Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 3A Playoff Bracket
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Still not a fan of cross bracketing. I understand it adds variety and there's a chance of better teams advancing. I get that. But this is high school. I'm still from the school of each region having a representative, even though regions make less sense for the current realignment. I know that means the final four teams are not necessarily the best four. Without seeding, there's no way to guarantee the top four will advance. West Virginia uses a seeding method, but I don't think it sparks much interest when the 16th teams travels to the 1 team to get crushed, and it could be a 5 hour or more trip.

I know the best 16 basketball teams don't make the Sweet 16. But each region has an interest in the tournament, because they have a "local" team going for it. I hope cross bracketing doesn't start happening with basketball regions.

I have said it before and will say it again.

Only allowing three teams from each District to advance to the playoffs and seeding the Semi-States is the quickest way to increase competition and eliminate blowouts.

Seeding the entire State does not work from a geographic standpoint, but seeding the Semi-States would achieve most of what you want and getting rid of the 1 vs. 4 game gets rid of numerous blowout games.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I have said it before and will say it again.

Only allowing three teams from each District to advance to the playoffs and seeding the Semi-States is the quickest way to increase competition and eliminate blowouts.

Seeding the entire State does not work from a geographic standpoint, but seeding the Semi-States would achieve most of what you want and getting rid of the 1 vs. 4 game gets rid of numerous blowout games.

I would agree. I didn't like just one team advancing (back in the 70's) and your season often was literally over by the third game of the season.(As an example, the Belfry/Russell game was often early, and Johnson Central didn't factor in much at that time).

Two teams advancing gave teams chances to recover their seasons from scenarios like above. But I didn't (and still don't care for) 4 district teams advancing for the obvious reasons of blowouts and potential injuries. Sure, it's nice for the kids to make the playoffs, if for only the pride of saying they played in them. I get that. But your scenario makes the most sense. But as we often experience, logic doesn't always get consideration.
Lawrence will win that region with a good game in the final against central,the they'll spank the redhounds
Asual42 Wrote:Lawrence will win that region with a good game in the final against central,the they'll spank the redhounds

Guessing this is the joke of the day!:lmao:
Asual42 Wrote:Lawrence will win that region with a good game in the final against central,the they'll spank the redhounds

Keep dreaming Alice Wonderland will be closing the first round of the playoffs for ya if not then definitely the 2nd
:Thumbs:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I work in a career where communication is vital. And you sir, have me at a loss for words.
REGION 2:
(1) Fleming County v (4) Garrard County
(2) Lexington Catholic v (3) Bath County
(2) Russell v (3) Western Hills
(1) Boyle County v (4) West Carter

I'm calling a sweep. Garrard is a bad match-up even for 1 seed Fleming.
F.N.L. Wrote:REGION 2:
(1) Fleming County v (4) Garrard County
(2) Lexington Catholic v (3) Bath County
(2) Russell v (3) Western Hills
(1) Boyle County v (4) West Carter

I'm calling a sweep. Garrard is a bad match-up even for 1 seed Fleming.

That would be huge if a district did that. Garrard is only 3-6 but they have a very tough district. Fleming Co hasn't been playing all cupcakes either though. I do believe Garrard will give them a good game though. I completely agree with the rest of the bracket. Garrard and Fleming will be interesting to watch.
Rip/Spin Wrote:That would be huge if a district did that. Garrard is only 3-6 but they have a very tough district. Fleming Co hasn't been playing all cupcakes either though. I do believe Garrard will give them a good game though. I completely agree with the rest of the bracket. Garrard and Fleming will be interesting to watch.

I said when the cross bracketing alignment 1st came out that this was not a good deal for D5 in 2017....but let’s give credit where it is due: D4 is loaded. If matched against D6 they win 3 of 4, D7 they sweep, D8 would be 2 for sure and the WH/ Casey Co matchup would be a toss up.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I said when the cross bracketing alignment 1st came out that this was not a good deal for D5 in 2017....but let’s give credit where it is due: D4 is loaded. If matched against D6 they win 3 of 4, D7 they sweep, D8 would be 2 for sure and the WH/ Casey Co matchup would be a toss up.

I totally agree with you except on the Western Hills/Casey Co. game. After watching Casey play Corbin, I believe Casey wins that game. Their defense is very solid. They impressed me against the run. They wouldn't give up 70+ to Lex. Cath. and I even believe they could beat them. They couldn't beat Boyle but maybe keep the game from being a complete blowout. (I believe Boyle and Belfry square off for the title in Lexington) I'm glad to see Western Hills and Casey having some success. It's good for their districts to have more competitive teams. Both teams were doormats for others for a long time. Good luck to all these teams!
Rip/Spin Wrote:I totally agree with you except on the Western Hills/Casey Co. game. After watching Casey play Corbin, I believe Casey wins that game. Their defense is very solid. They impressed me against the run. They wouldn't give up 70+ to Lex. Cath. and I even believe they could beat them. They couldn't beat Boyle but maybe keep the game from being a complete blowout. (I believe Boyle and Belfry square off for the title in Lexington) I'm glad to see Western Hills and Casey having some success. It's good for their districts to have more competitive teams. Both teams were doormats for others for a long time. Good luck to all these teams!

Boyle Co/ Belfry has been set up since day one unless something really unexpected happens so alignment this season really didn't matter. Glad that WH, Casey, Lex Cath, Belfry, Boyle Co, and Corbin are all having great years. Even happier that they are ALL on the same (other) side of the bracket next year!!
Ok guys have we figured out who comes to Belfry next week
Rip/Spin Wrote:I totally agree with you except on the Western Hills/Casey Co. game. After watching Casey play Corbin, I believe Casey wins that game. Their defense is very solid. They impressed me against the run. They wouldn't give up 70+ to Lex. Cath. and I even believe they could beat them. They couldn't beat Boyle but maybe keep the game from being a complete blowout. (I believe Boyle and Belfry square off for the title in Lexington) I'm glad to see Western Hills and Casey having some success. It's good for their districts to have more competitive teams. Both teams were doormats for others for a long time. Good luck to all these teams!

I agree with you. I think Casey could get by Western Hills, and would also beat Lex Catholic. Boyle looks scary and I do not like our chances in that game. Of course the Belfry/Corbins, and whatever Central has got, no one could favor Casey over those guys. One other team I personally wouldn't want to match up with is E-Town. Maybe I'm overrating those guys, but I know our weaknesses, and E-Town has a lot of weapons to attack our weakness.
So I’m hearing Thomas Nelson is coming to Cam next weekend anybody else heard the same
Acoordng to the KHSAA app. Their brackets have been updated. Thomas Nelson does come
To the CAM next Friday. Winner of the game gets the winner of Waggener and Lawrence Co.
skully03 Wrote:Acoordng to the KHSAA app. Their brackets have been updated. Thomas Nelson does come
To the CAM next Friday. Winner of the game gets the winner of Waggener and Lawrence Co.

Thanks buddy that’s what I thought
To be honest, since the khsaa has sunk to new lows in allowing cross bracketing anyways increasing travel time, the district games should be scrapped.
Keep the same amount of teams in the playoffs, same type of brackets.
Seed the region's and go from there.
Or seed the entire state.
Top 2 teams from each district should advance to playoffs. Cut down on blowouts and shorten season by one week. If you are not in the top two of your district it is hard to complain about not making the playoffs
E's Army Wrote:Top 2 teams from each district should advance to playoffs. Cut down on blowouts and shorten season by one week. If you are not in the top two of your district it is hard to complain about not making the playoffs

I totally agree with everything you said! I just wonder over the years how many star players from really good teams have went down to injuries playing these 1st and 2nd round games that are not even competitive, almost all the time, and end up costing those teams when they do get to real playoff football. Top 2 teams from each district makes perfect sense to me.
smoke1015 Wrote:I agree with you. I think Casey could get by Western Hills, and would also beat Lex Catholic. Boyle looks scary and I do not like our chances in that game. Of course the Belfry/Corbins, and whatever Central has got, no one could favor Casey over those guys. One other team I personally wouldn't want to match up with is E-Town. Maybe I'm overrating those guys, but I know our weaknesses, and E-Town has a lot of weapons to attack our weakness.

Etown has 20+ SRs that make up a 35% of their team. They will step back next season but will come out of Region 1 this year to play Boyle on Thanksgiving and host the game. Could be interesting.
E's Army Wrote:Belfry vs Corbin show down is coming

if...
smoke1015 Wrote:I've been on here and will remain so. If YOU can't take some comeback take your hot little tail down to the grocery and get the ingredients to bake me a pie.

Confusednicker:
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Confusednicker:

crow pie for you :biggrin:
smoke1015 Wrote:I've been on here and will remain so. If YOU can't take some comeback take your hot little tail down to the grocery and get the ingredients to bake me a pie.

Where there's smoke there's fire :flame: .
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Etown has 20+ SRs that make up a 35% of their team. They will step back next season but will come out of Region 1 this year to play Boyle on Thanksgiving and host the game. Could be interesting.

They’ll take a step back; for how long is TBD. They took a step back in 16 for the first few games of the year from losing 20 something seniors from their ‘15 team that got beat bye LexCath in the 3A semis also.

Their younger groups are loaded. They have a junior (or maybe sophomore class) who are made up of a lot of kids that would start for many out there (especially skill wise).

The current freshman class they say might be the best yet to come of the last few years. They have the potential. Great numbers and they were MS State Champs in their division as 8th graders.

Their 8th graders this year won the regular season conference title; a conference that is made of feeder schools for 6A Meade County, 6A Central Hardin, 6A North Hardin, 4A John Hardin and LaRue County.

E-town is going nowhere. It’s a first class independent school system in a booming county (Hardin) of well over 100K people and growing by the day. It’s the “who’s who” of the area.

They have a new facility that’s by far the nicest on I-65 between Louisville and Bowling Green, and they just so happened to go out and get this Hall of fame (or at least in the future) coach to lead the program.

I’m not saying they are going to turn into a Bowling Green b/c that would be a slap in the face to BG and all they have accomplished, but there are a lot of similarities in E-town & BG (the growing town, the commitment to being the best in all they do, independent school district- yes I know; that doesn’t mean Private). Very similar towns (both still growing; E-town on a little smaller scale but nonetheless) and the similarities of the school systems.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:They’ll take a step back; for how long is TBD. They took a step back in 16 for the first few games of the year from losing 20 something seniors from their ‘15 team that got beat bye LexCath in the 3A semis also.

Their younger groups are loaded. They have a junior (or maybe sophomore class) who are made up of a lot of kids that would start for many out there (especially skill wise).

The current freshman class they say might be the best yet to come of the last few years. They have the potential. Great numbers and they were MS State Champs in their division as 8th graders.

Their 8th graders this year won the regular season conference title; a conference that is made of feeder schools for 6A Meade County, 6A Central Hardin, 6A North Hardin, 4A John Hardin and LaRue County.

E-town is going nowhere. It’s a first class independent school system in a booming county (Hardin) of well over 100K people and growing by the day. It’s the “who’s who” of the area.

They have a new facility that’s by far the nicest on I-65 between Louisville and Bowling Green, and they just so happened to go out and get this Hall of fame (or at least in the future) coach to lead the program.

I’m not saying they are going to turn into a Bowling Green b/c that would be a slap in the face to BG and all they have accomplished, but there are a lot of similarities in E-town & BG (the growing town, the commitment to being the best in all they do, independent school district- yes I know; that doesn’t mean Private). Very similar towns (both still growing; E-town on a little smaller scale but nonetheless) and the similarities of the school systems.

I think E'town will be fine as well but I wonder if they will the 3A next time around. The 2015-2018 alignment numbers had them in the top 3rd of the class in size then. Their population is going up as alot of 3A and 4A schools east of I-75 are declining. Could easily see them in 4A due to that in 2 years.