Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Virus that is Quitting!
It sounds like every school has this problem, I always told my child that if you start something (sports or whatever) you had to finish it. Does this seem to be more of a problem at the larger schools than the smaller ones?
bball fan Wrote:Is Harmon always working or just good enough to be good at 3 sports without spending any extra time on any of them??

Daniel is just a pure athlete. He can take off for months at a time then come in and play like he does now. The last I heard was he was taking the summer off to get his body all healed up for this coming school year sports. Cant blame a feller for that with all the punishment he takes during all three sports over the course of a year.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
bball fan Wrote:kids say they aren't playing this time of year... every year, so they don't have to spend the whole entire summer in the weightroom or going to football camp.
The REAL problem is that they think they have to spend "the whole entire summer in the weightroom." There are 168 hours in a summer week available for "being a kid." What percentage is 6-8 hours out of 168? (4%).

Then, consider that there's an entire DEAD PERIOD of TWO FULL WEEKS where there's NO requirement to work toward getting better.

When it comes to GAMEDAY however, those same kids unwilling to spend even 4% of their summers want a LOT more playing time than 4% of the game!

bball fan Wrote:McAnallen got a job so he wouldn't have to lift,
His family required him to work after school. A LOT different than the reason a few weren't at weights after school.

Can't tell mom and dad they can't require their boy to work after school.

BUT, it should be mentioned as well that Houston lifted EVERY workout day in his PE class (that's 4 days a week from January to the end of school; and prior to March, he was in bball after school anyway).

bball fan Wrote:Price and Gibson are just duds,
Those kids just have "higher priorities" than lifting after school's over. (Lucky for them, football in general and playing time specifically aren't very high priorities to them either.)

bball fan Wrote:Harmon hides all summer so he doesn't have to lift.
Probably needed a physical and mental break after going from one sport to another to another while never choosing to take ANY amount of break in-between them. Understandable. Missing weights for a SCHOOL SPORT is much different than SAYING you're missing weights because of a school sport when many others in that same sport get to weights every day before they go to the other sport practice.

He's the kind of kid that won't complain if there are make-ups to do later for time missed in the summer.

Plus, he lifted year-round, 4-days a week (other than basketball game-days), in his PE class.

bball fan Wrote:Look at Pikeville last season, Ritchie, Price, Staggs, and others didn't decide to play until after the hard stuff was over. So this year the same thing is happening.
Price was a transfer and thus could NOT do anything with the team until transfer papers came back from KHSAA. (Actually, he came to practice every day on his own and even did conditioning on his own off to the side until that point.) Didn't play in an actual game until about the 5th or 6th game of the season.

Staggs decided after Dead Period to play football at all. He was NOT a "varsity player" in games until 3rd or 4th game of season.

Ritchie chose to not to play initially, then realized he'd made a mistake after team had practiced for 3 weeks. He wasn't "just allowed to join" at that point. The team voted to allow him to join them, but restrictions were made that he must do extra work before and after each practice to make up time missed, there was make-up conditioning, and he was not allowed to dress for a game until as many games had been played as weeks he didn't practice.

bball fan Wrote:Pikeville football will be fine....when everyone comes out after the summer is over when the fun part starts! The sad part is that Pikeville doesn't have enough athletes to just kick them off so they have to take them back and let them play!!
The Ritchie case above should prove to kids thinking they can "sit out until the fun part starts" that this is NOT the case. There will be extra work for them to do before and after practice, there will be extra conditioning, there will be games to sit out in street clothes. And even before that, their potential teammates would have to ALLOW them to join them -- if it's well-known that they're "trying just to get out of the hard stuff," I doubt they'd be allowed.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:All the incoming freshmen say theyre not playing cause theyre afraid of getting the "freshmen treatment".

What "freshman treatment?"

Not sure what these kids are thinking, but any kind of "hazing" done to freshmen is in the PAST at Pikeville.

The only "Freshman treatment" at PHS now is that they have to perform in a "talent show" at camp -- one in which THEY are actually making skits ABOUT the older kids on the team.

Just like at any program going from the Middle School to the High School level, the WORK does get harder. The emphasis on doing things PERFECT IN PRACTICE increases. The COMPETITION gets (a lot) tougher. If THOSE are what they mean by "Freshman treatment," then yes, it MAY be influencing some not to play...

...but it can NOT be fear of the kind of "hazing" rumored to have happened in the recent past.
Panther1 Wrote:What "freshman treatment?"

Not sure what these kids are thinking, but any kind of "hazing" done to freshmen is in the PAST at Pikeville.

The only "Freshman treatment" at PHS now is that they have to perform in a "talent show" at camp -- one in which THEY are actually making skits ABOUT the older kids on the team.

Just like at any program going from the Middle School to the High School level, the WORK does get harder. The emphasis on doing things PERFECT IN PRACTICE increases. The COMPETITION gets (a lot) tougher. If THOSE are what they mean by "Freshman treatment," then yes, it MAY be influencing some not to play...

...but it can NOT be fear of the kind of "hazing" rumored to have happened in the recent past.
Im sure thats the reason. I know its just another excuse to get out of work.
Those are great explanations Panther 1!!! So what's the problem?...Sounds like everything with Pikeville Football is A-OK and there is nothing to worry about. So why is anyone concerned about a "quitting" virus??

Are there any players that could provide immediate help this coming season that aren't planning on playing...that we aren't aware of? ....not counting Price....I remember when he was in JR. High, he was supposed to be the greatest athlete ever. He has really been a major dissapointment for SV, or ER, or PHS...or wherever he goes to school now.
Good Luck this season!
bball fan Wrote:Those are great explanations Panther 1!!! So what's the problem?...Sounds like everything with Pikeville Football is A-OK and there is nothing to worry about. So why is anyone concerned about a "quitting" virus??

Are there any players that could provide immediate help this coming season that aren't planning on playing...that we aren't aware of? ....not counting Price....I remember when he was in JR. High, he was supposed to be the greatest athlete ever. He has really been a major dissapointment for SV, or ER, or PHS...or wherever he goes to school now.
justin walker (chunk)
bball fan Wrote:Those are great explanations Panther 1!!! So what's the problem?...Sounds like everything with Pikeville Football is A-OK and there is nothing to worry about. So why is anyone concerned about a "quitting" virus??
If youd read my first post on here again I wasnt specifically talking about Pikeville. I guess it was more social commentary about the younger kids today than it was anything. This is not just a Pikeville problem. Its happening everywhere.
part of this virus in these mothers that are afraid their son will get hurt playing football. these mothers need to suck it up and let boys be boys.
qb destroyer Wrote:part of this virus in these mothers that are afraid their son will get hurt playing football. these mothers need to suck it up and let boys be boys.
I would agree with that on the JR high and little league levels. At the high school
level these boys SHOULD be past that IMO. If theyre is any role the parents play in this "virus" is that A FEW parents who if truth were known have been infected with this "virus" themselves at some point in theyre lives. Tell theyre child that the only reason they arent getting to play is either the coach dont like them or they play the politics card, or something else that is more interesting and less humiliating than the truth. I guess it would reflect bad on them as parents if when someone asks them why theyre child isnt getting playing time if they answered "Well my kid didnt put the work in necessary and has a poor attitude". If I ever heard that come from a parents mouth at a game Id buy them a hot dog and pepsi for theyre honesty LOL! Instead all you hear are excuses from these parents which only permeates the "Virus".
Basketball players have no business lifting four days a week " in Season"!!!!
No wonder Harmon is hiding.....:dontthink
thepharmacist Wrote:Basketball players have no business lifting four days a week " in Season"!!!!
Apparently Bart Williams doesnt think so. He credited Copelys weight program to his teams success the past 2 years. And if Im not mistaken they lifted "IN Season" both years. Any kid that plays 3 sports AND lifts during school doesnt classify as "HIDING". :confused:
thepharmacist Wrote:Basketball players have no business lifting four days a week " in Season"!!!!
They don't lift on game days and Bart even said it makes a big difference in the way the kids play. Harmon hasn't been hiding. He has been in weights pretty consistently since baseball was over. He is not hiding, he just needs a little break. Bart may think he is hiding from him but you don't hear that from the football coaches.
BTW, nice post by Panther 1 I was going to say the same stuff but you beat me to it.
Really???
NBA and college players do.
bigpun Wrote:They don't lift on game days and Bart even said it makes a big difference in the way the kids play. Harmon hasn't been hiding. He has been in weights pretty consistently since baseball was over. He is not hiding, he just needs a little break. Bart may think he is hiding from him but you don't hear that from the football coaches.
I am pretty sure that Bart gave Harmon the summer off so he could recover from a long, long year playing 3 sports. I don't think many coaches would agree to do this but obviously he must be one that is ok with it.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Really???
NBA and college players do.
Ok

High School Basketball players have no business lifting four days a week in season and the thread is about quitting and I just think that sometimes HS coaches put too much pressure on kids particularly when they play both football and basketball and this might possibly have had some effect on Harmon's attendance this summer. I applaud Bart for allowing Harmon time to rest if in fact that's what he has done.
So you will applaud the basketball coaches for "giving him the summer off". Well considering I heard Williams with my own ears complaining about Harmon not being around after he had just lifted with the football team causes me to think it does bother Bart. Also considering football is his next sport to play and the football coaches don't say anything cause me to think the opposite.
lol..i sure hope this so called virus doesnt find its way from pikeville to prestonsburg..
dfblackcat53 Wrote:lol..i sure hope this so called virus doesnt find its way from pikeville to prestonsburg..
Like I said this isnt just a pikeville problem. Its been going on everywhere.
bigpun Wrote:So you will applaud the basketball coaches for "giving him the summer off". Well considering I heard Williams with my own ears complaining about Harmon not being around after he had just lifted with the football team causes me to think it does bother Bart. Also considering football is his next sport to play and the football coaches don't say anything cause me to think the opposite.
Are we supposed to be surprised that Williams was bothered that Harmon took the whole summer off???? Sure he was!! He is trying to catch Shelby Valley and Harmon was a starter and maybe Pikeville's best player so I am not surprised. I would think that the entire basketball team is a little down on Harmon although the break will probably do him some good......but if he needs a break so badly why is he lifting???
Because he is the type of kid who is going to give it his all in whatever season it is. Basketball is not his next sport so why do anything for basketball when it isn't basketball season. Football happens to be his next sport and he wants to get ready for it. After football he will then get ready for basketball. I don't blame him one bit for what he is doing and others shouldn't either. Get off his back I am sure he knows what he is doing.
This is a really good thread. I know from my experience that basketball dads are the worlds worst for trying to talk kids out of playing other sports. I think it is just ridiculous that these parents would try to keep their own kids from getting better. That is what playing multiple sports does is make you better for other sports. Playing one helps for the others. I read not to long ago that if college coaches were stuck between two kids and one scholarship they will give the kid who played multiple sports a scholarship before they would somebody who just played one sport.
bigpun Wrote:Because he is the type of kid who is going to give it his all in whatever season it is. Basketball is not his next sport so why do anything for basketball when it isn't basketball season. Football happens to be his next sport and he wants to get ready for it. After football he will then get ready for basketball. I don't blame him one bit for what he is doing and others shouldn't either. Get off his back I am sure he knows what he is doing.
The last time I checked June is not football or basketball season. Football season begins July 15 and basketball season begins Oct. 15. This "football" is the next season is hogwash. Football teams get to practice full strength for 1 1/2 months before the first game. Pikeville's basketball might be lucky to practice 1 1/2 days full strength before their first game. So IMO Harmon owed it to his teammates in basketball to play with them instead of lift in June!! If Honaker and Baker can do both in June, why can't Harmon????
This was not intended and will not be a "Bash Daniel Harmon" thread. Harmon is NOT a quitter and thats what this thread is about. If you B-ball guys are mad cause every player isnt in gym all summer cause they play another sport my suggestion is to go and be SV fans where they hijack every good athlete in the school and scare them into playing b-ball only. Pikeville is a small 1a school where we have to share athletes and the practices sometimes overlap one another. If these kids are only playing one sport then they have more time than someone playing 2 and a heck of alot more time than someone playing THREE. If they arent given a brake you risk burning them out and that will make all the sports here suffer. Harmon will be ready to work and give it his all come july 15 and Im sure he will do the same when b-ball and baseball season starts.
In my opinion June is when you start getting yourself prepared for the physicality of football. With the physical nature of football you need more time to get yourself ready to play. You also have more kids with more responsibilities than you do in basketball. Football is the most complex sport thus requires the most prep time. Schools who are regularly in the playoffs can't help that. The kid plays three sports and probably needed the time off. Come basketball I am sure he will be ready to play. But this IS the time to get ready for football.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:This was not intended and will not be a "Bash Daniel Harmon" thread. Harmon is NOT a quitter and thats what this thread is about. If you B-ball guys are mad cause every player isnt in gym all summer cause they play another sport my suggestion is to go and be SV fans where they hijack every good athlete in the school and scare them into playing b-ball only. Pikeville is a small 1a school where we have to share athletes and the practices sometimes overlap one another. If these kids are only playing one sport then they have more time than someone playing 2 and a heck of alot more time than someone playing THREE. If they arent given a brake you risk burning them out and that will make all the sports here suffer. Harmon will be ready to work and give it his all come july 15 and Im sure he will do the same when b-ball and baseball season starts.

ive heard that pikevilles whole line has quit and everything..any truth behind this rumor
dfblackcat53 Wrote:ive heard that pikevilles whole line has quit and everything..any truth behind this rumor
They have had only one lineman quit and he is about 5'5" and 170 lbs. at the most. He would start if he played but he thinks he is going to be a powerlifter therfore he quit.
Capt. DH Wrote:They have had only one lineman quit and he is about 5'5" and 170 lbs. at the most. He would start if he played but he thinks he is going to be a powerlifter therfore he quit.

There's no rule that says you can't play football AND be a great powerlifter. The best powerlifters in the state of Kentucky have pretty much ALL been football players too (with the exception of a kid or two from Trinity). Caudill of Prestonsburg, Pryor of Lou. Eastern, Oderinde of Scott Co., and a kid from Central Hardin that holds pretty much EVERY powerlifting record at the lower weights all were football players as well as champion powerlifters.