Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA Stat Reporting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does the KHSAA do any kind of checking on stats that are reported by teams, or is it more of an honor system? I ask this because I was curious as to how one team that is leading their class in rushing has such a poor record. I started comparing what that team reported and compared it with their opponents reported stats for what they gave up, and it was a huge difference. Over 800 yards difference in rushing alone, and a little over 100 yards in passing! I know KHSAA can't check everybody and I'm not saying they should have to, but wouldn't something like this raise a red flag?
I’ve noticed some discrepancies as well last year with Corbin and their opponents. Our defense was solid last year against both pass and run, so when I accidentally checked the other teams stats instead of our own I started noticing a big difference in yards. One game specifically we held a team to 7 points and no first downs at all in the first half and very few overall, yards rushing was low too, but yet when I checked it had the kid with almost 100 yards rushing haha. When I know for a fact it was almost impossible for him to get even close to that. I thought it might habw just been an honest mistake at first, but there were a few more games after I started paying attention that had a difference, not as big as the first one I mentioned, but enough to where it couldn’t be an honest mistake. From what I was told, and it wasn’t by anyone official, it’s basically the teams responsibility to turn in stats for the regular season games and they could almost report what they wanted too.

You would almost think, with the technology we have today that the KHSAA would have some kind of computer program that would flag big differences between yards reported, even they even take all those stats, offensive and defensive, into account.
Hound05 Wrote:I’ve noticed some discrepancies as well last year with Corbin and their opponents. Our defense was solid last year against both pass and run, so when I accidentally checked the other teams stats instead of our own I started noticing a big difference in yards. One game specifically we held a team to 7 points and no first downs at all in the first half and very few overall, yards rushing was low too, but yet when I checked it had the kid with almost 100 yards rushing haha. When I know for a fact it was almost impossible for him to get even close to that. I thought it might habw just been an honest mistake at first, but there were a few more games after I started paying attention that had a difference, not as big as the first one I mentioned, but enough to where it couldn’t be an honest mistake. From what I was told, and it wasn’t by anyone official, it’s basically the teams responsibility to turn in stats for the regular season games and they could almost report what they wanted too.

You would almost think, with the technology we have today that the KHSAA would have some kind of computer program that would flag big differences between yards reported, even they even take all those stats, offensive and defensive, into account.

I could find only one game this season that they had reported the same amount of yards as their opponent said they had. One game there is 194 yard difference is rushing! The difference per game is usually 100+ yards. I just hate it for the kids and teams that have honestly earned what is reported and where they should be ranked.
This is a good topic. Even if I think, "well they can't lie about the score, that's what matters"...really, it isn't ALL that matters because some other kid that rightfully earns to be in the top 10 in rushing, or top 8, might be screwed out of that spot by some kid who is having his stats inflated. I agree with all both of you have said.
smoke1015 Wrote:This is a good topic. Even if I think, "well they can't lie about the score, that's what matters"...really, it isn't ALL that matters because some other kid that rightfully earns to be in the top 10 in rushing, or top 8, might be screwed out of that spot by some kid who is having his stats inflated. I agree with all both of you have said.

Yep
The sad thing about all of this is a coach that gives a kid 10 tackles and take tackles and assists away from other players on same team. There are schools that will give players 18 solo in a game and when we played them he had 5 solo and 2 Asst. But stats reported was 11 solo and 5 asst.. sad sad
Things like this divide teams and teammates
How would they possibly check?
Definitely happens. I checked a stat report between two teams and one team had reported over 50 solo tackles and 50 assisted for over 100 total tackles. However the team they played only ran 48 plays with 8 incompletions. Makes sense how they have a leading tackler in the state and have broken state records the past few seasons.
This problem holds true in most sports and stems back to the person who keeps the books and stats. It seems to happen a lot in basketball, baseball and softball and can be tracked back to a parent who helps with the team cooking the books to puff up their child’s stats. You see it often in baseball, when a player gets credit for a hit when they got on base due to a fielding error or even a walk, sometimes it’s a extra stolen base or a pitcher getting credit for a strikeout when the batter went down swinging. Other than being wrong, it doesn’t matter unless it changes the score.. You see it in basketball too.
It’s sad when it’s a parent and worst when it’s a coach puffing their child stats.
Everyone is dumb
Imagine having a kid on one of the NO REPORTS teams.
You should volunteer
I am aware of a school where the season and cater tackle record was broke by the kid who's father was keeping the stats. The next year the coach started doing it himself while reviewing the game film. Numbers where greatly exaggerated.
64black&gold Wrote:How would they possibly check?

I'm not sure, but if there is a huge discrepancy in reporting on the same game, maybe they could review the stat sheets from each team and compare. IDK just wanting to see if this is a common problem or if the reporting is usually done honestly and accurately.
Real Badman Wrote:You should volunteer

I do volunteer and do what I can. My girls play sports which keeps me busy through the week. Fridays is their only day off so it works out for me too.
E's Army Wrote:I am aware of a school where the season and cater tackle record was broke by the kid who's father was keeping the stats. The next year the coach started doing it himself while reviewing the game film. Numbers where greatly exaggerated.

My high school coach would do the same. He would stay up after the games and watch the film and correct the stat sheets.
I’m pretty sure if someone breaks a state record for single game, season or career the state will go back and watch the film to prove.
Isn’t there a kid averaging 20 tackles a game? If you’re a third or fourth guy on a tackle, is that supposed to be counted?
Thrillex Wrote:Isn’t there a kid averaging 20 tackles a game? If you’re a third or fourth guy on a tackle, is that supposed to be counted?

This is my understanding of how tackles are counted.

Solo Solo - Tackles The total number of solo tackles. If a ball carrier is stopped solely or primarily because of the efforts of one player, that player should be credited with an solo or unassisted tackle. No more than one solo tackle can be credited on any one play. Tackles for losses and pass sacks should result in a player getting credit for that action and a solo tackle.

Assisted Tackles - The total number of assisted tackles. If two defensive players contribute equally to the stopping of a ball carrier, credit both players with an assisted tackle, but give neither a solo tackle. NOTE: In a situation where there is not a solo tackle, there should not be more than two assists credited except in rare instances. In other words, on any given play one of the following may be credited: (1) one solo tackle, or (2) two assisted tackles. Only in the rarest of cases would more than two assisted tackles be credited.
This a glaring weakness in an otherwise strong sports information system at the KHSAA.
Several schools fudge a LOT on their numbers.
This a glaring weakness in an otherwise strong sports information system at the KHSAA.
Several schools fudge a LOT on their numbers.
Watched an area school play and their best player made 9 tackles. They reported a multiple of that many.
Yeah, it’s a problem.
I would say they definitely do not. What tipped me off is last years state ERA leader in softball pitched 51 innings, gave up 0 earned runs but allowed 223 unearned runs! My guess is the stat keeper doesn't understand the difference but you would think the coach who puts the stats in or the person at KHSAA who compiles the leader board would notice how ridiculous that is and make efforts to corrected.
BallFan1952 Wrote:sometimes it’s a extra stolen base or a pitcher getting credit for a strikeout when the batter went down swinging. Other than being wrong, it doesn’t matter unless it changes the score.. You see it in basketball too.
It’s sad when it’s a parent and worst when it’s a coach puffing their child stats.

What do you call it when a player goes down swinging? I didn't get that.
64black&gold Wrote:How would they possibly check?

Game film. I think it'd be fairly easy on the blatant ones. I have all our film, every game for the past 6 or 7 years, probably further back than that.
My oldest’s best friend, had a great senior season, against what most would consider good competition. He had like 1700 yards in 12 games but never got recognized state wide because of some inflated stats.
HCS Wrote:What do you call it when a player goes down swinging? I didn't get that.

A out is a out no matter if the batter swings and misses on the 3rd strike or the batter doesn’t swing and it’s a called 3rd strike, I agree it’s a out. Some coaches want to know if the pitcher got the batter on a great pitch, or did the batter just miss the ball or did batter hit the ball and got thrown out, all 3 are outs. Some don’t care how the out occurred and some do.
Sorry for my confussing statement and I know this thread was about football stats and I added baseball to the conversation, my bad.
I may be wrong on this but I remember looking earlier this year at stats for Tackles and noticed that the KHSAA site counts Assists as a full tackle. For example a coach entered for a kid: 5 solo and 6 assists and it gave him a total of 11 tackles. I always thought assist should count as .5 tackle and he should have 8 total tackles instead of 11.
Stats Questions: The KHSAA records tackles(assisted/solo), tackles for loss, and sacks.
1. Does a sack also count as a tackle and a tackle for loss?
2. Is a tackle for loss, a) any one tackled behind the line of scrimmage with the ball or b) anyone tackled behind the LOS, but the QB?
If you don't believe stats go find film and watch and count for yourself, you can find film on most teams or have your coaches do it. Now with Hudl and youtube it is fairly easy for you or your coach if you are that concerned about another kids stats and watch and count yourself.
Armchair QB Wrote:Stats Questions: The KHSAA records tackles(assisted/solo), tackles for loss, and sacks.
1. Does a sack also count as a tackle and a tackle for loss?
2. Is a tackle for loss, a) any one tackled behind the line of scrimmage with the ball or b) anyone tackled behind the LOS, but the QB?

1. A sack is it's own category and is not counted as both.

2. Anyone tackled behind the line of scrimmage who is NOT attempting a pass is considered a tackle for a loss, even the QB.
Pages: 1 2