Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KCD overtakes Pikeville for #1 RPI in 1A, listen to this
I still don’t understand how or why they decided to change the system mid-season which is crap in its self.

I also don’t understand why/how it makes sense to play districts the first two rounds then shift to the RPI system. IMHO you should just use RPI and not even start with two district games. On this side, two of the 4 best teams in 1A will be knocked out 2nd week.
PHSForever Wrote:Actually it has to do with the math allowing a drop on a weekend in which all the above applied when neither team played, etc like Jet pointed out. With Pikeville only having 9 games due to the Jenkins game being a forfeit (as we understand it now), the POTENTIAL is there for them to actually drop to 3rd. If that happens, despite playing a schedule that is tougher than Ashland’s in a normal year (this years Tomcat schedule is pretty tough so ‘grats on that) they could end up traveling when they SHOULD be at home. For the players and fans, I think that’s unfair. I still think the Panthers would end up in Lexington but don’t agree with the possibility of having to travel in the playoffs because a system allows something so silly to happen to the numbers in the situation Jet pointed out.

And for the record, Ashland has a good team this year. Congrats. But don’t be a hypocrite about talent haul. No one at Pikeville is scared of playing Raceland or Paintsville, if anything, in a normal year Ashland would definitely be scared of playing Raceland since they seem to continue to be competitive with y’all. Lol

Ashland is just happy they were able to get away from Johnson Central. Took a few shots to the chin. Would LOVE to see them travel to Belfry at some point.
#55PirateFan Wrote:This right here is why I've lost all faith in the KHSAA and the RPI system. Anyone in their right mind would know that there's no way in hell that KCD would even come close to beating Pikeville, on any field, anywhere! The eye test alone will tell you that. They've spent some much time on numbers, computers, and analytics that they've completely forgot about common sense. It is what it is. Not going to matter though. I don't see anybody getting in the Panthers way this year for the championship. They could play every playoff game at home or on the road and the outcome would still be the same. Just my 2 cents.
The Panthers have another big game coming up at Hazard. Hopefully they don’t get the same treatment from the refs that Somerset got this past Friday with 200+ yards in penalties.
A-Block Wrote:I still don’t understand how or why they decided to change the system mid-season which is crap in its self.

I also don’t understand why/how it makes sense to play districts the first two rounds then shift to the RPI system. IMHO you should just use RPI and not even start with two district games. On this side, two of the 4 best teams in 1A will be knocked out 2nd week.

It's been pointed out by others, and cited, that the formula was NOT changed in mid-season. Playing larger class teams has always been a part of it. Others may have ignored it but it was part of the system to begin with. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:It's been pointed out by others, and cited, that the formula was NOT changed in mid-season. Playing larger class teams has always been a part of it. Others may have ignored it but it was part of the system to begin with. :Thumbs:

Hatz, the only problem I have with it is about scheduling in the future. Why would any team want to schedule a 1A team when they can move up in schedule a weaker upper class team and get more points for their RPI numbers. That’s the only problem I have with it. Now I have talked about this already but I still don’t understand.
Patriot1 Wrote:Hatz, the only problem I have with it is about scheduling in the future. Why would any team want to schedule a 1A team when they can move up in schedule a weaker upper class team and get more points for their RPI numbers. That’s the only problem I have with it. Now I have talked about this already but I still don’t understand.

My only retort to that argument is based on what a team's goal is.

If it's to have a high RPI so that by week 3 they host a game, then they should schedule like you say.

But if their goal is win a State Title, they have to have more than an RPI number - they have to be challenged in the season so that when they finally play the best of the best in rounds 3 and following; they will have an advantage of facing that caliber of team already.

Just my take. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:It's been pointed out by others, and cited, that the formula was NOT changed in mid-season. Playing larger class teams has always been a part of it. Others may have ignored it but it was part of the system to begin with. :Thumbs:

It is my understanding from coaches that some changes were made midseason regarding out of state teams that have impacted RPI rankings. Maybe they were wrong?
The system sucks. Period.
Hatz Wrote:My only retort to that argument is based on what a team's goal is.

If it's to have a high RPI so that by week 3 they host a game, then they should schedule like you say.

But if their goal is win a State Title, they have to have more than an RPI number - they have to be challenged in the season so that when they finally play the best of the best in rounds 3 and following; they will have an advantage of facing that caliber of team already.

In most situations round three will be a blow do to the fact that we are playing district appoints the first two rounds! You see anybody complaining from the Pairs district?? No cause their entire district was gone by week three in the old format now they get to put one of their subpar teams into week three because two of the better teams on the east side will be eliminated by week three! If this new format was created to get the best teams into the state championship game then we messed up!! Badly
jetpilot Wrote:Bardstown is ranked 6th in 3A and 32nd overall in KY according to calpreps.
Their rating is 15.7. KCD's opponents and their calpreps ratings are:

Washington County -4.0
Atherton -14.2
Southern -15.5
Seneca -36.3
Iroquois -36.8
Thomas Nelson -47.5

So that means Bardstown would be favored by 19.7 over the best team KCD has played and by 63.2 over the worst team KCD has played, with both games being on neutral fields.

Cipher that for me dougie and tell me how much on average Bardstown would beat all of KCD's opponents. Hint: It's way over a running clock.TongueirateSho

Both teams are overrated. I've always heard that truth hurts Smile
VoR_58 Wrote:I don’t know much about any of the teams, but Bardstown has blew out everyone they’ve played since they lost the first game of the season to Pikeville.
Pikeville was the only good team they've played against .
PHSForever Wrote:Guys, we’ve hijacked this thread. Good luck to Berea and KCD for an injury free game. And good luck to Berea. I hope they win because they’ve suffered so long.
Go (Not Belfry) Pirates!
pjdoug Wrote:Go (Not Belfry) Pirates!

Come on now PJDoug, you said you related to the West Virginia Hatfield’s so you can pull for the Belfry Pirates.
Pikeville opponents are 20-10 for an OWP of .667. KCD opponents are 12-26 for a .333 OWP. Not counting next opponents. If you include those, Pikevilles is 23-13 (.639) and KCD is 18-26 (.409). Tell me who’s played the tougher schedule and is postseason ready?
Hatz Wrote:My only retort to that argument is based on what a team's goal is.

My question is how do “bottom feeders” in 1A get people to play them in the future?
2000PHS Wrote:My question is how do “bottom feeders” in 1A get people to play them in the future?

Yea. Not knocking them but someone will take them as a warm up game. Kind of like SEC teams do. Or someone will to pad their schedule. If they have trouble scheduling, tell them to contact, Dudley Hilton. BCHS head coach. 😏
2000PHS Wrote:My question is how do “bottom feeders” in 1A get people to play them in the future?

It don’t even have to be bottom feeders, why would anyone want to play a 1A team unless like Hatz said you want to get your team ready for the playoffs and play the good 1A teams that might beat you. Perfect example is Pikeville and Belfry, yes I know Pikeville has won 2 out of the last 17 I think that what it is. But that’s still a chance you lose sometimes so why play. Instead schedule a team in classes above you that you can beat. It’s to me anyway better to get your team ready for the playoffs than to worry about the RPI but some will. 2000 PHS brought up a good point though about the weaker 1A schools how are they going to get scheduling done in future years.
Patriot1 Wrote:It don’t even have to be bottom feeders, why would anyone want to play a 1A team unless like Hatz said you want to get your team ready for the playoffs and play the good 1A teams that might beat you. Perfect example is Pikeville and Belfry, yes I know Pikeville has won 2 out of the last 17 I think that what it is. But that’s still a chance you lose sometimes so why play. Instead schedule a team in classes above you that you can beat. It’s to me anyway better to get your team ready for the playoffs than to worry about the RPI but some will. 2000 PHS brought up a good point though about the weaker 1A schools how are they going to get scheduling done in future years.

I just see this as a disaster for the bottom feeders getting games. Teams will still want to play the Pikeville and Paintsvilles of the world because they will be solid tests in almost all years and they will also have a good record in most years. However, a struggling program has nothing to bring to the table so to speak, now that “easy win” can hurt you.
Go back to 4 classes. More district games. Or school can try their hand at creating conferences where everyone plays everyone plus their district games.
Patriot1 Wrote:Come on now PJDoug, you said you related to the West Virginia Hatfield’s so you can pull for the Belfry Pirates.

It's more fun to talk trash with them.lol
Quit whining about RPI and play ball lol. If your team is good they will win. Pikeville could easily beat the team ahead of them in RPI.

It is mutually beneficial for crappy teams in bigger classes to play crappy teams in 1A.
Redneck Wrote:The Panthers have another big game coming up at Hazard. Hopefully they don’t get the same treatment from the refs that Somerset got this past Friday with 200+ yards in penalties.

No doubt. Pikeville will have a huge crowd at Hazard and several people will be filming on their phones so watch out for shenanigans refs lol:ChairHit:
jetpilot Wrote:It is mutually beneficial for crappy teams in bigger classes to play crappy teams in 1A.

I dont want to get into the weeds with the RPI “gaming” because I know at the end of the day Paintsville has to beat Raceland in round 2 before any of this stuff evens starts to matter. Pikeville has to do the same with Hazard.
jetpilot Wrote:No doubt. Pikeville will have a huge crowd at Hazard and several people will be filming on their phones so watch out for shenanigans refs lol:ChairHit:

Facebook live has ruined sporting events, or helped depending on how you look at it.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
2000PHS Wrote:I dont want to get into the weeds with the RPI “gaming” because I know at the end of the day Paintsville has to beat Raceland in round 2 before any of this stuff evens starts to matter. Pikeville has to do the same with Hazard.

Yes but after that RPI will matter to whoever wins those games in a big way.
pjdoug Wrote:Quit whining about RPI and play ball lol. If your team is good they will win. Pikeville could easily beat the team ahead of them in RPI.

That’s true PJDoug you have to beat who you play, but my main concern is scheduling for the 1A schools. It’s no benefit to play them if you are a upper class team. Kind of cuts the amount of teams the 1A schools have to play.
Patriot1 Wrote:That’s true PJDoug you have to beat who you play, but my main concern is scheduling for the 1A schools. It’s no benefit to play them if you are a upper class team. Kind of cuts the amount of teams the 1A schools have to play.

Hey Patriot, now that’s it’s obvious that teams are penalized for playing good out of state competition, Ashland will probably be looking for some in state games. I’m sure Johnson Central and Russell will as well. In your opinion what are the chances of the upper 1A teams stepping up their schedules against quality teams?
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Hey Patriot, now that’s it’s obvious that teams are penalized for playing good out of state competition, Ashland will probably be looking for some in state games. I’m sure Johnson Central and Russell will as well. In your opinion what are the chances of the upper 1A teams stepping up their schedules against quality teams?

Yeah right...…

Oops, I thought you said "good" in state competition.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Hey Patriot, now that’s it’s obvious that teams are penalized for playing good out of state competition, Ashland will probably be looking for some in state games. I’m sure Johnson Central and Russell will as well. In your opinion what are the chances of the upper 1A teams stepping up their schedules against quality teams?

Johnson Central and Russell is good competition but the other team I haven’t heard of in years. Do they still play football in the Ashland.