Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class A Semifinals Louisville Holy Cross @ Pikeville
Gus McCrae Wrote:Yeah. That was a good team back in the day. If i'm not mistaken, Danny Passidomo was a RB on that team, and the late Gene Pinson QB ? I remember Pat McNamee being one of the linemen too. May be wrong on some of these. I checked with the KHSAA web site, and just got limited info. of past Pikeville team's D stats. In 1987 there were 35 fumble recoveries for the season. That would average 3.5 fumbles per game, and in 1988 that team allowed 1,100 yds. per season. I assume that's a 10 game season. If so, of course that would be allowing 10 pts. per game. Those two teams (87 & 88 were part of the "Big Dawg D" defense. Would like to have found more info, like stats per game, but that was I could come up at this time.

Danny was the RB on the 83 and 84 teams, also Paul Kimberlain and Dane Collins. QB in 83 was Barry Birchfield. Paul Todd Case was the 84 QB. Gene Pinson was the 85 QB and I think 86?

Line in 83 was Jimmy Cauley, Wayne T Rutherford, Jr, and I’d have to think on some of the others. I believe Dean Scott was one.
pjdoug Wrote:And a U? lol

Lol ! Maybe.:popcorn:
PHSForever Wrote:Danny was the RB on the 83 and 84 teams, also Paul Kimberlain and Dane Collins. QB in 83 was Barry Birchfield. Paul Todd Case was the 84 QB. Gene Pinson was the 85 QB and I think 86?

Line in 83 was Jimmy Cauley, Wayne T Rutherford, Jr, and I’d have to think on some of the others. I believe Dean Scott was one.

Yep. Forgot about a lot of those players. Haven't heard those names in years, I remember Gene Pinson playing up to 1986, then Matt Blair in 1987.
Aww c’mon now Spud. What BlueBird said was off topic, but funny. I wasn’t even mad. Lol
Me either but I did think it was funny when he misspelled does
Old one Wrote:The 1978 Panther team gave up 99 points in a 10 game regular season for 9.9 per game and two of those games were 20 point opponent scores where the starters were dressed at halftime. The Swarm as it was named in AA competition. With that said there are probably more teams that had good defenses and it's only a part of the Panther Tradition!

I remember the swarm defense and some of the players that made up that unit. If i'm not mistaken, the offense was coined "The Maroon Monsoon". That was a good team with some great players.
Pikeville - 44
Holy Cross - 12
PHS 95 lead the state for YEARS in margin of victory and yards....
No offense to Nicholas, but a different intensity in practice this week. A different look in the kids eyes. A different sense of urgency and focus from the staff. Cliche but I can feel it coming in the air.....
PHSForever Wrote:Aww c’mon now Spud. What BlueBird said was off topic, but funny. I wasn’t even mad. Lol

Did Spud remove my wise crack? 😂Come On Spud! We can still poke at each other!
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Did Spud remove my wise crack? 😂Come On Spud! We can still poke at each other!

That’s on me fellas. Thanksgiving I guess has me in my soft feels.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Good luck this Friday night Pikeville and a happy Thanksgiving!! :Cheerlead
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Did Spud remove my wise crack? 😂Come On Spud! We can still poke at each other!

I know we can because I went to the Paintsville thread and put on it in retaliation to Blue-Bird quote, but it was just in fun and didn’t bother me in the least. For one reason I know he knew better and he was just trying to get the thread going. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
Thanksgiving practice this morning was definitely a different feel. Love this time of year. Panthers looked really dialed in.
Spud6 Wrote:That’s on me fellas. Thanksgiving I guess has me in my soft feels.

No problem Spud! Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I also hope Pikeville fans eat so much they get so lazy they’re unable to get on BGR this weekend and boast about their Panthers! Get your belly’s full Boas!!!
Micro-Brew Wrote:No offense to Nicholas, but a different intensity in practice this week. A different look in the kids eyes. A different sense of urgency and focus from the staff. Cliche but I can feel it coming in the air.....

I was hoping I would hear something like this... this is a great sign, this team dialed in is a dangerous thing.
PHSForever and Gus McCrae, I came across some notes a family member had on the 1983 “Goose Egg Gang.” Great that you guys are paying homage to the “old-timers.” This veers off the game thread a bit, but …

Panthers allowed only 60 points during the 11-0 regular season, with the D posting seven “goose eggs.” First round was another shutout of Virgie. Most points allowed were 25 in the regional final (2nd round) loss to state runner-up Cumberland.

Backfield was as you mentioned PHSF. OL: C - Dean Scott; G - Jimmy Cauley and Russell Reed; T - John Friend and Chris Canada; TE/PK - Randy Richards; SE/QB - Richard Justice (filled in at QB for three games when Birchfield broke his hand vs. Whitesburg). No notes on who filled in for Passidomo for the three games he missed due to cracked ribs. Coach Howard’s ’83 4-4 split defense: T - Mark Blevins and Kimberlain. E - Friend and Canada. Sorry, no info on 4 LBs, CBs or S. Backfield played both ways too?

Paul Kimberlain finished the year with 1600+ yds. rushing, 24 TDs and was one of the state’s leading scorers with 152 pts. Both he and Dean Scott made the Courier-Journal Class A all-state team. Hope these bring back some memories. Good luck tonight.

Pikeville 42 - Holy Cross 7
Best of luck Pikeville. Take care of business and let’s meet at Kroger field. Go Panthers. Go Pirates!!!
It’s here Panthers game day, the game you guys have been waiting for to get back to where you guys want to be. So buckle up and take care of business. It’s not going to be easy this Holly Cross team is good but have all the confidence in the Maroon brothers in the world. As the old saying goes do your jobs and it will be fine. 7:30 you guys (seniors) play your last game on Hambley and for the rest of you the last game this year so make it a great one and have fun. All gas no brakes has been a saying for you guys so you guys get at it. As always GO Panthers!!!
Where has Holy Cross' improvement came from this year? They have been very average going back to 2012 being exactly .500 up to this year. Looks like they have a nice 3 headed monster of a running game. 2 of those kids are juniors. Did they improve substantially this year?
E's Army Wrote:Where has Holy Cross' improvement came from this year? They have been very average going back to 2012 being exactly .500 up to this year. Looks like they have a nice 3 headed monster of a running game. 2 of those kids are juniors. Did they improve substantially this year?

Well E’s Army, personally I not know them from the past but have watched some film on them this year. The quarterback runs extremely well as does one of their running backs. The quarterback throws the ball on the move really well plus some from the pocket. They have some good receivers that catch the ball good and make runs after the catch. Defensively they get to the ball quick and the defensive line get to the quarterback. Their worst loss came to Paducah Tilghman and North Oldham but against Paducah they moved the ball really well but couldn’t put in the end zone when it mattered. Didn’t see the Oldham game. They run just about everything and are a well rounded team but in saying all that Pikeville can win this game by how much that’s to be seen. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
Spud6 Wrote:That’s on me fellas. Thanksgiving I guess has me in my soft feels.

It also has him in bigger britches!!!
Confusednicker:

Good luck Pikeville!!! Cheering you on from Harlan Co.
Let's Go, Panthers! #HailPikeville #UnfinishedBusiness

nemo Wrote:PHSForever and Gus McCrae, I came across some notes a family member had on the 1983 “Goose Egg Gang.” Great that you guys are paying homage to the “old-timers.” This veers off the game thread a bit, but …

Panthers allowed only 60 points during the 11-0 regular season, with the D posting seven “goose eggs.” First round was another shutout of Virgie. Most points allowed were 25 in the regional final (2nd round) loss to state runner-up Cumberland.

Backfield was as you mentioned PHSF. OL: C - Dean Scott; G - Jimmy Cauley and Russell Reed; T - John Friend and Chris Canada; TE/PK - Randy Richards; SE/QB - Richard Justice (filled in at QB for three games when Birchfield broke his hand vs. Whitesburg). No notes on who filled in for Passidomo for the three games he missed due to cracked ribs. Coach Howard’s ’83 4-4 split defense: T - Mark Blevins and Kimberlain. E - Friend and Canada. Sorry, no info on 4 LBs, CBs or S. Backfield played both ways too?

Paul Kimberlain finished the year with 1600+ yds. rushing, 24 TDs and was one of the state’s leading scorers with 152 pts. Both he and Dean Scott made the Courier-Journal Class A all-state team. Hope these bring back some memories. Good luck tonight.

Pikeville 42 - Holy Cross 7

CBs were Richard Justice, Birchfield (safety when he played), Passidomo (when he wasn’t hurt) and I will have to think more on the rest, could have played Kelvin Mullins and Charlie Brown some at CB that year. Both would have been juniors who definitely played there as seniors. I know OLB Dane Collins was one of LBs. He also played a lot of DE. Canada was never anything but a T, Kimberlain was DE. Robbie Neeley played some at DT/NG. Jimmy Cauley went both ways when needed as well as Friend, Canada, Reed, etc. had a lot of depth on that team. Almost forgot Kris “Bimbo” Fields at DE.
I wonder if holy Cross needs a place to do pre game?
Ballbuster Wrote:I wonder if holy Cross needs a place to do pre game?

Not sure. I do know that JC has been a class act to offer up their field for any traveling team coming into the area to better prep on, before playing a fellow mountain team.
Also Good luck to the Panthers tonight! Eastern KY fans have been hoping for a Mountain 1A Shootout in Lexington all season!!! Let’s give it to em!
Ballbuster Wrote:I wonder if holy Cross needs a place to do pre game?

Should be somewhere with turf. I am sure you could find a place that would be happy to help.
Blue bird69 defending pikeville now that’s funny.
Ballbuster Wrote:Blue bird69 defending pikeville now that’s funny.

Never said “Pikeville”. Just replied to a comment, by saying JC has been known for being generous in helping teams traveling into the mountains to play. Is that not what you were hinting at offering in your previous comment?