Poll: Who Should Manage the Reds in 2008?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pete Mackanin
6.25%
Joe Girardi
37.50%
Tony LaRussa
25.00%
Bob Brenly
12.50%
Ken Macha
6.25%
Davey Johnson
0%
Other
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Should Manage the Reds in 2008?
More Cowbell Wrote:The Pete Mackanin train keeps right on rolling! The Reds ae now 9-4 since he took over as manager, and really seem to be playing well.

So, the question now is, how good would Mackanin have to go the rest of season to force the Reds to hire him? He took over with 80 games to go, so what would his record in those games have to be? With so much pressure from the fans to get a "name" guy, I say he would have to go 50-30 to stake his claim.

Well you remember with Narron. Wasn't it almost the same situation? Narron came in, the team did good "by the Reds standards of course" and then the next season he was hired on a full time manager. I think if the Reds continue to be on this hot streak we may have to accept the fact that our next manager has already arrived. However, I still say they have to somehow get back to .500 for him to really be safe. That is still 15 games away. I will say if he can get the reds to scratch back to .500 he may have the job for next year.

BTW did you get to read the tread on here that mentions Arroyo to the Brave? That is the first time since Arroyo has been a Red that I have heard his name in trade talk.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Well you remember with Narron. Wasn't it almost the same situation? Narron came in, the team did good "by the Reds standards of course" and then the next season he was hired on a full time manager. I think if the Reds continue to be on this hot streak we may have to accept the fact that our next manager has already arrived. However, I still say they have to somehow get back to .500 for him to really be safe. That is still 15 games away. I will say if he can get the reds to scratch back to .500 he may have the job for next year.

You say they have to get back to .500, well if Mackanin goes 50-30 overall like I have mentioned, that is how they would finish (they were 20 under when he took the job). Could they still not hire him back if he went 20 games over during his brief tenure? I don't think any of the other midseason replacements did that well.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:You say they have to get back to .500, well if Mackanin goes 50-30 overall like I have mentioned, that is how they would finish (they were 20 under when he took the job). Could they still not hire him back if he went 20 games over during his brief tenure? I don't think any of the other midseason replacements did that well.

I would say Krivsky has something in mind that if he can get the palyer's to the point that thy will play up to expectations, and the record show drastic improvement like we have mentioned then I would say has not other choice but to hire him. If it is fixed (refering to motivated players, great record, more excitment) don't bother it until it falls apart.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I would say Krivsky has something in mind that if he can get the palyer's to the point that thy will play up to expectations, and the record show drastic improvement like we have mentioned then I would say has not other choice but to hire him. If it is fixed (refering to motivated players, great record, more excitment) don't bother it until it falls apart.

When you said fixed, I at first wondered if you meant the games were fixed! LOL

I see what you were saying now...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:When you said fixed, I at first wondered if you meant the games were fixed! LOL

I see what you were saying now...

No, no, even if the games were fixed the Reds would find some way to screw it up Lol Smile
Mackanin is now 10-4 after beating the Marlins in the series opener tonight! Do you guys think the players might like his upbeat style as well?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Mackanin is now 10-4 after beating the Marlins in the series opener tonight! Do you guys think the players might like his upbeat style as well?

I don't really know what it is but man if he can get that team to third place in the divison I will be ecstatic not to mention if he gets them back to .500! Tonight Freel was the man! It seems that here lately every night a different has stepped up. This is a great turnaround.
Just thought I would bring this old thread back up to show everyone that when I had this poll last month, no one voted for Mackanin to be next year's manager (including me).

With Mackanin now at 29-19 through 48 games, anyone want to change their vote? I'm starting to wonder about mine...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
After neglecting the thread all weekend, I expecteed that there would be a couple votes for Mackanin. I think I may give the guy some credit and say that it is a toss up regarding what path we should go. I went to the Reds game last Tuesday (start of the streak) and the one on Saturday and man there was a good energy flowing about the team. I am loving this current lineup that Makanin has came up with so as of right know I do not know where I stand.
More Cowbell Wrote:Just thought I would bring this old thread back up to show everyone that when I had this poll last month, no one voted for Mackanin to be next year's manager (including me).

With Mackanin now at 29-19 through 48 games, anyone want to change their vote? I'm starting to wonder about mine...

I'll change mine as well. Still think the Reds will make a run at Tony LaRussa if he's available, if not, Mackanin should get the nod. I don't want to get too caught up in hiring a "name guy" because Mackanin is unlike the previous to managers that wore the interim tag before being hired full time. One thing that has impressed me the most is that he has cleaned up the bullpen by defining some roles (Burton is the setup 8th inning man, Bray will work the 7th, Weathers will close). He's also eased Majewski into the rotation to help him gain some confidence and I'll be the first to say that I gave up on the "Magic Man" weeks ago - jury's still out on him though with me.

Mackanin doesn't tinker with the lineup either. Something else I like.

The Reds have to go 22-10 and the Cubs have to go 16-17 in order for the Reds to "tie" Chicago for the NL Central title.
Seems to me that Pete Mackanin should be the manager next year. He's turned this bunch around, look how much better they have played since he took over.
Redneck Wrote:Seems to me that Pete Mackanin should be the manager next year. He's turned this bunch around, look how much better they have played since he took over.
yeah i agree the reds have a chance to make playoffs.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I'll change mine as well. Still think the Reds will make a run at Tony LaRussa if he's available, if not, Mackanin should get the nod. I don't want to get too caught up in hiring a "name guy" because Mackanin is unlike the previous to managers that wore the interim tag before being hired full time. One thing that has impressed me the most is that he has cleaned up the bullpen by defining some roles (Burton is the setup 8th inning man, Bray will work the 7th, Weathers will close). He's also eased Majewski into the rotation to help him gain some confidence and I'll be the first to say that I gave up on the "Magic Man" weeks ago - jury's still out on him though with me.

Mackanin doesn't tinker with the lineup either. Something else I like.

I really like Mackanin too, he really seems to have changed the atmosphere in the clubhouse. Everyone seems to enjoy playing for him, and I think he gets the most out of his team. I also like that he has settled on a set lineup every night. I'm not sure if he deserves the credit for the pen, but they have certainly gotten things shored up lately. With Weathers, Burton, and Bray at the end, then Cooter and a healthy Majewski in the middle, the bullpen looks to be a strength next year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Redneck Wrote:Seems to me that Pete Mackanin should be the manager next year.

If the Reds make the playoffs, Mackanin should be manager of the year.