Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 67 Ridgeview, VA 28
The comparison between the 2015 Panthers and the 2019 Panthers do have some similarities. They both were a senior lead team with a sophomore quarterback. We can argue back an forth who was the best team but it will never get changed how any one feels about it. So all I have to say is 2015 was a great team that won a championship but the 2019 team hasn’t yet but they have a chance. I believe if they play the game they are capable of they can reach that goal but it’s on them not us posters so all I can do is cheer for them and believe in them. As always GO PANTHERS!!!
2000PHS Wrote:I don’t care what some computer tells me. Give me Pugh and this 2019 teams stays on defense all night and can’t put up 30 points.

Plus I think the caliber of oppents 2015 is much tougher. Healthy 2015 Paintsville and Beechwood were better than this years Paintsville and NCC.

1. Pugh will always be one of my favorite RBs ever at Pikeville but 2019 Pikeville just put up 67 points vs. a RB with multiple P5 D1 offers who has rushed for zillions of yards and touchdowns.

2. NCC has nothing to do with anything.

3. This team went undefeated playing many more highly ranked teams than the 2015 team went 8-2 against in regular season.

4. EKU05 who knows his football despite being a Belfry fan (:biggrinSmile said Pikeville was probably the best small-school team in the state (1A-3A). Calpreps agrees at this point. 2015 team only made it to #30 statewide after beating Beechwood for the title. This team is currently sitting at #9 overall.

5. My highly-trained expert eyes see weapons all over the field this year and the best defense Pikeville has put on the field in quite some time.

Patriot's post puts everything in perspective though. This is all in fun and 2019 Pikeville still has much work to do.
jetpilot Wrote:1. Pugh will always be one of my favorite RBs ever at Pikeville but 2019 Pikeville just put up 67 points vs. a RB with multiple P5 D1 offers who has rushed for zillions of yards and touchdowns.

2. NCC has nothing to do with anything.

3. This team went undefeated playing many more highly ranked teams than the 2015 team went 8-2 against in regular season.

4. EKU05 who knows his football despite being a Belfry fan (:biggrinSmile said Pikeville was probably the best small-school team in the state (1A-3A). Calpreps agrees at this point. 2015 team only made it to #30 statewide after beating Beechwood for the title. This team is currently sitting at #9 overall.

5. My highly-trained expert eyes see weapons all over the field this year and the best defense Pikeville has put on the field in quite some time.

Patriot's post puts everything in perspective though. This is all in fun and 2019 Pikeville still has much work to do.

Ridgeview had a legit Power 5 RB and 10 dudes. Paintsville went on the road with a freshman QB and beat the team that beat them.

If you don’t think 2015 beat better teams then okay. Let’s just agree to disagree.

Once Pikeville broke out the I formation in 2015 it was all over for class A teams
That 2015 team was loaded for sure. If not, they would not have won it all. Darric Pugh was a hoss, no doubt and I was as big a fan of his as much as any. Really glad he was on that team and loved the way he ran the ball. Playmakers like Derrick Sword, Chatlin Jarrell, Vanderbeck, the Charles brothers, and others made up an exciting team to watch. Not to mention QB Wyatt Battaile, wow! He really came into being as the season progressed. I think this season's schedule was a little stronger in comparison as well. Really doesn't matter which one was the best team when it comes down to it. Jmo, this one is stronger, and really look to see them at Kroger Field.
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:That 2015 team was loaded for sure. If not, they would not have won it all. Darric Pugh was a hoss, no doubt and I was as big a fan of his as much as any. Really glad he was on that team and loved the way he ran the ball. Playmakers like Derrick Sword, Chatlin Jarrell, Vanderbeck, the Charles brothers, and others made up an exciting team to watch. Not to mention QB Wyatt Battaile, wow! He really came into being as the season progressed. I think this season's schedule was a little stronger in comparison as well. Really doesn't matter which one was the best team when it comes down to it. Jmo, this one is stronger, and really look to see them at Kroger Field.

Correction; Typed Derrick Sword. Should have listed Andrew McNamee instead.
Ok my opinion on 2015 vs 2019. First 2019 needs to win championship this year. And they should.
2015 team Wyatt didn’t start qb until Paintsvile loss in overtime. That change with couple others changed that team.
The 2015 Belfry and Paintsvile teams who beat Pikeville would beat 2019 Belfry and Paintsvile teams by at least 21. The Beechwood 2015 team would also beat the 2018 Beechwood team. The 2015 team was deep and had subs that played a lot that were seniors and juniors.
2019 team is a senior filled team that has always been successful. Total team speed second to none and a defense that is stout and has played together for 3 years. This team just has more youth and some inexperience starting.
I just think overall the age all starters except Wyatt were seniors and juniors, power and depth of 2015 edges the 2019 team and all their speed. Both teams hopefully will go down as two of the best to ever play for Pikeville. Only time will tell. And this is just my opinion. I love the Panthers and boys from both teams. The same thing happened to the 2015 team when they won the championship. Wanting to compare 2015 to the 80’s. It’s all in fun and just glad we have a school who wins championships to be able to do this.

Also I think the best Pikeville team in last few years was the undefeated 2014 team with Estep, Skeens, Pugh and company. They beat a great Belfry team and broke their winning streak. This team boosted the fan support even more. Just couldn’t finish. But built the fire of 2015
2000PHS Wrote:Ridgeview had a legit Power 5 RB and 10 dudes. Paintsville went on the road with a freshman QB and beat the team that beat them.

If you don’t think 2015 beat better teams then okay. Let’s just agree to disagree.

Once Pikeville broke out the I formation in 2015 it was all over for class A teams

It's already over for Class A this year.
I agree Pikevilles the favorite. But they beat Raceland and Paintsville by a combined 9 points. Far from over, imo. And both teams werent healthy either.
jetpilot Wrote:It's already over for Class A this year.

Ok I was mad and I take this back lol. It's never over until it's over but what a great Pikeville team and I am loving getting geared up for a very exciting run for hopefully another state championship.:Cheerlead:popcorn:
Lol I will say I watched both the Raceland and Belfry game. That was two totally different Pikeville squads. But the Pikeville squad I saw against Raceland, was the same I saw against Paintsville and even though the score was much different it was the same squad i saw against Hazard. Which leads me to believe that this Pikeville team isnt as focused as the '15 Panthers.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I agree Pikevilles the favorite. But they beat Raceland and Paintsville by a combined 9 points. Far from over, imo. And both teams werent healthy either.

If you are comparing early September with late November you shouldn't be on here talking football. No Class A team coming into Pikeville and winning this year. No way no how.
jetpilot Wrote:If you are comparing early September with late November you shouldn't be on here talking football. No Class A team coming into Pikeville and winning this year. No way no how.

You would think 2014 would end this type of crazy talk but I’ll admit, I respect your consistency.
1995... AWESOME line and defense. MIXED with Pikeville’s all time leading rusher and a good QB
Hambley Wrote:1995... AWESOME line and defense. MIXED with Pikeville’s all time leading rusher and a good QB

RB had to be the late Brent Coleman or Jon Chapman. QB Doug Powers ?
2000PHS Wrote:You would think 2014 would end this type of crazy talk but I’ll admit, I respect your consistency.

Thanks for making my point for me. Paintsville in November was not Paintsville of early September. And if you think I'm crazy to think Pikeville will not lose on their home field in the playoffs then so be it.
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:RB had to be the late Brent Coleman or Jon Chapman. QB Doug Powers ?

Brent Coleman, Eddie Deramus and John Hatfield RBs and Jonathan Pruitt QB? That was a great team. Found an old video of Pikeville going to Bluefield in 1995 and demolishing the #1 team in all Classes in WV.
^^^That does look like Powers at QB in the video so I may be a year off on the backfield lol...The backfield in my post was one of my favorites and the lost a heartbreaker in the last seconds of semifinals going in for the winning score after running all over Beechwood the whole game.
jetpilot Wrote:Thanks for making my point for me. Paintsville in November was not Paintsville of early September. And if you think I'm crazy to think Pikeville will not lose on their home field in the playoffs then so be it.

It is crazy to think it is impossible that they can’t lose. We are talking Class A football where one injury changes everything.

I don’t want to go back and look but I’m sure it was “impossible” in 2014 as well. Pikeville has improved since September, so have other teams. It would be an upset if a team beat Pikeville, but not Buster Douglas vs Tyson level upset.
Pikeville wins every game in the 1A playoffs by 20+, who's stopping them GO PANTHERS:1:
2000PHS Wrote:It is crazy to think it is impossible that they can’t lose. We are talking Class A football where one injury changes everything.

I don’t want to go back and look but I’m sure it was “impossible” in 2014 as well. Pikeville has improved since September, so have other teams. It would be an upset if a team beat Pikeville, but not Buster Douglas vs Tyson level upset.

I didn't say impossible I said no way it happens. There is a difference.
Another way to say it is it's possible they lose in the playoffs at home this year but it's not happening. That's my strong opinion and we get to see this month if I am right or wrong. Now on to this week, it really is impossible that Pikeville doesn't advance. TongueirateSho
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't say impossible I said no way it happens. There is a difference.
Another way to say it is it's possible they lose in the playoffs at home this year but it's not happening. That's my strong opinion and we get to see this month if I am right or wrong. Now on to this week, it really is impossible that Pikeville doesn't advance. TongueirateSho

KHSAA could rule them ineligible for post season play ☺️
jetpilot Wrote:

Brent Coleman, Eddie Deramus and John Hatfield RBs and Jonathan Pruitt QB? That was a great team. Found an old video of Pikeville going to Bluefield in 1995 and demolishing the #1 team in all Classes in WV.

Got that same video, jp. (youtube) Your right , they laid it on Bluefield WV, who had no answer for the Panthers. Deramus was built like a lineman with tons of speed. Team nicknamed Coleman and Deramus ''Thunder and Lightning''. One of the best teams in PHS history.
jetpilot Wrote:

Pruitt and Hatfield were Seniors with me in ‘94. That team had a pretty good backup nose guard as well...😜 Pikeville played Bluefield the year after we graduated in 95.
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't say impossible I said no way it happens. There is a difference.

“No way no how” equals impossible in my thesaurus.
2000PHS Wrote:“No way no how” equals impossible in my thesaurus.

Get a new one.
Plus I forgot to mention since you got into the business of comparing scores and determined Ridgeview was just a P5 D1 and 10 dudes.....Pikeville beat the team 42-0 that beat Paintsville.
jetpilot Wrote:Get a new one.
Plus I forgot to mention since you got into the business of comparing scores and determined Ridgeview was just a P5 D1 and 10 dudes.....Pikeville beat the team 42-0 that beat Paintsville.

No mine is fine. You just got carried away and are trying to walk it back a touch.

Paintsville was a shell of the team that Pikeville played in September. Freshman Qb making his first career start on the road and Allen DNP the 2nd half. Hopefully one of us gets the last word in about 4 or 5 weeks. Honestly, making it to round 4 would be a successful season and anything on top of that is gravy, for us.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Lol I will say I watched both the Raceland and Belfry game. That was two totally different Pikeville squads. But the Pikeville squad I saw against Raceland, was the same I saw against Paintsville and even though the score was much different it was the same squad i saw against Hazard. Which leads me to believe that this Pikeville team isnt as focused as the '15 Panthers.

When you think about it there is a very good reason for this. Pikeville has a young QB and if your watching films from the first three games your wasting your time. Our offense was a little one dimensional and even Coach Mac mentioned we would need to hang our hat on defense those first few games. Since the Belfry game we have seen a much more comfortable QB that is executing. Honestly he is further developed then I thought he would be at this point. Gonna be a fun playoff run.
If Pikeville brings their A-game it will shock me if Paintsville hangs with 17-20 points. In fact, I am not sure I can see a Class 1A team playing them within 2 scores if the Panthers are on.

With that said, I remember 2015 and what happened then that should have never been possible.
2000PHS Wrote:No mine is fine. You just got carried away and are trying to walk it back a touch.

Paintsville was a shell of the team that Pikeville played in September. Freshman Qb making his first career start on the road and Allen DNP the 2nd half. Hopefully one of us gets the last word in about 4 or 5 weeks. Honestly, making it to round 4 would be a successful season and anything on top of that is gravy, for us.

I'm not trying to walk anything back.
Nobody is coming into Pikeville in the playoffs and getting a win. It's not impossible but it's not happening. Sorry if I have confused you. It's all in good fun haha.