Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best defensive player you have seen or played with?
Jerry Reese played nose gaurd on the '82 state championship team for Christian County. He went on to play for UK and then the Pittsburgh Steelers. He weighed around 240 to 250 and ran like a 4.7 forty. I watched him sack the quarterback against Bryan Station in the playoffs causing a fumble, pick it up, and run like 60 yards for a TD all while pulling away from the quarterback, running backs, and a receiver.
phillip ratliff of lawrence county, joey couch of paintville, and a guy from Johnson central in the late 80"s but cant remember his name "deacon" maybe? and juan tomas of ashland
Pound for pound absolutely one of the best h.s. linebackers i have ever watched play the game would be #20 from Bell County back in the early 90's. Crit Callebs
Ryan Brown- Paintsville
Durrell White- Middlesboro
Tony White-Pburg
:Thumbs:
Westside Wrote:Phil Ratliff Lawrence Co. Best I ever played against was the first varsity game I ever started in high school my sophomore year. I lined up at the wrong defensive tackle position and Phil Ratliff murdered me. He went on to play at Marshall Univerity were he was a two time All-American.

David Recznik Betsy Layne was the best I ever played with and one of the best I ever saw play including Phil Ratliff. He started every game (freshmen- senor year) in high school at center and also played middle linebacker. He was awesome with an absolute killer/mean streak. He was extremely athletic and powerful. He got some interest from Tennessee but chose not to play college ball. There's no doubt in my mind he could have played D1 football.

Brandon Bubba Combs Betsy Layne was good. I played with him when I was a senor, he was in 8th grade and started some varsity games if I remember correctly. He could have walked on at UK but went on to play at Morehead St were he got All-American as a Defensive Lineman.

:Thumbs: Big Dave was a beast , he was a player .... :Thumbs:
#40 (TALYOR CHAPMAN) FOR SC this year is an awesome player.This young man played hard against PCC.IMO, he should get a honorable mention or all state.CHANNING SMITH for the PCC HAWKS is an awesome player also.The HAWKS also have a MLB(CODY HOLLAND),OLB(KODY TRIVETTE) but I would list all of the HAWKS cause I'M alot partial.U should go watch #40 for SC play though.
Nick Jamerson from Pburg... I played on the team with him when he held Jacob Tamme to 0 receptions against pburg in 2002... THE most impressive/dominating performance out of a HS DB i've ever seen... even though we got whipped up on a little bit
oak 76 Wrote:#40 (TALYOR CHAPMAN) FOR SC this year is an awesome player.This young man played hard against PCC.IMO, he should get a honorable mention or all state.CHANNING SMITH for the PCC HAWKS is an awesome player also.The HAWKS also have a MLB(CODY HOLLAND),OLB(KODY TRIVETTE) but I would list all of the HAWKS cause I'M alot partial.U should go watch #40 for SC play though.

I agree, Taylor is a great defensive player and not to mention a great person off the field, very respectful.

The best player I've ever seen is Doug Howard, I don't think I can ever forget a halfback from P-Burg breaking down the right sideline of Vipperman Stadium, and Doug tracking him down and hitting him sliding all the way under the fence.

The best I've seen this year, not to be biased, is Josh Dixon. Alot of people who have seen Belfry play will agree. The kid flies to the ball, has great speed (nearly tracked down Jamerson on the Snake in the Grass play Week 0), and will absolutely knock your head off.
Best defensive player i've played with is probably Allan Fugate. Last year he ended up with 140 tackles as a DE. Now, hes a redshirted freshmen at EKU. This kid is big and fast. Ran a 4.6 and weighed 230
A few guys from Leslie Co.

Pearl Spurlock #31 MLB '90-'93
Randall Cobb #52 DT '91-'94
John Wooton #22 DE '91-'94
Paul Melton #34 MLB '92-'95
Tim Couch #2 S '92-'95 ( Could Have been 1st team All-State and Division 1 Safety if coaches would have let him play defense more. He loved Defense)

Jeff Johnson #31 MLB '94-'97
John Horton #56 MLB '02-'05
Timmy Baker #32 MLB '03-'06
Brian Hubbard #5 S/CB '03-'06

Just a few that I have played with and that have stood out to me.. There are many more deserving, but I think this is the pick of the litter..
Thomas Goss from Harlan High School was pretty good. T.J. Dunson was pretty good also.
All 3 of the Pike Central Defensive players (Smith, Hollon, & Trivette) are pretty awesome! PCC Defense rules!
Channing Fugate was an awesome defensive player when he played for Breathitt. Channing could easily play D-1 outside linebacker. Dusty Allen for Breathitt was an awesome linebacker too getting 11 tackles in the championship game against Central in 2008
southbound Wrote:phillip ratliff of lawrence county, joey couch of paintville, and a guy from Johnson central in the late 80"s but cant remember his name "deacon" maybe? and juan tomas of ashland

Chris Deaton, went on to play at Marshall. His son Tyler played at Paintsville a couple years ago, he was a pretty good defensive player himself, didnt care to hit.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Floyd branham middlesboro state title team 1998
Thomas Goss and Eric Browning were a force to be reckoned with when they played for Harlan 92-95 I believe. If one didn't knock the **** out of you, Browning would. Goss by far hit the hardest, no questions.
It is best defensive player not to play D1 football. So i don't think we can mention Grayson Smith (UK), Tim Couch (UK), Nick Jamerson (UK 1 season) and many of the other players I have seen that have played D1 football.
I would say Billy Ratliff from SC 97 and Lee Gauze SC.
Thomas Goss from Harlan was the hardest hitter I've seen play. As far as head-hunting you'll not find better. Eric Browning would also knock your brains out and was big part of that Dragon defense. Their defense ranked 4th in the state in all classes against the run in '95 and held Evarts to negative rushing yards for the first time in Evarts school history. Goss had close to 140 tackles his senior year only playing in 7 or 8 games and if he didn't get you then Browning would. Boots Smallwood from Cawood in the mid 90's would also put a lick on you. He was a beast at defensive end. 3 of the mountains finest if you ask me.
Floyd Branham - Middlesboro