Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 47 Mingo Central, WV 7
It's over people Mingo wants out as bad as Belfry but for opposite reason...

Find Belfry a new opponent NOW and don't wait until 2020.
Westside Wrote:That was a great video, Panther Thunder. Do you make the videos yourself?

Amateur Hour since 2010! Lol
pirateforlife Wrote:Not many people know this but Joey Fields actually had a coaching job at Trinity about 3 years ago but ended up leaving before the season to take a position at Walmart in Florida. He done that for I think less than a year then coached at Martinsburg in WV last year before returning this past offseason to call offensive plays at Mingo. The man knows football but doesnt respect the game and it shows.

No I will have to disagree with the fact he knows football because I think he is clueless the rest your Probably righteous
All I know is whoever made the decision for the quick kick call in the First Half in 4th and Distance, backed up deep in their own territory should never be allowed to call a play in again. Maybe one of the dumbest play calls I have seen in a while.

What did they think they were going to achieve? Even if they did kick it Pikeville was still going to just let it hit and take over in fine field position. You don't ever fool anyone with a quick kick backed up. Then to screw up the snap and turn it over on downs and set Pikeville up on a short field when they already had all the momentum was priceless.

You can argue the game was over before they took the field, but that moment for sure ended any hope Mingo Central had.

For the record, lots of talk about Mingo Central, but let's also acknowledge the bigger story. Pikeville looked as good as I have seen them in a looong time. They dominated every phase of the game and their Front 7 looked 3X better than their Week 1 game. I also thought MacNamee struggled a little bit with the deep ball his first game and even got bailed out a couple times, but he was throwing absolutely beautiful passes Saturday.

The COllum kid also had a little Blake Charles to him the other night. If they can get him established as a secondary running threat and short yardage guy to go with Rains (who is looking a lot like Barrett Rogers), I don't see a 1A team who can hang with Pikeville.
I agree mingo is not bad as everyone is saying. Pikeville is just that good. And as long as the can control the crowd drama I want to see belfry vs mingo. I think it would be closer game where belfry is only a running team I say this year belfry would win though.
thetruthwillset Wrote:i agree mingo is not bad as everyone is saying. Pikeville is just that good. And as long as the can control the crowd drama i want to see belfry vs mingo. I think it would be closer game where belfry is only a running team i say this year belfry would win though.

😂😂😂
TheTruthwillset Wrote:I agree mingo is not bad as everyone is saying. Pikeville is just that good. And as long as the can control the crowd drama I want to see belfry vs mingo. I think it would be closer game where belfry is only a running team I say this year belfry would win though.

Mingo better hit the weight room hard this off season if they wanna be within 2 scores of Belfry. In my opinion.
In the end, Pikeville was just better, Mingo let it get in their heads, and had no fortitude to fight back. The Collum TD Run absolutely sucked the life out of Mingo. Just could not tackle him to save their lives on that run. McNamee was absolutely on the money with some long tosses that were a thing of beauty to watch. Hitting WRs in stride 30 yards downfield is hard to defend and back breaking
I’m sorry the stuff I said about Joey Fields is just my opinion this doesn’t mean I’m right on everything I said it’s just one persons opinion sorry if I hurt your feelings Joey I’ve never thought you were a bad guy at all just thought you pick the wrong role model to be like I hope Mingo has a successful season
In Joey's defense and their whole coaching staffs defense for that matter, it wouldn't have mattered if Nick Saban was coaching with Dabo Swiney helping him. Pikeville was simply better at every position on the field and it wasnt even close. Running clock wouldn't have happened regardless just probably later in the game because someone may have played zone instead of press man with no safety help. Still dont understand that strategy.
VoR_58 Wrote:Mingo better hit the weight room hard this off season if they wanna be within 2 scores of Belfry. In my opinion.

2 scores? First qtr maybe....just my opinion....
bucslover68 Wrote:2 scores? First qtr maybe....just my opinion....

Crazy. Just lost to Pikeville....yet all they can think about is Belfry 😂😂😂. I think Belfry would be Mingo’s Super Bowl 😂😂🏈🏈
TheTruthwillset Wrote:I agree mingo is not bad as everyone is saying. Pikeville is just that good. And as long as the can control the crowd drama I want to see belfry vs mingo. I think it would be closer game where belfry is only a running team I say this year belfry would win though.

I want to see a Belfry vs Mingo matchup as well. Just so all this nonsense will stop that's been going on since Mingo was formed about "we want Belfry". No you don't! Belfry would put a running clock on Mingo this year and they will next year to. And this is coming from an ol Matewan High graduate. The Miners want no part of the Pirates, especially after what happened Saturday night. But I disagree with what you said about a closer game, I think it would be worse. Maybe not as fast of a running clock but it would happen. There's only a hand full of teams in Kentucky that could stop Belfry's power run game once they get going, in any class. Mingo is a finesse team. They would wear the Miners down and punish them snap after snap with physical football until before long they'd be scoring on every possession after 2-3 plays and that's where the running clock would come toward the end of the 2nd Qtr. Or the first possession or two in the 3rd. Then the subs would come in and put up a couple scores. And I hate that for the Miners. That program doesn't need that. Like I said, I'm an old Matewan boy and cheer for the Miners everytime they take the field. I've said for years that they needed to be a part of the PCB because their a local team but they dont need to be matched up with the Belfry's and Pikeville's. They need to play teams like Pike Central, East Ridge, Phelps, etc. Not saying they'd beat those teams, I just believe they'd be more competitive games. Those kids don't need to be embarrassed, although some of their fans need brought back down to earth. And no, the Miners wouldn't have beaten Belfry back when they won the WV 2A State Championship either like some have said, Lol. They definitely didnt want nothing to do with that Pirate team. The National Guard would have been called in before halftime! Anyway, that's my 2 cents about it.
Remind me to never make you mad at me#PirateFan55.
Patriot1 Wrote:Remind me to never make you mad at me#PirateFan55.

Lol! You don't have to worry about that Ol Man. I'm just an old broke down football fan who loves to talk football. Just saying what I think. Besides, I wouldn't want to make you mad, especially after meeting you. 😂
#55PirateFan Wrote:I want to see a Belfry vs Mingo matchup as well. Just so all this nonsense will stop that's been going on since Mingo was formed about "we want Belfry". No you don't! Belfry would put a running clock on Mingo this year and they will next year to. And this is coming from an ol Matewan High graduate. The Miners want no part of the Pirates, especially after what happened Saturday night. But I disagree with what you said about a closer game, I think it would be worse. Maybe not as fast of a running clock but it would happen. There's only a hand full of teams in Kentucky that could stop Belfry's power run game once they get going, in any class. Mingo is a finesse team. They would wear the Miners down and punish them snap after snap with physical football until before long they'd be scoring on every possession after 2-3 plays and that's where the running clock would come toward the end of the 2nd Qtr. Or the first possession or two in the 3rd. Then the subs would come in and put up a couple scores. And I hate that for the Miners. That program doesn't need that. Like I said, I'm an old Matewan boy and cheer for the Miners everytime they take the field. I've said for years that they needed to be a part of the PCB because their a local team but they dont need to be matched up with the Belfry's and Pikeville's. They need to play teams like Pike Central, East Ridge, Phelps, etc. Not saying they'd beat those teams, I just believe they'd be more competitive games. Those kids don't need to be embarrassed, although some of their fans need brought back down to earth. And no, the Miners wouldn't have beaten Belfry back when they won the WV 2A State Championship either like some have said, Lol. They definitely didnt want nothing to do with that Pirate team. The National Guard would have been called in before halftime! Anyway, that's my 2 cents about it.

People forget that when MC won the title their All-State RB had originally transferred to Belfry and couldn't crack the depth chart.. he then goes to Mingo and runs for over 1500 yards and was "unstoppable" at times against WV competition.

That Mingo team was a good story, but what they saw in WV was nowhere near what they would have seen in KY. Had that team played some of the WV AAA teams I may have given them more credence, but they didn't. I won't be arrogant enough to say Belfry would have put a running clock on them, but I think it would have been a comfortable win.I think MC would have been a team in that 4-6 range of KY 3A that year which is respectable, but Belfry was 3-4 TD's better than every 3A team.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:People forget that when MC won the title their All-State RB had originally transferred to Belfry and couldn't crack the depth chart.. he then goes to Mingo and runs for over 1500 yards and was "unstoppable" at times against WV competition.

That Mingo team was a good story, but what they saw in WV was nowhere near what they would have seen in KY. Had that team played some of the WV AAA teams I may have given them more credence, but they didn't. I won't be arrogant enough to say Belfry would have put a running clock on them, but I think it would have been a comfortable win.I think MC would have been a team in that 4-6 range of KY 3A that year which is respectable, but Belfry was 3-4 TD's better than every 3A team.

Agree. And I wasn't saying that Belfry would have put a running clock on that team, I was talking about this years team. But your exactly right, I think at best MC would have been a 4-6 team in Kentucky 3A that year, maybe even the 6-8 range.
Here's what I will say about KY vs. WV and then I will shut up.

People get caught up in which state is better, it's not about comparing apples to apples, it is simply a numbers game.

Whether it is Kentucky, WV, NC, Florida, or Wyoming.... I think universally the same general parameters are in place. A great team in KY is a great team in WV and is a great team in Florida. A bad team in KY is a bad team in WV and is a bad team in FL. It comes down to how many other schools are in that same boat, and that is where things vary.

Trinity: Usually there may be 2 teams in KY and maybe 4 teams at MOST that can stay on the same field as Trinity. In Ohio, where there are more programs and a greater population base, there maybe 10-12 teams as good as Trinity. In Tennessee, there maybe 4 or 5/. In West Virginia, where there is no major city, they may have no team and at best one team on occasional years (Martinsburg). Martinsburg will play good schools from Maryland and Virginia (iron sharpens iron), but you know who they aren't playing? The teams like Dematha, DC Dunbar, Gonzaga, Saint Frances, etc that are the "best of the best". Those are the teams Trinity would play, and though they may not come up on the winning side every game, they would compete much like when they play the GCL teams from Cincy or the best teams out of Nashville or Indy. Trinity wants to compete with the Top 200 or so teams in the Country because that is the level they are at. Martinsburg will play teams that are among the Top 750-1000 in the country because that is where they are at, Really good quality teams.. but just not the same class as the best of the best.

When you don't have competition you dominate. That's why Trinity wins almost every year in KY. If they were in Ohio or Florida they still would be every bit as good of a team, but the chances of them playing teams who can beat them on any given night means they may go from winning 5-straight titles to winning 1 title every five years.

Bluefield, WV for example will run rough-shod in that State in 2A this year. Could Bluefield win the 3A title in KY this year? Maybe... but there are probably 3 and maybe even 4 teams capable of playing with them where they may not have a single team capable in WV.

The better 4 of 5 WV AAA teams would usually translate to Top 10 teams in Kentucky 5A or 6A. Spring Valley probably would be a Top 5-6 team in 6A, Martinsburg a Top 3-4 team. The fact Belfry and Johnson Central has had the success they have had against some of WV's biggest AAA schools should speak volumes. You don't see the AAA teams playing the smaller schools over there after for a reason.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Here's what I will say about KY vs. WV and then I will shut up.

People get caught up in which state is better, it's not about comparing apples to apples, it is simply a numbers game.

Whether it is Kentucky, WV, NC, Florida, or Wyoming.... I think universally the same general parameters are in place. A great team in KY is a great team in WV and is a great team in Florida. A bad team in KY is a bad team in WV and is a bad team in FL. It comes down to how many other schools are in that same boat, and that is where things vary.

Trinity: Usually there may be 2 teams in KY and maybe 4 teams at MOST that can stay on the same field as Trinity. In Ohio, where there are more programs and a greater population base, there maybe 10-12 teams as good as Trinity. In Tennessee, there maybe 4 or 5/. In West Virginia, where there is no major city, they may have no team and at best one team on occasional years (Martinsburg). Martinsburg will play good schools from Maryland and Virginia (iron sharpens iron), but you know who they aren't playing? The teams like Dematha, DC Dunbar, Gonzaga, Saint Frances, etc that are the "best of the best". Those are the teams Trinity would play, and though they may not come up on the winning side every game, they would compete much like when they play the GCL teams from Cincy or the best teams out of Nashville or Indy. Trinity wants to compete with the Top 200 or so teams in the Country because that is the level they are at. Martinsburg will play teams that are among the Top 750-1000 in the country because that is where they are at, Really good quality teams.. but just not the same class as the best of the best.

When you don't have competition you dominate. That's why Trinity wins almost every year in KY. If they were in Ohio or Florida they still would be every bit as good of a team, but the chances of them playing teams who can beat them on any given night means they may go from winning 5-straight titles to winning 1 title every five years.

Bluefield, WV for example will run rough-shod in that State in 2A this year. Could Bluefield win the 3A title in KY this year? Maybe... but there are probably 3 and maybe even 4 teams capable of playing with them where they may not have a single team capable in WV.

The better 4 of 5 WV AAA teams would usually translate to Top 10 teams in Kentucky 5A or 6A. Spring Valley probably would be a Top 5-6 team in 6A, Martinsburg a Top 3-4 team. The fact Belfry and Johnson Central has had the success they have had against some of WV's biggest AAA schools should speak volumes. You don't see the AAA teams playing the smaller schools over there after for a reason.

Great assessment. I would add Huntington High in there as well. I think they'd be a Top 10 team in Kentucky 6A to, especially after seeing them beat Belfry the last two years in the PCB. Cabell Midland not so much. Even though their one of the largest schools in WV if I'm not mistaken. After they manhandled the Pirates the first game of the 4 game series, Belfry came back and won the final three. But I do believe HHS would have success in KY's biggest class.
Just to put the next year thing to rest the Mingo and Belfry game isn’t going to happen and when it rolls around next year you will see I’ve already heard it won’t be happening I guess they blew there shot because as bad as it was over there Saturday night the fans would be out of control at Belfry.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Just to put the next year thing to rest the Mingo and Belfry game isn’t going to happen and when it rolls around next year you will see I’ve already heard it won’t be happening I guess they blew there shot because as bad as it was over there Saturday night the fans wou

ld be out of control at Belfry.

Agreed.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Here's what I will say about KY vs. WV and then I will shut up.

Although I agree with much of what you said. And before I reply, know that I am a Belfry fan, but I follow WV football a little closer than most guys on here because I work over in WV. I would disagree with a few things. While Trinity would win the majority, Martinsburg is on the level of Kentucky’s normal top 3. I watched them both in person. For an example - Martinsburg was better than any team in Kentucky last year. They would have been your 6A Champ last year in KY. Trinity is going to be better 7 years out of 10, but Martinsburg is definitely on that competitive level.

Bluefield has one of the best teams they have ever had this year. The talent they have coming back is unreal for a school that size. Believe they have 6 legit D1 players this year. I believe they would definitely be the favorite in KY 3A if they were in Kentucky. I don’t think Belfry could handle them this year.

WV 2A is like this, this year imo -1. Bluefield———-2. Fairmont Sr.——————————————————————————-3.Everone else
Here’s the thing about the WV fan in general. They want their chance, they want their chance and then.....dud city!!! I mean someone from over there seriously tell me why you thought you could compete with Pikeville and why do you want to play Belfry? It really doesn’t make sense l...and then to behave the way you do? Biggest chips on their shoulders of any fans in the nation. I don’t really pull for the “Eers in football, but I follow them and there are a lot of teams I hate more. But I don’t understand the general attitude of the state. Is it because they have never won jack and choked in their biggest moments? Pardon me, I realize Rifle in the NCAA is top notch. I certainly don’t really see why Mingo thinks they have to outshine everyone with their skits and uniforms....it’s all good and fun I’m sure, but seems to me more effort in the weight room and practicing and trying to build a good team would be paramount. I mean nothing feels better than being a winner, but nothing looks more stupid than showing up for the Big Dance and stumbling over yourself all night...
bucslover68 Wrote:Here’s the thing about the WV fan in general. They want their chance, they want their chance and then.....dud city!!! I mean someone from over there seriously tell me why you thought you could compete with Pikeville and why do you want to play Belfry? It really doesn’t make sense l...and then to behave the way you do? Biggest chips on their shoulders of any fans in the nation. I don’t really pull for the “Eers in football, but I follow them and there are a lot of teams I hate more. But I don’t understand the general attitude of the state. Is it because they have never won jack and choked in their biggest moments? Pardon me, I realize Rifle in the NCAA is top notch. I certainly don’t really see why Mingo thinks they have to outshine everyone with their skits and uniforms....it’s all good and fun I’m sure, but seems to me more effort in the weight room and practicing and trying to build a good team would be paramount. I mean nothing feels better than being a winner, but nothing looks more stupid than showing up for the Big Dance and stumbling over yourself all night...

Mic drop......💯💯💯
mrfootball03 Wrote:Although I agree with much of what you said. And before I reply, know that I am a Belfry fan, but I follow WV football a little closer than most guys on here because I work over in WV. I would disagree with a few things. While Trinity would win the majority, Martinsburg is on the level of Kentucky’s normal top 3. I watched them both in person. For an example - Martinsburg was better than any team in Kentucky last year. They would have been your 6A Champ last year in KY. Trinity is going to be better 7 years out of 10, but Martinsburg is definitely on that competitive level.

Bluefield has one of the best teams they have ever had this year. The talent they have coming back is unreal for a school that size. Believe they have 6 legit D1 players this year. I believe they would definitely be the favorite in KY 3A if they were in Kentucky. I don’t think Belfry could handle them this year.

WV 2A is like this, this year imo -1. Bluefield———-2. Fairmont Sr.——————————————————————————-3.Everone else

I’m gonna disagree with that right from the onset. No way, shape, form or fashion is Martinsburg year in , year out, on par with Trinity. I don’t care how closely you follow it. What Gauntlet does Martinsbirg have to run to dominate WVa football? Jefferson co is a war most years. ...let alone the occasional challenger out in the state. Now....I used to live there. I Watched it weekly. So I know first hand the talent that pours out of the Louisville Metro area. Martinsburg has roughly 17,000 in population. The county has 117,000. Jefferson metro has 1.2 million, with Louisville proper having well over 600,000. Not a slap at Martinsburg at all. Martinsburg Has a wonderful program. But their not on par with the Trinity, St X and others. Simply put, the demographics don’t support that.

if Bluefield has 6 legitimate D1 prospects....not only should they dominate 3A ....but I’m guessing they should be able to play with any 5A school in KY. And maybe most of the 6A programs. Too have that kind of talent at a smaller school is an oddity to say the least. But how often does that happen? I’m guessing not very often. Just like at Belfry. It’s not very often we have 6 D1 caliber kids. But when we did we won 4 straight titles. Boyle Co did that several years ago. A freakish run of D1 talent. Louisville Central has experienced it....but again in Louisville Metro I’m not saying that some years....WVA’s best HS team couldn’t play or even beat KY’s best. But it’s not gonna happen 30% of the time. HS Football....real HS football in KY....is year in year heads and tails better than WVA.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:.

I’m gonna disagree with that right from the onset. No way, shape, form or fashion is Martinsburg year in , year out, on par with Trinity. I don’t care how closely you follow it. What Gauntlet does Martinsbirg have to run to dominate WVa football? Jefferson co is a war most years. ...let alone the occasional challenger out in the state. Now....I used to live there. I Watched it weekly. So I know first hand the talent that pours out of the Louisville Metro area. Martinsburg has roughly 17,000 in population. The county has 117,000. Jefferson metro has 1.2 million, with Louisville proper having well over 600,000. Not a slap at Martinsburg at all. Martinsburg Has a wonderful program. But their not on par with the Trinity, St X and others. Simply put, the demographics don’t support that.

if Bluefield has 6 legitimate D1 prospects....not only should they dominate 3A ....but I’m guessing they should be able to play with any 5A school in KY. And maybe most of the 6A programs. Too have that kind of talent at a smaller school is an oddity to say the least. But how often does that happen? I’m guessing not very often. Just like at Belfry. It’s not very often we have 6 D1 caliber kids. But when we did we won 4 straight titles. Boyle Co did that several years ago. A freakish run of D1 talent. Louisville Central has experienced it....but again in Louisville Metro I’m not saying that some years....WVA’s best HS team couldn’t play or even beat KY’s best. But it’s not gonna happen 30% of the time. HS Football....real HS football in KY....is year in year heads and tails better than WVA.

Truth...
So let me get this straight Belfry fans. Mingo isn't good enough to grace the field with you next year. They also have an arrogant chip on their shoulders and they misbehave at their sporting events. I guess most of you forget all of their so called flaws when one of their kids decides to cross the Tug and attend Belfry. What a bunch of hypocrites .
Ralph Furley Wrote:So let me get this straight Belfry fans. Mingo isn't good enough to grace the field with you next year. They also have an arrogant chip on their shoulders and they misbehave at their sporting events. I guess most of you forget all of their so called flaws when one of their kids decides to cross the Tug and attend Belfry. What a bunch of hypocrites .

Give me a break. Kids go back and forth all the time. Prove me wrong....as for next year... this year was an audition and they failed miserably. If it happens next year fine...If not fine...but remember Mingo has always been the one wanting to play Belfry...watch what you ask for. BTW...I am talking about the fans, not the kids...
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:.

How many Mingo County kids were on the roster at Belfry during those four championships? How many were from Logan County? How soon you all forget just how much Mingo County West Virginia has contributed to the success of Belfry football that past 15 years. I would venture to guess that over half of your offensive backfield this season is from the Mountaineer State. Didn’t you all just receive Tug Valley’s starting QB and Center from last year? I believe I saw that on David and Darryl’s site.
bucslover68 Wrote:Give me a break. Kids go back and forth all the time. Prove me wrong....as for next year... this year was an audition and they failed miserably. If it happens next year fine...If not fine...but remember Mingo has always been the one wanting to play Belfry...watch what you ask for. BTW...I am talking about the fans, not the kids...
Of course you wouldn’t be talking to the kids because without the kids from Mingo County, Belfry football would be slightly better than Pike Central. You all need the West Virginia kids and you know it.