Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Stat Reporting
zoneblitz2 Wrote:I may be wrong on this but I remember looking earlier this year at stats for Tackles and noticed that the KHSAA site counts Assists as a full tackle. For example a coach entered for a kid: 5 solo and 6 assists and it gave him a total of 11 tackles. I always thought assist should count as .5 tackle and he should have 8 total tackles instead of 11.

You are correct. The KHSAA does count assisted tackles and solo tackles in their total. There are no .5 tackles like the NFL counts.
kai Wrote:If you don't believe stats go find film and watch and count for yourself, you can find film on most teams or have your coaches do it. Now with Hudl and youtube it is fairly easy for you or your coach if you are that concerned about another kids stats and watch and count yourself.

I believe film is the most accurate way to determine stats. Maybe sometime in the future KHSAA would require the HUDL stats be used for reporting. That would take out any inflated numbers, or people who may unintentionally report something wrong because they don't understand the rules.
HCS Wrote:What do you call it when a player goes down swinging? I didn't get that.

That confused me also.
Rip/Spin Wrote:This is my understanding of how tackles are counted.

Solo Solo - Tackles The total number of solo tackles. If a ball carrier is stopped solely or primarily because of the efforts of one player, that player should be credited with an solo or unassisted tackle. No more than one solo tackle can be credited on any one play. Tackles for losses and pass sacks should result in a player getting credit for that action and a solo tackle.

Assisted Tackles - The total number of assisted tackles. If two defensive players contribute equally to the stopping of a ball carrier, credit both players with an assisted tackle, but give neither a solo tackle. NOTE: In a situation where there is not a solo tackle, there should not be more than two assists credited except in rare instances. In other words, on any given play one of the following may be credited: (1) one solo tackle, or (2) two assisted tackles. Only in the rarest of cases would more than two assisted tackles be credited.

You are correct and have quoted the NFHS stat manual guidelines for recording tackles. A assisted tackle is record as .5 tackle, if you notice on KHSAA no one reports an Assisted Tackle as a .5 tackle vs a Solo tackle in the player's totals.

KHSAA can not even find an out of state team's winning precentage for the RPI system, so you know they can not review stats. If someone else did the work and sent it to the with the game video they may do something then, but I would not bet on it. :Shaking:
^^^ wow! I didn’t know that about the tackles!! You would think they would update the way they do it by now. Especially with all the computers and films we have now days. The out of state thing really bothers me. With very little effort they could fix that. Instead teams like corbin for example who played a very good out of state team are almost being penalized for it. If they don’t fix it, I’d say you’ll stop seeing a lot of early matchups against out of state teams. Why would someone schedule a solid TN team, or WV, IN, OH, when they could play an average ky team and get more value for it with RPI and playoffs
There are most definitely some guys miscounting tackles across the state. The definition of a solo tackle cannot be broadcasted loud enough! When you enter a scheduled game, it automatically populates the other team’s schedule. Seems the easy fix would be to do the same with stats. The data compared against one another could serve as a system of checks and balances.
All I know is if that #6 for LCA’s stats are right he is no doubt the best receiver in Kentucky
Daddy Ball