• 1(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd Central Coaching Controversy
Ok something wrong with this picture 9 varsity players quit the basketball team. Should this be looked into by higher powers to be or should they do like everything else and ignore it and let Kevin spurlock run that program in the ground like he does everywhere he has ever coached. Thoughts
Had similar issue with this coach last year it was overlooked like many things are down at the school.
9 kids have quit this year?
10 and yes Brady conn, dalton Boyd, Brady jones, and several others due to how the coach treats the boys behind closed doors
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:9 kids have quit this year?
I’m going go with it being how the boys get treated and talked to behind closed doors. Last year they had similar issues and they was ignored wonder if the higher hands will turn their head since they don’t have a varsity basketball team now this year
I hate that these players are having to go through this, especially the seniors. Holbrook should’ve gotten the chance there, IMO
4everUK Wrote:I hate that these players are having to go through this, especially the seniors. Holbrook should’ve gotten the chance there, IMO

Anybody would beat what they got even Bobby Knight lol
Shame these kids are going through this
DarrinC Wrote:Anybody would beat what they got even Bobby Knight lol
Hey, I like Bobby! Lol
Who is the coach there?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Who is the coach there?

Kevin Spurlock.
So, does this mean that they're dropping out of the Mountain Classic?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I used to know Kevin. I played Babe Ruth with him when his dad was our coach, and I went to high school with him and played football with him until he transferred to Allen Central. I have not spoken to him in years, and I obviously don't know what is going on at Floyd Central. I will say this. His dad was very old school for back in the 80's. From what I have observed from Coach Spurlock from very afar, he is very old school. That coaching style doesn't seem to be as successful now days with how kids are brought up. Kevin is a very religious man, and I don't see him being mean to his players. I just think he is a tough coach. I think he was brought up hard and coaches hard himself. He is a good guy with old school ways.
A fine line between getting on to a kid and demeaning the kids. If he is pushing the players to be better, then understandable you won't find a coach around that isn't doing that in a game or practice. Demeaning the kids should not be tolerated in any sport by any coach no matter who they are. I've been to games and saw Spurlock coach he is hard-nosed and will let a player know when they did wrong. Parents have to understand there is a line between the two but also we aren't behind closed doors.
This age of kids can’t take old school coaching. I would want my kids to play for someone like him. It’s not training league, winning basketball isn’t for everyone. Floyd county wants everyone to play and let’s all be nice and hug. What would they have did if they played for johnny Martin? Same type people ran him out too
Did some research and my sources are telling me that the remaining kids will participate in the classic. They have two starters that have decided to remain on the team. Sources said that this is just a bunch of parents who are trying to cause a problem. They have forced their kids to quit the team. Who suffers in this situation? The kids that are in the program and the ones that have quit. Not the so called adults.
The kids all decided to do it themselves from the way he treats them, I know how he is from when he was in Martin County and he is a ****.
That is just a ridiculous statement. Do you know the kids and have you spoken to them? 15-17 year olds just don't make these decisions without their parents. I guess they thought the program would shut down. They are going to learn a hard lesson. Life goes on with or without you. Enjoy the rest of the season sitting in the bleachers with your parents.
According to social media the issue is a head Coach trying to fight a fan during a game. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.
Spurlock is a pretty good coach there isnt a whole lot of talent in floyd and if they are they end up playing out of the county. Spurlock has a state title, that counts for something. If true that Conn quit the team, the jags are in for a very long season.Conn is top 10 player in that region. FC just dont have the horses to win the derby.
another thing, kids are so soft this days. Coaching is a hard task if you want to win and get the best out of the kids,
Kevin is a stubborn, old-school coach. He pisses a lot of people off.

That being said... I fully believe if the kids do what he asks and the parents let him do his job, EVERYONE would be better in the long run.
Equaltonone Wrote:According to social media the issue is a head Coach trying to fight a fan during a game. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

Well if it's on social media it HAS to be true

:trolldad2:
One has to wonder just what kind of things were said for that many to up a leave all at once. It’s a bad look regardless. I’ve got no problems with old school coaching but even that’s got a limit. There’s comes a point where it beats down instead of building up
Tailback44 Wrote:Spurlock is a pretty good coach there isnt a whole lot of talent in floyd and if they are they end up playing out of the county. Spurlock has a state title, that counts for something. If true that Conn quit the team, the jags are in for a very long season.Conn is top 10 player in that region. FC just dont have the horses to win the derby.

When did he win a State Title???
UpYours Wrote:When did he win a State Title???

2004 All A Classic with Hazard.

I saw this on twitter:

@WMDJFM100Sports

Floyd Central Boys Basketball Coach Kevin Spurlock has been suspended 3 games as the result of an investigation by the Floyd County School Superintendent. In an official statement Superintendent Adkins says Coach Spurlock has been suspended for conduct unbecoming of a coach.

@WMDJFM100Sports

Coach Spurlock’s suspension begins with tonight’s Floyd Central/Clay County game in the WYMT Mountain Classic and will actually miss four games, returning for the Hazard game.
WinkWinkler Wrote:That is just a ridiculous statement. Do you know the kids and have you spoken to them? 15-17 year olds just don't make these decisions without their parents. I guess they thought the program would shut down. They are going to learn a hard lesson. Life goes on with or without you. Enjoy the rest of the season sitting in the bleachers with your parents.

You are correct life does go on with or without you.

My question to everyone is this::: Why is it ok for Football, Basketball and Baseball coaches to verbally, physically and mental mistreat kids?

You never hear of a "coach"/"sponsor" of the Debate Team say "how F'ing retarded are you", "can't you answer 1 F'ing question correct". Or the band teacher tell a kid to stick a flute where the sun don't shine.

Times have changed and kids nor their parent like being mistreated or embarrassed. And if you are a parent that doesn't have a problem with other adults mistreating you child then you obviously shouldn't be a parent.
A good cussing never hurt anybody! I’d love for my boy to play for Spurlock! Some of you all need to toughen up a little bit.
Funny. Context and place. You must be the parent of someone close to the program.
You all think this is part of the reason so many middle/grade school players in Floyd centrals feeder schools are going elsewhere to play?
  • 1(current)
  • Next