•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County @ Corbin (State Semifinals)11/23
FoSho Wrote:Knox Central beat Franklin Co in OT. Boyle Co beat Franklin Co 50-7.

Belfry is a specialty power running game and couldn't throw the ball. They were bound to get yards but they were held to 17 points vs Boyle. Corbin is more balanced and not as much of a power running game.

Estep had 56 yards on 16 carries vs Beechwood. Honest question, was he hurt for that game too?

No. But if you watched the game, the flow of it didn’t really allow him to run the ball. Plus he had open WRs a lot of the time.
FoSho Wrote:Knox Central beat Franklin Co in OT. Boyle Co beat Franklin Co 50-7.

Belfry is a specialty power running game and couldn't throw the ball. They were bound to get yards but they were held to 17 points vs Boyle. Corbin is more balanced and not as much of a power running game.

Estep had 56 yards on 16 carries vs Beechwood. Honest question, was he hurt for that game too?

Again, per KHSAA-

56 yards on 16 carries compared to the whole team of Beechwood having 12 carries for 36, not to shabby. Factor in his two rushing TDs, one passing TD, and going 17/25 for 68% with 2 out of his total of 4 int coming in that game. Honest Answer. Just which ever way you want to present it.

No doubt you keep reaching for numbers and stats. QBs are basically the same passing wise (yards/tds/int/%) but Estep has the upper hand on rushing. I think someone posted it earlier. Should be a barnburner!

My prediction coming later this week. FoSho you might like it :Clap:
Estep has been hurt since before the Mayfield game...until last week anyway. The only reason he was permitted to play in games since then was he wouldn’t have to run or scramble, just handoff or pass. We used the power run game in regular season against bell so Estep wouldn’t have to scramble, he did run once for about a 25 yard TD. Also didn’t run at Knox. Last week was the most runs he’s had since beechwood. AND!! The GOOSE IS LOOSE FINALLY! Probably our biggest offensive weapon missing since early in beechwood game.

CAN I GET A RIC FLAIR!!!
Jack Lambert Wrote:Question for the Corbin fans who’s going to cover Reese Smith?
Hopefully not a kid coming straight off the hospital gurney. Still trying to figure out that call.
Boyle Co better hope that forecast is clear for Friday night. Corbin has had some very wet games and although they couldn’t run what they wanted to they still could win in the conditions. Boyle has had one game like that and they squeaked by late against a Western Hills team who got beat in first round only having Wandale Robinson. Other than that Boyle has basically been on turf all year. Coming to Corbin is bad enough but if it rains and gets muddy, Chuck Smith and the Rebels could be in for some trouble
Hound05 Wrote:Basically the same central LOST to Corbin at home. And you all can think what you want but this Corbin team IS better than last year. I believe if they seeded it this year, this would be the title game again.

I agree. I believe Corbin is better this year.
JerryGarcia Wrote:It’s still a game of matchups. What is your logic that Corbin is so good. Central has been playing thanksgiving numerous times in last 15 yrs. Many more then Corbin

than*. Corbin only recruits Whitley County players instead of the Louisville Metro area Confusednicker:
I'm a fan of Boyle County there coach and how they play the game. I don't like Corbin Smile , but I think they are much better than last year, and have a real shot at winning this game. especially with the extra players in stripes Confusednicker:
colonelfan944 Wrote:Boyle Co better hope that forecast is clear for Friday night. Corbin has had some very wet games and although they couldn’t run what they wanted to they still could win in the conditions. Boyle has had one game like that and they squeaked by late against a Western Hills team who got beat in first round only having Wandale Robinson. Other than that Boyle has basically been on turf all year. Coming to Corbin is bad enough but if it rains and gets muddy, Chuck Smith and the Rebels could be in for some trouble

Boyle played in some of the worst possible field conditions at Hills and North Hardin. The Hills game featured one WanDale Robinson which was the main reason we "squeaked by" with a 54-35 win.

Heavy rain would change the game plan for both teams.
Last post weather update:

Mid to low 40's thru 10:00 and 7% chance of rain thru midnight. Unless we hit MULTIPLE OT's, it looks like great weather in Corbin.

Happy Thanksgiving BGR!
Happy Thanksgiving from the tree stand this morning y’all.
I’m going with the Rebels
Boyle 35
Corbin 24
Jack Lambert Wrote:Happy Thanksgiving from the tree stand this morning y’all.

Happy Thanksgiving!
FoSho Wrote:Boyle played in some of the worst possible field conditions at Hills and North Hardin. The Hills game featured one WanDale Robinson which was the main reason we "squeaked by" with a 54-35 win.

Heavy rain would change the game plan for both teams.

He’s right. Boyle has played in some bad conditions. WH, Hardin, etc. although I will agree with the OP that a soggy field would prob benefit us a little more than Boyle. Not a significant difference though.
Corbin’s hourly forecast for tomorrow evening between 7:00-9:00 is 47 degrees and 5% chance of rain, Looking good.
HOFER Wrote:Hopefully not a kid coming straight off the hospital gurney. Still trying to figure out that call.

In hind sight, that was a mistake all the way around last year.
FoSho Wrote:It's obvious that Corbin and Boyle Co are both very good teams. This should be the title game again.

Here is one thing that I always come back to and I'm curious as to what Hounds fans think.

Estep is a tremendous athlete. As a Boyle Co fan I am thankful he is at QB. He is Corbin's biggest open field threat and if he is in the backfield it's much harder for him to do damage against a good defense.

He had 15 carries vs Mayfield for 49 yards and threw for 111. Boyle Co and Mayfield are pretty similar as far as defense and team speed. Longmire was your leading rusher vs Mayfield but only had 56 yards. I see this as a huge part of the game this Friday. Will Corbin be able to run the ball effectively vs our D?

Yeager and Sams have really stepped up running the ball late in the season and give Corbin a different look in their rushing attack. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the defensive players in the offensive backfield mix in this game.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Corbin’s hourly forecast for tomorrow evening between 7:00-9:00 is 47 degrees and 5% chance of rain, Looking good.

Not that it will really matter as far as the actual game. But for those who haven’t been to Corbin in a while, take the forecast temp and subtract about 7-10 degrees from it. Don’t know if it’s where the field and area around it sit in a hole, or the wind, or what??? But it’ll prob be colder than 47 for the fans. Dress warmer like it’s gonna be about 27.
The Outsider Wrote:Yeager and Sams have really stepped up running the ball late in the season and give Corbin a different look in their rushing attack. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the defensive players in the offensive backfield mix in this game.

I agree, and I think most would. The main rotation of those 2 and Longmire have been great lately. Yeager is a smash mouth runner who almost always gets extra YAC. And Sams vision has improved a lot since the start. It doesn’t take much for him to find a seam and hit it. And then longmire, although a freshman and sometimes easy to bring down, doesn’t need much to take it to the house on any given play.

I love that “heavy/Florida” set as well. Nobody has stopped it yet. Maybe Boyle can?? I don’t see it though. But it’s not something we could sustain the whole game, but great in short yardage situations.
Hound05 Wrote:Not that it will really matter as far as the actual game. But for those who haven’t been to Corbin in a while, take the forecast temp and subtract about 7-10 degrees from it. Don’t know if it’s where the field and area around it sit in a hole, or the wind, or what??? But it’ll prob be colder than 47 for the fans. Dress warmer like it’s gonna be about 27.

Don’t worry I’m bringing my Carhartt bibs.
Obviously stopping (containing) the Lanter/Smith combination should be priority #1. That said, while two totally different style offenses, when Corbin struggles on offense, it's very similar to UK. They both have a tendency to fall behind the chains early in drives.

If Corbin can stay disciplined, I like them having a more than decent chance. It just seems like they have seen their fair share of 2nd and 15 or 3rd and 10's this year due to mental errors. With respect to the district opponents, you can get away with that vs. those teams. However doing that against Boyle, is a different story. They dug themselves into too many holes against Mayfield. Boyle is just as good and some could argue possibly better than the Cardinals.

I have a suspicion that you will see the Hounds bring their A game. I'd love an atmosphere like vs. Belfry 2 years ago. If they do that, use the revenge factor as motivation, you could see Corbin vs. Central at Commonwealth Stadium next Friday.
My plan for football practice tonight at 7.00 has been change to Black Friday :igiveup:
Happy Thanksgiving to all Corbin and Boyle County fans have a safe trip Friday :worthy: Go Hounds :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to all Corbin and Boyle County fans have a safe trip Friday :worthy: Go Hounds :Cheerlead

Go Colonels!
I posted something similar to this about he same time last week for the Boyle Co vs Belfry game.

I am in a good place mentally. I'm Thankful on this Thanksgiving Day for my family and I'm looking forward to the big game tomorrow evening. I am confident but not overconfident which is how we should all be as fans. I have nothing against the Hounds or their faithful and my main concern for the game tomorrow is that all of these kids that lay it on the line for their team, fans, school and community make it thru this game without injury. There has been too many injuries this year in our state and I pray these boys have a blast making memories with their teammates and do so in one piece.

Football is a great game and I can't wait to take in this atmosphere tomorrow night and root on the Rebels. Safe travels to all Rebel Nation making the trip south.

Go Rebels!
I agree the focus should be Smith but they also have 3 other very fast and athletic receivers you can’t forget about and a 4.3 running back in Bartleson if he is back or the senior Crawford. Corbins success on offense to a degree centers around being able to block 73 Kelly up front,that kid will have tackles from dtackle,no matter what we do,he will be the best player Corbin has seen upfront all year but we can’t let him make numerous plays in the backfield or get a clean hit on Estep I noticed Smith played him every play of the game against Belfry on both sides of the ball. I watched the broadcast.The kid on Boyle they say benches over 400 and squats over 600 as a junior. That’s a freak!
I agree Kelly is a beast and we have to slow him down. I’d say we’ll probably double or use a back to help. But beechwood had one of the best OVERALL Dlines to date, to me anyways. And for the most part we didn’t allow them to take over. Boyle’s could be better. Watching film, as a whole they are good. But I’d still give the nod to the beechies. One player on the Dline is easy to neutralize unless you just got a kid that’s gonna get back there every time. So I think Kelly will make some plays but I still don’t think it’s gonna be enough to shut us down. But Our D can’t shut them down either. I still think this one will be back and forth throughout the game if both teams show up. I’m pretty confident both will.
Football Scout Wrote:I agree the focus should be Smith but they also have 3 other very fast and athletic receivers you can’t forget about and a 4.3 running back in Bartleson if he is back or the senior Crawford. Corbins success on offense to a degree centers around being able to block 73 Kelly up front,that kid will have tackles from dtackle,no matter what we do,he will be the best player Corbin has seen upfront all year but we can’t let him make numerous plays in the backfield or get a clean hit on Estep I noticed Smith played him every play of the game against Belfry on both sides of the ball. I watched the broadcast.The kid on Boyle they say benches over 400 and squats over 600 as a junior. That’s a freak!

Wilson Kelly is the one and only member of Boyle’s 1100 LB club, Smith says he’s The strongest player he’s ever had at Boyle.
Made it to practice after all Corbin was looking like Unfinished Business tonight :Cheerlead
Jack Lambert Wrote:Wilson Kelly is the one and only member of Boyle’s 1100 LB club, Smith says he’s The strongest player he’s had at Boyle.

Do you mean this year? Or the only one ever?
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next