plans for a HS championship weekend in Lexington. let the season play out. Many of these comments will not age well.

Everyone is down on JC, but a month ago JC was king of the mountain (no pun intended). Franklin County still has Moorman and Boyle County continues to play its starting QB at LB.

It only takes 1 "off day" in the playoffs and the season is over. These are HS kids (in the case of Boyle - some college freshmen), a romantic break up turns their world upside down in a hurry.  Franklin County, Central, Johnson Central and Lex Cath are all more than capable of beating anyone in 4A on a given night.

You make a very good point. I really don't see anyone making any plans other than James Clay and he drinks water too. Not the first time I have saw a QB play on defense. Gillis is tuff. I agree, that Johnson Central, Franklin can beat anyone on a given night, but I'm not giving that credit to Lexington Catholic till they beat one of them. They will get there chance in 2 weeks with Boyle. If they can beat Boyle, then I will agree with you, not until then. I don't see any teams taking a day off, I just see them getting beat if they lose. Or getting smacked "OH Yeah" sounds better lol.
duplicate post - delete
I didn't promise Boyle would run the table. I think they beat LexCath but they had better bring their "A" game to beat Frederick Douglas. I simply said if both Boyle and Corbin win out I didn't really see how Boyle would drop in the RPI. Winning out is not a given, nor is winning the first 4 rounds of the playoffs. It will all shake out eventually. I still think Franklin will be a real tough out, I hate it for what JC is going through right now but having your HC fighting for his life can bring a team to a new level of motivation and I still think Corbin's the team to beat in 4A this year.

Things will shake out, but nobody is guarantying a State Crown so the posts will age poorly is a bit of an overreaction.
[-] The following 2 users Like BEChargers's post:
  • Bull got out!, Jack Lambert
(09-22-2021, 04:48 PM)Hound05 Wrote:

Respectfully I’m just gonna have to disagree with your first paragraph. That’s like saying in a basketball game, a horrible team makes the first couple of shots and goes up 6 to 0 in the first few minutes of the game, against the best team out there. The rest of the first qtr, and the other 3 qtrs will come into effect, and the truth will emerge. Imagine doing an NCAA basketball tournament with 64 teams 8 games in the season, and all the teams that would make it and the ones who should being left out. The more data you put in, the more accurate. 

i don’t understand your last statement. How is it easier for a bad team to make it?

Huh?

How is losing a football game by 50 pts equivalent to going down 6 pts in the 1st quarter of a basketball game?

It's obvious the more data points the better, but I can tell you your system is broke if 2 weeks ago we lined up and played head to head and I beat you by 50 and today you are ranked ahead of me. Any way you want to slice it.

As for the last statement, let me give you an example Marion County, Spencer County, Louisville Moore and Valley are in District 3.  None of those teams would likely win a game in district 7 or District 5.  So those are all bad teams in a bad district.  However, 1 of those teams will make it to RPI play because the first 2 rounds of playoffs are inner district.  Now, in adverse either Boyle County or Catholic, both of which would run through district 3 many times over, one of those team will not make it to RPI play because they have to play each other in inner district playoffs.  Which means that one of their RPI's that they worked for all season matters nothing.

Hence a Bad team in a Bad district is rewarded and a good team in a good district is punished.
(09-22-2021, 12:25 PM)wolfcat Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 12:09 PM)Red and Black Attack Wrote: I'm surprised Mayfield is #2 and Beechwood #3. Neither team will be challenged the rest of the way with only District games remaining with Beechwood playing 1a NCC and Mayfield playing 4a Madisonville to end the season. If the Tigers have to make that 5 hour trip to West Ky., then that could be a very interesting game in the semi's.

I’ve been saying it for a while, I think Mayfield goes Krogering, if Beechwood has to go to War Memorial, that’s about like practicing dentistry with a grizzly bear….

Woah  Beats Mayfield by 2-3 TDs based on what exactly?  Other than that being your opinion, everybody has one, there is no data I have found that seperates them and their schedules appear very similar
(09-23-2021, 09:18 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

Huh?

How is losing a football game by 50 pts equivalent to going down 6 pts in the 1st quarter of a basketball game?

It's obvious the more data points the better, but I can tell you your system is broke if 2 weeks ago we lined up and played head to head and I beat you by 50 and today you are ranked ahead of me. Any way you want to slice it.

As for the last statement, let me give you an example Marion County, Spencer County, Louisville Moore and Valley are in District 3.  None of those teams would likely win a game in district 7 or District 5.  So those are all bad teams in a bad district.  However, 1 of those teams will make it to RPI play because the first 2 rounds of playoffs are inner district.  Now, in adverse either Boyle County or Catholic, both of which would run through district 3 many times over, one of those team will not make it to RPI play because they have to play each other in inner district playoffs.  Which means that one of their RPI's that they worked for all season matters nothing.

Hence a Bad team in a Bad district is rewarded and a good team in a good district is punished.
As for the statements about the 50 point win, the next 5 weeks the amount of opponents winning percentage and opponents opponents winning percentage will award the high rpi for all classes. For example, if everyone had a ten win season, at the end of the year the opponents win column would have 100 games to go off of, and the OOWP would have 1000 games to go off of. So there’s a lot more to factor in. As of now we are 5 weeks in and both paris and frankfort, to use in your example, have 5 games, EXCEPT paris had a covid loss. That means that frankfort has theoretically 25 games in the OWP and 125 in the OOWP while paris has less substantially. Time will turn that number around. 

By the way, it was a 27 point game in the first game of the season. There’s been many cases of a team getting better as the year goes on and a team getting worse. Frankfort has lost 2 games to other opponents, Paris has one real loss to frankfort and won against better opponents. Take is as you be.
(09-23-2021, 03:41 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 09:18 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 03:20 PM)Hound05 Wrote: No not really. Like everyone says, RPI isn’t meant for the beginning or even 2/3’s of a the season. The more you play, the more it accurate. But even a majority of systems or metrics wouldn’t be right after 4-5 games. I do believe it does need some tweaking. But it’s so much better than cross dristric’ing. Now you have title games that are awesome for the most part.

Huh?

As for the statements about the 50 point win, the next 5 weeks the amount of opponents winning percentage and opponents opponents winning percentage will award the high rpi for all classes. For example, if everyone had a ten win season, at the end of the year the opponents win column would have 100 games to go off of, and the OOWP would have 1000 games to go off of. So there’s a lot more to factor in. As of now we are 5 weeks in and both paris and frankfort, to use in your example, have 5 games, EXCEPT paris had a covid loss. That means that frankfort has theoretically 25 games in the OWP and 125 in the OOWP while paris has less substantially. Time will turn that number around. 

By the way, it was a 27 point game in the first game of the season. There’s been many cases of a team getting better as the year goes on and a team getting worse. Frankfort has lost 2 games to other opponents, Paris has one real loss to frankfort and won against better opponents. Take is as you be.
They will still receive a .5 op and a .5 oop for the loss, what they will lose is the wp and it will be calculated as a 0 due to the loss. What your saying would be true if they didn’t receive anything for the loss, as far as their rpi they sacrifice.35 of overall for that game but will get a .5 in both of the other categories for infinity. In most cases that is better than they would get playing an average team, and getting beat. I think khsaa made this variable because no team wants to lose a game over the virus and it helps both teams and doesn’t punish the loser as bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bossdaddy 4115's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-23-2021, 03:23 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote:

Woah  Beats Mayfield by 2-3 TDs based on what exactly?  Other than that being your opinion, everybody has one, there is no data I have found that seperates them and their schedules appear very similar

Just from what I've seen. 
Ill go ahead and call it now
Beechies 41-27
(09-24-2021, 07:55 AM)wolfcat Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 03:23 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote:

Just from what I've seen. 
Ill go ahead and call it now
Beechies 41-27
10/4 was just wondering what your thinking was