Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
43.75%
Mayfield
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 2A State Championship: Somerset vs Mayfield
Spent some time looking at the rosters listed on khsaa website... i didnt realize how small we were...
270 , 250, 240. Then the next largest guy is 225 then Jackson our rb... this game will be david vs goliath , good lord... somerset is gonna make us earn it..after watching somset vs bc .. the obvious thing is going to be hitting the mid slants an gashing secondary... even the long ball i may be fooled but i dont see somerset matching our speed after some clips.. not talking bout just one guy either.. we posess 5-6 targets that can all fly an qb reads the entire field really well. Its not as if he is locking onto one target an from the way i seen on the bc game.. the deep ball will come.. its definitely going to be hard running on Somerset tho , hopfully we can keep the passing going an get our backs freed up..somersets plan should be to protect the pass at all cost and hope their line can man handle ours on their own an force us to try to run through the line..
It seems like this is new information for you... Mayfield has been the "david" for at least as long as I've been around (2009) and I don't imagine it was any different the decades before that.
CS17 Wrote:It seems like this is new information for you... Mayfield has been the "david" for at least as long as I've been around (2009) and I don't imagine it was any different the decades before that.

In the 70’s Mayfield was as big and strong as anyone. Hardly a David situation then.
Hatz Wrote:In the 70’s Mayfield was as big and strong as anyone. Hardly a David situation then.

Correct. In the 70's and 80's, Coach Jack Morris liked to run it, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Coach Leahy opened it up a little more during his tenue from 93 to 98, but, now, Coach Joe and staff have really opened it up and taken the air attack to a whole new level, especially since the late 00's. The defenses of those earlier era teams were also typically very stout. More physical than finesse.
Hatz Wrote:In the 70’s Mayfield was as big and strong as anyone. Hardly a David situation then.

This isn't a jab... just a legit question.

In your mind, why has this been flipped recently? Maybe some other Mayfield posters can answer this too. The style of offense doesn't change the demographics of the players...the coaching staff has obviously had to adapt to being the "david" as of late. Why does Mayfield seem so much smaller than teams each week?
CS17 Wrote:This isn't a jab... just a legit question.

In your mind, why has this been flipped recently? Maybe some other Mayfield posters can answer this too. The style of offense doesn't change the demographics of the players...the coaching staff has obviously had to adapt to being the "david" as of late. Why does Mayfield seem so much smaller than teams each week?

The water only provides athleticism and not size. Has to be the water.
Seriously, big lineman are nice but only if they can move. The offense we run now requires mobile lineman.
CS17 Wrote:This isn't a jab... just a legit question.

Their lines led by the Prince kid imposed their will often allowing Marcus Miss and Parrot to run their wishbone.

They were good size in the 80’s as well. Don’t know the answer as to why they are different today.
In the 70's, they threw the ball 5-6 times a game, maybe 10 on a good night. Even when they had David Fowler and Joe Ford, they ran the ball 90% of the time. Most of the QBs they had in the 70's and 80's were more game managers than anything. Also, it seemed like they had a plethora of outstanding running backs all through those years, usually 3 or 4 on every one of those teams. It was successful, so, why mess with success. You also have to take in consideration, in those days, there was no Graves Co HS. The 7 county schools didn't have football programs, so, while they were a 2a sized school, they drew a lot of kids from the county who wanted to play football that transferred in. Once the 90's rolled around, the schools enrollment took a big decline. Kids were staying at Graves Co and enrollment went from 600-800 in the top 4 grades to about 400, even less a few of those years. They went to 1a in 95 and while they still had great skill kids, the numbers were down, so, depth and size took a hit. It really changed philosophy when Hatchell took over as offensive coordinator. Luke Guhy was QB and Xavier Shelton was a D1 talent at WR. Seems like since those days, they've been fortunate to have had a string of QBs that could really sling it and throwing the ball helped them take advantage of there athletes and take some pressure off those smaller, less deep lines.
Well, it appears adversity has already struck with the Cards.... their bus has broke down an is currently on the side of the road on I-69 just outside of princeton ky.....
..... might be a looooong night..
ontopofthewest Wrote:Well, it appears adversity has already struck with the Cards.... their bus has broke down an is currently on the side of the road on I-69 just outside of princeton ky.....

Not a good start
ontopofthewest Wrote:Well, it appears adversity has already struck with the Cards.... their bus has broke down an is currently on the side of the road on I-69 just outside of princeton ky.....

That's no good. I don't want anyone to have any trouble with the traveling to or from the game. Hope y'all get it going quickly.
It won't be a problem. They had two buses.
Hatz Wrote:Their lines led by the Prince kid imposed their will often allowing Marcus Miss and Parrot to run their wishbone.

They were good size in the 80’s as well. Don’t know the answer as to why they are different today.

Joe Prince. I think he played at U.K. but not sure. He coached Owensboro High School. He now coaches the Gar-Field Indians in Va.

He had a lineman camp called Hawg Heaven. My son really liked it.
Has anyone heard if they have it going yet..? I dont like them getting there so late..it would be 9 -10 by the time they get there then kids will be up all night..
Only the 1 bus has made it so far. The others had to wait on school bus from Mayfield to come get them. They should be in Lexington by 11 or 12 hopefully
It is my understanding that all is well with the buses. I understand Caldwell County loaned us a bus.
Somerset 24
Mayfield 21
Dam*n is there a free radio broadcast of the game??!!
wymc should have one...I just saw a post on facebook that had a "in stadium" broadcast 90.9 FM
106.1 out of Somerset

Must be some kind of a jinx for folks from far western ky to break down there that's attending State games in Lexington. Brother broke down outside of princeton in about 95 on that parkway in his nova coming back from state basketball tournament. His breakdown was his fault though.
Ok using TuneIn app I found WYMC has a pregame show talking football on 93.9
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)