•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central Coaching Controversy
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:I never cussed a kid for no reason and I never put any kids down or called them names. May of told them to quit playing like a bunch of pu@@ies. Have used a few words in a timeout. Guess me and you would had to fight then if that was the case. Im sure if you played football, you have surely had a few coaches say something similar to you.

What was your reason to call a kid a P......? Could you not find another way to communicate with a child? The english dictionary has thousands of words in it, why only chose to use 10 of them?
UpYours Wrote:What was your reason to call a kid a P......? Could you not find another way to communicate with a child? The english dictionary has thousands of words in it, why only chose to use 10 of them?

Maybe "sissies" would have been a better choice of word. Even better to emphatically tell them they were playing "soft." There are other English word could have been used instead of the P word.
I sure am glad rojas and upyours has everything figured out. I guess when the drill sergeant in the Marine Corp uses a cuss word to your babies you gonna get him fired to. Good god. Aint no wonder most teams around here suck.
Did this coach resign, get fired or is he still there?
DarrinC Wrote:No I coached middle school and had a pretty good record and just for the record if someone talked to one of my boys like u claim u did there would of been a fight. Nobody will ever cuss my boys for no reason specially a washed up coach

Can’t be washed up if you’ve never been anything 🤷🏻*♂️
BCF4L Wrote:I’ve coached every level and have never cussed at any kid. As a matter of fact, I don’t even cuss in general. My kids still text me asking for advice and guidance even after I’ve stepped away from coaching and moved cities. So, I’m not sure what type of kids you’re coaching or programs you’ve been apart of, but your take is absolutely ridiculous if you think “some kids need to be cussed before they’ll perform”.

This is where we see what the superintendent is made of. We watched previous regimes ruin other sports at other schools in the county by doing nothing when complaints mounted. Let’s see if the last real sign of hope for athletics in Floyd County gets taken down because the new administration refuses to do anything.

Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:I sure am glad rojas and upyours has everything figured out. I guess when the drill sergeant in the Marine Corp uses a cuss word to your babies you gonna get him fired to. Good god. Aint no wonder most teams around here suck.

what happens to them drill sergeant if them babies are well educated and out rank them or are their commanding officer???
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:I sure am glad rojas and upyours has everything figured out. I guess when the drill sergeant in the Marine Corp uses a cuss word to your babies you gonna get him fired to. Good god. Aint no wonder most teams around here suck.

Well, the coach I used as an example of a coach who never cusses or allows others to cuss in the presence of his players has won more high school basketball games and more Sweet 16 games than coach in the history of Kentucky high school basketball. Just think of how well he could have done if he had only told his teams they played like the "P" word every now and then. (Sarcasm)

Actually, even the military has learned that cussing or swearing serves no real purpose. If you google it, the military has implemented a policy discouraging drill instructors from using vulgar language. Times have changed.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Did this coach resign, get fired or is he still there?

He was suspended 3 games by the Floyd County Board of Education, though it wound up being 4 games as Floyd Central added a game against Piarist this week. I dont know if the Piarist game was added before or after the suspension.

He is scheduled to return the sidelines this coming Saturday as Floyd Central takes on Hazard at the Buffalo Wild Wings Shootout at Pike Central. When the Herald Leader article came out, I thought maybe something would have changed but as of now, he is still the coach at Floyd Central.

High school athletics & the Armed Forces are a totally different situation.

Playing & practicing high school athletics is meant to be fun and give kids the chance to play the sports they love.

We're not sending the Floyd Central boys basketball team to make an assault on enemy soil.

College campuses across the nation have created "Safe Spaces" for the same age group (give or take a few years) of kids we are talking about now. Equipped with crayons, coloring books, blankets, pacifiers.... pretty much a day care setting for college aged kids.

I'm from the mountains.... I'm far from a snowflake, actually my middle name could be Heat I'm so polar opposite of the liberal way of thinking. The student population Floyd Central are from areas that has some of the best people you'd ever meet. Everybody knows everybody or knows your family lineage better than you do. You'd better not cross them though....... cause those same people can be worse than any gang member on the streets if you mess with them or their family or property.
My point being..... those players are tough. It's not like we're talking about a private school or some schools in the golden triangle.

No doubt in my mind if this happened in Lex. or Louisville that there would be protests and rallies to get all of the staff involved removed from their positions. Public outcry would be totally different than what people saying about this situation.... "Kids need to be tough" or "I got yelled at and cussed at when I was a kid and I turned out alright"..... you know what, you probably did turn out alright, but just because it happened to you then still doesn't mean it was right.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed

Bulldog you failed to answer my question. What did the kid do to deserve to be called a P.....? And why could you not find a better way to communicate with a child? Simple questions, very curious of your answers. Educate all of us that don't understand WHY coaches feel the need to use profanity to get a child's attention.
You know in all honesty, a coach shouldnt have to cuss to fire kids up. All of you are right. If I had it all to do over again, Id just put the kids on the bench that didnt play hard and give the next kid a chance.
RickyBobby Wrote:A good cussing never hurt anybody! I’d love for my boy to play for Spurlock! Some of you all need to toughen up a little bit.

Cussing your boy will toughen him up?
rojas Wrote:Cussing your boy will toughen him up?

I played for a coach who didn't always use proper language, I think I turned out just fine. I also agree that cussing and putting them down are two different things. I don't think you should disgrace or put a kid down, but a little language every now and then doesn't hurt imo. Dont know this coach and don't know what actually happened just giving my input on this discussion.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:You know in all honesty, a coach shouldnt have to cuss to fire kids up. All of you are right. If I had it all to do over again, Id just put the kids on the bench that didnt play hard and give the next kid a chance.

Bingo Bulldog you hit a home run with this idea. Give them instruction and constructive criticism and tell them the bench is also available, this takes care of the kid and the parents. This works with all ages, boys and girls, and all races.
^
When you coach you must understand that these kids look up to you. They’re watching how you act and learning from it. Don’t be a bad role model by cussing and calling other kids or adults names. Be a positive influence on their life, not a negative one.
Did anyone see the lengthy post by former player of Spurlock who now plays pro. Justin Johnson? He supports coach Spurlock and states we live in a soft world
I am assuming this is the post. I figured I'd paste it on here for anyone who would like to read the exact Facebook post from Justin Johnson who played at both Sheldon Clark and Perry Central for Spurlock.

"My take on the Coach Kevin Spurlock‼️ Probably going to take some heat for this but it’s facts.

I might take some heat over this and lose some friends, but I’m fine with it. I have been contacted and asked about the Kevin Spurlock situation multiple times. I personally think it’s a joke. This man is family to me. I bet if you call him and ask him who he was the hardest on in his coaching career, I bet he says me. I played for him for 3 years and he changed my life. I can call him right now and he would do anything for me. People do not see how he cares. I would call him at 6 am as a freshmen to let me in the weight room, he was there every morning. We went at it almost everyday in practice. We argued, and he was tough on me. But without him I don’t know that I would be making a living playing the game of basketball right now. He prepared me for the college game more than anyone ever could have. People wonder sometimes why kids from Eastern KY don’t always make it the next level. In my mind, this one of the perfect examples. In Eastern KY, too many politics and parents get involved with athletics. Kids think that when they are getting pushed that it’s the end of the world and go home to there parents to complain. In my eyes, kids are soft and the mentality of everyone gets a trophy, is why. A curse word by a coach is an issue now??? When the kids are using a way worse choice language as they walk the school halls. I know because I’ve been there. It’s funny to me. Most parents that are complaining want their kid to play in college. Most kids complaining probably want to play in college. I have played under Coach Spurlock. I have played a successful collegiate basketball career. I am playing professional basketball. If it wasn’t for Coach Spurlock, I would not have been physically or mentally prepared for where I am today. Grow a thicker skin. Whether kids make a career in basketball like myself, choose to work a normal 8-5, or even the coal mines, you will hear this language. Parents, stop living through your children. Let them see the real world, or at least a glimpse. Let Coach Spurlock do his job how he does it and I promise, your child will be a better athlete and person because of it. I have went through years and years of this and from experience kids/parents, this type of situation will not last a day at the collegiate level, professional level, or in the normal day of life. What a soft world we live in."
You have to have D1 talent to treat a child with respect and dignity? Good to know. Hope your kids can ball 🏀

Edited to clarify I’m replying to his (Justin Johnson) statement about ‘soft kids’. Not the op who posted his quote.
If you all think this is about “language or abuse” get your head out of the ground. This is about one thing. Justin Holbrook. I really feel like Justin should’ve been the coach and earned it at SF but this is an attempt to force the hand. Kevin is an asshole but he’s also a heck of a coach and he never had a chance. Those kids didn’t buy in last year and didn’t want to this year so they quit. I don’t agree with all Kevin did and said but at the core this is an attempt at a takeover by the parents to get their SF guy. Most of the kids who quit played at SF or were from left beaver. Most of the kids who stayed were right beaver boys. I think Justin should’ve been and still should be the coach but is this the way you want it to happen?
Tailback44 Wrote:Did anyone see the lengthy post by former player of Spurlock who now plays pro. Justin Johnson? He supports coach Spurlock and states we live in a soft world

What NBA team does Justin play for? :yawn:
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:You know in all honesty, a coach shouldnt have to cuss to fire kids up. All of you are right. If I had it all to do over again, Id just put the kids on the bench that didnt play hard and give the next kid a chance.

Excellent post. You see the fault in your actions and owned them. If Kevin is at fault (don't know the facts and not saying he is) he should own them, apologize and accept the repercussion.

We all say things in the heat of the moment, I know I have. As a parent there's been many of times I wished I'd handle things differently. But I learned from those mistakes and didn't repeat them daily.

Just like our pastor says "you can't sin every day and ask for forgiveness over the same sin", "if you do, it's not coming from the heart".

Lastly, my response to Mr. Justin Johnson and his support of Coach Spurlock. I'm glad you love your coach and support him, everyone deserves to feel that way about their coach. Kevin may have done everything right for you and your life but it doesn't dismiss or allow him to drop the ball on these kids. A coach can get it right 99 times out of 100 but that 1 individual doesn't deserve to be left out, especially if that 1 is your child.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:When you coach you must understand that these kids look up to you. They’re watching how you act and learning from it. Don’t be a bad role model by cussing and calling other kids or adults names. Be a positive influence on their life, not a negative one.

Something that parents should be reminded of daily.
Kids have to learn how to be coached. I had coaches that were hard on me and I said 'yessir' and kept on going. I would never quit because a coach was hard on me and I would never shut down and complain to my parents about coaches. Everyone is tore up about language but have you heard how kids talk these days? These kids hear worse and say worse in the halls, at practice, and in everyday talk. If you don't like the coach get over it and suck it up or quit let the people who want to play play. I thought Justin Johnson's statement was phenomenal.
Justin Johnson should be an example for eastern KY kids wanting to play after high school
Nobull Sports Show-Podcast- talks about the Kevin Spurlock controversy. LINK BELOW

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nobu...5d53ad5e01
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-chic...03906.html

Just Incase anyone thinks this is a high school problem only .

Bulls players reporting there coach for insults and excessive practices .
BallFan1952 Wrote:What NBA team does Justin play for? :yawn:

Reread my post, i said "pro" never said NBA. Even if oversea he is still playing professional. Nice try though.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next