Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesboro Fires Head Coach
pjdoug Wrote:Herron won't coach much longer and Lynn Camp ain't turned around. You'll see that in a little while.

I don’t disagree, I don’t think LC is a power now but if you look at where it is now from where it was when they fired Russell and it’s night and day better.
fridaynightfights Wrote:I don’t disagree, I don’t think LC is a power now but if you look at where it is now from where it was when they fired Russell and it’s night and day better.

The extremely weak schedule makes it appear that they are much better. They have not improved as much as it seems.
Anyone heard anything out creater
fridaynightfights Wrote:I don’t disagree, I don’t think LC is a power now but if you look at where it is now from where it was when they fired Russell and it’s night and day better.

The senior class was better this year, but they lose most of their top guys.
Roster only showed 5 Jr.s. Have a bunch of sophomores. Next year could be very difficult. Chappell would be a great hire. Kids really like him. Got to get numbers back up to be competitive. Patience is imperative. It will take time but is doable. Middlesboro has a great history and I hope to see them get back to that level.
BellCOUNTYfaithfull Wrote:Anyone heard anything out creater
what?
I thought pj was the creator
pjdoug Wrote:what?

:foreveralone:
E's Army Wrote:I thought pj was the creator

I was created.
If I was Middlesboro I'd try to do what Knox Central has done and get a Bell County assistant. I don't know if any of them would take it, but Knox has built a good football program doing that.
Chappell would be welcome if I were to be hiring. We will not do better. Fact
Chappell would get the numbers back up and get some positive momentum for Middlesboro
David jones from belfry coaches at phelps now is what I'm hearing
What happened to Kemp?
Jacketfan606 Wrote:David jones from belfry coaches at phelps now is what I'm hearing
I wouldn't trade Chappell for two of him.
Time to let Chappell's wife and kids go back home to Bell County, I don't need my kids growing up and not knowing how good Middlesboro football is. They need to grow up watching them win.
Jojo Kemp to Middlesboro is heating up.
Tommy Greer, Wayne Mills,Scott Russell, take your pick from any of the Corbin coaching staff. They might bring some players with them
Superfly Wrote:Tommy Greer, Wayne Mills,Scott Russell, take your pick from any of the Corbin coaching staff. They might bring some players with them

It definitely won’t be Tommy, he just took promotion to Corbin board of education that is gonna have him leaving coaching after this season. His coaching days are done.
Jones has done a great job at Phelps.
E's Army Wrote:Jones has done a great job at Phelps.

No he hasn't. He got beat badly by a mediocre Lynn Camp team.
Regardless of whom they hire for the job, assembling a staff will be a big challenge. Does anyone know if the new hire will have a chance to bring in an assistant or two with him?
pjdoug Wrote:No he hasn't. He got beat badly by a mediocre Lynn Camp team.

Yeah, he has. That is an incredibly tough job and he's made them quite a bit better.
Agreed. Anyone that knows anything about what kind of teams Phelps has fielded over the previous years before he took over there knows the huge improvement that they have experienced.
HCS Wrote:Yeah, he has. That is an incredibly tough job and he's made them quite a bit better.

Whatever you want to think.No, he hasn't.
pjdoug Wrote:Whatever you want to think.No, he hasn't.

They went from 0-10 in 2015, losing 36-0 to East Ridge (just one example), to 5-5 in 2018, beating East Ridge 44-0.

Looks like improvement to me.
HCS Wrote:They went from 0-10 in 2015, losing 36-0 to East Ridge (just one example), to 5-5 in 2018, beating East Ridge 44-0.

Looks like improvement to me.

You can sugar coat it if you want. slight improvement, but still mediocre.
Mediocre may be true, but that's a big improvement from one of the worst teams in the state.
You got to start somewhere. Jones started at ground zero.
E's Army Wrote:You got to start somewhere. Jones started at ground zero.
In fairness, he started at less than zero there. No home field for several years, improved by winning over teams they had no shot at before, etc. Now people over there are genuinely excited about football. They still have quite a bit to learn about being fans, but they’re on the path back to doing that. Will they ever challenge the Pikevilles and Hazards and so forth? I don’t think there is a coach around that can do that for them, at least consistently. A special run of talent might make it possible for a few years, but the geographical isolation they have would make it very difficult to say the least. I root for them to do well though, honestly. So David HAS done a very good job, but do I think he’s ready for a Middlesboro level job with the somewhat unrealistic expectations and pressures it entails? Not yet. Anyone who walks thru those doors there is walking into a snake pit at first, and would take someone with a ton of respect beside their name and a proven record in order to satisfy the fans and get them to accept that Middlesboro is not the team of old and will take a rebuilding project. If they can temper their expectations to accept that, someone like David could do well there. He’s energetic, a generally very positive coach (from what I see and hear), and doesn’t have football knowledge and is young enough that many kids today do remember his UK glory days which could entice them to leave the hallway and join the team. Gotta have depth and get what you can out of it.