Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: RPI is really a terrible way to determine home field
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As suspected, the new rpi system is a joke. This is evidenced in 1a by KCD, which most likely isn’t even a top 4 team and is now #1 in rpi. In 2a, is there really anyone that thinks Mayfield is #3. Then 3a, do you think Bell Co is #1, looking at what DeSales has played and their results.

What was so wrong with the old east comes west or west comes east?
Is Trinity only 4th best team in 6A
Ultimately it all does not matter. The best teams will win. I think we all put too much stock and emotion into the rankings
Let’s judge when there’s a full 10 games played.
KYHSFB Wrote:Let’s judge when there’s a full 10 games played.

I think the bigger picture issue is that going forward teams will schedule to game this system. Only problem is, Eastern KY teams don’t have 20+ “bad” large schools to schedule within 75 miles. KCD could not beat Paintsville, Pikeville, Hazard, Raceland, Williamsburg, Pikeville JV, NCC and KCD will be no worse than #2 in RPI.
The only part of the original system they shoulda changed was the cross district play. If 4 teams came out of each district and the RPI was started in the first round but only ranked east and west. By the third round the whole state should be incorporated as a whole like the fourth round now, this eliminates the desales and CAL game second round, or somerset and LCA in second round. Travel times for schools with less funding cant be addressed how it is now cause the plan is hurting higher class programs.
mysonis55 Wrote:As suspected, the new rpi system is a joke. This is evidenced in 1a by KCD, which most likely isn’t even a top 4 team and is now #1 in rpi. In 2a, is there really anyone that thinks Mayfield is #3. Then 3a, do you think Bell Co is #1, looking at what DeSales has played and their results.

The old system was based on the luck of even and odd years. How exact was that the right system that rewarded play?
mysonis55 Wrote:As suspected, the new rpi system is a joke. This is evidenced in 1a by KCD, which most likely isn’t even a top 4 team and is now #1 in rpi. In 2a, is there really anyone that thinks Mayfield is #3. Then 3a, do you think Bell Co is #1, looking at what DeSales has played and their results.

How does Mayfield have any better argument than Somerset or LCA right now?
2000PHS Wrote:I think the bigger picture issue is that going forward teams will schedule to game this system. Only problem is, Eastern KY teams don’t have 20+ “bad” large schools to schedule within 75 miles. KCD could not beat Paintsville, Pikeville, Hazard, Raceland, Williamsburg, Pikeville JV, NCC and KCD will be no worse than #2 in RPI.

Those are all teams that the RPI is irrelevant for in comparison to KCD until round 4 (minust NCC). Is KCD good enough to beat whoever gets out of districts 1,2, or 4 in round 3?
Hatz Wrote:How does Mayfield have any better argument than Somerset or LCA right now?

Because they are his team.
Relax folks, it will workout. Bring your A game everyday and win it on the field..
We could flip a coin
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Ultimately it all does not matter. The best teams will win. I think we all put too much stock and emotion into the rankings

True. But the best teams would like to stay at home instead of driving halfway across the state for a game
2000PHS Wrote:I think the bigger picture issue is that going forward teams will schedule to game this system. Only problem is, Eastern KY teams don’t have 20+ “bad” large schools to schedule within 75 miles. KCD could not beat Paintsville, Pikeville, Hazard, Raceland, Williamsburg, Pikeville JV, NCC and KCD will be no worse than #2 in RPI.

I would put money your top tier teams aren’t going to game the system. They’re going to play the teams they feel they need to play to get them ready to compete for a title.
RPI, is as good as anything odd and even is silly and some of these districts are jokes.
Feels like the old BCS Sagarin ratings and how much everyone hated it...
The simple fact that Trinity is #4 in 6A AT ANYTIME DURING THE SEASON is all the proof I need that the system is flawed.
KYHSFB Wrote:Let’s judge when there’s a full 10 games played.

This is KEY right here. I don’t understand what people don’t get?? RPI isn’t meant to determine the #1 team 5 games in. By the time the 3rd/4th round comes the picture will be better. Is RPI perfect? I think we know the answer to that. But it’s a step in the right direction by the KHSAA! In the next few years we hopefully will see a system likes this only tweaked to include more metrics and data. But I for one, am very happy with steps they’ve taken this year. People will complain no matter what. Last year they were b!tching about cross bracketing and the two best teams playing in the semis. Now they are complaining about playing two district games and the RPI. I mean what do you want? People are complaining but giving no solutions? Hah.

This post isn’t directed at the OP or anyone specific. I literally mean people in general.
Haters gonna hate. 😂
BellCo18 Wrote:Haters gonna hate. 😂

My teams is good. But logic tells me otherwise with my eye test.

Just sayin....
Relax you buncha homers, your team will end up exactly where they are supposed to be when it’s all said and done. Everyone can’t be number 1 like the liberals want!!
Hound05 Wrote:This is KEY right here. I don’t understand what people don’t get?? RPI isn’t meant to determine the #1 team 5 games in. By the time the 3rd/4th round comes the picture will be better. Is RPI perfect? I think we know the answer to that. But it’s a step in the right direction by the KHSAA! In the next few years we hopefully will see a system likes this only tweaked to include more metrics and data. But I for one, am very happy with steps they’ve taken this year. People will complain no matter what. Last year they were b!tching about cross bracketing and the two best teams playing in the semis. Now they are complaining about playing two district games and the RPI. I mean what do you want? People are complaining but giving no solutions? Hah.

This post isn’t directed at the OP or anyone specific. I literally mean people in general.

Because the schedules for the next 3 weeks are already posted and there isn’t enough data to move the needle that much to overcome KCD.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I would put money your top tier teams aren’t going to game the system. They’re going to play the teams they feel they need to play to get them ready to compete for a title.

So they get punished for doing it the “right way.” I would bet money that top tier teams are looking at large schools that are decent but beatable.
Hatz Wrote:How does Mayfield have any better argument than Somerset or LCA right now?

Because when the gold ball gets handed out, it’s going to the Cards. But, this crazy system is ranking them around 3.
mysonis55 Wrote:Because when the gold ball gets handed out, it’s going to the Cards. But, this crazy system is ranking them around 3.

Mayfield will be top 2, LCA/Somerset will only get one in the third round regardless.

Relax.

BTW that Stinson kid is a great player.
2000PHS Wrote:So they get punished for doing it the “right way.” I would bet money that top tier teams are looking at large schools that are decent but beatable.

Have a hard time believing coaches for those schools are more worried about RPI than being tested and ready for a deep run.
mysonis55 Wrote:Because when the gold ball gets handed out, it’s going to the Cards. But, this crazy system is ranking them around 3.

Seems like I heard that in 2017.

And maybe 2018.

:eyeroll:

:Thumbs:
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Have a hard time believing coaches for those schools are more worried about RPI than being tested and ready for a deep run.

I wouldn’t say more worried but if you don’t think that Paintsville will look to schedule more East Jessamines of the world and less Unions (out of state) you don’t understand the importance of home field. Same goes for replacing Hazard with a Harlan Co (just used as an example).
RPI sucks for homefield because it was East turn to come west so Mayffield is getting screwed at least this year but we can deal with it bring em on.

:betterthanexpected:
Pages: 1 2 3