Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI is really a terrible way to determine home field
Hatz Wrote:Boyle would have hosted. Here’s the link of last years rpi.

https://khsaa.org/rpi_details/?event_id=1161

Boyle Co would have hosted LaRue Co and Corbin hosted Central which is the way it should have been.

And I believe Belfry would have traveled to Corbin for Regional Championship. Boyle hosted Bell Co? Right?!?!
mysonis55 Wrote:Because when the gold ball gets handed out, it’s going to the Cards. But, this crazy system is ranking them around 3.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch.
Hatz Wrote:Seems like I heard that in 2017.

And maybe 2018.

:eyeroll:

:Thumbs:

Confusednicker:never take advice from a bird brain
Woodsman Wrote:I can’t imagine caring about this right now. Things will definitely shake out as they are supposed to. More data input is needed for the system to function properly and they simply don’t have the information needed yet. Not to mention...anything is better than alternating years. Muchado about nothing. Good teams will win....if they are good. Doesn’t matter where they play.
I agree with you for the second or third time ever.
FoSho Wrote:Boyle Co would have hosted LaRue Co and Corbin hosted Central which is the way it should have been.

And I believe Belfry would have traveled to Corbin for Regional Championship. Boyle hosted Bell Co? Right?!?!
That might have shook things up a tad. Guess we will never know. Boyle would have def beat bell county. I think Corbin at home vs central we would have won that one and set it up for another rematch at Kroger. Looking back I kind of wish that would have happened.
Hatz Wrote:I like the RPI a lot better than the old way. :Thumbs:

It’s that simple. How and why can’t people see that?!?
mysonis55 Wrote:Dude seriously???? How would it not shake out by week 7? It is obvious the teams that are playing the tougher schedules are getting blasted for scheduling that way. And, don’t tell me that it don’t matter. Imagine if you are Mayfield and play a solid schedule, you are ranked #3 by the rpi and you still have to play a top ten 2a team and a top ten 4a team. If you take a 1 point loss on the 4a game, you drop to #4 and have to drive 6 plus hours to Somerset to play in the semis when you should be at home.

Or as mentioned above, you beat the crap out of PT as DeSales has but, due to rankings you have to travel 3+ hours to play at PT in semis.

It doesn’t matter in the slightest! Kentcuky playoffs are a joke to start with. If mayfield is good (which I think they obviously are), they will most certainly compete no matter where they play. Good teams win. That’s what happens.
Woodsman Wrote:Good teams win. That’s what happens.

Trust me....I’ve seen it happen.
This RPI is just about the worst idea I’ve seen in HS sports in a while in KY.
dbcooper Wrote:This RPI is just about the worst idea I’ve seen in HS sports in a while in KY.

So alternating locations annually is better? What’s your solution?
pjdoug Wrote:whiners galore.

:truestory:
I hope the powers that be tweak this current system or it will make for grave scheduling results as early as next year
Glass half empty or half full? RPI has been great for Bluegrass Rivals traffic. Getting MySon this fired up 3 weeks before the playoffs start is a blessing. We all get more HS football discussion. It's why we are all here.....right? �� A big tweak is needed, KHSAA will find a way to squeeze ���� money ����out of this and it'll get better.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Glass half empty or half full? RPI has been great for Bluegrass Rivals traffic. Getting MySon this fired up 3 weeks before the playoffs start is a blessing. We all get more HS football discussion. It's why we are all here.....right? �� A big tweak is needed, KHSAA will find a way to squeeze ���� money ����out of this and it'll get better.

MysonisRPI55 would convince people that Fulton City and Fulton County was a top 10 team in west if mayfield was playing them. :biglmao:
64SUR Wrote:MysonisRPI55 would convince people that Fulton City and Fulton County was a top 10 team in west if mayfield was playing them. :biglmao:

Like Lausanne, The 104th ranked team in Tennessee? But they were a powerhouse.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Like Lausanne, The 104th ranked team in Tennessee? But they were a powerhouse.

They have been a huge disappointment. They were supposed to be a really good team and looked the part when they visited. They have good size and really good speed. Hard to believe how bad they have been. Of course I don’t know much about the competition they have been playing.
RPI is horrible.
All the perennial powers hate RPI, rest of us just glad to be in games that late in the year that matter. Get over it, for places with such tradition and dominance why all the whining?
64SUR Wrote:MysonisRPI55 would convince people that Fulton City and Fulton County was a top 10 team in west if mayfield was playing them. :biglmao:

she sure would Confusednicker:
mysonis55 Wrote:They have been a huge disappointment. They were supposed to be a really good team and looked the part when they visited. They have good size and really good speed. Hard to believe how bad they have been. Of course I don’t know much about the competition they have been playing.
They were mediocre to begin with.
FCSPY Wrote:All the perennial powers hate RPI, rest of us just glad to be in games that late in the year that matter. Get over it, for places with such tradition and dominance why all the whining?

great question.
pjdoug Wrote:They were mediocre to begin with.

They were hardly mediocre but they have not had the season many thought they would have.
Looking at last years RPI shows the flaws in 1A. Hazard , Williamsburg and Pikeville in that order. Williamsburg waxed Hazard. Pikeville waxed Williamsburg. Either of those games were close. RPI was not close.
FCSPY Wrote:All the perennial powers hate RPI, rest of us just glad to be in games that late in the year that matter. Get over it, for places with such tradition and dominance why all the whining?

Ummmm my team is #1 RPI in 4A.

It's some of the other teams that everyone KNOWS should be ranked higher and aren't that makes me say it's stupid.
If people think that a computer system by itself is going to correctly rank teams, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Pikeville is #1 in class A. Even the most bitter of foes would have to agree with that. Their performance speaks for itself.

I also hate the intra district matchups. Divide East/West and 1 plays 16. Go state wide for the final 4.
The thought process behind switching to the RPI and new system I can agree with.

With that said, this system is still painfully lacking for what it needs to be.

Taking exception because Mayfield is ranked #3 in 2A (which may actually be pretty darn accurate) is pretty laughable when there are no less than 50 more egregious issues that are more clearly visible though LOL.

It is simply a flawed system, but the reason for it is of sound approach.The KHSAA has pivoted once and made a necessary change (I actually will give credit to them for that flexibility), but they still have 5 or 6 necessary changes that still need to be addressed.
I keep a spreadsheet of the RPI numbers for the teams in 4A and the one thing that stands out the most to me is Perry Central’s RPI rose from .373 to .403 after their loss to Johnson Central. I know that the opponents winning percentage is 35% of the formula but I had never realized how much of an impact on the RPI that it actually had. I should have realized this but it just never dawned on me. Johnson Central’s RPI went from .710 to .700 after winning at Perry. I believe that once teams realize how important the opponents win percentage is that it may help teams like Belfry and Johnson Central complete a schedule without going out of state or driving three to four hours for a game.
RPI might work out and maybe the best system khsaa has ever had but look at last years state championship games all were pretty close especially in the first 4 classes can’t remember the other two. Good teams are going to play a tuff schedule to get ready for the playoffs. Good teams can win on the road but I think in the 3rd or 4th rounds there will be some games that is not as competitive as the 2nd round in some districts. You still have to beat who you play no matter where. My only thing is scheduling for the lower class and I believe it will have effect on them. Plus teams that are in weak districts which they have no control over hurts also. Take Johnson Central going down after a win they have to play. So there is some problems with this system that needs to be worked out.
Patriot1 Wrote:RPI might work out and maybe the best system khsaa has ever had but look at last years state championship games all were pretty close especially in the first 4 classes can’t remember the other two. Good teams are going to play a tuff schedule to get ready for the playoffs. Good teams can win on the road but I think in the 3rd or 4th rounds there will be some games that is not as competitive as the 2nd round in some districts. You still have to beat who you play no matter where. My only thing is scheduling for the lower class and I believe it will have effect on them. Plus teams that are in weak districts which they have no control over hurts also. Take Johnson Central going down after a win they have to play. So there is some problems with this system that needs to be worked out.

The flip side of that is that maybe now some teams that aren't so far away will schedule JC now. Particularly Lower Classification teams that will have a boost playing up and Johnson Central will get a boost with wins vs teams with very good records. :Thumbs: