Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAL 48 Mayfield 24
Everyone gets a taste of crow eventually, I got mine tonight.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Everyone gets a taste of crow eventually, I got mine tonight.

As long as 55 got at least a bite or 2 also then it's ok!! Confusednicker:
Hats off to a better team. CAL was just better. Totally controlled trenches. Time to start getting ready for next on Monday
The Cards seniors go out winners of 55 games with 4 losses and 3 state titles
Briar jumper bd Wrote:PJ that's a comforting thought tonight! 😁. You know what all his cocky predictions, Mayfield and my team has is common???..... we none are going to BowlingGreen! Lol...

Confusednicker:
Please remember we have a couple on here that post for Mayfield that had sons that where seniors, so I'm sure its an emotional time for them. 55 does talk some smack, but he's a good guy.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Hats off to a better team. CAL was just better. Totally controlled trenches. Time to start getting ready for next on Monday
The Cards seniors go out winners of 55 games with 4 losses and 3 state titles

Heck of a run for sure, the underclassmen have some big shoes to fill, but there is plenty of talent left plus some good ones in middle school coming in next year.
Well, I certainly didn't see this coming. CAL totally dominated at the point of attack, like I haven't seen a team dominate us since probably 08. They look really good. I mean really good. I wish them best of luck. I think we will probably see them this time next year in Mayfield. We have a lot of work to do to be ready for them.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Everyone gets a taste of crow eventually, I got mine tonight.

I wouldn't say you have to eat crow, as i have never heard you take it too far.
Now on the other hand a certain other is at the all you can eat crow buffet as he could not see any possible scenario where Mayfield could lose to The Universty of Alabama much less a lowly high school team like CAL!
Why would you see a scenario where you could get beat? A team that has went to the big dance 7 straight years. A team that has won it 4 straight years. A team that had almost a complete line that was a year older and stronger. A team that returned the starting qb and RB as well as a role reciever. A team that had so much talent that it was considered to be the best team since the undefeated state champs of 2010. You are not supposed to go in thinking you could get beat and who would with that assemblage of talent. CAL was just that dang good. I'm telling you they are a force to be reckoned with. We have to make up a lot of ground over the off season.
So this is what it feels like..... I am not accustom to this feeling, honestly it is painful not to win it all.
Knew this say would come at some point but sure wish it could have come in say 2025 or so.
Anyway, after the sting goes away I can look back and say it was another hell of a season. CAL was just more talented in the trenches and had Wright who is the best as a sophomore that I saw this year.

A question that I was pondering while driving home butt hurt is whether we were better than DeSales, hard to say but they did a better job against CAL than we did. We may have been the 3rd best team in the tough west. Kinda like playing in the SEC West, guess CAL is the new Bama.
Anyway, great season but the loss certainly changes where this team will be remembered when thinking of the best teams in program history as history tends to remember the teams that bring home the titles.
I'd still take this Mayfield team over the 14, and 15 teams.
Yes it stings yes it hurts and I offer no excuses,no predictions for next year, congratulations to CAL and Danville,Mayfield fans not many teams can say we only lost one game, yes I know that one loss is a painful one,I do not have a child that is playing but proud as I can be of this one loss team. Keep your head high and not bent...Cardinal proud 4 ever
mysonis55 Wrote:Well, I certainly didn't see this coming. CAL totally dominated at the point of attack, like I haven't seen a team dominate us since probably 08. They look really good. I mean really good. I wish them best of luck. I think we will probably see them this time next year in Mayfield. We have a lot of work to do to be ready for them.

Welcome back to Earth :welcome:
mysonis55 Wrote:Why would you see a scenario where you could get beat? A team that has went to the big dance 7 straight years. A team that has won it 4 straight years. A team that had almost a complete line that was a year older and stronger. A team that returned the starting qb and RB as well as a role reciever. A team that had so much talent that it was considered to be the best team since the undefeated state champs of 2010. You are not supposed to go in thinking you could get beat and who would with that assemblage of talent. CAL was just that dang good. I'm telling you they are a force to be reckoned with. We have to make up a lot of ground over the off season.

no bird can fly so high that it doesn't have to land.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:So this is what it feels like..... I am not accustom to this feeling, honestly it is painful not to win it all.
Knew this say would come at some point but sure wish it could have come in say 2025 or so.
Anyway, after the sting goes away I can look back and say it was another hell of a season. CAL was just more talented in the trenches and had Wright who is the best as a sophomore that I saw this year.

A question that I was pondering while driving home butt hurt is whether we were better than DeSales, hard to say but they did a better job against CAL than we did. We may have been the 3rd best team in the tough west. Kinda like playing in the SEC West, guess CAL is the new Bama.
Anyway, great season but the loss certainly changes where this team will be remembered when thinking of the best teams in program history as history tends to remember the teams that bring home the titles.

it is a bad feeling for sure, but at you have been blessed a lot over the years.
Hey, I can live with this. We got beat by a really good team. It wasn't because of bad calls. It wasn't because of missed opportunities. It wasn't because of lack of effort. It was because they were just so sound and strong up front that we could not win the game at the line as we normally do. This team played with heart until the final whistle. And I will say that the CAL players and staff acted respectful and showed class. I can handle that kind of stuff. When you line up and give it all you got and you just can't win the battle, then you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know of many teams that can say they played in 7 state championships in a row, won 5 out of the last 6 and won the last 4 in a row. Then the only way they get knocked out is to make it to the semi finals in the 8th year of that run, while riding a 24 game winning streak. Heck, they have a movie called Friday Night Lights, about a team in Texas that didn't achieve near that much.
I've said all year that last year's Mayfield team was better and I still think so.
Asking Desales, CAL and possibly Mayfield fans, not trying to stir up controversy or anything just curious, do you think last year's CAL team would have matched up better with last year's Mayfield team?
No. Last year Mayfield had power linemen to stop the big linemen of CAL. Remember they could have utilized Hernandez, Jackson and Adams. They whipped DeSales line most of the night and DeSales controlled CAL's line. I also don't think the freshman qb and wr duo would have been mentally prepared for that one. I think Kennemore at safety was probably one of the best safeties we had in a long time other than Chase Sevic. He wouldn't have allowed the freshman behind him.
Another huge difference last year was our kicking game. We could keep teams backed up. Friday it was the reverse of that. CAL kicked into the endzone and we kept giving them the ball outside their 30 on kick offs.
I bet our line next year will be as strong as it has been since big boy ball back in the 70's thru 90's. They will not take this loss lightly. I happen to know one of the seniors immediately after the game Friday told them to get their butts in gear as of today and take back what is ours.
Has anyone rewatched the game? I originally thought the difference was line play, but MF's lines actually held their own. Sure, CAL got the better of it and made some plays, but it was closer to even than most realize. This game was decided by special teams, some crippling penalties at some really inopportune times, and turnovers. The kicking game left MF fighting a field position disadvantage all night. Hats off to CAL, they earned their trip to BG and they deserve to be there. In my opinion, the suggestion that this game was a blowout or a mismatch is stretching it.
Let me say this. CAL was a very good team and they beat us in the trenches and 100% deserved to win the game. I take absolutely nothing away from them. In saying that, I'm not ready to proclaim CAL and Desales King of the Hill just yet. In 2 years, Mayfield is 1-1 against them. While the DL play for CAL was very good, the Cards did manage to score 24 1st half points in what I'd consider a very average first 1/2 of football in what they typically played. The 2nd half was a different story, but, that was mainly due to Mayfields kicking game vs CALs kicking game. Huge difference there and this is the 1st year in this 8 year run that Mayfield hasn't had a great kicking game where their place kicker could put the ball in the end zone and routinely make a 40 yard field goal, longer in some years. Plus, they've had punters who could average 35-45 yards, but, this was just one of those years where they lacked in the kicking department. CAL, on the other hand, had a kicker that did to Mayfield what Mayfield usually does to others, which is make other teams have to drive the ball 80 yards because of touchbacks. Until this game, that deficiency hadn't reared it's head, but, it sure did in this one. CAL got a couple of 3 and outs and got the ball in great field position and managed to score a couple of 3rd quarter TDs and take the lead. A couple of turnovers and a pick 6 turned a close 1 score game into a bigger margin than it should have been. I still feel like Mayfield had the better skill players as a whole. Wright's a stud and was the best skill player on the field, but, I still like the nucleus of skill players that Mayfield possessed. I heard someone mention on another site that CAL and Mayfield could play 10 times and CAL would win all 10. I definitely disagree with that. I do think they'd win the majority, maybe 6 to 4, even 7 to 3, but, not all by any means. I fully expect Mayfield to continue making long playoff runs and getting to the semi's more years than not and 1/2 of those will be at home, so, I certainly think they'll win their fair share of those, not every year, but enough that 10 years from now, teams like CAL and Desales will know that they'll have to beat a very solid Mayfield team on an annual basis and they'll know it will be a big challenge. At the same time, I think Mayfield will understand that, at well, when they have to play one or the other of them. Remember, the Cards don't have to beat both of them, just one or the other in a 1 game scenario and in that type situation, I really like the Cards coaching staff to have them prepared and ready to go. This loss may well be a blessing in disguise and force them to up their game to an even higher level.
Mayfield, and the rest of 2a will probably only see Desales, and CAL for 2 more years. They was only in 2a this alignment by a few boys, and that was only due to them using a 4 year average, instead of the usual 2 year average the khsaa had been using in the past. Those schools are growing, so I don't see this being a long rivalry. You also have to consider the fact Mayfield is right on the edge of 1a/2a, so its possible Mayfield could go back to 1a. In 2019 its very possible Mayfield being in 1a, and CAL, and Desales both being in 3a, so I think the chance of all 3 of them being in 2a together is slim.
Mayfield should do everything they can to stay 2A. In 1A they never have a tough game til the semis.
Cal had play a good schedule I knew it would be a tough game for Mayfield Look how bad they beat Central only loss to 6A Simon Kenton. They win the 2A championship over Danville.
There are 2 areas that need to be fixed before next season. First and most glaring was the line play in the last game. It was unusual for them boys to get pushed around. I promise you that won't happen again. The linemen took it personally and have great work ethic. They will not miss a day in the weight room in the off season. They will be the strongest line in 2a next year. Second was the kicking game. Again it will be better. We were relying on 2 sophomores. They will be a year stronger and better next year.

Now, the only issue that we had at qb this year was height, or lack there of. CAL used that better than any team we played the last 3 years and took advantage of it. If Landon was 6 feet tall, he may not have thrown an int all year. I know for sure that problem is resolved. Both options are over 6 feet tall. One is very immobile and that scares me a little. The other is close to as fast as Landon. Both are very smart just like Landon or the Guhy's.

RB, well, we are Mayfield. We have so many great options there, one doesn't even have to think about it. All but 1 reciever is back and that is a strength as we have lots of speed. Plus, all of these boys have had a great pool of teachers and role models in this years senior class. They will know how to act and perform like champions.