Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best defensive player you have seen or played with?
asecret Wrote:Josh Sullivan Pikeville ,Matt Maynard Belfry ,Corey Chapman [for a small guy ] Belfry, Dustin May Belfry, Daniel Harmon Pikeville,

:thatsfunn:Clap:
I have never saw a kid get as many tackles as Matt Robinson from Perry County Central does. He is the best I have saw in Eastern Kentucky in 20 years. I wished Perry would play him some on offense and give him some carries. Keep that cat in the game, I dont care how good he is on Defense, he is the best football player on the team.
Victor Hyland... Clay County class of '92.
The fact that nobody has mentioned Lamar Dawson from Boyle is quite surprising. He is kind of...ya know...a nationally ranked linebacker and all. There is a chance that he might qualify here. >_>
Here are a few I thought of:

Chester Ford - Danville Admirals ('89 to '92) Defensive Tackle

Larry Smith - Washington Commanders ('80 to '82) Linebacker

Bobby Leffew - Boyle County Rebels ('96 to '99) Linebacker

Travis Leffew - Boyle County Rebels ('97 to '00) Defensive Tackle

Venus Meaux - Harrodsburg ('73 to '76) Linebacker/Defensive Back

I chose these as people who I saw take over a game and just dominate it from a Defensive Player position.

There are others but those came to mind at the start. I would add some other names to the list like Brodie Overstreet, Michael Paul Webb of Boyle County. Massey kid from Somerset in the early 80's. Ronnie Chenault of Danville ('82 to '84) was one of the best tackling safeties I ever saw. Lots of players anyone can pick. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:Here are a few I thought of:

Chester Ford - Danville Admirals ('89 to '92) Defensive Tackle

Larry Smith - Washington Commanders ('80 to '82) Linebacker

Bobby Leffew - Boyle County Rebels ('96 to '99) Linebacker

Travis Leffew - Boyle County Rebels ('97 to '00) Defensive Tackle

Venus Meaux - Harrodsburg ('73 to '76) Linebacker/Defensive Back

I chose these as people who I saw take over a game and just dominate it from a Defensive Player position.

There are others but those came to mind at the start. I would add some other names to the list like Brodie Overstreet, Michael Paul Webb of Boyle County. Massey kid from Somerset in the early 80's. Ronnie Chenault of Danville ('82 to '84) was one of the best tackling safeties I ever saw. Lots of players anyone can pick. :Thumbs:

Where is this located?
Johnathon Jackson from Mayfield. He should end up playing D1 but being from Mayfield who knows. He is only a sophmore but he is a man among boys and is probably the best player in the Western part of the state. When Mayfield makes it to state go watch him he is a great player.
Scotty Stamper from Dixie Heights 2000. He started 4 years and was the first person to sack Jared Lorenzon in the 98 football season. Was the best blitzing linebacker I've seen on the high school level and didn't miss tackles.
Dave Fisher was a nose guard for Highlands back in the early '80s, first team all-state but didn't play college ball.

Mike Kelly was a nose guard for Newport Catholic in the early '80s, too . . . first team all-stater who played for EKU.

More recently, the Branham kid who played LB for Middlesboro's state title team in the late '90s could take over a game. Don't think he ever played any college ball, either.
Jarons Wrote:Where is this located?

:thatsfunn Sorry.

Washington County. He and his brother Jeff led some very good Commander teams in the late 70's and early 80's. ('79 I think they went to AA semi-finals) Larry controlled tackle to tackle the couple of times I saw him in those days. He later played at UK under Claiborne. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote::thatsfunn Sorry.

Washington County. He and his brother Jeff led some very good Commander teams in the late 70's and early 80's. ('79 I think they went to AA semi-finals) Larry controlled tackle to tackle the couple of times I saw him in those days. He later played at UK under Claiborne. :Thumbs:

Jeff and Larry both played at UK. They were really good players. Chester Ford on your list as well.:Thumbs:
Amped 88 Wrote:Jeff and Larry both played at UK. They were really good players. Chester Ford on your list as well.:Thumbs:

I remember Jeff's senior year. He was about 6' 4" 230 lbs and Reed lined him up at RB and he was a load. Also a BOOMING punter. Just thought Larry was a little better and more mobile. (Though he was a big fellow too) :Thumbs:
Matt Robinson from PCC.
John micheal mayo from Pikeville highschool here is his highlight video. Its not very good quality but this kid hits like a train. He's a saftey. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZS6A2nP68"]YouTube - John Michael Mayo-The Fire Inside Football Highlights[/nomedia] ENJOY.
Mike Charles-Johns Creek (late 80s)
Floyd Branham- Middlesboro
Durrell White- Bell CO/M'boro
Brent Barton- Bell County
John Rodgers Bell County
Mikey Idol- Middlesboro
Marty Reagan Rockcastle (very underrated corner)
Winston Guy- Lexington Catholic
Lamar Dawson- Boyle County (this dude is a man, hes all the hype plus more, honestly he could be the best ive ever seen at the linebacker position)
Hatz Wrote:I remember Jeff's senior year. He was about 6' 4" 230 lbs and Reed lined him up at RB and he was a load. Also a BOOMING punter. Just thought Larry was a little better and more mobile. (Though he was a big fellow too) :Thumbs:

They were the best that ever played at Washington County.
The best ive seen.Lamar dawson Bobby leffew,and Jeff duggins Jeff won Mr football as a QB but he was as good a line backer thats ever played at Boyle county.Todd noe was also one of the better line backers ive seen play at Boyle.Danville has had a few over the years that were outstanding Buzzy story, Chester ford, Ben kinley,and Kinte bess.
Jack Lambert Wrote:The best ive seen.Lamar dawson Bobby leffew,and Jeff duggins Jeff won Mr football as a QB but he was as good a line backer thats ever played at Boyle county.Todd noe was also one of the better line backers ive seen play at Boyle.Danville has had a few over the years that were outstanding Buzzy story, Chester ford, Ben kinley,and Kinte bess.

There's a blast from the past for me.

Todd was a heck of an LB. I don't know I could put him on my list because he followed directly behind Mike Edminston but he was very good. If he had stayed healthy his sophomore year (my senior) I think we would have captured the district and had a chance to play in the playoffs that season. (He missed the key Russell County game with an injury if memory serves) :Thumbs:
Mike Edminston,how could i have forgot about him Mike was a hoss.
Hatz,you made me think of some one else that played for Boyle. Dormas Russell, Dormas wasnt all that big,but if memory serves me right he was one of the best defensive backs ive seen at the high school level.i just thought of Lee Shuere not sure i spelled it right but Lee was one heck of a player.
Mark Pike - 1982 Dixie. Absolutely abused me and any other player in NKY. Wen't on to play in four Super Bowls with the Buffalo Bills. I still hurt from him running over top of me....
As a couple of posters mentioned, Tony Saylor's defenses in the early 2000's were really special. Jason Leger was actually recruited as a Defensive Lineman to UK but ended up playing the O-Line.

I have always been one to say that Marty Regan is probably the best corner that I have seen. Yes, he had a couple of bad State Championship games but even SEC defenders could not stop Boyle County's Jacob Tamme. Sad Now he is an NFL TE. Big Grin

Rock has had a few great ones. Also I seem to remember a Slusher from Bell County that would straight-up blast you!

Lamar Dawson is a man-beast!!!!!
Larry Weathers, Woodford County, 1969. An all state beast.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Hatz,you made me think of some one else that played for Boyle. Dormas Russell, Dormas wasnt all that big,but if memory serves me right he was one of the best defensive backs ive seen at the high school level.i just thought of Lee Shuere not sure i spelled it right but Lee was one heck of a player.

Dormas was a good tackling Saftey, like Ronnie Lott, in that 6-2 that Greg Young went to in '81.

Lee Scheuer made plays. I think he might still hold the record at Boyle for most interceptions in a game, season and career. He had 3 once or twice in a game. 9 I think his Sophomore year. He was crazy. :Thumbs:

If we are just talking Boyle County from back in the day:

Kyle Lorton at Defensive Tackle was a stud. (played at Maryland as a Center)

Kevin Lorton was a great Defensive End.

Mark Overstreet was another great Defensive Tackle and Chris Hilton was a stud D Lineman.

Some great LB duos were Todd Noe/Billy West & Vance Curtsinger/Mike Edminston. :Thumbs:
I played with a couple that could be named on here. Harvey Miracle from bell in the late 80's. He played safety and besides coming up to hit you, he still holds the state record for ints in a season with 16. Jamie Smith played lb and would always seem to know where the ball was going.
There was a kid from Harlan that was real small but he was really good defensively. I can't remember his name but i believe he was a shope or something like that.
Phil Ratliff Lawrence Co. Best I ever played against was the first varsity game I ever started in high school my sophomore year. I lined up at the wrong defensive tackle position and Phil Ratliff murdered me. He went on to play at Marshall Univerity were he was a two time All-American.

David Recznik Betsy Layne was the best I ever played with and one of the best I ever saw play including Phil Ratliff. He started every game (freshmen- senor year) in high school at center and also played middle linebacker. He was awesome with an absolute killer/mean streak. He was extremely athletic and powerful. He got some interest from Tennessee but chose not to play college ball. There's no doubt in my mind he could have played D1 football.

Brandon Bubba Combs Betsy Layne was good. I played with him when I was a senor, he was in 8th grade and started some varsity games if I remember correctly. He could have walked on at UK but went on to play at Morehead St were he got All-American as a Defensive Lineman.
hitemup Wrote:There was a kid from Harlan that was real small but he was really good defensively. I can't remember his name but i believe he was a shope or something like that.

That would be Frank Shoupe...now Coaching at Harlan.

Sticking with the thread line...Not to play D1

Branham - Middlesboro
Frazier - Whitesburg
Luttrell - Harlan
Barton - Bell (Still remember the hit he put on Highlands Punter)
Calton - HCHS
Douglass Newman and Luke Rhea best secondary Sfs ever had imo.