Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the 13th
jamesdeane Wrote:Corbin defeats Clay 10-5 at Corbin.

That's a "take notice" win for Corbin! I am very impressed with the 10 runs scored against Clay! This just might be their year!
Did Owens give up all ten runs? If so, that is a surprise, Corbin can definitely score this year, but I still can't get past the fact they gave up 18 in three innings to Middlesboro. They play North twice, get a good gauge on them in those games.
Van Hagar Wrote:Did Owens give up all ten runs? If so, that is a surprise, Corbin can definitely score this year, but I still can't get past the fact they gave up 18 in three innings to Middlesboro. They play North twice, get a good gauge on them in those games.
According to Game Changer, Owens pitched 6 innings.
jamesdeane Wrote:According to Game Changer, Owens pitched 6 innings.

Being at Corbin, that would be the entire game. Corbin would only hit 6 times.
I think some of the 13ths top teams haven't played a lot of teams that can consistently put the ball in play against good pitching. Then when they play a team that doesn't strike out 15-16 times a game they don't make all the plays. Let's see how this effects North!
So far, I've seen every school in the 13th play except for North, jackson co., and Harlan County
The best team I've seen on the field so far is middlesboro and its really not that close.
MBoros pitcher is almost untouchable at times.
I still think North, Corbin, and Clay have a great shot, but the rest of region isn't to close at this point.
Middlesboro has outscored opponents 110-7 this year..
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Middlesboro has outscored opponents 110-7 this year..
This is truly a remarkable stat.
Corbin beats south 10-0 in 5 innings tonight.
This one really makes me wonder, Harlan Independent 1-Middlesboro 0!! My rankings as of April 14, 9:30 a.m.
1. North Laurel

2. Corbin
3. Clay County
4. Harlan County
5. Middlesboro
6. South Laurel
walterwhite Wrote:This one really makes me wonder, Harlan Independent 1-Middlesboro 0!! My rankings as of April 14, 9:30 a.m.
1. North Laurel

2. Corbin
3. Clay County
4. Harlan County
5. Middlesboro
6. South Laurel

Even though Middlesboro beat Corbin 18-2 in 3 innings? Other than Clay County, have they beaten a decent team? I know Middlesboro hasn't really played a tough schedule either...but they did drub them in the head to head.

I would also argue that it is too early to say NL is ahead of the pack really. They only beat SL 4-0. They will face a few tough teams within the region in the coming week or so, so we will get to see how good they really are.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Even though Middlesboro beat Corbin 18-2 in 3 innings? Other than Clay County, have they beaten a decent team? I know Middlesboro hasn't really played a tough schedule either...but they did drub them in the head to head.

I would also argue that it is too early to say NL is ahead of the pack really. They only beat SL 4-0. They will face a few tough teams within the region in the coming week or so, so we will get to see how good they really are.

This very well could be the year someone besides North or South wins the 13th, but based on what I've seen, North is still WAY ahead of most of the region. Nobody, including North, plays anyone really good to see exactly how good they are. North has Gregory who has big time pitching experience, defeating Scott County in the state tournament, for example, and that gives North a BIG advantage. We will see how it all shakes out! This weekend should be interesting!
So far, status quo in the 13th! North in the finals against Rockcastle County by drilling Henry Clay 15-1. South beats both Clay County and Harlan County in the losers bracket. The road to Owensboro still runs through London!
North shuts out Rockcastle County 10-0. Anxious to see the North- Corbin match-up! Also, don't count out South just yet, as they had 2 nice in region wins.
This region blows my mind.

First of all, completely agree with Walter. North sits solely at the top. After that, its anybody's guess.

First of all, Middlesboro looks like state champions for a few games, and follow it up with some head scratchers.
Corbin IMO, looked like the only team that could hang with North, but have games like the blowout loss to Mboro. I think with Corbin, it has a lot to do with who they have pitching.
South could honestly lose to Wburg in the first round of district or make the region title game. Who knows.
Clay was playing well but had a few bad losses.

Id say....

North

Corbin

Clay County
Harlan County
Middlesboro
Harlan

South
Williamsburg
Knox Central

Everyone else
I think South may be ready to move up some, they made some position changes this weekend that were sorely overdue, and looked like a totally different, improved team. Plus, now they think they may get Powenski back for the last month of the season. North played as well as I have seen them play in three or four years in that win over a really good Rockcastle team that hadn't lost in state this year. Corbin is the wild card, they definitely have some offensive firepower, but like you said they have some head scratchers like the Middlesboro game or giving up nine runs yesterday to a mediocre Montgomery Co
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This region blows my mind.

First of all, completely agree with Walter. North sits solely at the top. After that, its anybody's guess.

First of all, Middlesboro looks like state champions for a few games, and follow it up with some head scratchers.
Corbin IMO, looked like the only team that could hang with North, but have games like the blowout loss to Mboro. I think with Corbin, it has a lot to do with who they have pitching.
South could honestly lose to Wburg in the first round of district or make the region title game. Who knows.
Clay was playing well but had a few bad losses.

Id say....

North

Corbin

Clay County
Harlan County
Middlesboro
Harlan

South
Williamsburg
Knox Central

Everyone else

I'm no expert on softball, but I'm pretty sure South at least belongs in the same group at HCHS and Middlesboro after beating them both yesterday. I'd agree with everything else.
I must say that I am impressed with North. I thought their pitching would be good but would struggle with runs. Scoring 10 off Rockcastle is impressive. I still think Corbin has best 1-2 pitching combo and impressive offense but they struggle fielding. Errors could be there downfall. I know South lost big to Corbin but very good wins against Clay and Harlan Co. It could be a very interesting region. North has yet to lose, Corbin has played Harlan Co, Clay , South and Middlesboro with good wins except Middlesboro and South has shown some fight.
[quote=Softball Queen]I must say that I am impressed with North. I thought their pitching would be good but would struggle with runs. Scoring 10 off Rockcastle is impressive. I still think Corbin has best 1-2 pitching combo and impressive offense but they struggle fielding. Errors could be there downfall. I know South lost big to Corbin but very good wins against Clay and Harlan Co. It could be a very interesting region. North has yet to lose, Corbin has played Harlan Co, Clay , South and Middlesboro with good wins except Middlesboro and South has shown some fight.[/QUOTE

You can only pitch 1 at a time, and pitching depth only comes into play with an injury or state tournament. Gregory's big game experience trumps depth! It's Norths to lose!
If North would have only had Gregory last year in Region Championship Clay would have went to state. Vires came in and shut Clay down and won the game with some offensive help but Clay had Gregory number that game. Another experienced pitched saved North. Experience is big but everyone struggles and that is when you need pitching depth.
The year North won the state championship we had one pitcher who threw 95+% of every pitch thrown that year. But if she had got hurt at some point, no state title. And I have to admit, it was nice to have another really good arm last year when Clay was pounding Gregory in the first few innings of the regional final. Vires came in and shut the door the rest of the way. But Gregory looks like a much better, more mature pitcher this year, I believe North can win the region with only her throwing if she stays healthy.
This is this year, not last year or any other year. And injuries can come to any team at any time. Depth is great, but like I stated earlier, only 1 pitches at a time! I do agree it is a luxury to be able to go to the bullpen when your starter doesn't have it.
Softball Queen Wrote:If North would have only had Gregory last year in Region Championship Clay would have went to state. Vires came in and shut Clay down and won the game with some offensive help but Clay had Gregory number that game. Another experienced pitched saved North. Experience is big but everyone struggles and that is when you need pitching depth.

North's ability to come back from a huge deficit played as big of a role last year as pitching depth!
I'm not disagreeing with you on the pitching, if I was building a team from scratch and you gave me the choice of one stud pitcher with a mediocre backup or two somewhat above average pitchers, I would always take the stud with the so-so backup