Poll: Who Should Manage the Reds in 2008?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pete Mackanin
6.25%
Joe Girardi
37.50%
Tony LaRussa
25.00%
Bob Brenly
12.50%
Ken Macha
6.25%
Davey Johnson
0%
Other
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Should Manage the Reds in 2008?
Ok, the last poll about Junior and Dunn generated a lot of good discussion, so now it's time for a new one. With interim manager Pete Mackanin now 5-1 since taking over the job, the team is definitely riding a high going into the break. But should he manage the team next year, or has the time come to go after a bigger name in the offseason? The last two guys the Reds hired as interim manager (Miley and Narron) did fairly well the rest of the year and were hired full-time, only to crash and burn within 2 years, so the odds are not in Mackanin's favor. However, if he goes, say, 50-30 during his tenure (not likely, but just imagine it is), could they possibly tell him to take a hike?

There are several established names out there, including Joe Girardi, Bob Brenly, Ken Macha, and Davey Johnson. Also, the rumors that Tony LaRussa may be available after this season make this even more intriguing.

So, who do you want? If you vote for 'Other', please post and tell me who it is...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Joe Girardi out of the bunch. Look at what he done with the Marlins last year only to be ousted. He turned down Baltimore because he knows they wouldn't give him anybody to work with so unless the Reds get pitching I'm sure he'd turn them down too.

Anybody BUT LaRussa would be fine with me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree that Girardi is likely out of the Reds' league. It is said that he is waiting for the Yankees' job to open up, which could actually happen after this year. If not them, any team with an opening would be after him, and I doubt the Reds will be high on his list. Still, he would be an excellent hire if they could get him.

Out of curiosity, why would you be so opposed to hiring LaRussa? Not trying to argue, just like to know your reasons. I suppose that after what he said about Harang earlier this year, there would be at least one current Red who would agree with you! Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wouldnt be TOO surprised if one day you wont see Girardi wearing Red. I believe the Yankees will replace Torre with Mattingly, and then Cincy could have a shot at hiring Girardi afterwards. I wouldnt say he's out of Cincy's league, I mean hell, the guy managed Florida (and done an outstanding job too), and there are several similarities with the clubs and how the upper management handles the organization. I'm a Pirates fan, and you all are more than welcome to take Jim Tracy, lol..we'll take Girardi Big Grin
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree that Girardi is likely out of the Reds' league. It is said that he is waiting for the Yankees' job to open up, which could actually happen after this year. If not them, any team with an opening would be after him, and I doubt the Reds will be high on his list. Still, he would be an excellent hire if they could get him.

Out of curiosity, why would you be so opposed to hiring LaRussa? Not trying to argue, just like to know your reasons. I suppose that after what he said about Harang earlier this year, there would be at least one current Red who would agree with you! Big Grin
There is a name that has NEVER been brought up to manage the Reds that I think would fit PERFECT and who is a fan favorite and who is VERY TOUGH NOSED. Frank Robinson, who used to play for the Reds. Heck, I would go to a Reds game just to see Robinson! But he is a good manager who has done pretty good with some REALLY bad teams!
I like Bob Brenley - World Series championship and all...I also wouldn't be against Billy Hatcher, the current Reds 1st base coach...What about someone with fire under their belt like Ron Oester? He's been a castaway since losing the Reds job to Bob Boone years ago.

I would like an established name though for a change.
Hell JJ I think we could do as good a job as the ones they have had in there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Jus like Jamey said I wouldnt be against Hatcher either, but from the list up top I would love to Joe Girardi get the job!
What about the likes of a Joe Morgan,. Mr. Bench, or even the likes of Barry Larkin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I wouldnt be TOO surprised if one day you wont see Girardi wearing Red. I believe the Yankees will replace Torre with Mattingly, and then Cincy could have a shot at hiring Girardi afterwards. I wouldnt say he's out of Cincy's league, I mean hell, the guy managed Florida (and done an outstanding job too), and there are several similarities with the clubs and how the upper management handles the organization. I'm a Pirates fan, and you all are more than welcome to take Jim Tracy, lol..we'll take Girardi Big Grin

I'm afraid Girardi is even more so out of the Pirates' league than the Reds. Big Grin Yes, he did manage Florida, which is one of the worst jobs in baseball, but after the performance he did there he will most certainly be at or near the top of every team's list that has an opening this offseason. The guy took a Marlins team last year that had a miniscule payroll and almost got them to .500, winning probably 20 more games than they should have. He will have his pick of jobs this winter.

I think the Reds would hire him in a heartbeat if he would come to Cincy, and I suppose if things fall the right way (such as the Yanks not hiring him), it could happen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jammin' jamey Wrote:I like Bob Brenley - World Series championship and all...I also wouldn't be against Billy Hatcher, the current Reds 1st base coach...What about someone with fire under their belt like Ron Oester? He's been a castaway since losing the Reds job to Bob Boone years ago.

I would like an established name though for a change.

Ron Oester, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember being very disappointed when he din't get the job and Bob Boone (uggh) did, all because of the Reds' penny-pinching ways. I wonder what he is doing these days, if he is coaching somewhere or what? For that matter, I wonder if he has forgiven the team for the way it treated a former player...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bring in Chris Sabo to manage the Redlegs. Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't know if the would offer him the job or if he would take it. I'd like to see Joe Morgan get a shot.
How about Joe Torre?? He is all but done in NY. He would look good in RED!!
bball fan Wrote:How about Joe Torre?? He is all but done in NY. He would look good in RED!!

I thought about including Torre as one of the choices, but decided against it. I guess it's still hard to believe the Yanks could fire him as good as his teams have been, but I guess George has fired people despite having a better record than they have this year. I agree, he would also be a fine choice, but I still think he would have other, more attractive job offers if he became available this winter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sabo was one of my favorite players for the Reds. I say bring in Jim Leyland from Detroit. He won the title with the Marlins and now look at the things he is doing with the Tigers. He is a proven winner and has turned some teams around quickly.
More Cowbell Wrote:Ron Oester, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember being very disappointed when he din't get the job and Bob Boone (uggh) did, all because of the Reds' penny-pinching ways. I wonder what he is doing these days, if he is coaching somewhere or what? For that matter, I wonder if he has forgiven the team for the way it treated a former player...

I believe Oester is the current manager of the Cincinnati Steam of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League.

Batpuff Wrote:What about the likes of a Joe Morgan,. Mr. Bench, or even the likes of Barry Larkin.

Morgan is locked in with television and Larkin is all chummy with Jim Leatherpants Bowden in Washington as a front office guy I believe. I have always heard (and I stress the word heard) that previous ownership had asked Bench to be the manager and the he has always shown interest but doesn't want to give up his lifestyle in California and financially doesn't need the job.
GRIZZ Wrote:Sabo was one of my favorite players for the Reds. I say bring in Jim Leyland from Detroit. He won the title with the Marlins and now look at the things he is doing with the Tigers. He is a proven winner and has turned some teams around quickly.

Leyland's not coming to Cincinnati. He's got too good a thing going in Detroit, managing possibly the best team in baseball. Why would he take over our mess?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jammin' jamey Wrote:Morgan is locked in with television and Larkin is all chummy with Jim Leatherpants Bowden in Washington as a front office guy I believe. I have always heard (and I stress the word heard) that previous ownership had asked Bench to be the manager and the he has always shown interest but doesn't want to give up his lifestyle in California and financially doesn't need the job.

Yeah, Leatherpants and Larkin seem pretty tight. Wasn't Bowden the GM when Carl Lindner caved to local pressure and gave Larkin that ridiculous 3-year contract a few years ago? That was one of the worst moves the Reds have made over the last several years, they gave way too much money to an aging legend who couldn't even stay on the field, all because Lindner was thin-skinned and didn't like being booed at his home stadium. That huge contract virtually hamstrung the team from making any other significant moves until the 3 years was up. Way to show some gravitas, Carl, trading the long-term health of the franchise in order to be popular. Sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Leyland's not coming to Cincinnati. He's got too good a thing going in Detroit, managing possibly the best team in baseball. Why would he take over our mess?

I agree he has a great thing going in Detroit, but I would love to see him come down to Cincinnati and manage our Reds. When was our last post season appearance in the post season, like 1995? The Reds fans have been patient for the most part over the last decade but its time to actually make a push like the new owners promised when they bought the club a couple of years ago. Leyland would be a great choice, I highly doubt he will come, but he would still be my choice of a new skipper.
GRIZZ Wrote:I agree he has a great thing going in Detroit, but I would love to see him come down to Cincinnati and manage our Reds. When was our last post season appearance in the post season, like 1995? The Reds fans have been patient for the most part over the last decade but its time to actually make a push like the new owners promised when they bought the club a couple of years ago. Leyland would be a great choice, I highly doubt he will come, but he would still be my choice of a new skipper.

I will agree with you that Leyland would be an excellent choice as manager, I just don't consider him a possible candidate. I don't think Detroit will fire him anytime soon (LOL), and I can't see any reason he would leave them to come to us. So while it might be nice to imagine, I think the chances of this happening are nil.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Yeah, Leatherpants and Larkin seem pretty tight. Wasn't Bowden the GM when Carl Lindner caved to local pressure and gave Larkin that ridiculous 3-year contract a few years ago? That was one of the worst moves the Reds have made over the last several years, they gave way too much money to an aging legend who couldn't even stay on the field, all because Lindner was thin-skinned and didn't like being booed at his home stadium. That huge contract virtually hamstrung the team from making any other significant moves until the 3 years was up. Way to show some gravitas, Carl, trading the long-term health of the franchise in order to be popular. Sad

Yes, Bowden was the GM at the time. I could think of worse things Linder/Bowden did than Larkin though. It was nice to see him retire as a Red. He will be in the Hall of Fame (did I say that?) Also, he was an All-Star in this final year and finished a solid career, although the Linder did cave in and pay too much for him in the end instead of executing a trade to the Mets. It was a "heart over mind" decision at the time made by Linder.
They need a Jim Leyland or Ozzie Guillen..Someone to light a fire under there asses! They are talking that Ozzie may get the axe. If so, the Reds need to jump on it!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:They need a Jim Leyland or Ozzie Guillen..Someone to light a fire under there asses! They are talking that Ozzie may get the axe. If so, the Reds need to jump on it!

I had not even thought of Ozzie Guillen....I will have to ponder this one.
He is the type of coach that the Reds need and has needed for quite some time now!
jammin' jamey Wrote:Yes, Bowden was the GM at the time. I could think of worse things Linder/Bowden did than Larkin though. It was nice to see him retire as a Red. He will be in the Hall of Fame (did I say that?) Also, he was an All-Star in this final year and finished a solid career, although the Linder did cave in and pay too much for him in the end instead of executing a trade to the Mets. It was a "heart over mind" decision at the time made by Linder.

Hey, I liked Larkin as a Red, too, but that doesn't mean I was happy when they signed that contract. Most other Reds fans I know were celebrating, but not me. I always value the team as a whole over any one player, and at the time I knew what signing Larkin would mean for the next years = no room to add payroll. Now, no one could have foreseen that Larkin would have been injured as much as he was during those 3 years, but he was getting old and his skills were in decline anyway, and they paid him probably twice what he actually should have gotten. Just think what could have been if we had gotten some nice prospects from the Mets, not to mention several million dollars a year to spend elsewhere...Sad Oh well, guess there's no reason to vent over old mistakes.

Seems I've gotten off-topic, so I'll bring it back. Did anyone who voted for LaRussa see the mess he caused by not playing his team's best player, Albert Pujols, in the All-Star Game? Makes you wonder how he would get along with some of our team's players.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
After tonight's win over the Braves, Pete Mackanin is now 8-4 as manager. I still think the team will (and probably should) get a big-name guy in the off-season, but I have to admit I have been impressed with the way the team has played under this guy.

If anyone has seen any of his interviews he has given, especially on FSN Ohio after a game, he really seems to have a good attitude both toward the game and his job...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:After tonight's win over the Braves, Pete Mackanin is now 8-4 as manager. I still think the team will (and probably should) get a big-name guy in the off-season, but I have to admit I have been impressed with the way the team has played under this guy.

If anyone has seen any of his interviews he has given, especially on FSN Ohio after a game, he really seems to have a good attitude both toward the game and his job...

I have not been able to watch the Reds games on tv since leaving school earlier this summer. But it is great that this guy is pretty enthusiastic about this job, even if it is probably just until the offseason.
Is anyone suprised that Joe Giradi is leading the poll? At first I was saying that Tony La Russa would be the best fit but after seeing the crap that has gone on lately with him and his players I am beginning to wonder.
The Pete Mackanin train keeps right on rolling! The Reds ae now 9-4 since he took over as manager, and really seem to be playing well.

So, the question now is, how good would Mackanin have to go the rest of season to force the Reds to hire him? He took over with 80 games to go, so what would his record in those games have to be? With so much pressure from the fans to get a "name" guy, I say he would have to go 50-30 to stake his claim.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]